The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Definitive Sony B&W Images Thread

scho

Two with the RX1R, B&W conversion in SEP2.

1 Fisherman with 3 advisors

Park geese and poplar fluff. (custom warm/neutral split toned in LR6)

Charlie_Boy

I have posted several threads from the Miles City, Montana, Bucking Horse Sale. It is a nice 4 day event with parades, concerts, evening dances, art shows, horse races, and, of course, the Bucking Horse Sale. The sale is actually a rodeo with a number of events but my favorite is the Wild Horse Race. In this event they release wild horses and teams of cowboys try to rope and saddle them and then ride them around the track once. Almost no one makes it and there are a lot of bruises (to man and egos). Here are a few images:

I know I mentioned that I use an A7 but I should point out too that all of the images I have posted were taken with What I have come to know as the Sony Rodeo Lens, the 24-240mm FE lens. Despite any hype to the contrary, it is sharp enough and fast enough in focusing, but most, most importantly. it is discreet, discreet enough for rodeos, powwows, and similar events. I tell folks it is not a one lens solution but I suspect it will be for me in the months ahead with all the rodeos and powwows that are coming up. Oh, I'll throw the 55mm in the bag cause it is probably the sharpest lens I have ever had, and the 16-35mm since I am kinda a wide angle guy, but the 24-240 will be the workhorse.

By the way, I probably won't post any more from the Bucking Horse Sale but all of my images are at: Travels with Charlie | Miles City, Montana, Bucking Horse Sale. I mean, I just shot the Top of the World Rodeo in Cripple Creek this weekend and I have to process those images. Coming up is the Pikes Peak or Bust Rodeo and several powwows. Thanks again for looking and putting up with me.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Bit of a luxury for me folks.

Here is a shot from Sony NEX-5NM. A Sony NEX-5N converted to monochrome by debayering the sensor by maxmax.com The only commercial place where it is done professionally. I can not express my joy adequately at this. Simply delighted. :) It opens a new avenue. :)

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Sony-NEX-5NM, Leitz Elmar 5cm f/3.5, ISO100, f/4

pegelli

Bit of a luxury for me folks.

Here is a shot from Sony NEX-5NM. A Sony NEX-5N converted to monochrome by debayering the sensor by maxmax.com The only commercial place where it is done professionally. I can not express my joy adequately at this. Simply delighted. :) It opens a new avenue. :)
Fantastic Vivek, the first camera that is (re)built especially for this thread! Pls. do post more :thumbup:

V

Vivek

Thank you! That is an apt description- "built for this thread". :)

(FWIW, it was built ~2 years ago but there was a long pause due to me. Anyway, I am absolutely delighted to be able to use it.)