The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Sony A7RII announcement

mjm6

This whole battery discussion is a boring repeat of what was discussed in many previous threads. For me it's a non-issue, for some others it is and that's fine, but why does it have to be repeated and harped about with every new Sony camera introduction :loco:
Really... we used to have to access the back of the camera every 36 shots, remember those days? Anyone fond of the really fiddly film loading procedure in the Leica bodies, or the fact that the Nikons had a habit of stripping sprocket holes, so you needed to check the load before closing the back?

Popping a battery and replacing is basically something that can be done in the dark by feel(if the batteries had a bit more asymmetry, that would help on this a little). I really don't see what the problem is for people.

---Michael

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
This whole discussion of RAW compression is pointless. I defy anyone to tell if it was used on prints up to 20x30".
Agree. Its people pushing files from here to Alaska that seem to have the issue. Take the correct exposure and you won't have the issues and I never seen it. Ever

Guy Mancuso

Really... we used to have to access the back of the camera every 36 shots, remember those days? Anyone fond of the really fiddly film loading procedure in the Leica bodies, or the fact that the Nikons had a habit of stripping sprocket holes, so you needed to check the load before closing the back?

Popping a battery and replacing is basically something that can be done in the dark by feel(if the batteries had a bit more asymmetry, that would help on this a little). I really don't see what the problem is for people.

---Michael
You wanna be really fast take the battery door off. It really serves very little purpose anyway.

I'm psyched. I've just finished building my Sony architecture platform:

Arca Universalis View Camera
Canon 17mm TS-e
Canon 24mm TS-e II
Contax 35mm PC
Hasselblad CFi/e lenses 40mm, 50mm, 60mm & 80mm

I don't get the battery issue. I bought 4 batteries with my A7r when I saw all the comments about it and I rarely use more than 2 a day. That's with the camera on for 10 hour days. See how long you can get out of two batteries with a digital back.

While we're on the subject, I've been so pleased with the A7r that my IQ260 / Rm3d are currently out with a prospective buyer.

The only thing I don't love on the A7r II is the bigger grip. It's going to be more in the way on the view camera.

IMHO,
CB

Guy Mancuso

I'm right there with you. I'm so psyched about this cam. Can't wait to get it. I'm thinking of getting the 17mm TSE again than Batis 25, 85 along with my 35 1.4 , loxia 50 and Minokta 200. Nice kit for me

mazor

This whole battery discussion is a boring repeat of what was discussed in many previous threads. For me it's a non-issue, for some others it is and that's fine, but why does it have to be repeated and harped about with every new Sony camera introduction :loco:

Maybe some people who are concerned with the battery life could test this one. Low price might give some indication of longevity but if they work it's more then double the capacity of a standard Sony version.

How "bad" exactly is the battery life for instance for the a7ii vs say the likes of the E-M1?

k-hawinkler

How "bad" exactly is the battery life for instance for the a7ii vs say the likes of the E-M1?
Well, let me take a stab at this. I have A7R, NEX-7, NEX-5N, E-M1, E-M5, and E-M5 II.
Typically I shoot hundreds of shots in a morning or afternoon/evening.
I keep my batteries in chargers until I need them.
So, I start with fully charged batteries.
So far, I have never needed a second battery.
With the E-M1 and E-M5 II in continuous mode I have on and off shot around 600 to 700 shots,
before my 16 GB memory card was full, as I keep both raw and jpg files.
But I didn't need a second battery.
Now I have replaced my 16 GB memory cards with 64 GB cards.
I'll see whether now I can exhaust a battery.

I had to replace one 6 year old battery for my Leica M9.
It showed a full load when I started using it, but lasted only for 5 or 6 shots.
I have replaced it with a new battery - no problems since.

My suggestion, please let's stop discussing batteries in this thread. It's a non issue.
Whoever wants to discuss batteries should start a dedicated thread to that issue! Thanks.

Last edited:

tn1krr

Found the spec on low-light focusing on the Sony site:

A7rII = -2 EV!
A7r & A7 = 0 EV
A7II = -1 EV
A7s = -4 EV

Good to see it'll be even better than the A7II! :D
Sorry to ruin the party a bit but
A7R & A7 = 0 EV ISO 100 with F/2.8 lens
A7II = -1 EV ISO 100 with F/2.0 lens (so this is actually 100% same as A7 & A7R as the lens in spec is one stop faster)
A7RII = -2 EV ISO 100 F/2.0 lens (1 EV better than all before)
A7S = -4 EV ISO F/2.0 lens

All the are CDAF values (sensor-PDAF is long gone to sleep at these light levels) so they pretty much follow sensor high ISO sensitivity; so it would be unreasonable to expect A7 II be any better than A7 and A7R. A7R II is better than the A7/A7R but it is not "half way" to A7S.

The interesting question is at what light levels the the sensor-PDAF goes to sleep; this has direct effect on how soon the LA-EA3 + A Mount lens AF starts to suck as light levels get lower. The on-sensor PDAF is gonna need some CDAF for final focus fine tune (I'm 99% sure about this) so lenses with wrong kind of focus motors are going to suffer from the the increased reliance on the CDAF as light levels get lower.

tn1krr

This whole discussion of RAW compression is pointless. I defy anyone to tell if it was used on prints up to 20x30".
99.X% of the time this is true. But not always. For bulb exposure + superhigh contrast edges (like you quessed it: just like Star Trails) it can be quite visible without processing and way below 100% viewing.

Download the worst case example type from here and see for yourself, link in 3rd chapter

http://www.rawdigger.com/howtouse/sony-craw-arw2-posterization-detection

Compression blocks are easily visible at about 50-75% view with zero processing; at least in my HW-calibrated Eizo Spectraview 302W. Bulb mode causes camera to drop to 12-bit mode and this amplifies the issue as it further limits what values are "available" inside the compression block in each color channel.

I've tested this personally too and similar effect can be seen in star trails and like when background is of type that exposes the blocks.

I've been using the Metabones for the Canon glass. SK Grimes should be close to done with my Eos mount lens board, though. This will lack electronic control, so I'll set apertures with the Metabones.

mjm6

99.X% of the time this is true. But not always. For bulb exposure + superhigh contrast edges (like you quessed it: just like Star Trails) it can be quite visible without processing and way below 100% viewing.
I agree with you and really would like to see uncompressed RAW from this camera!

I also agree that it doesn't impact images MOST of the time, but if you shoot a lot of star trails, clearly, the current cameras are not going to be the best option.

I also feel this becomes more of an issue when shooting for B&W, which I do a lot. It reduces the amount of manipulation that I can do to the images without an artifact coming into view, so in that respect, it is a problem that could use improvement.

I don't consider uncompressed RAW to be a deal-breaking requirement for me. Let's hope that it is possible through a firmware update, as Guy mentioned.

I'll take the IBIS, the higher MP, etc., without it, though, because I still consider the a7r to be one of the best bodies for my shooting purposes, and expect that the improvements will make it even better.

---Michael

jfirneno

Full disclosure: 99% sure I won't be buying the A7R II. But as with every Sony mirrorless release I'm very interested in the improvements. I'll now be scanning the search engine for user reports on AF accuracy and speed. When a soccer mom can finally use an A7 camera to capture a kid's soccer game without knowing what an f-stop is and get 90% focused results then Sony will be a real camera company. Of course that will take away all the fun of being a long suffering Sony owner.

Guy Mancuso

My bet is yes since there is none or very little with the A7II but not sure yet. Have not heard anyone mention it.

ohnri

Two stores I was in today already had full payment preorders from customers.

Sony is changing the game.

-Bill

miska

I am now thinking of a lens lineup for Sony.
As a zoom, I would continue to use my Canon 24-70, with Metabones adapter.
But maybe a few primes on top ?
The Bati look very very good. What's the word on the original 35mm and 55mm from Sony - Zeiss ? The Loxias are probably optically very good, but I want AF.

mazor

Sony seems to be changing the game over and over. They were one of the first to make the APS-C mirrorless, the first full frame mirrorless, first full frame digital compact fixed lens camera, the first full frame with IBIS etc etc

Not sure it this is a game changer, but rather just keeping on top of the game!

tn1krr

Do we think that the lag has been corrected?
Which lag? EFCS means way less shutter lag, 5 fps burst with focus tracking focus means this camera is precessing stuff a lot faster than before. I expect this to by overall way faster camera than my current A7R is, just like my A6000 is.