The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Definitive Sony B&W Images Thread

V

Vivek

Gary, Thanks for the samples. I have a preset WB using a WB target (drop me a line and I can send you one). Carl already has one from me. The RAW ourputs are then put through C1. I tried few special RAW converters, did not invets much time trying to figure them out. C1 was easy and the results are good enough for me. :)

bensonga

One more shot with the A7m (monochrome) and FE 85/1.8 lens. Raw file converted with RawTherapee (mono setting...so no demosaic process applied).

I have been amazed at how sharp these images are. For the 13x19 inch prints I made today from images converted with RawTherapee I have not needed to apply ANY sharpening in Photoshop. The Raw images converted to TIF look great! I am VERY happy with this mono converted A7 sensor by Daniel at MonochromImaging.com.

Gary

A7m and FE 85/1.8

KenLee

One more shot with the A7m (monochrome) and FE 85/1.8 lens. Raw file converted with RawTherapee (mono setting...so no demosaic process applied).
Because I make mostly monochrome images I am quite interested in this: I installed RawTherapee and poked around briefly.

That application has a mind-boggling number of controls !

When I tried exporting a Sony A7RII raw file (captured in color) with the Mono setting I could see dots in the image. Would those be absent if the camera were converted ?

Thanks !

V

Vivek

Converted camera images will not give dots in the mono setting in Rawtherapee.

bensonga

When I tried exporting a Sony A7RII raw file (captured in color) with the Mono setting I could see dots in the image. Would those be absent if the camera were converted
Hi Ken. The Mono Demosaicing setting in RawTherapee is only to be used with cameras with a monochrome sensor (ie no CFA).

https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Demosaicing

Agree that RawTherapee has a dizzing array of controls. I have only used the basics and I mainly use it just so I can convert the monochrome Raw file to TIF without a demosaicing procees automatically being applied to the Raw file (as ACR apparently does).

Gary

V

Vivek

Another (similar) program is Darktable. The windows version I tried resulted in only 3/4th of an image (RAW to Tiff)! If anyone succeeds in finding the right version for the latest Sony Raw files, please post a link here.

KenLee

It must be different when using a truly monochrome camera.

I tried AccuRaw for converting from color RAW images and found nothing better than I could get with Adobe Camera Raw and Photoshop, given adequate tweaking. I had the same experience with DarkTable, RawTherapee and Raw Photo Processor.