Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: New Sony A7RII announcement

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New Sony A7RII announcement

Wait for A7sII :-) ?
    That's my plan.

Love my A7s.
    Want IBIS, internal 4k and less rolling shutter "jello" look in videos.
    Higher resolution, and any other features are an added bonus.
    blog
    steve

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like video is driving the tech improvements, from interviews with some of the team.

Which is fine, I understand that may lead to more sales. I still cannot figure out why they want to shoot video from a DSLR configuration, but since 5D, that's just the way, I guess, excluding RED and that other popular vid maker...black magic?

I get a kick out of how defensive many are about the batteries. They were designed for the original Nex-5, and I find them ridiculous with A7. Would not need to be much bigger to get alot more out of them. As Guy noted, the door is pretty funny too, especially on the A7.

But you guys love the batteries, so who am I to rant about it? LOL

I am very curious about the backlit sensor and RF wides, that's for sure, obviously Sony could care less, but if it does well, intentions matter little
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

" I am very curious about the backlit sensor and RF wides, that's for sure, obviously Sony could care less, but if it does well, intentions matter little "

One reason why i preordered, i suspect also we could have nice surprises with some rangefinder lenses added to others qualities this camera will eventually demonstrate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Biglou View Post
    " I am very curious about the backlit sensor and RF wides, that's for sure, obviously Sony could care less, but if it does well, intentions matter little "

One reason why i preordered, i suspect also we could have nice surprises with some rangefinder lenses added to others qualities this camera will eventually demonstrate.
    Indeed this too is another reason to be interested. Will my WATE perform better than the FE16-35? Will the lux 50 asph and CV 12 be better? Will have to wait and see as some seem to suggest that this may be the case.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tn1krr View Post
    Sorry to ruin the party a bit but
    A7R & A7 = 0 EV ISO 100 with F/2.8 lens
    A7II = -1 EV ISO 100 with F/2.0 lens (so this is actually 100% same as A7 & A7R as the lens in spec is one stop faster)
    A7RII = -2 EV ISO 100 F/2.0 lens (1 EV better than all before)
    A7S = -4 EV ISO F/2.0 lens
    I'm not so sure how to interpret these values. In my understanding EV is EV, independent of any lens' aperture value. Also I've never seen Nikon or Canon giving any aperture values with their AF low light sensitivity specs. We'll see it in practice once the A7RII is out.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

While we're waiting, here's something to read ...
    http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/donwl...-a7rii-manual/
    Bart ...
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by joe_leads View Post
    I'm not so sure how to interpret these values. In my understanding EV is EV, independent of any lens' aperture value. Also I've never seen Nikon or Canon giving any aperture values with their AF low light sensitivity specs. We'll see it in practice once the A7RII is out.
    The AF sensitivity stuff can be confusing even ats its best, specially when trying to compare different manufacturers. Saying something like "-2 EV sensitivity" does not really specify conditions fully. The Sony way speccing and how it changed from F/2.8 to F/2.0 is quite easy to read; -2 EV @F/2.0 really is same as -1 EV @F/2.8. See below

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_value

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a high iso example (6400, 1 stop underexposed) that was posted on Luminous Landscape. Doesn't look bad. Visually about the same as iso 1600 on my A850 so probably the same as iso 800 when you start comparing at the same resolution.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Did someone notice this: would we really get a charger and TWO batteries ...

Bart ...
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I missed that! Let's hope it's true.
    Stephen

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

B&H ship date is now August 10 it's been moved up
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Did someone notice this: would we really get a charger and TWO batteries ...

My A7s came with a charger and two batteries. A7II did not. I expect that A7rII will have two batteries and charger.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Flood View Post
    My A7s came with a charger and two batteries. A7II did not. I expect that A7rII will have two batteries and charger.
    Hi Cindy,

that would be excellent - though I read somewhere the 4K video mode is particularly battery-hungry but hopefully this isn't also true for the A7R2's still mode.
    Time will tell ...

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Full-res Sony sample from the A7RII taken with the 90mm macro:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/19500107862/

Post Thanks / Like

Cindy, I asked the customer service rep at the Sony Store when ordering and he seems sure it was only one battery with the a7rII..... I ordered 2 additional as I have 8-10 of these floating around for my NEX bodies and a33. Hey I got them for free with my a7rII order as I had leftover free accessories money after getting the vertical grip for free..

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    Full-res Sony sample from the A7RII taken with the 90mm macro:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/19500107862/
    Unimpressive.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pegelli View Post
    Here's a high iso example (6400, 1 stop underexposed) that was posted on Luminous Landscape. Doesn't look bad. Visually about the same as iso 1600 on my A850 so probably the same as iso 800 when you start comparing at the same resolution.
    Looks really good. Ive read somewhere that the high iso performance its not supposed to be that far ahead of the A7S. Hey, if I can get D750 performance Ill be very very happy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    Cindy, I asked the customer service rep at the Sony Store when ordering and he seems sure it was only one battery with the a7rII..... I ordered 2 additional as I have 8-10 of these floating around for my NEX bodies and a33. Hey I got them for free with my a7rII order as I had leftover free accessories money after getting the vertical grip for free..

B+H lists "in the Box" 2 x NP-FW50 Lithium-Ion Rechargeable Battery (1020mAh)

I guess we will know soon.
    -Cindy
    www.cindyflood.com
    www.flickr.com/cindyflood
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Can never have too many charged batteries either way ..... My free accessories and my first FE lens for it arrive's today. Then it's a wait till 8/5 for the body. Time will drag from now till then

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Can never have too many charged batteries either way ..... My free accessories and my first FE lens for it arrive's today. Then it's a wait till 8/5 for the body. Time will drag from now till then
    Not familiar with Sony shopping how does one get free accessories and batteries? TIA.

Post Thanks / Like

People are going to willingly fork over more than $3300 dollars for a camera body but they
    concern themselves w whether or not Sony will include an extra battery.

Too funny.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    Not familiar with Sony shopping how does one get free accessories and batteries? TIA.

If you pre order through the Sony USA store site and call their customer service to order they have a 15% worth of free accessories offer going on so essentially you get 15% of $3199.99 in value to apply to accessories. Also using the customer service you get free next day shipping. I'll take savings where ever I can find it. Before I pre ordered this way I verified this offer through my Sony Pro Service Plan Manager and he made a call to certify this was legit.

UTE, I'll take any savings or products they care to offer ... these batteries are nearly $80 a pop. This might be insignificant to some but for a working pro money saved is money made! This FE body right now is for my personal use but if it proves itself as a viable tool that I can use for work then I will roll over to this system as my A mount stuff wears out. Right now this is a testing the water's expenditure and I see no direct financial return from it at this moment. An extra $80 battery included? If true, I'll take it with a smile and be appreciative they included it!

Post Thanks / Like

If you pre order through the Sony USA store site and call their customer service to order they have a 15% worth of free accessories offer going on so essentially you get 15% of $3199.99 in value to apply to accessories. Also using the customer service you get free next day shipping. I'll take savings where ever I can find it. Before I pre ordered this way I verified this offer through my Sony Pro Service Plan Manager and he made a call to certify this was legit.

UTE, I'll take any savings or products they care to offer ... these batteries are nearly $80 a pop. This might be insignificant to some but for a working pro money saved is money made! This FE body right now is for my personal use but if it proves itself as a viable tool that I can use for work then I will roll over to this system as my A mount stuff wears out. Right now this is a testing the water's expenditure and I see no direct financial return from it at this moment. An extra $80 battery included? If true, I'll take it with a smile and be appreciative they included it!
    You can get 3rd party batteries for way less than that and they work just fine Jim.

Post Thanks / Like

Ute, that is not always true either. I bought several 3rd party batteries back in the a33/original Nex5 days and some would not work in Sony chargers and two I had to put a matchstick between the cover and the battery to get them to power up these or my later NEX7 bodies. Some non OEM battery housings were just a bit too short. Since this adventure in 3rd party batteries I just bite the bullet and get the OEM's and rest assured they will work as designed. Peace of mind has some value... That is why I buy the 4 year extended cover everything Sony warranties and am a pro support member just to have this peace of mind that if something goes south I'll have Sony management helping me get it resolved at their third party repair facility. I'll spend money for value added items.

I don't sell any of my gear and use it till it is to the point where it is costing me money or profit...... Extended warranties just make $$$ sense in my case. If I chased the latest and greatest buying and selling every 6-8 months then I would not even consider the pro plan or extended warranties.

Post Thanks / Like

Ute, that is not always true either. I bought several 3rd party batteries back in the a33/original Nex5 days and some would not work in Sony chargers and two I had to put a matchstick between the cover and the battery to get them to power up these or my later NEX7 bodies. Some non OEM battery housings were just a bit too short. Since this adventure in 3rd party batteries I just bite the bullet and get the OEM's and rest assured they will work as designed. Peace of mind has some value... That is why I buy the 4 year extended cover everything Sony warranties and am a pro support member just to have this peace of mind that if something goes south I'll have Sony management helping me get it resolved at their third party repair facility. I'll spend money for value added items.

I don't sell any of my gear and use it till it is to the point where it is costing me money or profit...... Extended warranties just make $$$ sense in my case. If I chased the latest and greatest buying and selling every 6-8 months then I would not even consider the pro plan or extended warranties.
    I've had really good luck w Wasabi batteries and charger.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure that over the years this particular design battery reversed engineered by 3rd party manufacturers has worked it's bugs out and probably works very well(they better of being as the early product were nearly unusable). I just got burned once and I rarely give anyone a chance to make me say "shame on me". Plus as a old retired ex-manufacturing management person I have a issue with companies that reverse engineer. I know it's done and know many companies do very well side stepping the royalty payments and underselling OEM's (Sigma lenses for a classic example) I just try to avoid doing business with them in these area's whenever possible. I realize this is MY issue but it is what it is in this case with where and how I will spend my dollars.

I know ... I know .... I am showing my age and my rigid unyielding value system ....... can't help it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the Sony batteries and the Wasabi. Both seem very good. Never a issue
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What about Watson from B&H?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Ute View Post
    People are going to willingly fork over more than $3300 dollars for a camera body but they

Too funny.
    Hahaha...my thoughts exactly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Ute View Post

Too funny.
    I think it's indicative of how consumers think, even professional photographers and serious amateurs. It seems trivial, as the costs of hardly amount to much, but it's a source of attention and frustration when these things aren't included.

The after market profit on these items are huge, so Sony (and their retailers) will have to look elsewhere for add-ons. I suspect the margin on the A7RII is large enough to make up the difference. The end result is a happier buyer and no more "I paid $x,xxx and I DON'T get an extra battery?!?!!" posts. Win/win.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    I think it's indicative of how consumers think, even professional photographers and serious amateurs. It seems trivial, as the costs of hardly amount to much, but it's a source of attention and frustration when these things aren't included.

The after market profit on these items are huge, so Sony (and their retailers) will have to look elsewhere for add-ons. I suspect the margin on the A7RII is large enough to make up the difference. The end result is a happier buyer and no more "I paid $x,xxx and I DON'T get an extra battery?!?!!" posts. Win/win.
    It doesn't just seem trivial. It is trivial.

Post Thanks / Like

I still think it is a value added item no matter if the camera costs $800 or $5000 and a real cost to the customer to include it.

How did you guy's feel when the auto makers stopped selling their vehicles with regular tires for spare and put a donut in it's place. Or when you bought a RX1 or RX100 without a battery charger and was told to USB it. Or when you paid more to have lead in your gasoline then paid even more to get gasoline without lead.

One may call this trivial as all these values are insignificant to the total cost of the product but I can assure you someone in a board room stood in front and had the figures in 6 and 7 digits as to the yearly savings the company achieved leaving these items out. Someone see's and recognizes the value in leaving it out of the package and selling it to the customer as a accessory. They make money on both ends this way.

Customers get used to a certain level of product completeness when they buy something and anything less no matter how much of a percentage of total value of the purchased item will appear as if they were cheated of what they deserve. In this case $80 is small compared to the retail price of the item but it still is $80 you must turn around and spend to get one on your own.

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"The lack of an extra battery is a trivial issue" is internet speak for "I have no need for another battery."

I'm no exception - when the A7II came with one battery and no charger, I was annoyed. Now that I have 5 batteries and two chargers, I'll be annoyed when the next camera comes with extra batteries and a charger.

Other favorites are:
    "Company X must do Y to survive" => "I want Y from Company X"
    "Only hipster poseurs use Camera Z" => "I can't rationalize spending the money on Camera Z"
    "Since Camera A has better Measurement M than Camera B, Camera A is objectively better than Camera B"=> "I like pictures that show off Measurement M."
    "This is an objective fact" => "This is my opinion"
    "Amateurs do P, Professionals do Q" => "I do Q."

Matt
    Last edited by MGrayson; 16th July 2015 at 02:36.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think I maybe a bit heavy on the batteries myself especially if the camera comes with two and I just grabbed two with my accessories savings cash from Sony.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think anybody has said the lack of battery is a trivial issue... to the consumer. However, cost wise, it IS a trivial issue for the manufacturer.

We've seen how HUGE the savings are when you buy batteries/chargers from a third party. That should give an indication as to the cost of manufacture. There's tons of profit there, and therein lies the true costs to Sony - say goodbye to that nice, fat margin.

I read somewhere that retailers don't have a large margin on the camera bodies, and anyone who has tried to buy a camera at a brick/mortar store knows the story: always a hard sell to get you to "add on". It's similar to automobiles - the dealership doesn't make ton on the car sale, but boy do they reap it in on aftermarket - upgrades, extended warranties etc, maintenance. Try and get out of a dealership without a long presentation of why we should "add on" to the warranty. It doesn't happen.

I am very happy if the extra battery(s) are indeed included. And many thanks to Sony for recognizing customer goodwill trumps the lost profits from a few add-ons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dealer markup is very low. I have heard 3 percent

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not the extra battery I'm happy about, it's that included charger
    In fact I'm rather worried why Sony feel the need to provide two batteries ...

All the best.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Well tha A7s came with 2 batteries and a charger as well and you certainly need the extra batteries if you want to shoot for any length of time