The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Definitive Sony B&W Images Thread

JeRuFo

Bart, why is de Pluyswacht falling over?
Amsterdam is built on clay. From around the 16th century they founded the heavy buildings on the first layer of sand with piles. But because this layer is only around 3m thick, this can move a little over time, especially right in the center of a large city with all the building work over the centuries. Still, that little bit of lean over 400 years is not bad, most humans lean a lot more within a century.
Nowadays most new buildings are even taller and heavier and get deeper foundations to more substantial layers of sand a bit deeper in the ground.

JoelM

Amsterdam is built on clay. From around the 16th century they founded the heavy buildings on the first layer of sand with piles. But because this layer is only around 3m thick, this can move a little over time, especially right in the center of a large city with all the building work over the centuries. Still, that little bit of lean over 400 years is not bad, most humans lean a lot more within a century.
Nowadays most new buildings are even taller and heavier and get deeper foundations to more substantial layers of sand a bit deeper in the ground.
A little post production work will fix that shallow foundation issue right up. :ROTFL:

Joel

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
A weak foundation ...
And it's named 'Sluyswacht'.

Krgds.
Bart,

Sorry for the mis-spelling, but I was looking at your pic at 23.00 hours GMT (24.00hrs Euro time) on January 31st, and my eyes were full of tears at the UK madness; so I listened to Beethoven's Ode To Joy at full volume and screamed silently into the night.:cry::cry::cry:

Knorp

Bart,

Sorry for the mis-spelling, but I was looking at your pic at 23.00 hours GMT (24.00hrs Euro time) on January 31st, and my eyes were full of tears at the UK madness; so I listened to Beethoven's Ode To Joy at full volume and screamed silently into the night.:cry::cry::cry:
Well, that S has been represented rather artistically: easily to be mistaken for an P.

tbhv55

Bart,

at 23.00 hours GMT (24.00hrs Euro time) on January 31st, and my eyes were full of tears at the UK madness; so I listened to Beethoven's Ode To Joy at full volume and screamed silently into the night.:cry::cry::cry:
Indeed, gandolfi - even though I can't claim to have actually been doing likewise last Friday evening... in spirit, I certainly was.

And when - at 23:00h GMT - someone in the neighbourhood set off a bloody firework:mad:, my reaction certainly wasn't taken from The Polite Gentlemen's Guide to Proper Etiquette.

scho

Winter has returned. Sony A7R(m) with Contax N 50/1.4 Carl Zeiss T* Planar in Fringer CN-SE AF adapter. Autofocus is a bit iffy on the A7R, but works much better on my A7RII. Some nice tree reflections in the little icicles on the edge of the table.

Bugleone

OOh! you poor little loves!...but this is supposed to be a camera forum so stop snivelling and post a few pix, why don't you?

tbhv55

OOh! you poor little loves!...but this is supposed to be a camera forum so stop snivelling and post a few pix, why don't you?
And here’s a suggestion for you: butt out, and mind your own business. If you don’t like the discussion we’re having, stay out of it.

tbhv55

Mods: if you don't like my previous post, then just ban me. I'm not bothered, since I've no particular desire to share a forum with idiots like the one who started the unpleasantness here.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
And here’s a suggestion for you: butt out, and mind your own business. If you don’t like the discussion we’re having, stay out of it.
Hey, knock it off you two -- any more of this DPR crap and I'll ban you both permanently -- that kind of attitude and rudeness does not fly here.

tbhv55

Hey, knock it off you two -- any more of this DPR crap and I'll ban you both permanently -- that kind of attitude and rudeness does not fly here.
No argument from me, Jack. It was a wholly unnecessary incident, the like of which I’ve never encountered on here, and it leaves a bad taste. The damage has been done, of course, but if you care to look at the sequence of posts, you’ll see that I didn’t start the aggravation.

However, in my case, the warning is effectively superfluous, because I’ve decided to ‘ban’ myself. Not a flounce, simply a rational decision to quit the forum, since I’m not prepared to tread on eggshells when someone aims unprovoked offensive remarks at me.