The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Upcoming A7rII

turtle

These are Zeiss, not Sony 'Zeiss', so I'd expect it to be the same experience as with my Zeiss ZM lenses, of which I have four. All were fine right off the bat. I have only returned two Canon lenses in 14 years, one with severe decentering after massive damage to the box during delivery and another that did not focus (so not an optical issue per se). I have only returned one Leica lens out of over a dozen, due to the cam not being in the same galaxy as reality (it was about 1m out at 5m and ONLY focused perfectly at minimum distance). I have a number of imperfect lenses that I am very happy with. The issue is that Sony Zeiss QC is the worst I have ever experienced since I took up photography. QC of 20-30 year old second-hand ebay bought Canon FD and FDn lenses was worlds better (100% fine).

The Batis lenses are not going to be a replay of the 35mm FE Sonnar, otherwise Zeiss will be committing suicide and seeing as it's their baby, I don't see that happening. Damage has been done to the brand and I suspect the Batis lenses may even be priced in order to rectify that.

On the subject of earlier comments of the 5DS having amazing performance and resolution, not to mention DR, I suspect that with most wide angles we will see the shortcomings in the outer field and the 11.7-12 stops dynamic range seems to be a fact even Canon is open about. For portrait photo shoots, with modest wides, but most often standard and tele lenses, the 5DS will invariably look good as these lenses are the most even performers out there. Then there is the controlled lighting. Shoot landscapes and bed the files around and I think the sensor will show its lineage. Of course I could be completely wrong, but the numbers don't lie when it comes to DR. The 11-24 is the wild card and it may be that this lens really can make 50MP shine in the corners, but that remains to be seen. Landscapes under backlighting, with deep shadow and important corner performance is where weaknesses will show with the 5DS.

Based on what we know (and what Canon has said), I think its fair to say that any forthcoming 50MP Sony sensor is likely to be in another league compared to the 5DS. Personally, I would take a 36MP 14 stop banding free Sony sensor over a 50 MP 12 stop Canon one (with propensity for pattern noise) any time. That's personal, but I've owned Canon for years and also own the A7 and A7R, not to mention the Pentax 645Z and Ricoh GR. If truth be told, the GR's APS-C sensor runs rings around the current Canon sensors for DR and lack of pattern noise. I can see the 5DS being a huge hit with fashion and studio photographers, however and rightly so.

That raises the expectation on the Batii even more. I do not think that is fair. It would be interesting to see how many samples you would go through before finding that "gem". :)

V

Vivek

The Batis lenses are not going to be a replay of the 35mm FE Sonnar, otherwise Zeiss will be committing suicide and seeing as it's their baby, I don't see that happening. Damage has been done to the brand and I suspect the Batis lenses may even be priced in order to rectify that.
Just reiterates what I said. More pressure on whomever designed/made it based on that blue label and the price tag.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm betting you're wrong. ;)
Traditionally, Sony haven't cared much about what the competition has been doing. That attitude has given us good product like the Walkman, the RX1 and the A7, but it has also given us the Elcaset, the Minidisc and the Memory Stick.

No, I don't think they care much.

The Ute

Traditionally, Sony haven't cared much about what the competition has been doing. That attitude has given us good product like the Walkman, the RX1 and the A7, but it has also given us the Elcaset, the Minidisc and the Memory Stick.

No, I don't think they care much.
It seems common sense to me that they will want to maximize their publicity.
Why share the spotlight w Leica is all I'm saying ?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Leica is in a much higher marketing group, Sony is in its own niche market. Mirrorless is there game at a much lower price point. I honestly don't think they care much outside there own product line. To me Fuji, Olympus and Panasonic is more there mirrorless gauge to go by but they are pushing Full Frame that's there edge.

Last edited:

ebbtide

RX100 iv and RX10ii press release here:
Sony's RX100 IV and RX10 II Cameras Bring Professional Imaging Experience to... -- NEW YORK, June 10, 2015 /PRNewswire/ --

ugh, I think I'm in on both the a7rii and possibly the rx100 iv. Long-time Canon shooter. . . . I now have the a7s, 35mm 1.4, and 55. Am about to try personal travel without any Canon gear for the first time-- just with the a7s, two lenses and a Ricoh GR. Have been waiting to see the new a7rii and that may push me more in the Sony direction.

V

Vivek

The RX10ii and the RX100 iv are also packing brand new sensor technologies with amazing possibilities.

This is simply unbelievable!

Sony starting to live up to its potential being the largest sensor maker and all. Awesome! :clap:

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
I'll just be happy with the higher resolution sensor in an A7II form factor. I'll be pisssed though if they change the grip and body dimensions again as the cost of new RRS plates get expensive!

IBIS is nice but since I mostly shoot from a tripod anyway less relevant to me personally, especially since the A7II/A7S are my travel cameras. (Ok, I admit that I'd end up using an A7rII a lot if it's as good as the A7II). The electronic shutter though would be very welcome.
Graham

With the gear you have, are you really complaining about the cost of an RRS plate???? :D