The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Definitive Sony B&W Images Thread

pegelli

I always enjoy your B&W conversions, you have a very distinct style with very few true blacks and true whites, but with plenty subtle gradations which fit your pictures well.

What struck me extra with this picture is that the horse is not held up in the most comfortable way and that maybe why it seems to kick the lone guy standing there out of the picture. :D

mediumcool

I always enjoy your B&W conversions, you have a very distinct style with very few true blacks and true whites, but with plenty subtle gradations which fit your pictures well.
Thanks for your kind words—I used to teach the Zone System, and have a great regard for glowing grey tones, and highlight and shadows containing detail. Great tonality is a bit hit-and-miss with digital, with the tonal response curve (H & D, anybody?), exposure, and lens flare all playing their roles. Memo to self: test a standard scene with different lenses (for instance, I have three 35mm lenses for the a7—the Pentax, an Olympus 35mm shift, and the [wonderful-wide-open] Rokkor 35/1.8), and different exposures, and look at the tone curve defaults.

And something I learned from Fred Picker—don’t be afraid of making a darker image if it means consistent tonality is desired—my [not always subtle] vignetting in C1 is probably down to Fred as well, with his penchant for burning-in edges and corners. Incidentally, the body of the horse (her name was “Curio”) has had an adjustment layer applied to increase local contrast and brightness, for a bit more snap.

What struck me extra with this picture is that the horse is not held up in the most comfortable way and that maybe why it seems to kick the lone guy standing there out of the picture. :D
Nearly called it “Bums in the air” or “Hoisted on a kind of petard”!

You and others may well be seeing more rural shots from me in future—I looked at a house at Saddleworth yesterday (just over 100km from our state capital Adelaide) and will be applying to be a tenant. I was born a bit further north at a regional centre called Jamestown (wheat and wool!), so the so-called “Mid-north” of South Australia is one of my favourite areas. Not much further north are the Flinders Ranges, an ancient formation replete with both wonderful geology and magnificent scenery boosted by unique vegetation and animal life—yellow-footed rock wallabies, anyone? ;)

I would like to organise photographically-centred sojourns in the Flinders in coming years for you jaded Europeans (!) and equally-jaded North Americans.

But I will need to post some pictures of the area first to make a convincing case! Watch this space …

Last edited:

Audii-Dudii

So we (Miss Abby and I) went out again this morning and I took this photo around 3:30 am ... we met an interesting woman while we were out, too!

I will likely try reprocessing this photo, because I don't think I properly, fully captured the sense of eeriness I felt at the time. <sigh>

Last edited:

seb

...What struck me extra with this picture is that the horse is not held up in the most comfortable way and that maybe why it seems to kick the lone guy standing there out of the picture. :D
Sometimes I like pictures because I don't like it. :loco:

Bugleone

Audi-dudi...you should'nt taunt us like that!....why was she interesting?......what did she look like?.....you shot her portrait?....what did she think about some mad bloke taking photos at 3 in the morning?

Audii-Dudii

Audi-dudi...you should'nt taunt us like that!....why was she interesting?......what did she look like?.....you shot her portrait?....what did she think about some mad bloke taking photos at 3 in the morning?
Cut-and-pasted from another forum:

Her name is Nicole and she said she's just finishing an outpatient recovery program for prescription drug abuse. <rolls eyes>

She had an unappealingly raspy voice and couldn't have been any taller than five feet, but she did look pretty cute with her tanning-booth tan and in her neon orange Spandex workout clothes (despite the few extra pounds she was carrying around her middle, like I should talk.) I didn't ask her age, but I'm guessing it was early to mid-40s.

I did, however, ask her if she had done any time as a result of her habit. She said she hadn't, but was convinced that if she hadn't gotten into recovery when she did, she probably would have ... or worse.

I also asked her why she was out walking around in the middle of the night. She said the medication she's taking as part of her recovery program makes it difficult for her to sleep, so she is often awake for several hours between midnight and 6:00 am. Instead of watching crap on TV, she said she uses this time as an opportunity to exercise.

Half the time she goes to a 24-hour gym nearby, but the rest of the time, she just walks loops around her apartment complex, which is what she was doing this morning when she spotted me across the street while I was setting up to take the above photo.

She said the newspaper delivery guy had stopped her 30 minutes earlier to warn her there was a "strange guy with a dog, walking around and taking photos" and that she should be careful, because I could be crazy! 8^0

She said he also told her that he reported me to the police, but during the two hours I was out, I was passed at least a half-dozen times by police cars and they didn't even slow down to check me out. <shrugs>

Anyway, she thought it was cool that I was also a night owl and my idea of taking photos around the neighborhood at night was a neat one.

She gave me her number and told me to call her if I want some company the next time I go out photographing, because she would be happy to keep Abby (my dog) entertained while I was doing so.

I can only assume it was my spiffy haircut that attracted her attention ... lol.​

Mind you, this is on top of the ex-con hairdresser I met yesterday morning (also cut-and-pasted):

I went to get my hair cut this morning, but my usual stylist wasn't there, so I agreed to let the new woman cut it instead.

She was mid-40s and not much to look at (pretty, actually, but had bad skin), but wow, what a personality she had!

Once I was in the chair, we started chatting, as you do, and pretty soon, we were riffing back and forth like Walter Burns and Hildy Johnson in His Girl Friday.

I could see people in other chairs repeatedly turning to look at us and the manager even made a snarky comment to "keep it down" as she walked past us.

I have a fairly quick, sharp, wit and it isn't often that a woman can keep up with me once I get rolling, but she never missed a beat, which I found impressive.

She kept touching my arms and my shoulders in a playful way and, at first, I figured she was just working me for a larger tip. But then she apologized for taking so long and hoped I wasn't busy. And then said she was hungry and was going to go to lunch as soon as she finished my haircut, at which point I realized she was probably hinting about me joining her.

I confirmed as much when she flagged me down as I was pulling out of my parking spot and asked me to come back sometime and take her for a ride, because she had never been in a Porsche before.

So I told her to hop in and I'd drive her to the nearby Chipotle, a semi-fastfood Mexican place, which is where she had said she was going for lunch. I thought she would just grab her food to go and I would drive her back to the salon two blocks away.

I wasn't hungry and didn't plan to eat lunch with her, but somehow we ended up getting a table and I ended up eating lunch with her after all.

During lunch, she started telling me about her life and how after her last stint in prison -- not her only stint, but her last stint, and not jail, but prison! -- she decided it was time to get her act together, learn a trade -- cosmetology, obviously! -- get a real job, and start living a proper, upstanding life.

I listened and nodded politely, mentally retracing my steps to figure out exactly how it was that I came to be eating a chicken burrito bowl alongside a felonious ex-con hairdresser when I wasn't even hungry.

As we were finishing up 20 minutes or so later, she asked me for a dollar bill, then got up and took it over to the cash register, where she borrowed a pen and wrote "Call Erin!" and her number inside a word bubble coming out of George Washington's mouth.

When she returned, she said "I like you! Thanks for lunch and give me a call, so we can do this again sometime."

Puzzled, I asked her why she wrote her name and number on a dollar bill instead of a napkin and she said that was because the odds of my throwing it away were a lot less, then laughed.

So I drove her back to the salon and as I pulled up in front to let her out of the car, she rubbed my thigh, said "have a grrreat day" (as if she was a female version of the Tony the Tiger), then got out of the car and waved to me as she walked back into the salon.

As you can see, the past 24 hours have been an interesting experience for me so far as meeting women is concerned. <shakes head>

And the past 36 hours have been even more interesting, because a woman I had gone out with four times previously ultimately hung up on me as were discussing plans for our fifth date, after she discovered I didn't warn her about the presence of guns in my house before I invited her inside. That's just simple, basic, common courtesy, she said, then explained how she absolutely hates guns and doesn't believe private ownership of them should be legal, the Second Amendment of the Constitution notwithstanding. This all came about because I suggested perhaps we go target shooting in the desert and combine it with a picnic ... oops!

I sure know how to attract them, eh? <rolls eyes>

Last edited:

Audii-Dudii

Huh?

That isn't a sexist statement (if that's what you are implying), merely an acknowledgement that I don't riff (aka flirt) like that with men.

Or has political correctness gotten so out of hand these days that a man who flirts only with women is now considered sexist?

Last edited:

mediumcool

Huh?

That isn't a sexist statement (if that's what you are implying), merely an acknowledgement that I don't riff (aka flirt) like that with men.

Or has political correctness gotten so out of hand these days that a man who flirts only with women is now considered sexist?
If you say so.

pegelli

The "backside" of the new harbour house in Antwerp, a design by the Iranian architect Zaha Hadid

A6000 + OM Zuiko 85/2