Site Sponsors

Thread: Dead Sony 16-35mm f/4. Sony farms out warranty service in USA.

Post Thanks / Like

Dead Sony 16-35mm f/4. Sony farms out warranty service in USA.

I would like to warn everybody about the lack of factory warranty service. As I think it's important to put as much pressure on Sony as possible, I also shared my experience with Lloyd Chambers, who helped to expose the shutter vibration problem of the A7r. diglloyd: Reader Experience and Concerns: Sony Service and Reliability.

I recently was in Iceland, where the temperatures were close to 32° F (0 ° C). I had purchased a Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm f/4 ZA OSS Lens, which I thoroughly tested before the trip. The lens immediately and consistently exhibited the following behavior when used outdoors, where it was always used in the manual focus mode: After a few minutes of use, when attempting to focus I would hear a “clunk” and the lens would go out of focus. At times it would make a high-pitch whining noise. Once this happened it was impossible to focus until the power was turned off and back on, at which time it would work for a minute or two before doing the same thing. This was not an intermittent problem, but happened every day during 10 days of use.

When returning I called Sony, and was informed they no longer had their own warranty service. The only option was to send the lens to Precision Camera in Enfield, CT. Precision’s web site shows that they service multiple brands. The lens was sent to them with a clear explanation that the lens only malfunctioned at temperatures around 32° F. The lens was returned with a note “Checks out OK.” They stated they cleaned it. I called and asked if it was tested at 32° F, since it always has worked normally at room temperatures and consistently failed when cold. The person answering the phone had no idea. Furthermore, she refused to transfer me to a technician, supervisor, or anyone with technical knowledge.

I then called Sony, who said I could send it back to Precision, but had no idea if they could test it at temperatures in which it failed. Furthermore Sony would not transfer me to any supervisor or anyone with any technical knowledge. Eventually the situation was settled after multiple calls to customer service by Sony taking back the lens and refunding the purchase price.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with Sony "service" - or lack thereof. How can we consider adding to our Sony system it the products can't be reliably serviced?

-Paul
    Last edited by Paul David; 18th May 2015 at 17:46. Reason: typo
    Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Dead Sony 16-35mm f/4. Sony farms out warranty service in USA.

Thank you for sharing your experience Paul. I never had to deal with Sony tech support and service with my old gear, so can't say anything good or bad.
    Just want to point out for everyone that most of the Sony stores have been closed with just a few primary locations in Cali, NY & TX left: http://store.sony.com/-cms-page.sony.store.listing

I wonder how their promised photography Pro support is developing. Haven't seen any feedback yet in spite of many pros switching to Sony.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Paul for the info. That's no good!
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I used the old repair service. I read that they were shipping from TX to Mexico to fix the lenses eg there was not much feedback on the repairs either. My 50mm 1.8 OSS was making a big noise (most probably OSS) and they replaced it with another refurbished one with 3 months warranty which matched to my leftover warranty period.

I saw more problems with Precision camera and also the price of some repairs as posted by R. Cicala of Lensrentals:
    Tearing Down the Sony 24-70 f/4 ZA OSS Vario Tessar

Sony was supposed to start the pro program, but they are more subcontracting the warranty to the third party repair centers like small camera manufacturers like Ricoh is doing... Hopefully they will improve their service..
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The link shows EXACTLY the script Sony used with me.

BTW, I wouldn't qualify for Pro service. I have been doing fine art photography for years, from the days of 35mm and 4x5 to now where I often use a PhaseOne IQ180 system. Despite the fact that I'm not paid for my work, I think I deserve to be treated to professional level service if I buy professional grade products.

Paul
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I love my cameras, I may drop Sony because of the outsourcing of repairs and poor customer service.

Post Thanks / Like

Paul, were you able to test the lens at 32 F after the "repair"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ryc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    Paul, were you able to test the lens at 32 F after the "repair"
    Not in San Jose, California. I would need to be inside a giant refrigerator. And it is highly unlikely that Precision Camera could test it under the conditions in which it consistently failed.

It would be insane to test it on another international photo trip under conditions in which it failed 100% of the time!

-Paul

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have you tried contacting Zeiss? FWIW, the lens does sport a blue label!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Have you tried contacting Zeiss? FWIW, the lens does sport a blue label!
    C'mon, Vivek
    It's hard to believe Sony would market to pro market when their marketing campaigns and whole NEX line clearly show otherwise:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taLEf2F3SbE

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is an official SOny video (Published on May 1, 2015) that is perhaps more appropriate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrmhzVvBrlM

Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

Sony has both a "bad rap" and alot of serious issues that are real. I shot their video cameras professionally for a decade and had many dealings with Laredo and other outlets. I started shooting stills with the Nex-5. The tiny format and lens flexibility won me over.

The A7r/A7 was a dream camera until I realized how serious the filter stack issue really was. I marvel at the patience of many users searching for great UWA performance. I moved to M9 and had my A7 filter stack reduced.

I've watched as lens after new lens has been introduced and shot by my friends on the forums--many much better shooters than me.

What I've heard form the beginning is serious quality issues with the glass. De-centered lenses are very common. If yours is good of course the issue is moot.

Now warranties are being farmed out? It's a very spare warranty to begin with. My dealings with laredo in the past were just as arcane as any story I've heard form Leica NJ.

My personal bottomline: considering the quality, Sony is an even worse "deal" than Leica. You might have to pay more at the door for Leica, but the party is harder and longer, and there are more interesting people inside [meaning the glass options].

But that feeling may be because I did buy my A7 new. Considering a perfect used one can be found for 700USD, and modded to near M240 performance with RF glass for another 400, well, it's quite a camera

Post Thanks / Like

I recently had the opposite experience with Sony Pro Support. My shutter button broke off on my A7s (possibly caused by experimenting with a glued on extended shutter button...) and I called Sony. They had an email to me in hours with the shipping info and prepaid FedEx to Precision. Repairs were done in 24 hours with the camera sensor cleaned and all functions checked. The camera was sent back overnight and I had the camera ready for my next video project.

After dealing with Leica USA in New Jersey, and the local Washington, DC Leica boutique, this was amazing service.
    Michael Rivers
    Leica Q, SL

Post Thanks / Like

Update 5/21/2015

4 days later, I finally received a call from Sony regarding the issue with the A7II. The customer service representative informed me that they had no cameras in the warehouse to replace my defective A72. Instead, they offered a full refund in the form of a check which would take up to 4 weeks for me to receive. At this point, I have returned the camera to Sony and am waiting for the refund check. In the meantime, I am using a friends A7II until my check comes in which I will apply towards the purchase of a replacement body.

Post Thanks / Like

Precision Camera Repair is the worst... there are many such threads on the web and the main reason I went on their Pro Service Program. Don't let the first qualification form scare you ... contact this programs director direct she is very professional and will listen to your needs.

Sadly we are seeing thread of other camera companies in the USA also using Precision Camera for their warranty work as well so packing up camp and going to another brand here in the USA may just mean more of the same issue.

I have written several letters to executive level Sony Electronics Division employees and hyper linked thread discussing the amount of dissatisfaction their customers are experiencing with this outsourced repair process. Their Laredo TX facility was excellent.... if this Pro Program doesn't fix my repair issues with Precision's SOP of poor service I have told them all I too will look for other cameras to use even if I dislike their level of technology more. To me service after the sale is everything and should never be outsourced where the company loses it's direct control over this procedure.

If quick excellent service is the status quo under the Pro Program then the $100 per year charge is a bargain to me just for the peace of mind.....

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay short story but Nikon is no better. Awhile ago Tempe Camera repair was servicing Nikon for many years and out of the blue they pulled all parts and service from all the repair shops across the U.S. They took everything in house raised there rates and screwed the end user and all those vendors which many are mom and pop stores that lost a ton of income. I lost a lot of respect for them when this happened. Now I'm not talking about Pro service as Nikon and Canon always did a good job of that but sometimes I would walk into Tempe camera with a Nikon issue and they would fix it on the spot for me. As a Pro that was fantastic . All gone now

I'm not saying there is nothing that goes wrong far from it and I hate reading the horror stories been there myself . I had two M8 take a 6 month vacation in Solms. So been there have the T shirt but if something will fail than it usually does and there is poor service everywhere.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think it's worth mentioning that the "Precision Camera" referred to here is not the same as "Precision Camera Works," the Arca Swiss repair place in Illinois.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Paul David,

My name is Amanda Coppersmith, I work for Sony Electronics social media team. I completely empathize with your frustrations and definitely want to make sure this is being handled accordingly. Did the representative that you were speaking to provide you with a reference number (example: E12345678)? If so, please send that information to me in a private message. I will look into this further and see if there's anything else I can do to help out from my end.

Have a wonderful day!

-Amanda
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

+1. Sony may have farmed out service, but Leica's in-house service is no better. Probably worse.

Leica service has gone downhill fast. I am still waiting to get an estimate for a lens that was dropped off personally at Leica NJ office on Feb 25th 2015. After THREE months this company cannot even provide me an estimate as to how much and how long will it take to do a simple CLA service. The stock answer is that the lens has been sent to Germany and they will advise. And then I have three more items that are waiting to repaired for 3 months now in their German service center.

No experience with Sony and hope I don't have to deal with them. I love the Sony A7, but now hesitate to buy new stuff because of all these stories. Buying used after a few months or renting makes sense to me.

Is there any camera company today that actually cares for folks who are not pros, but still spend a lot of money on their products? Some 6 odd years back Nikon replaced the sensor on my small P&S camera for free even though it was outside warranty. It was done in a week's time with no questions asked. Small service, but a big gesture and they won my business for years. Not sure how Nikon's service is today.

Quote Originally Posted by RiversPhoto View Post
    After dealing with Leica USA in New Jersey, and the local Washington, DC Leica boutique, this was amazing service.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaree View Post
    +1. Sony may have farmed out service, but Leica's in-house service is no better. Probably worse.
    Don't get me started on Leica service… oops, too late! 5 months for a lens CLA, on a lens that needs it every 2 years… 8 months for R8 CLA including multiple round trips between Sacramento and Allendale to get it right. On a more positive side, the customer service people know I have a name, not a number and the DMR service was free. My next camera will probably be a Sony once I raise the $$, not looking forward to the service experience.

Post Thanks / Like

these are all part of the growing pains. the camera division is very strategic for sony and they have invested a lot of money. eventually they will get it right but till then..

Post Thanks / Like

my best experience so far has been with canon cps service out of Irvine and hasselbald service. nikon what ever the problem they will pass it on to the user and u have to pay.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Dead Sony 16-35mm f/4. Sony farms out warranty service in USA.

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaC View Post
    Hello Paul David,

My name is Amanda Coppersmith, I work for Sony Electronics social media team. I completely empathize with your frustrations and definitely want to make sure this is being handled accordingly. Did the representative that you were speaking to provide you with a reference number (example: E12345678)? If so, please send that information to me in a private message. I will look into this further and see if there's anything else I can do to help out from my end.

Have a wonderful day!

-Amanda
    I appreciate your concern, Amanda. I eventually resolved this issue after many days and wasted hours by customer service accepting a return and issuing a refund of the purchase price.

This does not, however, resolve the issue as to whether Sony "professional" camera equipment can be promptly and reliably serviced in the USA. You have read other readers's experience with "Precision" camera, and it had been universally unsatisfactory. In addition, it is unacceptable to prevent a customer from talking directly to a senior level technician with knowledge of the product. When I have had to service Canon gear it was quickly and expertly serviced by Canon in Irvine, CA; there is no reason to accept less from Sony.

As I'm waiting for the A7rII and other products I will consider them disposable until Sony can provide reliable service. Thus I am hoping that Canon will come out with a suitable alternative before my next major trip. I hope you let the higher-ups at Sony know that service is far more important than adding more pixels to their line.

-Paul

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul David View Post
    I appreciate your concern, Amanda. I eventually resolved this issue after many days and wasted hours by customer service accepting a return and issuing a refund of the purchase price.

This does not, however, resolve the issue as to whether Sony "professional" camera equipment can be promptly and reliably serviced in the USA. You have read other readers's experience with "Precision" camera, and it had been universally unsatisfactory. In addition, it is unacceptable to prevent a customer from talking directly to a senior level technician with knowledge of the product. When I have had to service Canon gear it was quickly and expertly serviced by Canon in Irvine, CA; there is no reason to accept less from Sony.

As I'm waiting for the A7rII and other products I will consider them disposable until Sony can provide reliable service. Thus I am hoping that Canon will come out with a suitable alternative before my next major trip. I hope you let the higher-ups at Sony know that service is far more important than adding more pixels to their line.

-Paul
    Well, I think both are important and I don't understand why both cannot be accomplished at the same time by a large enterprise such as Sony!
    With best regards, K-H.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul David View Post
    I hope you let the higher-ups at Sony know that service is far more important than adding more pixels to their line.

-Paul
    That would be a pointless exercise. Adding more pixels and other "benefits" is far more important than good service, and this goes for most consumer electronics manufacturers. They have all been doing cost/benefit analysis calculations on this for decades, and the service has only been going one way: down. In many cases, the cost of manufacturing a new unit is lower than any repair, and I know of service departments in high cost countries where they hardly check what's wrong with a unit before they change most electronic parts with new ones. The customer gets what is basically a new/refurbished unit, but he doesn't know that. Talking with a service technician is obviously pointless, since he never checked what was wrong with the gadget to start with

When a company like Sony outsources service, they do that because they have decades of experience showing what is the most profitable solution. They know that they will get complaints, they know that they will lose some customers, but they also know that service costs are increasing while production costs are decreasing. Unfortunately, the situation is or will be the same for most camera companies, although those of us living in low-cost countries will still be able to enjoy decent customer service from some suppliers for a few years more, but not from the likes of Panasonic and Sony unfortunately. This is one of the reasons why I left Panasonic last year for a brand with a good walk-in service department. I wonder how long that will last.

Am I exaggerating? Slightly maybe, but the exaggerations of today are tomorrow's truths. Just you wait and see.
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Paul David,

Have a wonderful day!

-Amanda
    Welcome Amanda...... nice to know there is someone around who wants to assure our Sony Service needs are addressed quickly and without additional stress. Hopefully I won't ever need your help but I for one will take any and all the help I can get if I have to send a product to your 3rd party service company. Glad you introduced yourself and offered your assistance.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello Paul David,

Have a wonderful day!

-Amanda

Thank you Amanda and welcome to the forum!
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

I am having unpleasant dealings with Precision Camera & Video Repair too. Last year, while in Botswana, we had a minor vehicle accident where I got a bit banged up but my A99 had catastrophic damage; the 70-400 G-series lens was ripped from the body taking the lens mount off the body with it. Sony repair in Texas repaired the camera in two weeks, returned it to me and it looked and operated like new. Fast, efficient and effective. I was pleased.

Move forward a year and 1,500 pictures later- oddly within a few miles of the accident site from last year - my A99 went into an unrecoverable "Camera Error" when I powered it up. Removing the battery for a few minutes or even for a few weeks didn't reset the camera. Power up and "Camera Error." I have an extended warranty, so upon returning home, I got approval from Sony to send the camera to Precision. It should be a straight-forward repair. Three weeks have passed since it was received and it is still reported to be in their receiving. It has not yet been scheduled for repair! I cannot help but wonder if Precision has a similar arrangement as auto dealerships who see lower payments when doing warranty repairs and that Precision has pushed my camera aside to do more lucrative work.

Worse yet, I am traveling to Cambodia in 17 days without a camera. No one rents A99s - the A7 series is the big deal now - so I may have to buy another camera for the trip. Just what I wanted to do...

I understand that Sony as a corporation didn't do well this last fiscal year and probably pushed for savings from every division, however, this outsource of the camera service could ruin the product line's reputation completely. I certainly don't have a warm, fuzzy feeling now.
    Last edited by RJK; 12th October 2015 at 07:49.

Post Thanks / Like

Old thread, but I'll add that I'm also having a miserable time with Sony support (or lack thereof). I'm in Canada, and I bought an SEL35F14Z that was clearly soft. The retailer had a no refund policy and wouldn't let me exchange it (as I had already exchanged the first 35/1.4 I bought, which was asymmetrical). I contacted Sony, and they had me take it in to an outsourced Canadian service company. They tested it and concluded that the lens was, indeed, soft. They're not equipped to fix lenses, so they sent it to Sony USA, or perhaps a Sony U.S. outsourced service company (maybe Precision, for all I know).

It's been about a month and a half since I dropped off the lens and no one can give me an ETA. The Canadian service company told me that they don't really have any idea when it'll come back, and that it might well be another month or more. I called up Sony USA to ask if they could help, they said they would look into it and get back to me; a week passed, and they didn't; I called back, they said they would escalate the matter and follow up; another couple of days have passed, and no one's followed up.

I think it's completely ridiculous that I spent almost $2k on a lens that was defective out of the box--and here I am all these weeks later with no lens and $2k poorer. Not to mention the fact that I really would have liked to be taking photos with a 35/1.4 throughout that time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RJK View Post
    Worse yet, I am traveling to Cambodia in 17 days without a camera. No one rents A99s - the A7 series is the big deal now - so I may have to buy another camera for the trip. Just what I wanted to do...
    RJK, try renting a99 from BorrowLenses: http://www.borrowlenses.com/product/...Digital_Camera They have it available.
    Hope you get your camera back in working order soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Admittedly the outsourcing of repair (esp the third party chosen in the USA) is a serious issue. Most of us who could went with the Sony Pro Service Plan as a sort of insurance policy so we would have a greater manufacturers participation in any repair process we may encounter. IMO this is well worth the $100 a year this service costs. I personally have not had to use this service as yet and their old Laredo, TX factory repair service was stellar but those in the pro plan are reporting equally acceptable results and turn around times when sending products to the third party repair using this program.

Imo they made a serious negative move doing this outsourcing but the pro plan may be the only way around some nightmares for customers. Btw Sony isn't the only camera company who in the USA is outsourcing repairs to this third party repair facility. Seems to be becoming a trend for this industry. Going to some other camera company does not assure not having the same results. Personally, I don't like this business model of outsourcing warranty work.... But I am a old coot and like things as they once worked especially well before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Malina DZ View Post
    RJK, try renting a99 from BorrowLenses: http://www.borrowlenses.com/product/...Digital_Camera They have it available.
    Thanks for the link. I missed this one while searching rental firms. We're spending 10 days in Australia before heading to Cambodia so a month's rental and damage insurance is roughly 30% the cost of a used body.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    Most of us who could went with the Sony Pro Service Plan as a sort of insurance policy so we would have a greater manufacturers participation in any repair process we may encounter. IMO this is well worth the $100 a year this service costs.
    I looked at the Pro Service Plan a while back and have since wondered if that could improve repair/cleaning/etc. response. It probably is easily worth the $100 if it helps even a little bit!

BTW: I contacted Precision's customer service asking if my camera has been lost or misplaced given that it's been over three weeks and is still in receiving or is their repair queue just that long and... no response yet. Perhaps "customer service" is the wrong name for that part of the company?

Post Thanks / Like

A quick update.

I used sony pro service the other day on an A7II. I called up the center for support on Fri. They sent me a fedex label via email. I shipped the camera out late fri from oregon. the service center received the camera on monday. to my surprise when i got home late tuesday afternoon, the camera was already repaired and delivered back to me.

i am also a member of nps and I have to say, sony surpassed nps this time. great job. i am a convert to a believer total turnaround time from door to door to door 3 days !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ryc View Post
    I used sony pro service the other day on an A7II...
    Quite the recommendation! Now I'm definitely signing up.

Post Thanks / Like

ryc, that is fantastic news and exactly what I had hoped for when I joined the pro support program. Nice to have as much managerial Sony support as one can get when having to deal with 3rd party locations. Has to be far better than doing it alone....

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a follow-up on my A99 repair: Precision contacted me telling me my A99 was un-repairable and Sony would be sending me a new camera - not reconditioned, but new. I suspect that the cost of parts and labor exceeded the wholesale value of the camera. I received the new SLT-A99V two weeks later shipped from a Sony distribution center in the Los Angeles area. I guess the four-year extended warranty really paid off.

For the trip to Cambodia I borrowed a friend's A99. The GPS tagging was really handy in determining where I was among the many miles of ruins at Angkor. On a very hot (105°F) and humid (95%) day on Silk Island (also known as Koh Dach) near Phnom Penh, the A99 announced it was overheating and shut down. After a few minutes in the shade, I restarted it and it stayed on. I recently found a utility that reads all the exif information embedded in an image and among that data is battery temperature. An experiment found that at an ambient room temperature of 70°F, the battery temperature was 80°F. I looked at the last shot I took on Silk Island before the shutdown and it was reporting 115°F. The temperature probably exceeded the 115°F when it shut down. With so many reports of lithium-ion batteries bursting into flame (including Sony laptop batteries about five years ago), I'm not surprised Sony added temperature monitoring to the firmware.