The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Definitive Sony B&W Images Thread

scho

Hi Carl. When I clicked on this image and zoomed in on it with my iPad I still clearly see the square dot pattern.

Gary
Hi Gary,

Thanks for catching this. I had linked to the wrong original file. Fixed now so when you click on the embedded image here you will now see the full size original at 100% (if you zoom beyond the original size you will be looking at square pixels on the monitor and not the actual image).

Best regards,
Carl

bensonga

I think that Sandy may be correct about this artifact being the actual pixel pattern on the sensor, but the question is what are other raw apps doing to suppress it that AccuRaw (and also Rawtherapee, see image in my post below) do not.
This morning I examined 5 of the images from my A7(m) I had converted from RAW to TIF with RawTherapee. I could not see any signs of that "box pattern" in the images at 200% or 300% (in Photoshop). Maybe I'm not looking in the right way for these artifacts. In any case, I haven seen any evidence of these artifacts in the 13x19 or 17x22 inch prints I've made. However, I would still like to know if this is a problem which exists with RawTherapee. I purchased a license for FastRawViewer last night and will give that a try. My primary computers are Win10 desktops and laptops (althought I do have a Macbook Air), so I hope I don't need to use one of the Mac only RAW converters for these A7(m) files.

Gary

scho

This morning I examined 5 of the images from my A7(m) I had converted from RAW to TIF with RawTherapee. I could not see any signs of that "box pattern" in the images at 200% or 300% (in Photoshop). Maybe I'm not looking in the right way for these artifacts. In any case, I haven seen any evidence of these artifacts in the 13x19 or 17x22 inch prints I've made. However, I would still like to know if this is a problem which exists with RawTherapee. I purchased a license for FastRawViewer last night and will give that a try. My primary computers are Win10 desktops and laptops (althought I do have a Macbook Air), so I hope I don't need to use one of the Mac only RAW converters for these A7(m) files.

Gary
Gary,

I'm still not sure about what is going on with these files, but my experience (Mac only) has been that apps that just pass through raw image data without using demosaicing generate this pattern (eg. RawTherapee using none or mono options for demosaicing) or AccuRaw Monochrome). Apps like Irident Developer and Raw Photo Processor do not generate this pattern, but I don't know specifically if they are interpolating data or using standard RGB demosaicing. Right now I'm just using either RPP, Irident, or Adobe ACR in LR. FastRawViewer is a nice browser for screening raws, but you still have to pass the file on to another app for actual raw conversion to a tiff or other format.

Carl

bensonga

Three Ravens.

A7m, 85/1.8, processed from the JPG file with PS and NIK SEP, TMax-100 film emulation.

I do miss being able to apply processing adjustments for red, orange, yellow etc filter emulations in SilverEfex Pro. Guess I had better locate my actual B&W contrast adjusting filters from my film days. No extra sharpening applied.

Gary

bensonga

It will always be a very subjective call and I still haven't decided which image I prefer in this particular case. Identical photo taken with the A7m and FE 85/1.8 lens. Both processed from the JPG file in PS and SilverEfex Pro. The only difference between them is the "Film Emulation" applied in SEP. My ultimate choice could certainly be different depending on the subject etc.

Gary

Panatomic-X film emulation

Tri-X film emulation

bensonga

I should probably post a few of my shots from the Alaska Railroad tracks in the "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" thread instead of here.

Gary

Alaska RR Signals. A7m, 85/1.8 lens