The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Definitive Sony B&W Images Thread

bensonga

The Wupatki NM ruins in B&W. Over the past several years I have usually employed Nik SilverEfex for my B&W conversions. For better or worse, this time I decided to keep it simple.

Gary

A7R2, SZ FE 16-35/4 lens

Last edited:

bensonga

That said.....I think I prefer this SilverEfex sepia toned version.

Gary

Wupatki National Monument near Flagstaff, AZ

Last edited:

Audii-Dudii

Here are two photos from what may well prove to be my last outing for the summer:

The reason that I'm potentially thinking of taking a sabbatical for a few months is that once the ambient temperature at night climbs into the mid-80s and above, as it did last week and will likely continue doing until early October, the files produced by my bog-standard Sony A7R simply become too riddled with thermal noise for my taste. And as if that wasn't bad enough, the photos are also overrun with hundreds, if not thousands of "hot pixels." So much so, in fact, that it sometimes appears as if there was a firefly convention occurring simultaneously with me tripping the shutter, as this 100% crop from the first photo posted above shows:

And while it's true that there are various software tools to address these issues (some of perform quite well indeed), the benefits they provide always seem to come with a steep price that must be paid, which is a noticeable loss of resolution and fine detail.

For many photographers, this is a more than acceptable compromise. (And even I will admit that with the small .jpg photos I post here and email around to friends and family, the loss of resolution and detail that is anathema to me is only minimally, if at all visible.)

But I'm a perfectionist (of sorts) and I also have loftier ambitions for my photos besides them being viewed on a monitor or cell phone. You see, I prepare my photos for printing on paper -- Yes, the old-fashioned way of sharing them! -- and with the resources I have available to me, there are limits as to what I can accomplish when I am starting from well behind the start line, so to speak.

So I am going to experiment with various ways of cooling the camera, just as I did (somewhat successfully, I might add) with my pair of RX1s last summer. Otherwise, I'm going to take a break until cooler weather arrives this fall ... wish me luck! :)

Last edited:

bensonga

B&W for me. Silver has its own beauty. If you want color, go color.

My 2p,

Matt
For some images/subjects I like a warmer tone, not as warm as that sepia toned image, but warmer than a neutral silver monochrome. I printed both of these images last night and then decided to go back and reprocess the image again, hoping to make a print that is distinctly warm, but not sepia warm. Ultimately, I would like an inkjet print for this image that approximates a silver gelatin Agfa Portriga look. I pull out some "reference prints" from my years working in a wet darkroom, when I need to remember what those prints looked like.

Gary

KenLee

Silver has its own beauty, but so do Bronze, Platinum, Palladium, Selenium, Carbon, etc. :)

You might find this article helpful: Photoshop Fill Layer: it shows a very simple method for toning prints in any color you like.

Last edited: