The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wide angle battle

The Ute

Why not buy the A7II now and put the extra $1000 or so towards a lens or lenses?
Because I don't think the A7II will touch the new A7RII.
If The new A7R is too costly and/or does not contain significant improvements
that directly affect image quality I might just take your suggestion.
I already have some pretty good lenses.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
All I want is a bigger MPX than the A7II. Don't really need anything else added. I really like the A7II.

Seriously if you don't need the higher MPX than its not going to get that much better in the A7r or put it another way it won't be any better except for the higher MPX. There not going to add anything extra.

The Ute

Should have our questions answered within 2 weeks.
Not making any moves w respect to camera bodies till then.

The Ute

All I want is a bigger MPX than the A7II. Don't really need anything else added. I really like the A7II.

Seriously if you don't need the higher MPX than its not going to get that much better in the A7r or put it another way it won't be any better except for the higher MPX. There not going to add anything extra.
I'm hoping the new A7RII will come w IBIS and either EFCS, or silent shutter.
I actually hope they keep it at 36MP.
I'm actually after those other features AND 36MP.

Guy Mancuso

Those are a given. If they go to the A7II body than IBIS and EFSC. My point was the only difference would be the sensor.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Just sold one of my A7R's so if there's a new II version soon I'll grab one. Like Guy though I really like the super versatility of the A7II and for the situations where I use it 24mp is ... 'Sufficient'!

Guy Mancuso

Hopefully we will know something next week. I sold my A7r the other day so I'm down one cam. I'm not in a huge hurry though. More just want to know what I'm buying next. LOL

biglouis

Why not buy the A7II now and put the extra $1000 or so towards a lens or lenses?
I came to the conclusion some time back that the best investment is in glass. That's why I'm sticking with my A7R for at least 3 years (the depreciation cycle as far as I am concerned) but investing any spare cash in lenses.

I can appreciate it is probably different if you are a pro-shooter reliant on camera body and lens.

Just my two cents.

LouisB

Michiel Schierbeek

I came to the conclusion some time back that the best investment is in glass. That's why I'm sticking with my A7R for at least 3 years (the depreciation cycle as far as I am concerned) but investing any spare cash in lenses.

I can appreciate it is probably different if you are a pro-shooter reliant on camera body and lens.

Just my two cents.

LouisB
Sounds very sensible to me, but may be hard to do.

uhoh7

Other than for weight considerations why would you purchase the new
Zeiss Batis 25mm over the Sigma 24mm 1.4 Art, or even the Zeiss 24mm f2 ?
Or why not just get a proper thin cover glass and shoot the best wides in the world?

E.G. A7.mod and 24SEM. The sensor mod also vastly improved my Canon 24/2:

Bridge in to Blue by unoh7, on Flickr

The Ute

I like to print big and also pixel peep.
I hope A7r does not disappoint, and is also affordable.
I'd like to stay at 36MP and above.
The location looks familiar.
Is that the old bridge over the Virgin River in Rockville ?

iiiNelson

Or why not just get a proper thin cover glass and shoot the best wides in the world?

E.G. A7.mod and 24SEM. The sensor mod also vastly improved my Canon 24/2:

Bridge in to Blue by unoh7, on Flickr
If he's not fascinated about spending $1300 for the 25 Batis then he will be less elated about spending more on a 24 Elmar plus pay the $400 or so for a sensor conversion.

I think we all get it. You like your sensor mod. Some prefer native lenses optimized for these sensor with AF capability. Let's be honest if it takes zooming in to 200%+ to see the difference them it may not be a worthwhile mod for most.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Just my two cents.

LouisB
You are clearly far too sensible to suffer from GAS, Louis!

etrigan63

Just picked up a Canon FD 20mm f/2.8 from the 'bay. When that gets in I will have more to contribute to this discussion.