The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony 70-200 f4 vs Olympus 50-200 SWD f/2.8-3.5

Cyberratchet

Hi guys!

I bought an Olympus EM-1 with the 12-40 f/2.8 and Olympus 50-200 SWD f/2.8-3.5 2-3 months ago, because I thought I’d enjoy a simple kit with only 2 lenses. I got all 3 items for a decent price, so I’ll probably can sell them for the same price (or probably a small profit) so it’s not a big deal, but the camera doesn’t work for me. I realized that I vastly prefer manual focus on shorter FLs and, I can’t point my finger on it, just prefer the look of my NEX pics in comparison to the EM1/12-40 combo.

I miss shooting with my M-mount lenses on my NEX-6, so I’m going to sell the EM1 with the lenses as well as my NEX-6 and buy a A7 II instead (I should have done that right away…).

The problem is that I’ll lose my only lens with a FL higher than 90mm. The EM-1 and 50-200 combo is way too expensive to keep (especially because I want to buy a Voigtländer 21mm f/1.8) , so I’ll need a replacement for this lens. The only problem is that the 50-200 is quite the stunner and I’d like a similar lens for the A7 II.

I haven’t found any written comparisons between Sony and Olympus lenses. The best thing I found was Steve Huffs article “Olympus E-M1 with 40-150 f/2.8 vs Sony A7s with 70-200 f/4”, but I’d like more than one opinion on the lens.

Btw, has anyone found a decent 1.4ish tele converter for the Sony lens (and I don’t mean an APS-C camera^^)?

Greetings, Julian.