Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New Sony A7RII announcement

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New Sony A7RII announcement

Lol.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Other bonuses for those that care - Flash sync is 1/250 instead of 1/160 like on the A7RmkI and you are able to bracket with up to 9 shots now.

I care. I reaaaaaally care

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Flash sync is huge for me too.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

I am just wondering if this camera will help me take better photos or it can just reinforce bad habits at a more expensive price?
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I heard the USB port acts as AC adapter which my help some folks
    One of the really annoying things is that with the vertical grip on (which contains 2 batteries) it own't charge. Since getting the H-Cam Mirex adaptor recently I can use the grip, which is great. But charging means having to take off the grip and mess around with the fidley door and still charging one at a time with the usb port

Post Thanks / Like

Thats news to me that Sony has acknowledged it and is working on it. Do you know when/where they said this? This is likely the only real remaining nit with the A7x bodies for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    ... The compression stuff has not been a issue for me but it's a firmware upgrade and Sony is said to be working on it ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    This whole battery discussion is a boring repeat of what was discussed in many previous threads. For me it's a non-issue, for some others it is and that's fine, but why does it have to be repeated and harped about with every new Sony camera introduction

Maybe some people who are concerned with the battery life could test this one. Low price might give some indication of longevity but if they work it's more then double the capacity of a standard Sony version.
    Agreed and FWIW I'm happy they are staying with the same batteries. It means that those invested in Sony won't have to buy new batteries/chargers for what would be marginal real world power increases.

All cameras with electrically centralized components are going to be power hungry and the FE are right in the range of every other mirrorless camera in getting 300-400 shots per full charge per battery.

This brings up another issue regarding the travel argument - as someone that travelled a lot for work in a lot of remote/3rd world locations I can say for a fact that you can always plan your photo trips accordingly. Sorry but you just can.If you run out of juice or planned poorly (malfunction not withstanding) then it's your fault.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thedigitalbean View Post
    Thats news to me that Sony has acknowledged it and is working on it. Do you know when/where they said this? This is likely the only real remaining nit with the A7x bodies for me.
    Been posted a couple places. I have to look for it but under the gun right now

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Some say Sony overcooked their press release, but I don't. To my eyes, this is a staggering step forwards (made 'viable' by the Batis lenses and, to a degree, the 28mm f2) and the penultimate step before the model that truly challenges DSLR owned territory.... and quite possibly the M-Rangefinder too (looking at the direction Leica has gone with the Q. Just give it 5-6 years and I struggle to see any other outcome.
    Kudos for a correct use of the word 'penultimate"!
    a7r, a7rII, FE 16-35, FE 24-70GM, FE 70-200, Loxia 21mm, 35mm, 50mm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post

Another kind of photography I do is motor sports, where around 2,000 photos per day is often the norm. There are others who shoot much more. You shoot all relevant cars at the first couple of laps, in burst mode, then trying to improve the shots throughout the race, and when there are 10 or more races in a day... 2,000 shots go very fast. If there's oil on the track, a fire, it starts to rain or whatever, hundreds of shots are fired within minutes to get the most spectacular one. 15 seconds to change battery is not an option. That will happen when the race leader crashes into a wall in spectacular fashion.

For some reason, camera manufacturers have for years optimised cameras and batteries to get as many shots per charge as possible. I simply don't believe that this has suddenly become irrelevant. For me, it's most certainly not, and when it is, I still feel more comfortable with a battery that covers me for 1,000 or 3,000 shots than one that can only manage 300.

I'm sure the A7R II is a fine camera, probably one of the best out there right now, the best for many. But for me and a couple of others, it's only usable if they come up with a larger battery. I don't think it's wrong to point that out. Hopefully, Sony staff read photography forums
    I too am a A7R user and have a 1DX and now a 7D2 for the 'action' photos. No way you can use the Sony for fast action like animals running or motor sports. I have ended up with 20,000 images in 5 days on some tours where there was a lot of action and I would end up with 2000-3000 images in a single 3hr session. However, with the Sony, it is (or has been so far) a more deliberate approach. For example on the trips where it has been my main camera, I have taken less than 400 shots a day. Simply because it is harder to do more than that on landscapes.

So for me, in the current version of the A7R, batteries are not an issue. I can see how it make become one if the MkII truly does a better job with AF and therefore translates into greater use for action images.

Pradeep

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This whole discussion of RAW compression is pointless. I defy anyone to tell if it was used on prints up to 20x30".
    Brad Husick
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This whole battery discussion is a boring repeat of what was discussed in many previous threads. For me it's a non-issue, for some others it is and that's fine, but why does it have to be repeated and harped about with every new Sony camera introduction
    Really... we used to have to access the back of the camera every 36 shots, remember those days? Anyone fond of the really fiddly film loading procedure in the Leica bodies, or the fact that the Nikons had a habit of stripping sprocket holes, so you needed to check the load before closing the back?

Popping a battery and replacing is basically something that can be done in the dark by feel(if the batteries had a bit more asymmetry, that would help on this a little). I really don't see what the problem is for people.

---Michael
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    This whole discussion of RAW compression is pointless. I defy anyone to tell if it was used on prints up to 20x30".
    Agree. Its people pushing files from here to Alaska that seem to have the issue. Take the correct exposure and you won't have the issues and I never seen it. Ever

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mjm6 View Post
    Really... we used to have to access the back of the camera every 36 shots, remember those days? Anyone fond of the really fiddly film loading procedure in the Leica bodies, or the fact that the Nikons had a habit of stripping sprocket holes, so you needed to check the load before closing the back?

Popping a battery and replacing is basically something that can be done in the dark by feel(if the batteries had a bit more asymmetry, that would help on this a little). I really don't see what the problem is for people.

---Michael
    You wanna be really fast take the battery door off. It really serves very little purpose anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm psyched. I've just finished building my Sony architecture platform:

Arca Universalis View Camera
    Canon 17mm TS-e
    Canon 24mm TS-e II
    Contax 35mm PC
    Hasselblad CFi/e lenses 40mm, 50mm, 60mm & 80mm

I don't get the battery issue. I bought 4 batteries with my A7r when I saw all the comments about it and I rarely use more than 2 a day. That's with the camera on for 10 hour days. See how long you can get out of two batteries with a digital back.

While we're on the subject, I've been so pleased with the A7r that my IQ260 / Rm3d are currently out with a prospective buyer.

The only thing I don't love on the A7r II is the bigger grip. It's going to be more in the way on the view camera.

IMHO,
    CB
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm right there with you. I'm so psyched about this cam. Can't wait to get it. I'm thinking of getting the 17mm TSE again than Batis 25, 85 along with my 35 1.4 , loxia 50 and Minokta 200. Nice kit for me

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I actually like this grip better but I understand in a view can it can get in the way

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe some people who are concerned with the battery life could test this one. Low price might give some indication of longevity but if they work it's more then double the capacity of a standard Sony version.

How "bad" exactly is the battery life for instance for the a7ii vs say the likes of the E-M1?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    How "bad" exactly is the battery life for instance for the a7ii vs say the likes of the E-M1?
    Well, let me take a stab at this. I have A7R, NEX-7, NEX-5N, E-M1, E-M5, and E-M5 II.
    Typically I shoot hundreds of shots in a morning or afternoon/evening.
    I keep my batteries in chargers until I need them.
    So, I start with fully charged batteries.
    So far, I have never needed a second battery.
    With the E-M1 and E-M5 II in continuous mode I have on and off shot around 600 to 700 shots,
    before my 16 GB memory card was full, as I keep both raw and jpg files.
    But I didn't need a second battery.
    Now I have replaced my 16 GB memory cards with 64 GB cards.
    I'll see whether now I can exhaust a battery.

I had to replace one 6 year old battery for my Leica M9.
    It showed a full load when I started using it, but lasted only for 5 or 6 shots.
    I have replaced it with a new battery - no problems since.

My suggestion, please let's stop discussing batteries in this thread. It's a non issue.
    Whoever wants to discuss batteries should start a dedicated thread to that issue! Thanks.
    Last edited by k-hawinkler; 11th June 2015 at 13:39.
    With best regards, K-H.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    Found the spec on low-light focusing on the Sony site:

A7rII = -2 EV!
    A7r & A7 = 0 EV
    A7II = -1 EV
    A7s = -4 EV

Good to see it'll be even better than the A7II!
    Sorry to ruin the party a bit but
    A7R & A7 = 0 EV ISO 100 with F/2.8 lens
    A7II = -1 EV ISO 100 with F/2.0 lens (so this is actually 100% same as A7 & A7R as the lens in spec is one stop faster)
    A7RII = -2 EV ISO 100 F/2.0 lens (1 EV better than all before)
    A7S = -4 EV ISO F/2.0 lens

All the are CDAF values (sensor-PDAF is long gone to sleep at these light levels) so they pretty much follow sensor high ISO sensitivity; so it would be unreasonable to expect A7 II be any better than A7 and A7R. A7R II is better than the A7/A7R but it is not "half way" to A7S.

The interesting question is at what light levels the the sensor-PDAF goes to sleep; this has direct effect on how soon the LA-EA3 + A Mount lens AF starts to suck as light levels get lower. The on-sensor PDAF is gonna need some CDAF for final focus fine tune (I'm 99% sure about this) so lenses with wrong kind of focus motors are going to suffer from the the increased reliance on the CDAF as light levels get lower.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barrett View Post
    I'm psyched. I've just finished building my Sony architecture platform...
    Chris - how do you attach the EF lenses to the Arca?

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

99.X% of the time this is true. But not always. For bulb exposure + superhigh contrast edges (like you quessed it: just like Star Trails) it can be quite visible without processing and way below 100% viewing.

Download the worst case example type from here and see for yourself, link in 3rd chapter

http://www.rawdigger.com/howtouse/so...tion-detection

Compression blocks are easily visible at about 50-75% view with zero processing; at least in my HW-calibrated Eizo Spectraview 302W. Bulb mode causes camera to drop to 12-bit mode and this amplifies the issue as it further limits what values are "available" inside the compression block in each color channel.

I've tested this personally too and similar effect can be seen in star trails and like when background is of type that exposes the blocks.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using the Metabones for the Canon glass. SK Grimes should be close to done with my Eos mount lens board, though. This will lack electronic control, so I'll set apertures with the Metabones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tn1krr View Post
    99.X% of the time this is true. But not always. For bulb exposure + superhigh contrast edges (like you quessed it: just like Star Trails) it can be quite visible without processing and way below 100% viewing.
    I agree with you and really would like to see uncompressed RAW from this camera!

I also agree that it doesn't impact images MOST of the time, but if you shoot a lot of star trails, clearly, the current cameras are not going to be the best option.

I also feel this becomes more of an issue when shooting for B&W, which I do a lot. It reduces the amount of manipulation that I can do to the images without an artifact coming into view, so in that respect, it is a problem that could use improvement.

I don't consider uncompressed RAW to be a deal-breaking requirement for me. Let's hope that it is possible through a firmware update, as Guy mentioned.

I'll take the IBIS, the higher MP, etc., without it, though, because I still consider the a7r to be one of the best bodies for my shooting purposes, and expect that the improvements will make it even better.

---Michael

Post Thanks / Like

Full disclosure: 99% sure I won't be buying the A7R II. But as with every Sony mirrorless release I'm very interested in the improvements. I'll now be scanning the search engine for user reports on AF accuracy and speed. When a soccer mom can finally use an A7 camera to capture a kid's soccer game without knowing what an f-stop is and get 90% focused results then Sony will be a real camera company. Of course that will take away all the fun of being a long suffering Sony owner.
    Regards,
    John
    Sony fanboy, shamelessly shilling for "the man" since 2010.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Do we think that the lag has been corrected?

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My bet is yes since there is none or very little with the A7II but not sure yet. Have not heard anyone mention it.

Post Thanks / Like

Two stores I was in today already had full payment preorders from customers.

Sony is changing the game.

-Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I am now thinking of a lens lineup for Sony.
    As a zoom, I would continue to use my Canon 24-70, with Metabones adapter.
    But maybe a few primes on top ?
    The Bati look very very good. What's the word on the original 35mm and 55mm from Sony - Zeiss ? The Loxias are probably optically very good, but I want AF.

Post Thanks / Like

Sony seems to be changing the game over and over. They were one of the first to make the APS-C mirrorless, the first full frame mirrorless, first full frame digital compact fixed lens camera, the first full frame with IBIS etc etc

Not sure it this is a game changer, but rather just keeping on top of the game!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Do we think that the lag has been corrected?
    Which lag? EFCS means way less shutter lag, 5 fps burst with focus tracking focus means this camera is precessing stuff a lot faster than before. I expect this to by overall way faster camera than my current A7R is, just like my A6000 is.

Post Thanks / Like

I will be very interested to see the new backlit sensor with RF wides. It's possible they could really work well.

But no lust for the R2 here, yet. No one is surprised at the 3200 price tag? Once you factor in how fast Sonys depreciate, we are close to Leica territory.

But I can't wait to see what all the great shooters around here will do with the new beast

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Guy Mancuso;645038]Im going to sell my A7II as soon as I get this. NO QUESTION

Me too, Guy. Plus my A7R. I'm on the fence about what to do with my A7S. I really like having one camera do what three did.

john

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Enda Cavanagh View Post
    One of the really annoying things is that with the vertical grip on (which contains 2 batteries) it own't charge. Since getting the H-Cam Mirex adaptor recently I can use the grip, which is great. But charging means having to take off the grip and mess around with the fidley door and still charging one at a time with the usb port
    Didn't you get a separate charger ? then you just take the batteries out of the grip and load them separately ? I got a charger for a single battery, but I think there are charger able to load two batteries at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the double chargers are about $15.

I just bought a plug in single, including car adaptor. I also have a travel plug adaptor with twin USB ports, so this set up allows me to do two batteries in body, one off the mains and one off my laptop. I have the 12 volt car option in case the unthinkable happens.

I have not come close to getting in trouble, but have not spent a week hiking the Inca trail either. Even if I did, I'd just buy another couple of batteries and be all set. Four weeks in the Antarctic without power might change viability of the A7, but that has not happened to me yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Didn't you get a separate charger ? then you just take the batteries out of the grip and load them separately ? I got a charger for a single battery, but I think there are charger able to load two batteries at a time.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miska View Post
    I am now thinking of a lens lineup for Sony.
    As a zoom, I would continue to use my Canon 24-70, with Metabones adapter.
    But maybe a few primes on top ?
    The Bati look very very good. What's the word on the original 35mm and 55mm from Sony - Zeiss ? The Loxias are probably optically very good, but I want AF.
    The 55FE is pretty much universally accepted as a great lens but somewhat clinical. Sharpness or clarity can be removed to taste to aid in a bit of softness if that's your desire as it can be a extremely sharp lens across the frame. I personally love mine and before the 35 Distagon I'd say it was the only FE lens I had no reservations about at all (mind you if they make an updated 55/1.4 Distagon ala the 35 Distagon then I would possibly jump on that.)

The 35/2.8 is a mixed bag... Literally (and this is me being nice about the lens and I believe that I had a decent copy with no extreme decentering that I could readily tell.) The majority have bought and sold due to QC, not living up to reviews, or speed. I sold mine because I didn't think it lived up to the hype personally and I value optical goodness above weight otherwise I'd buy a LensBaby and be done with it all. It's not that the 35/2.8 is bad in performance as it checks the sharpness boxes, the color boxes, and the technical performance boxes outside severe vignetting wide open without a lens profile. I just that I found it to be possibly the most forgettable lens I've ever owned.

The kicker with the 35/2.8 is the "mythical good copy" that is rumored to be able to photograph unicorns, Sasquatch, the chupacabra, and the Loch Ness monster all singing barbershop songs in perfect four part harmony.

I'm sure these lenses exist out there but I still find that the 35 Distagon is unequivocaloy the absolute best rendering lens in the FE system. The 28/2 is great too for the price and size if that's important. FWIW it outperforms the 35/2.8 slightly in the scientific metrics but I'd say it's head and shoulders above it in performance from the pictures I've seen taken with both.
    Last edited by iiiNelson; 12th June 2015 at 06:47.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm sure these lenses exist out there but I still find that the 35 Distagon is unequivocaloy the absolute best rendering lens in the FE system. The 28/2 is great too for the price and size if that's important.

Could not agree more. Wish it was in 5 other focal lengths too

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kolor-Pikker View Post
    Seeing as the pixel wells aren't nearly as deep down anymore, the microlenses are obviously going to have to be of a different shape too, but it's anyone's guess until someone with M glass gets their hands on this camera.

A roughly ~8000x5300 file is listed as using 42MB, so there's definitely compression going on, as Pentax 645D images weighed in around 50MB+ of data.

Compression seems to be Sony's weak point right now, the internal 4K is rated at 100mbps, which is a broadcast quality bitrate... for full HD. 4K needs at least 300~400mbps to be considered "master" quality, like 100mbps is for 1080p.
    I think they assume any serious video work will be recorded uncompressed out of the HDMI into an external recorder. Not sure what specs that data would be... looking forward to the tests.

Post Thanks / Like

Miska,

I rate the 55mm FE Sonnar very highly indeed and its not clinical at all when shot wide open, but what it does not have is a particular fingerprint, especially stopped down. The again few modern lenses do, especially those that are pin sharp from corner to corner. And trust me, the 55 FE is just that. Its a great landscape or scenic lens that can pull of portraits just fine, as long as you are not expecting the soul of a 50mm f1.2 L!

The 35mm FE Sonnar can be very good and I uploaded full rez samples to my blog to prove it as shown here. I may soon add a shot I took while comparing the A7R with the Monochrom, because I have a f2.8 shot there off the 55mm that is quite remarkable, showing its performance at this aperture is within a gnats whisker of its best. Certainly this is a lens you can shoot a distant skyline at f2.8 or f4 and get results better than some 50mm primes at f8, is uniform resolution is your bag.

While I would recommend the 55 Sonnar wholeheartedly, the 35mm Sonnar is a whole world of nuisance, but if you are prepare to play postal ping pong with an understanding retailer, you may well be rewarded with 110g of optical brilliance. In my case, the first two were, aherm, turds (as was the first 55mm, which focused the right and left sides about ten metres apart). I am glad I have my 35mm FE, but would possibly go the Loxia route were I to do it again.

I shot both my 55mm FE and 35mm FE (plus 70-200 FE) heavily during my January trip to Iceland and the photos can be seen here and here. I hope those portfolios will show that the sharp nature of these lenses is no impediment to landscape work.

Hope this helps the decision making and FWIW, I wrote a piece about the FE System and why I think its an absolute game changer here.
    Last edited by turtle; 12th June 2015 at 05:45.
    Blog: http://www.thephotofundamentalist.com

https://www.facebook.com/thephotofundamentalist
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    My suggestion, please let's stop discussing batteries in this thread. It's a non issue.
    Whoever wants to discuss batteries should start a dedicated thread to that issue! Thanks.
    I own two a7R cameras, one converted to IR. And I intend to buy the new a7RII. Having said that, no issue is off limits in a thread that is focused on the excitement surrounding the new Sony offering.

While most of the "wish list" features that we all discussed ad nauseam in other threads, including why certain lenses had too much coma to be adequate for night sky photography (perhaps an esoteric topic deserving its own thread ), two stand out to me as not having been addressed with the a7RII.

Battery life is NOT a "non issue". Yes, I carry more than one fully charged Sony battery when I shoot with the a7R. And yes, I carry a charger to ensure I start each shooting day with at least three charged batteries. But compared to my Nikon D810 and Pentax 645Z (and the Leica S that I sold last year), admittedly larger cameras with larger batteries, the Sony a7xx battery life is sub-par. On more than one occasion when I was about to use the camera, the low battery indication diverted my attention from the subject to replacing the battery. With other modern cameras, I shoot for literally days before replacing the battery. That's not a "non issue". And to put this into a context you might understand, most of my photography is landscapes where a loud shutter isn't a bother. Yet I understood and accepted that the loud shutter and "shutter shock" was an impediment to some who used the a7R.

Some would argue that the a7RII is a small mirrorless camera befitting a small battery. And as some have said, not having to buy new batteries with each new camera model is an advantage in more ways than just wallet depletion. But when you meld an a7II or a7RII with the 35mm f/1.4, Batis 85mm or 25mm, or a Canon lens on an adapter, the end result is a DSLR-sized combo. So the illusion of "small mirrorless" evaporates and makes the small battery argument moot.

The second "wish list" specification that hasn't been addressed (yet) by the new a7RII is the RAW file format and it's not "pointless". Representing the Sony RAW format as "uncompressed" is simply wrong. It is compressed and does have implications when processing RAW files. Whether you see it or not in your files or prints is, for me, the same as ignoring the loud shutter and reported "shutter shock" of the a7R. Perhaps the issue is important to a minority of a7xx users, but it's still an issue. Remember that night sky photography is also a pursuit of a small fraction of Sony shooters, but I still respect those that follow that passion.

My point is this - while we're all excited about the new Sony a7RII, let's not get so frenzied that we ignore real specs or performance that we'd like to see Sony improve or incorporate into their next best thing. I'm going to add the a7RII to my pre-order stable next Wednesday, as many of you will, but I continue to reserve my right to bitch on any forum, including this one, about things that need to be improved.

Respectfully,

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

You make a fair point, Joe. Thankfully it seems the compressed RAW is being looked into by Sony and the grip at least offers a bit more juice for those difficult times. Maybe when the A9 comes, there will be a more DSLR-alike spec with larger batteries. I am guessing so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    I own two a7R cameras, one converted to IR. And I intend to buy the new a7RII. Having said that, no issue is off limits in a thread that is focused on the excitement surrounding the new Sony offering.

While most of the "wish list" features that we all discussed ad nauseam in other threads, including why certain lenses had too much coma to be adequate for night sky photography (perhaps an esoteric topic deserving its own thread ), two stand out to me as not having been addressed with the a7RII.

My point is this - while we're all excited about the new Sony a7RII, let's not get so frenzied that we ignore real specs or performance that we'd like to see Sony improve or incorporate into their next best thing. I'm going to add the a7RII to my pre-order stable next Wednesday, as many of you will, but I continue to reserve my right to bitch on any forum, including this one, about things that need to be improved.

Respectfully,

Joe
    Joe:

You framed out your case well. I'd add one other deficiency and that is pro-level autofocus.

I suspect that both battery and uncompressed RAWs will be addressed in an "A9" model. What I hope is that the battery problem is resolved by a backwards compatible solution (either a body that can accommodate multiple batteries or a new higher capacity battery that matches the size of the current one). But I wouldn't be surprised if they sprang a new battery on us one day. The uncompressed RAW I hope is a choice that they could include in a firmware upgrade (but my knowledge of sensor architecture is close to zero so maybe it's not). Finally, world-class AF may not be something they presently have. That would be a shame. Cause that is the deal breaker that is presently keeping out all those pros with Canikon gear from switching.
    Regards,
    John
    Sony fanboy, shamelessly shilling for "the man" since 2010.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ohnri View Post
    Two stores I was in today already had full payment preorders from customers.

Sony is changing the game.

-Bill
    Well, let's be realistic here. Sony is changing the hype game. We'll see in August if the product actually holds up.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This from an interview posted on SAR:

5) Uncompressed RAW: Sony RAW is compressed, not uncompressed. But if we’re getting a lot of requests for it, we should make such a kind of no-compression raw. We recognize the customer’s requirement, and actually we are working on it. And yes Sony could provide that via simple firmware upgrade!

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully Sony understands that people really only take issue with the fact that their compressed RAW is lossy compression. I'd actually prefer compressed RAWs as long as they are lossless.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamgibson/

Post Thanks / Like

S.O.B!!! I´ve just sold all my Sony Gear for Nikon! Here we go again.

Does anyone want to trade all their FE gear for Nikon?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

NO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    S.O.B!!! I´ve just sold all my Sony Gear for Nikon! Here we go again.

Does anyone want to trade all their FE gear for Nikon?
    Nope, but at least you don't have to trade any lenses (for starters ), they all fit with the appropriate adapter.

Post Thanks / Like

They do fit, but they won´t AF like the Canon EOS

I´ll try to sell all my Nikon gear to Ken Rockwell hahaha

Post Thanks / Like

Wow the specs for this camera have really thrown a spanner in the works for me as it seems to have all the improvements that I would like to see. I have the A7s and A7II. I love the A7s for the silent shutter and high iso capabilities and quality of the files. I like the A7II for the 24mp sensor and IBIS. The new A7rII seems to combine all of these while adding the 42mp sensor (more than I need) and at last you can set a minimum shutter speed in auto iso. The thing is I have just bought the leica Q (by far the best camera they have produced in years and a real marvel) and am short of funds for new Sony unless I sell both the A7s and A7II. decisions, decisions!!!