The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Definitive Sony B&W Images Thread

scho

My old Sony a7R returned home yesterday with a new monochrome FS sensor and new shutter button courtesy of Daniel Morrison who did the conversion and repair. I'm very pleased with the results and impressed by Daniel's dedication to providing the customer with top notch service and excellent work.

The a7R(m) full spectrum with Zony 35/2.8 and Kolari hot mirror filter.

I decided to try the Astronomic sensor clip-on filter instead of switching filters on/off lenses.

A few first try snaps with the a7R(m) using the Zony 35/2.8 and Loxia 21/2.8

Fall Creek rainbow trout fishing and boathouse window, Zony 35/2.8 Kolari hot mirror.

Bookshelf items Zeiss Loxia 21/2.8 Astronomik sensor clip-on filter

Readers. CV 65/2 Astronomic sensor clip-on filter.

All raw files processed through Monochrome2DNG converter.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Not sure if this helps. This a random (one)handheld snap. Sony A7rII(m), Zony 35/2.8 @f/3.2, ISO 800. Monochrome2DNG outputted as 16bit grey. No sharpening applied.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

100%crops.

My mono A7RII has a fused silica cover glass (1mm) and I had a 1mm thick STC 695nm cut filter (UV/IR cut filter) in the camera.

KenLee

Thank you: it's very impressive.

I wish there was a set of apples-to-apples comparison images available: the same scene, shot on a tripod with the same model of camera, same lens, same shutter speed, aperture etc., where the only difference is the sensor.

V

Vivek

That sort of comparison is impossible to make with my A7rII(m). It is unique in its configuration.

V

Vivek

I know. As soon as the cover glass is breached, there is no point in comparing it with a regular model with its stack of glass.

It will be close (for comparison purposes but NOT in terms of the output) though.

Ask Dan at maxmax or Daniel Morrison at monochromeimaging if they would oblige you (in addition to what is already detailed in the sites).

I do not have an A7rII to do A/B comparisons. Neither do i intend to buy one any time in the future. I might buy an A7 III or A9 though.

Last edited:

scho

A brief walk up to lower Enfield Falls. Sony a7R(m) + Astronomik sensor clip-on hot mirror filter + CV 40/1.2 Nokton.

Last edited:

bensonga

Chiricahua National Monument, Sony A7(m), 24-105/4 G, 1/500 at f8. Quickly processed from the JPG file.

Gary

scho

Farmers market and Steamboat Landing. a7R(m), Astronomic snap-on hot mirror filter, Sony 24-105/4 G, Monochrome2DNG processing, split toned in Lightroom.

and some large flocks of migrating snow geese

bensonga

One of many photos I took at the Pima Air and Space Museum in Tucson, AZ today. These are 2 of the 4 engines on the TWA "Star of Switzerland", a Lockheed L-049 Constellation.

Gary

A7(m), 16-35/4 G at 35mm, ISO 100, 1/640 at f8, handheld. Raw file converted to DNG with Monochrome2DNG.

scho

A couple of simple kitchen still life shots using the a7R(m), CV 65/2 APO-Lanthar Macro. 3 shots each focus stacked via Helicon Focus. Processed through Monochrome2DNG and split toned in LR.