The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Definitive Sony B&W Images Thread

pegelli

Still (mis)using my new toy: Silver Efex Pro 2 (Blue filter, copper toned)

Statue in the St Jan cathedral in Den Bosch

NEX5 + E30/3.5

A vintage photograph, Knorp, or have you come upon a vintage Deux Chevaux?

Here's a BW portrait of a senior-citizen hiker, in the style of August Sander (I hope):

Kirk

StanAtInspirationPoint.jpg

RX1rII

Danny Burk

First image post here...very stark but I rather like it. Ash tree in winter; Sony A7RII with Zeiss 21/2.8 Distagon (ZE mount with Metabones IV adapter).

tcdeveau

I was unaware of this thread until now. Here's some of the Brooklyn Bridge and Manhattan skyline from two weeks ago. Full-spectrum A7R with 55mm FE f1.8 and 720nm IR filter. 3 images handheld, stitched with photoshop, some minor tweaking in LR otherwise B&W conversion done in camera.

ManhattanSkyline2-Edit.jpg

Here's the good ol' ranch-barn-gate cliche, times three. My own preference is the last and simplest one.

Pierce Point Ranch, Point Reyes National Seashore.

Kirk

PierceRanchBetweenTrees.jpg

PierceRanchGate.jpg

PierceRanchPost.jpg

RX1rII

Thank you for the compliment! I printed the third one today.

I showed the trio to a friend whose reaction was that they all looked like pictures that other people had taken before. I guess that's the downside of being 'in the vein' of someone else's work!

Kirk

DanielDuarte

Thank you for the compliment! I printed the third one today.

I showed the trio to a friend whose reaction was that they all looked like pictures that other people had taken before. I guess that's the downside of being 'in the vein' of someone else's work!

Kirk

If you think you'll make anything that is truly original time to sell your cameras and find a new medium. Everything has been done...

Except it hasn't been done by you, which is the beautiful part of this medium.

mediumcool

Here's the good ol' ranch-barn-gate cliche, times three. My own preference is the last and simplest one.

Pierce Point Ranch, Point Reyes National Seashore.

Kirk
View attachment 118236
Agreed. I find the third posted pic to be an absolute winner; the first two are busy by comparison, with uncertain cropping (try cropping out the RHS tree in number 2—it’s too symmetrical for my taste as it stands). This shot has simplicity and ample texture in its favour, and a peacefulness and depth which I enjoy very much! I would crop the top a bit, to make the experience a little more concentrated. Contrast could be increased slightly, but details are holding well in shadows and highlights, and it would be a bad thing for them to block up or blow, though making the sunlit parts brighter would provide a sense of heat. I particularly like the separation in the shadow area at the base of the image. And is that uncorrected barrel distortion, or is the wall really a bit bendy? ;)

Your pic reminds me of some of Fred Picker’s work—his handling of shadow detail and texture was terrific, and has strongly influenced my work. And you have avoided over-sharpening too!

Last edited: