The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Definitive Sony B&W Images Thread

scho

Testing the new version (4) of Topaz AI Gigapixel. Scaled up this Sony A7Rm CV 40/1.2 shot to 53 MP. Click image for full size. Looks a bit strange in the OOF areas, but otherwise OK.

Knorp

Testing the new version (4) of Topaz AI Gigapixel. Scaled up this Sony A7Rm CV 40/1.2 shot to 53 MP. Click image for full size. Looks a bit strange in the OOF areas, but otherwise OK.
Strange indeed, but only in some random (?) patches. Overall I'd say it's looking fine.

pegelli

Thanks for sharing Carl, the sharp areas look to be upsampled very nice with good detail, it's just some zones in the oof areas that suddenly seem to be struck by their new "Topaz Sharpen AI". But I really can't make out what triggers this, since there seem to be similar large oof areas that are unaffected.

scho

I did the conversion again. First time the TIFF exported to Topaz AI Gigapixel had been sharpened first and the artifacts were already present before it was upsampled. This time I exported the TIFF file directly from the raw in LR with no sharpening. No more artifacts.

k-hawinkler

I did the conversion again. First time the TIFF exported to Topaz AI Gigapixel had been sharpened first and the artifacts were already present before it was upsampled. This time I exported the TIFF file directly from the raw in LR with no sharpening. No more artifacts.

Why the upsampling? :facesmack:

scho

Why the upsampling? :facesmack:
It was a test of new software for upsampling files with a lot of fine detail. Would be used to generate high resolution files for making large prints. It does work well but the downside is very slow to process on my computer.

scho

Up-sampling turns a black pixel into four black pixels (2x2).
It does not and cannot add detail. No software can do that.

- Leigh
True, and I did not say that I expected more detail. I wanted to see if it gave a reasonably clean (no or few artifacts) large file, which it does.

scho

A few shots of the old boathouse on Fall Creek, Stewart Park, Ithaca, NY. Sony A7R(FS-m) with Astronomic OWB clip filter on sensor and B+W 040 orange filter on a Samyang 35/2.8.

One more shot of some litter in the road next to a very large spruce tree next to the boathouse.

Last edited: