The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Definitive Sony B&W Images Thread

scho

My standard boathouse window and door detail test shots with the new Zeiss Batis 135/2.8 APO Sonnar on the a7R(m). Processed through Monochrome2DNG and Lightroom.

pegelli

It's been quiet here since the start of the dedicated B&W thread, but this is still a genuine converted colour picture of the Queen's room in the Queen's house in Greenwich.

A7ii + LA-EA4 + Min 16/2.8 FE

dpal

Just curious, why would you need the LA-EA4 if you are using a FE lens? The reason I am asking is because I just bought the MINOLTA AF 16 FISH-EYE lens and wondering if it's the same lens you were using. It's been raining everyday here in Seattle, I haven't had a chance to use it yet. The image is great and I'll have to find some interesting places to try it out.
Please let me know if it is indeed the FISH-EYE. And please share some of your technique of using it.:)

pegelli

Just curious, why would you need the LA-EA4 if you are using a FE lens? The reason I am asking is because I just bought the MINOLTA AF 16 FISH-EYE lens and wondering if it's the same lens you were using. It's been raining everyday here in Seattle, I haven't had a chance to use it yet. The image is great and I'll have to find some interesting places to try it out.
Please let me know if it is indeed the FISH-EYE. And please share some of your technique of using it.:)
You guessed right, The FE at the end stands for "Fish-Eye", which is the old Minolta 16/2.8 A-mount version (same optically as the Sony 16/2.8 Fish-Eye). When the FE is in front it usually means it's a "Full-frame E-mount" lens. Just as confusing as all of the other Sony naming conventions.

It works well on the LA-EA4 (as well as on original A-mount cameras), most important thing I watch when using it is paying close attention to the edges of the frame, make sure the whole picture is what you want and there's nothing sticking in you don't want and nothing you want in is cut off. Pay especially attention to your own feet ;)

Technically it's not a difficult lens to use, I never use the built in filters and stopping down helps corner sharpness (which is not great wide open).

Also when you import raw files in lightroom and you have automatic lens distortion correction enabled as default you need to go back and pull the distortion slider back to 0 (from 100) otherwise the shot will be automatically de-fished by the correction, which defeats the purpose of using a Fish-Eye in the first place.

Good luck with the lens and looking forward to sharing some of your results with it.