The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Upcoming A7rII

uhoh7

I'm interested to see new body style :)

I've learned now that MP count has little to do with performance, except if you like to crop alot. LOL

Stefan Steib

I have been co-shooting the 5Dsr for a day for a fashiontest for "digit!" Magazine last week in cologne.
As a comparison we had an IQ250 with an 80mm LS lens on a DF+. And I have to say when we were looking through the footage, there was nearly no difference between the Canon and the Phase. Not on sharpness nor on colors or DR. In fact we did mix up the results several times and had to look at the file name at comparison.

Canon plays this very cool right now, but expect the camera to be a huge success.
And it already is. The preorders are legion.....

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

V

Vivek

This whole A7r replacement thing is really dragging out.
:(
What is the rush? We have a set of slow zooms, a few humongous (current and upcoming) primes. A set of 4 FF NEX'. One more would not do much.

The Ute

What is the rush? We have a set of slow zooms, a few humongous (current and upcoming) primes. A set of 4 FF NEX'. One more would not do much.[/QU

What else, I'm impatient.
:)

Seriously ? I want those extra MP's packaged into an IBIS body.
The A7II I have on loan is not cutting it for my needs.

algrove

What is the rush? We have a set of slow zooms, a few humongous (current and upcoming) primes. A set of 4 FF NEX'. One more would not do much.[/QU

What else, I'm impatient.
:)

Seriously ? I want those extra MP's packaged into an IBIS body.
The A7II I have on loan is not cutting it for my needs.
Can you kindly explain what about the A7II does not work for your needs? TIA

henningw

With respect to optical stabilization vs. IBIS, optical requires movement of lens groups. This makes optical quality optimization much more difficult; the faster the lens and the shorter the focal length, the greater the problems. IBIS is free of those problems. Its main problem is keeping the image plane exactly perpendicular to the lens axis, and that is a much easier problem to deal with.

BTW, if the new Sony could have the shutter options (electronic first curtain or both, with or without settable delays) and the IBIS of the new Olympus EM-5 vII, I would be ecstatic. That camera sets the standard. Unfortunately, good as it is, the IBIS in the A7II isn't quite of that caliber.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'll just be happy with the higher resolution sensor in an A7II form factor. I'll be pisssed though if they change the grip and body dimensions again as the cost of new RRS plates get expensive!

IBIS is nice but since I mostly shoot from a tripod anyway less relevant to me personally, especially since the A7II/A7S are my travel cameras. (Ok, I admit that I'd end up using an A7rII a lot if it's as good as the A7II). The electronic shutter though would be very welcome.

algrove

I am pleased with 24MP and since I would use the A7II mostly for street it is fine as is except for the way Sony handles RAW files.

ShooterSteve

I have been co-shooting the 5Dsr for a day for a fashiontest for "digit!" Magazine last week in cologne.
As a comparison we had an IQ250 with an 80mm LS lens on a DF+. And I have to say when we were looking through the footage, there was nearly no difference between the Canon and the Phase. Not on sharpness nor on colors or DR. In fact we did mix up the results several times and had to look at the file name at comparison.

Canon plays this very cool right now, but expect the camera to be a huge success.
And it already is. The preorders are legion.....

Greetings from Germany
Stefan
I certainly think the 5Dsr is going to be a winner for Canon but for me, unless the dynamic range is on par with Sony/Nikon - I'm still going to need my Sony for architectural work. Once you get used to the extra stops of shadow/highlight detail from the Sony, it's very hard to give up. From your tests between the 5Dsr and the Phase, I'm guessing that the dynamic range is about the same between the two?

tn1krr

I certainly think the 5Dsr is going to be a winner for Canon but for me, unless the dynamic range is on par with Sony/Nikon - I'm still going to need my Sony for architectural work. Once you get used to the extra stops of shadow/highlight detail from the Sony, it's very hard to give up. From your tests between the 5Dsr and the Phase, I'm guessing that the dynamic range is about the same between the two?
The RAW files from 5Dsr are already available and they confirm that Canon's "patented issues" are still there and limit the DR below ISO 800. Pushing shadows bring up column noise that is caused off-sensor ADCs and analog and more simple dark current subtraction etc. So if there is any DR improvement it is gonna be rather marginal and Canon is still likely to be a few stops behind on what can be achieved by cameras with Sony Exmor sensor.

Pretty easy to see for example here by selecting Nikon D810 or Sony A7R to comparison with 5Ds and check ISO100 + 6 (or ISO200 +5) stop push examples behind link below

Canon EOS 5DS / 5DS R First Impressions Review: Digital Photography Review

Last edited:

The Ute

I'm betting that Sony does not want to be "upstaged" by the new Leica on 6/11.
So we'll have to wait till later in the Month for any Sony announcements.

turtle

The A7R II is gonna be exciting, but... the new Batis lenses I feel are much more so. After all, you need the lenses to realise the sensor's potential and we are finally getting there. In the meantime, the original A7R still punches out phenomenal images.

V

Vivek

That raises the expectation on the Batii even more. I do not think that is fair. It would be interesting to see how many samples you would go through before finding that "gem". :)

V

Vivek

I'm betting that Sony does not want to be "upstaged" by the new Leica on 6/11.
So we'll have to wait till later in the Month for any Sony announcements.
Since when Leica is a competition to Sony?