The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Definitive Sony B&W Images Thread

scho

A few test snaps with my new Sony A6000M monochrome camera that arrived today. Just batched files through AccuRaw Monochrome to tiffs for import to Lightroom. Probably could just export jpegs directly from AccuRaw Monochrome instead of going through LR. First three are with the CZ 50/1.5 Sonnar and last with Zony 35/2.8 Sonnar (with orange filter).

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Recently, I bought a converted Color Minotar 35/2.8 (from an old Minox) for E mount. It is a nostalgic lens.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
Sony NEX-5NM (Monochrome sensor), Color Minotar 35/2.8, The Hague

At its closest focus (0.9m):

Sony NEX-5NM (Monochrome sensor), Color Minotar 35/2.8, The Hague

Last edited:
V

Vivek

A few test snaps with my new Sony A6000M monochrome camera that arrived today. Just batched files through AccuRaw Monochrome to tiffs for import to Lightroom. Probably could just export jpegs directly from AccuRaw Monochrome instead of going through LR. First three are with the CZ 50/1.5 Sonnar and last with Zony 35/2.8 Sonnar (with orange filter).
From maxmax, Carl?

Congratulations! :)

Brilliant! :thumbs:

Last edited:

scho

From maximax, Carl?

Congratulations! :)

Brilliant! :thumbs:
Thanks Vivek. Yes converted by Dan at Maxmax. I asked about getting a newer model in the A6xxx series, but unfortunately he told me that all of the newer Sony and Nikons are now using copper wiring in the sensors that creates corrosion problems. Downside is no IBIS in the old A6000 and incompatible with TAP. Otherwise I'm quite pleased with this little camera.

Another shot of a Calla lily this time B&W file from AccuRaw was toned in LR. A6000M + Leitz 90/4 M-Rokkor.

V

Vivek

One from Amsterdam (not cropped and pretty much as captured) on the way to Michiel's book launch.

Sony NEX-5NM (monochrome sensor), Sony 35/2.8, Amsterdam

scho

Grandpa and "Fluffy" cheering on grandson on the carousel. A6000M E PZ 16-50 kit lens with orange filter.

scho

Still looking for the best monochrome workflow. I started seeing demosaicing artifacts (patchy window screen like patterns) when going from AccuRaw to LR. Now playing with RawTherapee (intimidating interface) and seem to get smoother results without artifacts. Sample image below.

V

Vivek

Carl, the window like artifacts show up in LR when the image extremes (blacks/whites) are pushed. It happens with Leica MM files as well. I now have PS CS6 and ACR with a preset in camera WB yields desirable results. Rawtherapee is also good but if you take the tiffs to LR, the artifacts can happen.

iiiNelson

Still looking for the best monochrome workflow. I started seeing demosaicing artifacts (patchy window screen like patterns) when going from AccuRaw to LR. Now playing with RawTherapee (intimidating interface) and seem to get smoother results without artifacts. Sample image below.

I like Photoshop, Capture One, and Iridient Developer for B&W conversions better than LR for more extensive editing. That's not to say LR is bad (because it's great with plug-ins) but I find that some other applications allow the image to hold up quite a bit better to manipulation.

scho

I like Photoshop, Capture One, and Iridient Developer for B&W conversions better than LR for more extensive editing. That's not to say LR is bad (because it's great with plug-ins) but I find that some other applications allow the image to hold up quite a bit better to manipulation.
Tre, I agree that some apps are better than lightroom when you need to push things around. In this case I am dealing with basically, pure luminosity greyscale images OOC with no color information so color conversion to greyscale is not an issue. The problem is more how to avoid demosaicing artifacts from software that thinks you are using full color images from a bayer sensor. AccuRaw Monochrome should (and to some extent does) handle this issue perfectly, as long as you don't move the image to another processing environment (eg. Lightroom) that is totally ignorant when it comes to dealing with pure, monochromatic images. I'm finding work arounds, but it would be nice if mainstream image processing apps (Adobe) would develop the capability to work in greyscale as well as color from raw files.

scho

A few snaps taken today with the A6000M and 50/1.5 CZ C-Sonnar. We have been stuck in a tropical air mass for several days with frequent, heavy rain and high humidity.