The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Upcoming A7rII

wolf65

Looks like we will get an announcement next week according to SAR.
Can't wait.
I'll be all over the A7RII (If the price is right).
;)
well as much as i wish that would be true, i don't trust this guy from sar a lot. for about half a year he'd been announcing tons of nonsense reagarding the release of a new 7r and all his highly rated quotes of his 'trusted sources' did not change anything about that.
furthermore it seems basically he is the source of the majority of sony related rumors that are circulating the web for months.

The Ute

well as much as i wish that would be true, i don't trust this guy from sar a lot. for about half a year he'd been announcing tons of nonsense reagarding the release of a new 7r and all his highly rated quotes of his 'trusted sources' did not change anything about that.
furthermore it seems basically he is the source of the majority of sony related rumors that are circulating the web for months.
And speaking of SAR, the latest rumor has the A7rII w the same 36MP but
w a new hi-resolution shooting mode.
That would require IBIS and possibly a silent shutter.

V

Vivek

I would not be too enthusiastic this time around. Though the shake mech and silent shutter (if true) would be very desirable, I would like to see if they improved the hardware (processor) and the high ISO quality. I suspect it would be marginal.

The Ute

I would not be too enthusiastic this time around. Though the shake mech and silent shutter (if true) would be very desirable, I would like to see if they improved the hardware (processor) and the high ISO quality. I suspect it would be marginal.[/QUOTE

I don't care about high ISO performance.
And I would imagine the processor would have to be upgraded in some way
to handle the extra load.
All I really wanted was IBIS/shutter and a price I could afford.
The rest is gravy.

I would not be too enthusiastic this time around. Though the shake mech and silent shutter (if true) would be very desirable, I would like to see if they improved the hardware (processor) and the high ISO quality. I suspect it would be marginal.
I suspect that the high pixel count will not play in favour of the high ISO quality.
Silent shutter and IBIS (likely) and uncompressed raw files (unlikely) will be very much appreciated.

V

Vivek

I was wondering if there is any downside to ISIS.
Do you think of any ?
I think you meant IBIS.

[I was quite familiar with ISIS ISIS/Draw - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Nowadays, ISIS google search brings up something totally different! ]

Yes, there has been few reports of mechanical freeze ups (A7 II). David ("Viramati") reported on his ordeal with his A7 II.

I think it also adds to the shutter lag.

EDIT: Also a drain on the battery.

ggibson

I seem to recall Fuji saying they opted to forgo lens stabilization in their 16-55/2.8 pro zoom to optimize image quality. So maybe in certain cases there can be a small amount of degradation caused by image stabilization itself? It could be an issue with a super-high-res sensor.

Here are my predictions for the A7rII to include:
- Higher-res sensor 50+MP with improved ISO performance (already seeing Canon's version... Sony will be better)
- IBIS (there was a rumor against this, but I'm guessing it'll be there)
- A7II body style (duh)
- Better AF, but not A6000-speed (probably still lacking PDAF though)
- New 14-bit RAW process (rumored in the works)

Lacking:
- No silent shutter (sensor readout too slow for such high res)
- No High-res multi-shot mode a la E-M5II (unnecessary)
- No 4K (sensor readout too slow, desire to differentiate A7sII or whatever)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
So many rumors I'm counting nothing out nor nothing in. Just waiting for something directly from the horse itself.

Biglou

Thanks Vivek, Jonathan and ggibson, yes i meant Ibis.
The principle is appealing but i thought it could also bring problems of its own, probably more and more when the camera gets older.

Last edited: