The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Definitive Sony B&W Images Thread

mediumcool

Stripey tree

Sony a7 w/adapted Rokkor 35mm f/1.7 1/250 f/5.6 ISO 200

The lens is close to 50 years of age!

Last edited:

Audii-Dudii

So my dog (Miss Abby) and I did another walkabout late last night with my FrankenKamera V digital view camera. This time, however, I was using a Sigma 24-35/f2 Art series lens instead of my usual Contax N 17-35/f2.8 -- talk about sharp! -- and, among others, came home with these photos:

To my surprise, when focused close to infinity and using ~f8 (it can be difficult to tell the exact aperture with the adapter I gutted to make a Nikon G mount recessed lens board), the Sigma 24-35/f2 -- one of their Art series lenses, btw -- has an image circle large enough to provide 4-5 mm of rise/fall/shift at 24 mm and 10-12 mm at 35 mm, with proportional amounts pretty much everywhere in between. I do wish it was a slightly larger at the 24 mm end, but so far, it's been enough.

I also have a Sigma 12-24/f4.5-5.6 Mk II zoom on hand for evaluation, but haven't used it yet. Needless to say, given my penchant for wide-angle perspectives, I expect that will be an interesting experience!

And then there are also the wide-angle primes to consider as well: 20 mm/f1.4, 24 mm/f1.4, and 35 mm/f1.4, all of which are reasonably affordable, to boot! :D

Last edited:

mediumcool

Cream brick banality

This caption even out-does my previous favourite of yours, which was 'Shuttered, in monochrome', where I particularly admired your use of the comma.
Thank you! I do enjoy alliteration, when it works. And commas—ah commas!—are not treated with the respect they deserve these days. I was for years a typesetter and print designer; you may notice that I use ‘curly’ quotation marks, and things like en-dashes and em-dashes. So, words and ‘proper’ punctuation are important to me, and punctuation is easily entered with a Macintosh™ keyboard—no need to remember four numbers on the numeric keypad!

[I had to bring up the Characters palette for the ™ but]

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Thank you! I do enjoy alliteration, when it works.
Here's a couple to quench your thirst.

Murrumbidgee River Rattler.

I saw/met The Bushwackers at a gig in a pub in Fulham, London, 1977. Dobe Newton on the Rattler. Sadly no pics.

So a Venetian Juice Joint will have to suffice.

pegelli

I was looking through some old shots from 2013 and came across this little sequence from a hotel lobby in Singapore.

1: killing time: the old-fashioned way

2: Killing time: the way of the younger generation

Who seems to be enjoying themselves most? :toocool:

Both NEX5 + Panagor 28/2 (OM mount)

Audii-Dudii

I woke up early Thursday night / Friday morning and then couldn't fall back asleep. So I grabbed my latest camera project -- a modified Cambo Wide DS body with an A7R body hung off the back and a Nikon G-mount Sigma 24-35/f2 lens hung off the front -- and headed out with my dog, Miss Abby, to do some photography around the neighborhood:

I had the lens for a 15-day evaluation period and had decided to send it back, because the timing really isn't right for me to buy more camera gear right now. In fact, it was already packed in a box and ready to ship, but because I was awake, I decided to give it one more chance to impress me and, wow, impress me it did!

After I reviewed the results later in the morning -- of which the above photo is one -- I decided I simply couldn't part with it, my present financial circumstances be damned.

Yes, its performance is just that good!

Here's another one I've just processed:

Last edited:

Audii-Dudii

Once again, I couldn't sleep, so I took advantage of the full moon and took these two photos, among others, very early this morning:

FYI, the Sigma 24-35/f2 lens continues to favorably impress me with its performance. Also, when I was composing the bottom photo above, I ran out of image circle for the very first time since I started photographing with this lens. Fortunately, it was no big deal, because I simply moved the camera slightly closer to the scene and shifted the lens downward a bit to restore the corners, then took essentially the same photo. I really did expect to run into this issue more often, but I am very pleased that -- so far, at least -- I haven't. :D

Last edited:

mediumcool

FYI, the Sigma 24-35/f2 lens continues to favorably impress me with its performance. Also, when I was composing the bottom photo above, I ran out of image circle for the very first time since I started photographing with this lens. Fortunately, it was no big deal, because I simply moved the camera slightly closer to the scene and shifted the lens downward a bit to restore the corners, then took essentially the same photo. I really did expect to run into this issue more often, but I am very pleased that -- so far, at least -- I haven't. :D
Using a Mac? To create an em-dash, type Shift-Option-Hyphen; if on another platform, oh well. ;)

Audii-Dudii

Using a Mac? To create an em-dash, type Shift-Option-Hyphen; if on another platform, oh well. ;)
As a former magazine editor, I do know the difference between a hyphen, en dash, and em dash.

But I'm working with a Windows box and it's just too much of a PITA to bother entering the ASCII code for the latter two.

Sorry!

mediumcool

As a former magazine editor, I do know the difference between a hyphen, en dash, and em dash.

But I'm working with a Windows box and it's just too much of a PITA to bother entering the ASCII code for the latter two.

Sorry!
I wasn’t making any assumptions! As I wrote, “… oh well …”. ;)

Background: I got an itch to learn typesetting in 1991, after 15 years in my commercial photography business; I had long loved reading and grew to appreciate good typography (curly quotes, anyone?). A friend whose business was run on an Amiga recommended the Mac as the most affordable solution—custom systems were many many thousands, and of course are pretty much dead.

So I bought a cheap(ish) Mac and began work, eventually setting books, and producing ads and leaflets for a range of small to mid-size businesses; I was effectively a mini-ad agency, able to provide photography and editing and layout services. I don’t do that work much any more, as it has been commoditised by the likes of Apple’s Pages. And I have a pension, so no urgent need to chase work!

:eek: