The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Sony A7RII announcement

V

Vivek

The question is "does it still have lossy raw compression?".
Teera, Yes. Further up in this thread, it has been pointed out.

The only improvement (over the earlier A7 cams) is the new processor. I suspect that Sony would have addressed some of the concerns of lossy RAW in A7r in this one.

turtle

Jorgen, it sounds like DSLR territory for you, not only for battery life but also AF tracking. The Sony cams won't compete here for some time one suspects.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, it sounds like DSLR territory for you, not only for battery life but also AF tracking. The Sony cams won't compete here for some time one suspects.
It is for the time being at least, but I'm very curious to see where this is heading, and when somebody is going to pick up the glove and answer Sony's challenge. If it can become this good without some of the major manufacturers participating, there's obviously potential well beyond this model, even within the limitations of current technology.

mbroomfield

No, the weight is not the issue, charging is, at least for me when I travel. If I use 4 batteries within a day, I will have to charge 4 batteries in the evening. That means more than one charger or sitting in the hotel room changing batteries to be charged while I would rather have visited a local restaurant to have dinner. It's not a big issue, but it's a hassle. I had it with the Panasonics, and I often started the day without full charge on all batteries. In addition, many batteries means more items to be remembered, packed, stored etc.
Well just get a dual charger to put 2 batteries on charge. 2 done while having dinner and 2 done while sleeping...

pegelli

This whole battery discussion is a boring repeat of what was discussed in many previous threads. For me it's a non-issue, for some others it is and that's fine, but why does it have to be repeated and harped about with every new Sony camera introduction :loco:

Maybe some people who are concerned with the battery life could test this one. Low price might give some indication of longevity but if they work it's more then double the capacity of a standard Sony version.

turtle

I suspect that if there is an A9 being developed, it won't be released until the AF can genuinely compete with DSLRs. I really think this is the next step and it may take another 18-24 months to get there. A larger heavier chassis (700g?) with bigger battery, inbuilt vertical grip perhaps... all this would appeal to many, but if it cannot compete in AF terms with DSLRs but is approaching this weight, it will be a hard sell.

As for the A7R II, I am not worried about the sensor being unproven, because who remembers the last bad Sony sensor? They're rather good on this front! I am not worried by the chassis (A7II has already proven that). In fact, what we see is most likely precisely what we will get. I see no reason to expect otherwise, firmware glitches aside.

I think we should forget compatibility with M wides. I very much doubt any will better the likes of the 25 Batis or 35mm Loxia. The FE system is maturing without the M camera overlap some (including myself) hoped for. At the same time, I am very pleased to see where it is going. The 25mm f2 Batis is much lighter than its DLST cousins (I feared a 600g monster). The system is still lighter and more compact than the DSLR, but with higher imaging potential than anything else on the market. Its bigger and more complex than Leica M, however, but offers many more features and more capability (which many M lovers would rather eschew).

The FE system has carved its own niche and its looking pretty darned appealing even for many of those who were previously unconvinced.

Some say Sony overcooked their press release, but I don't. To my eyes, this is a staggering step forwards (made 'viable' by the Batis lenses and, to a degree, the 28mm f2) and the penultimate step before the model that truly challenges DSLR owned territory.... and quite possibly the M-Rangefinder too (looking at the direction Leica has gone with the Q. Just give it 5-6 years and I struggle to see any other outcome.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I really have no concerns at all. The two sticking points dual card slots is always going to be a safeguard issue. Advice do not buy cheap SD cards. Spend the money on high quality cards like Sandisk extreme Pros and the like. You want fast cards for buffer reasons shooting and downloading. Don't skimp here. The compression stuff has not been a issue for me but it's a firmware upgrade and Sony is said to be working on it. I believe they are and also it maybe in the final production unit. Buying regardless. Batteries is a non issue for me. I actually like the small batteries and 3rd party batteries like Watsons work really well and are cheap as heck.

AF speed unless your shooting professional sports this is highly overrated. It's a non issue for real sports shooters . This thing can track very well and if it's even close to the A6000 than there is nothing t much better out there. FPS 5 frames for a 42 MPX sensor is just flat out outstanding. People forget that data rush on pushing this many MPX. You need more than you need less MPX cameras to do that , keep your canon. But I'm old school I shot sports with no motor drives no winders and still was successful. Honestly don't take offense but this is lazy people talking that just want to lay on the shutter and not think. Had to be said. LOL

Price is price pay it or not. Leica in my mind is overpriced but others buy them like buying a bottle of water. Good for them. There really is no argument here buy it or not, it's a personal call. I happen to think for the specs and the feature sets plus the ability to now take on canon glass with AF, Sony A glass with AF with speeds and full AF points is priceless. I'm buying not quibbling on this stuff. It's a camera that checks a lot of boxes for me. It's what I have been waiting for and I'm first in line.

Here is my real bottom line in all this. I have made some really outstanding images with the A7r and I mean on a technical level and IQ. This can only improve on the technical side of continuing that trend. Coming from a lot of systems and MF digital for years, I am really extremely pleased with my results and I'm one of the stickler persons around on that level. It may not fit everyone but it sure fits me and I see continued success on my ART and that's my bottom line. Now I just need to complete my lens lineup and get this body and I'll go hide in the dark corners of this planet and make some Art.

Last edited:

The Ute

I really have no concerns at all. The two sticking points dual card slots is always going to be a safeguard issue. Advice do not buy cheap SD cards. Spend the money on high quality cards like Sandisk extreme Pros and the like. You want fast cards for buffer reasons shooting and downloading. Don't skimp here. The compression stuff has not been a issue for me but it's a firmware upgrade and Sony is said to be working on it. I believe they are and also it maybe in the final production unit. Buying regardless. Batteries is a non issue for me. I actually like the small batteries and 3rd party batteries like Watsons work really well and are cheap as heck.

AF speed unless your shooting professional sports this is highly overrated. It's a non issue for real sports shooters . This thing can track very well and if it's even close to the A6000 than there is nothing t much better out there. FPS 5 frames for a 42 MPX sensor is just flat out outstanding. People forget that data rush on pushing this many MPX. You need more than you need less MPX cameras to do that , keep your canon. But I'm old school I shot sports with no motor drives no winders and still was successful. Honestly don't take offense but this is lazy people talking that just want to lay on the shutter and not think. Had to be said. LOL

Price is price pay it or not. Leica in my mind is overpriced but others buy them like buying a bottle of water. Good for them. There really is no argument here buy it or not, it's a personal call. I happen to think for the specs and the feature sets plus the ability to now take on canon glass with AF, Sony A glass with AF with speeds and full AF points is priceless. I'm buying not quibbling on this stuff. It's a camera that checks a lot of boxes for me. It's what I have been waiting for and I'm first in line.

Here is my real bottom line in all this. I have made some really outstanding images with the A7r and I mean on a technical level and IQ. This can only improve on the technical side of continuing that trend. Coming from a lot of systems and MF digital for years, I am really extremely pleased with my results and I'm one of the pickets persons around on that level. It may not fit everyone but it sure fits me and I see continued success on my ART and that's my bottom line.
No you're not. I'm ahead of you.:p

MikalWGrass

I am just wondering if this camera will help me take better photos or it can just reinforce bad habits at a more expensive price?

I heard the USB port acts as AC adapter which my help some folks
One of the really annoying things is that with the vertical grip on (which contains 2 batteries) it own't charge. Since getting the H-Cam Mirex adaptor recently I can use the grip, which is great. But charging means having to take off the grip and mess around with the fidley door and still charging one at a time with the usb port

Thats news to me that Sony has acknowledged it and is working on it. Do you know when/where they said this? This is likely the only real remaining nit with the A7x bodies for me.

... The compression stuff has not been a issue for me but it's a firmware upgrade and Sony is said to be working on it ...

iiiNelson

This whole battery discussion is a boring repeat of what was discussed in many previous threads. For me it's a non-issue, for some others it is and that's fine, but why does it have to be repeated and harped about with every new Sony camera introduction :loco:

Maybe some people who are concerned with the battery life could test this one. Low price might give some indication of longevity but if they work it's more then double the capacity of a standard Sony version.
Agreed and FWIW I'm happy they are staying with the same batteries. It means that those invested in Sony won't have to buy new batteries/chargers for what would be marginal real world power increases.

All cameras with electrically centralized components are going to be power hungry and the FE are right in the range of every other mirrorless camera in getting 300-400 shots per full charge per battery.

This brings up another issue regarding the travel argument - as someone that travelled a lot for work in a lot of remote/3rd world locations I can say for a fact that you can always plan your photo trips accordingly. Sorry but you just can.If you run out of juice or planned poorly (malfunction not withstanding) then it's your fault.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thats news to me that Sony has acknowledged it and is working on it. Do you know when/where they said this? This is likely the only real remaining nit with the A7x bodies for me.
Been posted a couple places. I have to look for it but under the gun right now

mjm6

Some say Sony overcooked their press release, but I don't. To my eyes, this is a staggering step forwards (made 'viable' by the Batis lenses and, to a degree, the 28mm f2) and the penultimate step before the model that truly challenges DSLR owned territory.... and quite possibly the M-Rangefinder too (looking at the direction Leica has gone with the Q. Just give it 5-6 years and I struggle to see any other outcome.
Kudos for a correct use of the word 'penultimate"!

Pradeep

Another kind of photography I do is motor sports, where around 2,000 photos per day is often the norm. There are others who shoot much more. You shoot all relevant cars at the first couple of laps, in burst mode, then trying to improve the shots throughout the race, and when there are 10 or more races in a day... 2,000 shots go very fast. If there's oil on the track, a fire, it starts to rain or whatever, hundreds of shots are fired within minutes to get the most spectacular one. 15 seconds to change battery is not an option. That will happen when the race leader crashes into a wall in spectacular fashion.

For some reason, camera manufacturers have for years optimised cameras and batteries to get as many shots per charge as possible. I simply don't believe that this has suddenly become irrelevant. For me, it's most certainly not, and when it is, I still feel more comfortable with a battery that covers me for 1,000 or 3,000 shots than one that can only manage 300.

I'm sure the A7R II is a fine camera, probably one of the best out there right now, the best for many. But for me and a couple of others, it's only usable if they come up with a larger battery. I don't think it's wrong to point that out. Hopefully, Sony staff read photography forums :)
I too am a A7R user and have a 1DX and now a 7D2 for the 'action' photos. No way you can use the Sony for fast action like animals running or motor sports. I have ended up with 20,000 images in 5 days on some tours where there was a lot of action and I would end up with 2000-3000 images in a single 3hr session. However, with the Sony, it is (or has been so far) a more deliberate approach. For example on the trips where it has been my main camera, I have taken less than 400 shots a day. Simply because it is harder to do more than that on landscapes.

So for me, in the current version of the A7R, batteries are not an issue. I can see how it make become one if the MkII truly does a better job with AF and therefore translates into greater use for action images.

Pradeep

bradhusick

This whole discussion of RAW compression is pointless. I defy anyone to tell if it was used on prints up to 20x30".