Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New Sony A7RII announcement

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New Sony A7RII announcement

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Unintended consequence or a deliberate attempt to cannibalize 5Ds/5DsR sales for those that care about dynamic range above resolution?
    That just did in Canon and all those folks with Canon glass just got a big smile today. Does change my thinkng on my 24-70 Sigma A lens.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    Found the spec on low-light focusing on the Sony site:

A7rII = -2 EV!
    A7r & A7 = 0 EV
    A7II = -1 EV
    A7s = -4 EV

Good to see it'll be even better than the A7II!
    So I read this thinking the piss poor 24-70 f4 in low light might actually focus now and not hunt. Hmmm

Might have to rethink this lens instead of the Sigma 24-70 2.8 A with adapter. I just need a 24-70 for PR crap.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Stefan, What makes you think it will easily reach 15 stops of DR?

If this uberbabe flaunt'em, I'm selling my kids and my wife!
    Wait a minute. It will only cost $3.2K. I won't have to!

Eduardo

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post
    Guy - closer to MF ? I can only guess this sensor will surpass the 15 stops easily, will reach ISO´s you have never dreamed of on MF and that 5x a second.......

Take that old dried tear and wipe it off. Here comes the future !

Post Thanks / Like

Well this ticks a lot of boxes for me too and I wonder with this new back-lit sensor if it’ll be a good candidate for stitching…?

I have an entry-level MF Tech cam kit with a Cambo WRS, 22mp back and a 45mm Rodenstock with huge image circle for stitching. My next steps were to head toward a P45+ which at 39mp wouldn’t overstretch the slightly older lens I have currently, and allow me to get more into long-exposure which is something I miss with the Leaf. The P45+ is well under $10k on the used market now which fits my budget.

And now this 42mp Sony comes along!

I was tempted with an A7RII, a 24TSE, a Metabones, and the Zork adapter for fixed lens shifting (camera moves, not lens). This would be a small neat kit and I’ve seen several hiking landscape photographers (my types) select this.

However the Canon TSE doesn’t offer rise/fall at the same time as shift left/right do they? Most of my images on the Cambo involve setting rise/fall for verticals correction then left right stitch for angle of view at the same time. Nice and straight forward.

So perhaps I should look at the Cambo Actus? An A7RII, a Cambo Actus for shifting and what 45mm (or thereabouts) lens? I’d have to wait for people to test shifting with the Hassy lenses that are popular with the current 36mp Sony and Actus combos.

Thanks Sony… let the research begin!
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

well done sony ,I just wish canon could do what sony are doing but that isn't goin to happen..the oled view finder will be a great help and sooooo big like the fugi xt1..4k fantastic ,42 mega pixels just spot on I think and 5 axis wow ,all those old lenses I have in boxes may have to come out lol..still think nothing touches foveon sensor but sony have im sure made all the other camera manufactures realise they cant just keep milking us with rubbish high priced products..your doing well sony just get the price nice for people who cant afford it and you have a winning combo

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is a nice camera for sure, and one I will consider. I wonder if IBIS works shooting 4K video. In that case, Sony has found a solution to heat problems. The demo video that demonstrates AF used on a go-kart indicates that they have fixed the viewfinder lag. It will be interesting to see if this is reality or something they have manipulated in the video.

The only serious remaining issue in my eyes is the tiny battery. All this new technology obviously sucks it empty even faster than with the old model. With the A7R II, it's rated for 290 shots rather than the 340 shots of the old one. Why they didn't include a larger battery in the Mark II models is very difficult to understand. I look forward to try this out though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    This is a nice camera for sure, and one I will consider. I wonder if IBIS works shooting 4K video. In that case, Sony has found a solution to heat problems. The demo video that demonstrates AF used on a go-kart indicates that they have fixed the viewfinder lag. It will be interesting to see if this is reality or something they have manipulated in the video.

The only serious remaining issue in my eyes is the tiny battery. All this new technology obviously sucks it empty even faster than with the old model. With the A7R II, it's rated for 290 shots rather than the 340 shots of the old one. Why they didn't include a larger battery in the Mark II models is very difficult to understand. I look forward to try this out though.
    Yeah ... spare batteries are really expensive
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a none issue for me as I already have several Sony cameras that use the same batteries.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Uaiomex View Post
    Hi Stefan, What makes you think it will easily reach 15 stops of DR?

If this uberbabe flaunt'em, I'm selling my kids and my wife!
    Wait a minute. It will only cost $3.2K. I won't have to!

Eduardo

Just a logical conclusion. DXO measured the A7r with 14,1 stops of DR.
    The Nikon D800/e with the same sensor but a better signal processing reached 14,4 Stops. The Nikon 810 still with the same sensor, but further improved Processing reached 14,8 Stops.
    Now the A7rII has a massively improved BSI sensor (2 stops higher sensitivity) plus a new BIONZ processing.
    That should do the trick. We will soon (august) see how it works.

Greetings from Germany
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lambert View Post
    Yeah ... spare batteries are really expensive
    It's not about money, it's about logistics and weight. I travel a lot, and often to areas where access to electricity is scarce. Carrying 8-10 batteries instead of the 2 I need for my current camera ads weight and space to what is supposed to be a lightweight camera. It would also mean carrying at least 2 chargers, unless I want to babysit the batteries while charging in the evening.

Video is another challenge. 4K uses a lot of power, and professional video cameras typically use large batteries to get around this. Sony obviously knows that, since they make some of those cameras. If a cameras is out of juice in the middle of a shot, it's back to square one, if square one still exists.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I will pre-order this one.

I have been waiting for the A9 but I am not sure it will make it to market in my lifetime.

My Samsung NX1 also has BSI and it is a terrific sensor.

I am hoping that I can do everything with the Sony and Samsung systems and sell off all my Nikon gear.

Fun times.

-Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's not about money, it's about logistics and weight. I travel a lot, and often to areas where access to electricity is scarce. Carrying 8-10 batteries instead of the 2 I need for my current camera ads weight and space to what is supposed to be a lightweight camera. It would also mean carrying at least 2 chargers, unless I want to babysit the batteries while charging in the evening.

Video is another challenge. 4K uses a lot of power, and professional video cameras typically use large batteries to get around this. Sony obviously knows that, since they make some of those cameras. If a cameras is out of juice in the middle of a shot, it's back to square one, if square one still exists.
    I heard the USB port acts as AC adapter which my help some folks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I heard the USB port acts as AC adapter which my help some folks
    If the USB port can be used with an external power bank, that may be a solution in some cases if there's a crisis, but it's still something that Sony has to work on. A9?

Post Thanks / Like

"Additionally, the focal plane phase-detection AF system on the α7R II works well with Sony A-mount lenses when they are mounted on the camera using an LA-EA3 or LA-EA1 mount adapter."

Is LA-EA4 not supported? Or it is because it has phase detect AF, hence special mention of the other two that do not have this?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Absolutely but at the end of the day the pictures tell more than the subjective words they state. I have no doubt though that the usual suspects will praise it and the others will bash it... As usual.
    I feel the same way. Wait for the pictures to judge the sensor and maybe rent it to test out the performance (AF and low light capability). But maybe I'll ignore the drama. We're all grown-ups. Whether the A7R II is exactly what I need or not shouldn't be a reason for irrational exuberance or despair. The camera won't be perfect and it won't be terrible. For Sony FE users it's one more option available to us and one more step toward a mature mirrorless system. But drama drives web traffic so bring on the puppet theater. This time I'll wait patiently on the sideline until this camera has been thoroughly vetted. But I'll have to admit it's fun going to the Sony Circus. The clowns aren't my favorite act but they are good for laughs.

Last edited by jfirneno; 10th June 2015 at 19:05. Reason: rewording
    Regards,
    John
    Sony fanboy, shamelessly shilling for "the man" since 2010.

Post Thanks / Like

I wait to see the new sensor real world with M glass.

I've fallen to Sony hype in the past and am wary now

As noted above, the battery is beyond stupid, and it's another sign of incomplete work that it has not been replaced. Of course an extra can be carried, but invariably, real world, you find yourself without one. Not to mention the charging rituals the camera demands.

But I like it anyway

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I like that the battery is unchanged from my other ones!
    I already have 6 batteries and 2 chargers.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bigger battery means bigger body. Look at Leicas battery it's the same size. I have 7 I rarely get past two a day. Battery drain over the Internet sounds like running water. Hardly the case when in use and aware of saving battery time.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Takes the A7II vertical grip folks. SO same body as the A7II

No brainer upgrade for me. I love the fact that the batteries are the same and that they've kept with the superior ergonomics of the A7II series. I've been using my A7II almost exclusively since I got it and much prefer the layout and handling compared to my A7r and A7s. Heck, if they come out with an A7SII I'll get that too.

I was going to upgrade my Phase One DF+ body but to be honest I won't bother now. For DSLR work I've been using the Canon TS-E lenses on the Sony system and it's been great.

Time to send the A7r off for an IR conversion me thinks. August is just around the corner.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bigger battery means bigger body. Look at Leicas battery it's the same size. I have 7 I rarely get past two a day. Battery drain over the Internet sounds like running water. Hardly the case when in use and aware of saving battery time.
    I'm sure it works well for most. It's things like travelling in remote areas that kills it, and sports photography. I do both.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm sure it works well for most. It's things like travelling in remote areas that kills it, and sports photography. I do both.
    Get yourself a car battery and this ... (just kidding, I travel with 6 batteries, two chargers and still charge the A7 series cameras via USB if I need to charge more that two at once)

Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jorgen these batteries are really small and light. Think of a pack of cigerattes . I can get 6 batteries in that pack. This whole battery thing is more internet lure than anything else. Even when I'm shooting 15000 images in 4 days. I go through about 8 batteries total. Meaning I change the batteries in my vertical grip 4 times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post

No brainer upgrade for me. I love the fact that the batteries are the same and that they've kept with the superior ergonomics of the A7II series. I've been using my A7II almost exclusively since I got it and much prefer the layout and handling compared to my A7r and A7s. Heck, if they come out with an A7SII I'll get that too.

I was going to upgrade my Phase One DF+ body but to be honest I won't bother now. For DSLR work I've been using the Canon TS-E lenses on the Sony system and it's been great.

Time to send the A7r off for an IR conversion me thinks. August is just around the corner.

The TSE make this one powerful combination. I'm thinking of buying back the 17TSE. Than Batis 25 dump my 16-35

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    Like Rick Flair, I am saying "Woooooooo"!!!!!!
    Now there's a pop culture reference!

I just hope that some of the firmware related features (and possibly the silent shutter) are backported to my A7II. C'mon Sony, I know you can "kaizen" too!

(Not Holding Breath)
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

ISO Auto Minimum Shutter Speed

Prevent blur in a shot of a moving subject by setting a shutter speed at which ISO sensitivity starts changing when ISO AUTO (while in P or A mode, or in Multi Frame NR) is selected.
    Usually the auto ISO responds to focal length as well, where a longer focal length will push a higher ISO and hence higher shutter speed. Can both work together?

Post Thanks / Like

Durable reduced-vibration shutter

The new shutter's braking mechanism cuts mechanical front/rear curtain vibration by about 50%7. Also, use the electronic front curtain for even less vibration. This not only minimizes camera shake that can blur details in 42.4-megapixel images—it makes the shutter durable enough to have been tested to 500,0008 cycles.
    liking this feature. I have always been a fan of the electronic first curtain since the Nex 5N.

Did not know though by using an electronic first curtain would improve the durability of the shutter. Nice information

Post Thanks / Like

Damn this is hot stuff

Priority setup in AF-C/AF-S

In AF-S (Single-shot AF) or AF-C (Continuous AF) mode, choose AF priority for taking pictures only when subject is in focus, Release priority for taking pictures even when subject is not in focus, or Balanced Emphasis for balancing the AF and Release options to achieve accurate focus, yet not miss a decisive moment when shooting moving subjects.
    It is probably about time they added in this feature, wonder if it will filter to the other a7 models by means of a firmware update. I have seen this feature implemented on the Olympus E-M1, and it works well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    I agree with you. The back-illuminated CMOS sensor seems to make that possible, doesn't it?
    Question begs though, how good is the image quality from this BSI image sensor. Are all the bugs ironed out. The reason I ask, is that in the past, smaller BSI sensors had inherent issues of cross talk between pixels, plus there was issues of the red channel bleeding between pixels. Samsung tried to fix it with ISOcell technology. Has all this been finally resolved, or are we going to see cooked RAWs and clever image processing that will apply the relevant corrections.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BackToSlr View Post
    Whoa! It apparently focuses Canon lenses pretty fast too!

DPR staff comments

<snip from the article>
    "One of the most impressive features of the a7R II is its autofocus system. 399 phase-detection AF points cover 45% of the frame, which means over 60% coverage in either horizontal or vertical directions in the frame. That gives it more coverage than any full-frame camera out there. PDAF will work even with third-party lenses via existing adapters, including in continuous AF tracking mode. This is potentially a huge deal - especially for Canon users. We've used an a7R II with a Canon 24-70mm lens and a Metabones adapter, and focus is indeed very fast indeed. We'll be looking at this in more depth as soon as we have a production sample camera, but for now, we're highly impressed."
    </snip>
    hmm, makes sense too, as the MB smart adapter emulates an LA-E3, and if Alpha lenses can now achieve fast AF, I do not see why the Canon lenses would not be able to achieve similar performance!!

I think after reading that, I too am getting excited!

Post Thanks / Like

I spent (or wasted?) an hour or so reading about the Leica Q before hearing about this new Sony. But now I've e-mailed my dealer with an A7RII pre-order.

Normally I wait for the early buyers to Beta-test and then complain about their new cameras before I get in line to buy one. But this seems to fix all the A7R problems that had concerned me, particularly the shutter/vibrator.

I've been using MM 95% of the time, and A7 for occasional color. But after using MM for a while, I checked its files against A7r's BW conversions and found they were virtually equal in resolution and IQ at the size of my BW prints (never over 17x22).

So I'll just swap my 24mm Elmarit for a 25mm Batis and use it as the bridge lens between WATE and MATE. Bye-bye to Leica's double-priced Monochrom bodies.

Kirk

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    Question begs though, how good is the image quality from this BSI image sensor. Are all the bugs ironed out. The reason I ask, is that in the past, smaller BSI sensors had inherent issues of cross talk between pixels, plus there was issues of the red channel bleeding between pixels. Samsung tried to fix it with ISOcell technology. Has all this been finally resolved, or are we going to see cooked RAWs and clever image processing that will apply the relevant corrections.
    Many of these issues were addressed by Sony (RX100 sensor, also used by Samsung in their NX mini). I guess they took care of a few more before coming with the FF camera. One thing to keep in mind though- the cross talk is inherently reduced when going from 1 micron to 5+ microns sized photo diodes.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly.

6 x 150g batteries (or whatever they weigh) = 900g
    3 x 300g batteries = 900g

If the 150g battery gives 250 shots and the 300g battery gives 500 shots, so....

... I do not get the big deal about the small batteries. You just need more of them and the weight is the same (in your bag) as a camera with fewer heavier ones. The weight in your hand however, is lower, as is the bulk in the grip.

I have never found 15 seconds for a battery change at lunchtime to be a great problem. I shot the A7 and A7R in Iceland in January during severe and cold weather. I don't recall replacing more than two batteries (in total) in a day and usually only one (or occasionally none).

Last edited by turtle; 11th June 2015 at 00:05.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Exactly.

If the 150g battery gives 250 shots and the 300g battery gives 500 shots, so....

... I do not get the big deal about the small batteries.
    Nor I. I guess some people just need something to complain about.

Post Thanks / Like

I really want to test my Canon lenses + Metabones on this new version. I was already pretty happy with the A7R + Canon lenses. Just the slower-than-snail AF was a bit annoying.
    Yesterday, I was thinking that my next camera may well be the 5DsR. But now, I'm not so sure...
    Not ridiculous AF, humongous dynamic range, smaller size, flexibility to use Canon lenses or Zeiss Batis. It all sounds really good.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Now there's a pop culture reference!

I just hope that some of the firmware related features (and possibly the silent shutter) are backported to my A7II. C'mon Sony, I know you can "kaizen" too!

(Not Holding Breath)
    Silent shutter will not happen to A7ii.

It is hard to picture Dr. Rao in Flair' s outfit though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exactly.

... I do not get the big deal about the small batteries. You just need more of them and the weight is the same (in your bag) as a camera with fewer heavier ones. The weight in your hand however, is lower, as is the bulk in the grip.

I have never found 15 seconds for a battery change at lunchtime to be a great problem. I shot the A7 and A7R in Iceland in January during severe and cold weather. I don't recall replacing more than two batteries in a day and usually only one (or occasionally none).
    Sony A7 battery = 42g
    8 batteries = 336g = 2,320 shots

Nikon D810 Battery = 88g
    2 batteries = 176g = 2,400 shots

No, the weight is not the issue, charging is, at least for me when I travel. If I use 4 batteries within a day, I will have to charge 4 batteries in the evening. That means more than one charger or sitting in the hotel room changing batteries to be charged while I would rather have visited a local restaurant to have dinner. It's not a big issue, but it's a hassle. I had it with the Panasonics, and I often started the day without full charge on all batteries. In addition, many batteries means more items to be remembered, packed, stored etc.

Currently, I travel with 1 camera, 4 lenses (1 on the camera), 2 batteries (1 in the camera), 1 charger and 4 cards (2 in the camera). That's 12 items, 8 when deducting what's inside/on the camera

With the A7R II, I would travel with 1 camera, 4 lenses (1 on the camera), 8 batteries (one in the camera), 2 chargers and 4 cards (1 in the camera). That's 19 items, 16 when deducting what's inside/on the camera.

When I travelled with the Olympus OM-1, I had camera, 3 lenses and 10 rolls of Velvia. That was 14 units. And they said digital would make life simpler?

Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen,

What sort of shooting are you doing, because I had 6 or 7 batteries with me in Iceland and never got close to needing them all on a given day? While the shooting day was not super long, it was severely cold so the battery life was poor.

I too would prefer the Sony cams to have better battery life, but at the same time find it has next to no impact on 'photographic operations' for me personally. I just have to be a bit organised and have an 'end of day' routine for recharging, cleaning, image backup etc. I would not really consider these tiny batteries as 'items' in the same way as others as they are not complicated to handle or manage and you can pack them into any available crevice they are so small. I suppose the other upshot is redundancy. If one fails, its a small % of your overall power. If one of two larger batteries is lost or fails, them its a bigger problem.

For week long hikes and remote travel where there is no power for recharging, the A7's battery life would be a worry, for sure.

And 12 rolls of Velvia = 360 shots = 2 x A7 batteries (not 8), so you are still ahead with an A7!

Post Thanks / Like

As a Canon, 645z and A7ii shooter I am getting really quite exasperated with Canon.
    Chris Giles Photography

Post Thanks / Like

So the A7II is only 6 moths old and already it is dated as the A7rII seems to have a lot of technology apart from the MP count that could have been and the A7II. I wonder if Sony could add the electronic shutter function that I see the A7rII has (of course along with the A7s).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jorgen,

What sort of shooting are you doing, because I had 6 or 7 batteries with me in Iceland and never got close to needing them all on a given day? While the shooting day was not super long, it was severely cold so the battery life was poor.

I too would prefer the Sony cams to have better battery life, but at the same time find it has next to no impact on 'photographic operations' for me personally. I just have to be a bit organised and have an 'end of day' routine for recharging, cleaning, image backup etc. I would not really consider these tiny batteries as 'items' in the same way as others as they are not complicated to handle or manage and you can pack them into any available crevice they are so small. I suppose the other upshot is redundancy. If one fails, its a small % of your overall power. If one of two larger batteries is lost or fails, them its a bigger problem.

For week long hikes and remote travel where there is no power for recharging, the A7's battery life would be a worry, for sure.

And 12 rolls of Velvia = 360 shots = 2 x A7 batteries (not 8), so you are still ahead with an A7!
    I'm partly joking, and the OM-1 comparison was obviously that, although it is food for thought that so many more items are needed for photography nowadays. The problem for me, and probably others who travel to remote areas, is that I go to places that take a lot of effort to get to. Mostly, I would probably manage with a couple of batteries for an A7R II, but sometimes, there's simply no electricity available for charging or I have the chance to take photos at an event where it's simply tempting to take a lot of photos. So, I'm safeguarding.

Another kind of photography I do is motor sports, where around 2,000 photos per day is often the norm. There are others who shoot much more. You shoot all relevant cars at the first couple of laps, in burst mode, then trying to improve the shots throughout the race, and when there are 10 or more races in a day... 2,000 shots go very fast. If there's oil on the track, a fire, it starts to rain or whatever, hundreds of shots are fired within minutes to get the most spectacular one. 15 seconds to change battery is not an option. That will happen when the race leader crashes into a wall in spectacular fashion.

For some reason, camera manufacturers have for years optimised cameras and batteries to get as many shots per charge as possible. I simply don't believe that this has suddenly become irrelevant. For me, it's most certainly not, and when it is, I still feel more comfortable with a battery that covers me for 1,000 or 3,000 shots than one that can only manage 300.

I'm sure the A7R II is a fine camera, probably one of the best out there right now, the best for many. But for me and a couple of others, it's only usable if they come up with a larger battery. I don't think it's wrong to point that out. Hopefully, Sony staff read photography forums
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 11th June 2015 at 03:23.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm sure the A7R II is a fine camera, probably one of the best out there right now, the best for many. But for me and a couple of others, it's only an usable if the come up with a larger battery. I don't think it's wrong to point that out. Hopefully, Sony staff read photography forums
    This is progress, I would say!

Post Thanks / Like

The question is "does it still have lossy raw compression?".

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by teeraash View Post
    The question is "does it still have lossy raw compression?".
    Teera, Yes. Further up in this thread, it has been pointed out.

The only improvement (over the earlier A7 cams) is the new processor. I suspect that Sony would have addressed some of the concerns of lossy RAW in A7r in this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen, it sounds like DSLR territory for you, not only for battery life but also AF tracking. The Sony cams won't compete here for some time one suspects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jorgen, it sounds like DSLR territory for you, not only for battery life but also AF tracking. The Sony cams won't compete here for some time one suspects.
    It is for the time being at least, but I'm very curious to see where this is heading, and when somebody is going to pick up the glove and answer Sony's challenge. If it can become this good without some of the major manufacturers participating, there's obviously potential well beyond this model, even within the limitations of current technology.

Post Thanks / Like

No, the weight is not the issue, charging is, at least for me when I travel. If I use 4 batteries within a day, I will have to charge 4 batteries in the evening. That means more than one charger or sitting in the hotel room changing batteries to be charged while I would rather have visited a local restaurant to have dinner. It's not a big issue, but it's a hassle. I had it with the Panasonics, and I often started the day without full charge on all batteries. In addition, many batteries means more items to be remembered, packed, stored etc.
    Well just get a dual charger to put 2 batteries on charge. 2 done while having dinner and 2 done while sleeping...
    Mike Broomfield
    www.pbase.com/mike_broomfield

Post Thanks / Like

This whole battery discussion is a boring repeat of what was discussed in many previous threads. For me it's a non-issue, for some others it is and that's fine, but why does it have to be repeated and harped about with every new Sony camera introduction

Maybe some people who are concerned with the battery life could test this one. Low price might give some indication of longevity but if they work it's more then double the capacity of a standard Sony version.
    My Pics
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect that if there is an A9 being developed, it won't be released until the AF can genuinely compete with DSLRs. I really think this is the next step and it may take another 18-24 months to get there. A larger heavier chassis (700g?) with bigger battery, inbuilt vertical grip perhaps... all this would appeal to many, but if it cannot compete in AF terms with DSLRs but is approaching this weight, it will be a hard sell.

As for the A7R II, I am not worried about the sensor being unproven, because who remembers the last bad Sony sensor? They're rather good on this front! I am not worried by the chassis (A7II has already proven that). In fact, what we see is most likely precisely what we will get. I see no reason to expect otherwise, firmware glitches aside.

I think we should forget compatibility with M wides. I very much doubt any will better the likes of the 25 Batis or 35mm Loxia. The FE system is maturing without the M camera overlap some (including myself) hoped for. At the same time, I am very pleased to see where it is going. The 25mm f2 Batis is much lighter than its DLST cousins (I feared a 600g monster). The system is still lighter and more compact than the DSLR, but with higher imaging potential than anything else on the market. Its bigger and more complex than Leica M, however, but offers many more features and more capability (which many M lovers would rather eschew).

The FE system has carved its own niche and its looking pretty darned appealing even for many of those who were previously unconvinced.

Some say Sony overcooked their press release, but I don't. To my eyes, this is a staggering step forwards (made 'viable' by the Batis lenses and, to a degree, the 28mm f2) and the penultimate step before the model that truly challenges DSLR owned territory.... and quite possibly the M-Rangefinder too (looking at the direction Leica has gone with the Q. Just give it 5-6 years and I struggle to see any other outcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I really have no concerns at all. The two sticking points dual card slots is always going to be a safeguard issue. Advice do not buy cheap SD cards. Spend the money on high quality cards like Sandisk extreme Pros and the like. You want fast cards for buffer reasons shooting and downloading. Don't skimp here. The compression stuff has not been a issue for me but it's a firmware upgrade and Sony is said to be working on it. I believe they are and also it maybe in the final production unit. Buying regardless. Batteries is a non issue for me. I actually like the small batteries and 3rd party batteries like Watsons work really well and are cheap as heck.

AF speed unless your shooting professional sports this is highly overrated. It's a non issue for real sports shooters . This thing can track very well and if it's even close to the A6000 than there is nothing t much better out there. FPS 5 frames for a 42 MPX sensor is just flat out outstanding. People forget that data rush on pushing this many MPX. You need more than you need less MPX cameras to do that , keep your canon. But I'm old school I shot sports with no motor drives no winders and still was successful. Honestly don't take offense but this is lazy people talking that just want to lay on the shutter and not think. Had to be said. LOL

Price is price pay it or not. Leica in my mind is overpriced but others buy them like buying a bottle of water. Good for them. There really is no argument here buy it or not, it's a personal call. I happen to think for the specs and the feature sets plus the ability to now take on canon glass with AF, Sony A glass with AF with speeds and full AF points is priceless. I'm buying not quibbling on this stuff. It's a camera that checks a lot of boxes for me. It's what I have been waiting for and I'm first in line.

Here is my real bottom line in all this. I have made some really outstanding images with the A7r and I mean on a technical level and IQ. This can only improve on the technical side of continuing that trend. Coming from a lot of systems and MF digital for years, I am really extremely pleased with my results and I'm one of the stickler persons around on that level. It may not fit everyone but it sure fits me and I see continued success on my ART and that's my bottom line. Now I just need to complete my lens lineup and get this body and I'll go hide in the dark corners of this planet and make some Art.
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 11th June 2015 at 06:42.

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I really have no concerns at all. The two sticking points dual card slots is always going to be a safeguard issue. Advice do not buy cheap SD cards. Spend the money on high quality cards like Sandisk extreme Pros and the like. You want fast cards for buffer reasons shooting and downloading. Don't skimp here. The compression stuff has not been a issue for me but it's a firmware upgrade and Sony is said to be working on it. I believe they are and also it maybe in the final production unit. Buying regardless. Batteries is a non issue for me. I actually like the small batteries and 3rd party batteries like Watsons work really well and are cheap as heck.

AF speed unless your shooting professional sports this is highly overrated. It's a non issue for real sports shooters . This thing can track very well and if it's even close to the A6000 than there is nothing t much better out there. FPS 5 frames for a 42 MPX sensor is just flat out outstanding. People forget that data rush on pushing this many MPX. You need more than you need less MPX cameras to do that , keep your canon. But I'm old school I shot sports with no motor drives no winders and still was successful. Honestly don't take offense but this is lazy people talking that just want to lay on the shutter and not think. Had to be said. LOL

Price is price pay it or not. Leica in my mind is overpriced but others buy them like buying a bottle of water. Good for them. There really is no argument here buy it or not, it's a personal call. I happen to think for the specs and the feature sets plus the ability to now take on canon glass with AF, Sony A glass with AF with speeds and full AF points is priceless. I'm buying not quibbling on this stuff. It's a camera that checks a lot of boxes for me. It's what I have been waiting for and I'm first in line.

Here is my real bottom line in all this. I have made some really outstanding images with the A7r and I mean on a technical level and IQ. This can only improve on the technical side of continuing that trend. Coming from a lot of systems and MF digital for years, I am really extremely pleased with my results and I'm one of the pickets persons around on that level. It may not fit everyone but it sure fits me and I see continued success on my ART and that's my bottom line.
    No you're not. I'm ahead of you.