Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: A7RII game plan

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: A7RII game plan

Like to see more of the Voigtlander 15mm. I had one years ago .

Glad to hear it's good. Got mixed reviews
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A7rIi game plan

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    That doesn't have to be fiddly if you use the camera light meter to adjust the aperture of a Nikkor G lens. By counting factors of 2 in exposure time changes while adjusting the lens aperture one can get exactly the desired aperture I find.
    I agree, it is not impossible to get the aperture correct (exposure wise), but it is not the same as having the ability to 'dial it in' or change it quickly on the fly.

With the Nikon to Canon and then Canon to Sony adapter on, the whole thing becomes bulky too. The aperture ring can only be set at 'widest' or 'smallest', there is really no way to control the in-between stops without a lot of back and forth adjustments. The ring itself is not smooth in operation and there are no indents either, so closing down by 1 or 2 stops is quite cumbersome. Of course one needs to compromise when using adapted lenses but would much rather have had an auto-focus, aperture-controllable lens in the first place. Willing to pay good money for it too.

Hopefully Sony will come out with one - until then perhaps primes will have to do.

Pradeep
    Too much to list, let's just say I have a bad case of GAS.........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    I will have to just drool over the A7rII for the foreseeable future. Too rich for my blood, unfortunately with other spending priorities at the moment. I will stick with my A7 for the time being. If I can sell it and upgrade to the A7II for $300 net or less, I might consider that for the IBIS/AF/handling improvements.
    I am in the same boat and actually look forward to purchasing someone's gently used a7r or a7II bodies at a fire sale price, of course. At present my a7 will continue as the work horse. I am very pleased with my current set of lenses. My basic kit includes 35mm f2.8, 16-35mm f4, Contax G 90mm f2.8, and several A-mount lenses with the LA-E4 adapter. The Minolta 100mm f2 and the Sony 50mm f1.4 get the most use. My Sony 70-300mm seems to be permanently attached to my a850.

In the end, this camera (a7rII) is an exciting leap forward for the E-mount. It also appears that Sony is actually listening to user critiques and has made the upgrades/changes that have been requested. I know that down the road I will buy one or a very similar featured camera in the future.
    Henry

Post Thanks / Like

Chris - use the 17-40 much?

Doesn't seem to be in the same league as your others.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, I will be a "wait and see" buyer for this camera ..... I have been bit before with being a early adopter on new technology. It is hard not to get swept up in the buying panic but I have learned and wear the scars.

I have been waiting for a "A9 variant" of the full frame mirrorless line (if it ever becomes a reality) but like you this a7RII checks many of the boxes I have been looking for. $3300 and a collection of $1500 a piece glass to go along with it is a sizable investment so I want no mistakes or regrets. Too many I see jump into the early adopter fires, rave about them, then oddly within a few weeks or months they are jumping on yet the next new wave widget while bad mouthing the one they just left. If one follow's their recommendations they are likely not getting any truly reliable user info, just new buyer hype and justification for their buying habit.

I will wait, watch, and draw info from as many reliable sources as I can find, and try and get one in my hands, before hitting the "buy" button and committing to a complete change in lens mount glass. Who knows while waiting a new a99II may be released that may suit my needs as well as reducing my overall investment costs by letting me stay with unadapted A mount glass which I own a boatload of.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    Too many I see jump into the early adopter fires, rave about them, then oddly within a few weeks or months they are jumping on yet the next new wave widget while bad mouthing the one they just left. If one follow's their recommendations they are likely not getting any truly reliable user info, just new buyer hype and justification for their buying habit.
    I never come across anyone like that here or anywhere else!

Have you seen one drawback reported on the A7r ii or the Baitii lenses and such? None. Flawless stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, I will be a "wait and see" buyer for this camera ..... I have been bit before with being a early adopter on new technology. It is hard not to get swept up in the buying panic but I have learned and wear the scars.

I have been waiting for a "A9 variant" of the full frame mirrorless line (if it ever becomes a reality) but like you this a7RII checks many of the boxes I have been looking for. $3300 and a collection of $1500 a piece glass to go along with it is a sizable investment so I want no mistakes or regrets. Too many I see jump into the early adopter fires, rave about them, then oddly within a few weeks or months they are jumping on yet the next new wave widget while bad mouthing the one they just left. If one follow's their recommendations they are likely not getting any truly reliable user info, just new buyer hype and justification for their buying habit.

I will wait, watch, and draw info from as many reliable sources as I can find, and try and get one in my hands, before hitting the "buy" button and committing to a complete change in lens mount glass. Who knows while waiting a new a99II may be released that may suit my needs as well as reducing my overall investment costs by letting me stay with unadapted A mount glass which I own a boatload of.
    Your not alone here and a lot of folks are taking the wait and see approach which is perfectly a very smart thing to do. How I look at it for me is I am buying my way out of the A7r issues that it had and I accept that as the cost of doing business. I want a near flawless camera and not have to supplement it with other bodies to get certain work done. I feel this will handle about 95 percent of what I do , so for me its a done deal. But I totally respect folks decision to wait and actually encourage it, let us guinea pigs figure it and than make a call. I have been here way too often myself. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

what i want are the following
    sony a7rii
    third party grip a7rii
    28 and 85 ziess lenses
    90 macro

i don't know how its going to happen yet. no pre orders for me. looking in oct nov time frame and let the dust settle a bit. may be some will show up on the used market. may be i should wait for guy to sell his stuff since the new batch sony cameras will be out real soon

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep View Post
    I agree, it is not impossible to get the aperture correct (exposure wise), but it is not the same as having the ability to 'dial it in' or change it quickly on the fly.

With the Nikon to Canon and then Canon to Sony adapter on, the whole thing becomes bulky too. The aperture ring can only be set at 'widest' or 'smallest', there is really no way to control the in-between stops without a lot of back and forth adjustments. The ring itself is not smooth in operation and there are no indents either, so closing down by 1 or 2 stops is quite cumbersome. Of course one needs to compromise when using adapted lenses but would much rather have had an auto-focus, aperture-controllable lens in the first place. Willing to pay good money for it too.

Hopefully Sony will come out with one - until then perhaps primes will have to do.

Pradeep

I use a single Novoflex adapter and have not experienced the issues you describe.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

The question I think will determine if the A7R2 is simply "the next Sony" or a ground breaker which will become a classic like the 5D or M6, is: will the incredible Leica RF wides perform well with the new sensor technology, (which there is some reason to hope) ?

This would put the camera in the bag of many great shooters who would not otherwise consider it and push the buzz to critical mass, I think.

My current kit is M9, A7.mod and a lot of glass. And I really like it. So, A7r2 will not be pre-ordered here. I have no lust for M240 either. However, if, in the long run, the A7r2 proves fantastic with M glass, I will grab a used one someday maybe

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I just noticed on the auction site...... used A7R prices have tanked. many listed around or below $1k. The great escape has started .......

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
    The question I think will determine if the A7R2 is simply "the next Sony" or a ground breaker which will become a classic like the 5D or M6, is: will the incredible Leica RF wides perform well with the new sensor technology, (which there is some reason to hope) ?

This would put the camera in the bag of many great shooters who would not otherwise consider it and push the buzz to critical mass, I think.

My current kit is M9, A7.mod and a lot of glass. And I really like it. So, A7r2 will not be pre-ordered here. I have no lust for M240 either. However, if, in the long run, the A7r2 proves fantastic with M glass, I will grab a used one someday maybe
    I wouldn't bank or base my decision of buying an A7RII on whether it performs with M mount wide. There are some great native lenses now.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I wouldn't bank or base my decision of buying an A7RII on whether it performs with M mount wide. There are some great native lenses now.

Well, already the A7R works well with the Leica WATE 16-18-21/4 lens. It has problems though with Leica M-lenses primarily in the 21 to 35 even the 50 mm range. But, it works well with Leica R-lenses throughout. For me that covers my needs for manual focus only lenses.

In terms of additional lenses I am interested in native AF ones. That area seems to have improved somewhat and will improve further.

What I found most interesting since the A7R came to market was the discussion about the thickness of the sensor cover glass and its influence. Maybe that issue will get partially addressed with curved sensors down the road.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

While I am planning to get an A7r II in the future, I have to save up my pennies for it. I also need to get a third Sony lens to qualify for Pro Service. Donations anyone? I accept Paypal!
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One thing I just noticed on the auction site...... used A7R prices have tanked. many listed around or below $1k. The great escape has started .......
    Not really. eBay prices for [Sold] used a7R bodies (in the US) are still hovering between $1,125 and $1,250. Buy It Now prices for current listings range between $1,200 and $1,500. The flow has been steady since about six months after general availability of the a7R. Before the a7RII announcement, large lots of a7R bodies were showing up on FM in that price range, too. Given the $3,200 price of the a7RII, I don't expect there will be a mass migration to it immediately. I do expect Sony to offer their usual discounts around the Christmas shopping season. Just my two cents.

Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wish they offered an upgrade discount. I am willing to pay €1700 for the new A7R II plus my old A7r.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, already the A7R works well with the Leica WATE 16-18-21/4 lens. It has problems though with Leica M-lenses primarily in the 21 to 35 even the 50 mm range. But, it works well with Leica R-lenses throughout. For me that covers my needs for manual focus only lenses.

In terms of additional lenses I am interested in native AF ones. That area seems to have improved somewhat and will improve further.

What I found most interesting since the A7R came to market was the discussion about the thickness of the sensor cover glass and its influence. Maybe that issue will get partially addressed with curved sensors down the road.
    I agree and I know that some Leica M lenses well (unintentionally.) I haven't found any SLR lenses that don't work well on any mirrorless platform no matter the format.

To expect that Sony to go out of the way to purposely improve the sensor solely for 3rd party lenses is something I wouldn't base my purchase on. If it gives an improvement to performance for FE lenses then great but if it possibly will compromise performance of FE lenses to make it a better platform for M-mount lenses then I can't see them doing that personally.

That's just my thinking though.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a single Novoflex adapter and have not experienced the issues you describe.
    I bought this rather expensive adapter from Novoflex that is very slim and allows the Nikon lenses to be mounted on Canon bodies. At the time (just over a year ago) there was no direct Nikon to A7R adapter (at least I couldn't find it). hence the dual adapters - Novoflex +Metabones.

Are you quite happy with the Novoflex? Is it this model?
    Too much to list, let's just say I have a bad case of GAS.........

Post Thanks / Like

Have been waiting patiently for several months having sold my A7R thinking it would soon be replaced. Would order/pay today if I could. I've sold off other gear like a Pentax 645 600mm f5.6 in anticipation of this camera, so quite literally "the money is in the bank". Have also acquired the FE 35 1.4 and ordered the FE 90 f2.8 macro in anticipation of this camera. If the specs are any where near accurate, this one far exceeds my wildest hopes. The waiting is painful but exciting.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep View Post
    I bought this rather expensive adapter from Novoflex that is very slim and allows the Nikon lenses to be mounted on Canon bodies. At the time (just over a year ago) there was no direct Nikon to A7R adapter (at least I couldn't find it). hence the dual adapters - Novoflex +Metabones.

Are you quite happy with the Novoflex? Is it this model?

Yes, it looks like that. I find it by searching the B&H site for NOANSNEX.
    I bought it from B&H in November 2013.

I have many different adapters from a number of different makers, too many I would think. I find the Novoflex adapters very expensive but also extremely well made. Those are the ones I prefer to use.

IIRC, there is a little trick when attaching a Nikkor G lens to the adapter. As a G lens by itself is stopped down, make sure the adapter pin is also in the same stopped down position when attaching the lens to the adapter. Then the lens aperture can easily be adjusted by turning the blue ring on the adapter and counting factors of 2 of exposure time changes in the camera viewfinder while keeping the lens pointed at the same spot. Good luck!
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to sit back and watch with interest how others are getting on with the new A7RII.
    I'm particularly interested in seeing how this high resolution sensor with no low pass and back illumination works with the FE glass.

I'm also keen to see Zeiss's further developments in the Loxia and Batis lines but currently am a little underwhelmed by the sample images I've seen from the Batis 85.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what I'm getting from my A7II and more an exercise in self control with regard to technological advancement v's actual need.
    A7II, FE 35, 55 C/Y 18, 28, 85, 100, 28-85

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love my A7II and I shoot it a lot more than either my A7r or A7s (horses for course as they say). If the A7RII is only an A7II with better resolution then I'll be happy and probably retire the A7II as I move to the A7RII for everything.

On the lens front I have the full Sony Zeiss collection and supplement that for landscape work with my Canon TSE lenses. I may even get an Actus for it since the limitation today is simply the lenses, not the sensors.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The current plan is to place the order Wed morning to replace Sandy's A7r. For me I'll wait for 6-months and pick up a gently used one because the first thing I'd do is send it out to be converted to wide spectrum which is exactually what I did with the current 7r.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That'll be the fate of my A7r once the A7RII arrives. The A7II form factor is so much better.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

This is my first post here, although I've lurked for some time. This forum has been a great source of info.

I've shot with Canon for some time now and I have an aging 5dII as my main body. My game plan for switching with lenses is as follows:

17-40L -> sell and get 16-35 FE
    24-105L -> sell and get either 24-70FE or 55mm FE / 85mm Zeiss
    70-300L -> keep for now but possibly later switch to 70-200FE
    24 TS -> keep and use with adapter
    45 TS -> keep and use with adapter
    85 PC (nikon) -> I use this with a nikon-to-canon adapter. Pick up a nikon-to-FE adapter?

I may pick up a small, fast prime for travel/people shots (maybe 35mm f/2.8 FE).

If I didn't upgrade to the A7RII, I'd probably get the 5DSR. In this case I would replace the 17-40L with canon's 16-35 f/4 and likely the 24-105L with 24-70 f/4.

The filter sizes are all different with the new lenses. I'll have to pick up some new adapter rings for my Lee kit and possibly a screw-on circular polarizer.

I'll have to get a new L-bracket. Currently using a gitzo 3541LS tripod with bh-55. Would be nice if I could go 1-step down and use lighter models.

The main question I have is which adapter should I get? Metabones? Commlite? something else? I've seen some various reviews but it's bit hard to quantify the differences (e.g. reliability, build quality, precision, etc.). Also it's not clear what the AF performance will be with the a7rII.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sbay View Post
    The main question I have is which adapter should I get? Metabones? Commlite? something else?
    I'd recommend the Metabones.

But, I'd probably wait a bit, to see if they come up with a newer version of their adapter that's optimized for the new capabilities of the A7Rii.

Post Thanks / Like

My A7Rii plan...I'm waiting until I can get a used one for less than $2500. I'm very happy with my A7R and A7ii.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Don I'm going to be ordering the A7rII also...already have the 2 Batis lenses on order and just ordered the new 35 zeiss 1.4 distagon. Will be selling A7r , my current 35 2.8 and possibly the 55 1.8 also. Sure wish Sony would offer a menu option for compressed lossless RAW tho!! Can't believe Sony adds all this incredible stuff to the A7rII and still offers only lossy RAW! Eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    The current plan is to place the order Wed morning to replace Sandy's A7r. For me I'll wait for 6-months and pick up a gently used one because the first thing I'd do is send it out to be converted to wide spectrum which is exactually what I did with the current 7r.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am not buying any used cams (unless it is a 2nd body). As with the A7s, I will buy my cam at the price I set.

Post Thanks / Like

This is my first post here, although I've lurked for some time. This forum has been a great source of info.

I've shot with Canon for some time now and I have an aging 5dII as my main body. My game plan for switching with lenses is as follows:

85 PC (nikon) -> I use this with a nikon-to-canon adapter. Pick up a nikon-to-FE adapter?

I may pick up a small, fast prime for travel/people shots (maybe 35mm f/2.8 FE).

If I didn't upgrade to the A7RII, I'd probably get the 5DSR. In this case I would replace the 17-40L with canon's 16-35 f/4 and likely the 24-105L with 24-70 f/4.

The filter sizes are all different with the new lenses. I'll have to pick up some new adapter rings for my Lee kit and possibly a screw-on circular polarizer.

I'll have to get a new L-bracket. Currently using a gitzo 3541LS tripod with bh-55. Would be nice if I could go 1-step down and use lighter models.

The main question I have is which adapter should I get? Metabones? Commlite? something else? I've seen some various reviews but it's bit hard to quantify the differences (e.g. reliability, build quality, precision, etc.). Also it's not clear what the AF performance will be with the a7rII.
    Hello sbay:

Yes, this is a very good source of info. You have some very nice equipment. I was wondering if you've already tried out any Sony A7 line cameras. They definitely have some differences from dslr cameras. I think the place where they differ the most is autofocus. I notice you mentioned AF performance. That is the weakest aspect of these mirrorless cameras. Will you be doing work where fast and very accurate AF is crucial?
    If so, I'd humbly recommend renting one before selling off the dslr kit.
    Regards,
    John
    Sony fanboy, shamelessly shilling for "the man" since 2010.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hah
    Just read the details (slow on the uptake here). I'm dying to place a pre-order . . it looks great, but the grown up me knows it has nothing to offer that I really want/need:

1. I don't need 42mp
    2. I know I prefer a rangefinder and manual focus for fast primes
    3. after lots of comparison I know that µ43 is right for me for nature/wildlife/sport/macro
    4. I've sold all my Sony lenses.

So I'll watch all you guys having fun with interest whilst I wait patiently for the OMD E-M1 mark II and the 7-14 Zuiko

all the best from China

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Will get one asap to complement my tech cam - MFDB combo.
    I've already ordered Stephan's Hcam MasterTS v2 to use some Canon and Nikon glass. Then, if the workflow is enjoyable and results are convincing, I'll probably add a Cambo Actus or Arca Universalis as well as some hassy lenses to the mix.
    Last edited by Frederic; 14th June 2015 at 12:32.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jfirneno View Post
    Hello sbay:

Yes, this is a very good source of info. You have some very nice equipment. I was wondering if you've already tried out any Sony A7 line cameras. They definitely have some differences from dslr cameras. I think the place where they differ the most is autofocus. I notice you mentioned AF performance. That is the weakest aspect of these mirrorless cameras. Will you be doing work where fast and very accurate AF is crucial?
    If so, I'd humbly recommend renting one before selling off the dslr kit.
    I've handled an A7 and A6000 briefly but not done are serious testing with them. I'll definitely wait until I'm comfortable with the sony before selling anything (I need it to shoot with and can't go without a full kit). I mention AF on the adapter because I think it will be nice to have but not a requirement.

My AF needs are very low -- mostly I'm shooting static scenes, travel, urban, and street photography. I use live view a lot and 1 frame/sec is fine. The most difficult would be dancers (in say a festival) and there my 5D II is not really up to the task either -- but this is a very small percentage of my photography.

Stephen

Post Thanks / Like

The Sony A7RII spec list is the stuff of dreams. The sensor, the Af, the shutter, the video etc etc. Sony just hit's a lot of want's/needs with this camera.

My plan is to get the A7RII and the metabones adapter and just use my current Canon lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hah
    Just read the details (slow on the uptake here). I'm dying to place a pre-order . . it looks great, but the grown up me knows it has nothing to offer that I really want/need:

1. I don't need 42mp
    2. I know I prefer a rangefinder and manual focus for fast primes
    3. after lots of comparison I know that µ43 is right for me for nature/wildlife/sport/macro
    4. I've sold all my Sony lenses.

So I'll watch all you guys having fun with interest whilst I wait patiently for the OMD E-M1 mark II and the 7-14 Zuiko

all the best from China
    Nicely Said Jono. There are some better FE lenses being released all the time, but then, it is debatable whether they can compete against the m43 range of lenses. There is just so much choice when it comes to m43.

For some, the 42Mp can come in handy for post cropping landscapes shots while maintaining excellent detail. Also for landscapes, it seems one can never have too much resolution.

I too am enjoying my E-M1. Like you said, when it comes to wildlife, and closeup macros, the performance and size of lenses for m43 hard to beat

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, Canons 16-35 f4L IS USM is a very nice work lens. The Sony 16-35 is no slouch, but when it comes to wide open performance over the frame, the Canon wins hands down. I would happily use this lens on an A7 body .

With regards to adapters, Metabones is meant to be the "best" as it costs the most, but recently, the quality control of the Metabones smart adapters have not been as good as it was with the older generation adapters, where people have written horror stories of the adapter damaging their Canon L mounts, and bad electronic connections, to alignment issues.

Another brand you should consider is the Kipon Smart adapters. There seems to be newer models that have very promising features.

Post Thanks / Like

Are there any good samples of the A7r II about apart from whats on Sony's site?

These are the only ones I've seen - Sony Global - Photo Gallery
    They tell you nothing really.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Are there any good samples of the A7r II about apart from whats on Sony's site?

These are the only ones I've seen - Sony Global - Photo Gallery
    They tell you nothing really.
    You mean they're not hi-res enough? This link has similar pictures but much higher res.

http://qicai.fengniao.com/525/5256025.html

This one is full res:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stojap...posted-public/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    Hmm, Canons 16-35 f4L IS USM is a very nice work lens. The Sony 16-35 is no slouch, but when it comes to wide open performance over the frame, the Canon wins hands down. I would happily use this lens on an A7 body .
    The canon gets great reviews but I think the difference is not enough to make me want to fuddle with an adapter.

Another brand you should consider is the Kipon Smart adapters. There seems to be newer models that have very promising features.
    Thanks I will check them out.

Now I'm digging through the accessories that I will need. It turns out that there are at least 3 different remote releases that I could use: RM-VPR1, RMT-DSLR2, RMT-VP1K.

Also is there a dual battery charger that's recommended?
    Stephen Bay
    bayimages.net

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The canon gets great reviews but I think the difference is not enough to make me want to fuddle with an adapter.

Thanks I will check them out.

Now I'm digging through the accessories that I will need. It turns out that there are at least 3 different remote releases that I could use: RM-VPR1, RMT-DSLR2, RMT-VP1K.

Also is there a dual battery charger that's recommended?
    I believe many here use the Watson Dual Charger. As for remotes I use the phone apps for Sony Playmemories, Capture Pilot, or a have the DSLR2 remote as well.

Post Thanks / Like

i feel the A7rII (and the yet-to-come sony cameras) is heavily geared towards videographer. on paper 4X MP is less than 5X MP from canon, and to certain extend feels rather odd (36MP FF has the same pixel density as 15-16MP APS-C, 54MP has the same pixel density as 20 MP in APS-C. i.e. manufacturing process is more or less in place. 4XMP is a weird one because APS-C eqv pixel density doesnt quite exist before and why bother stop at 4X if a sensor is designed from grounds up?) but yet if you start from a videographer point of view, it makes alot of sense.

Canon pretty much ditched the wannabe-pro videographers when they locked away some of the video features with 5D3 and now restricting the use of ML hack. Canon is thinking if they do this then they can force people to fork out more money to get their Cx line. But of course Sony saw this potential honey pot with the unexpectedly high A7s demand, as such this market becomes the design basis for Sony. And of course the videograph community has been screaming for something that is in Super 35mm for some time. the closest you get is the A6000 with its APS-C sensor, but that still hasnt quite have that the s35 look.

One key feature for A7rII that results in this weird 4X MP is the super 35mm native 4K mode with internal recording. 4K resolution with super 35mm format pretty much dictates the pixel density, so scale that to 35mm FF, then there you have the strange 4X MP sensor.

I feel this may be the the direction Sony is now heading, see all the de-click features on Loxia and 35mm F1.4; and now the A7rII, RX10ii etc. while i think it's good that they are investing in these, im not sure if i want to pay a premium for these features that i rarely use as a still photographer, worse yet, i dont want to carry all these additional weight when i go onto weight-sensitivity trips.

disclaimer: i haven't read any of the replies above yet.

EDIT: I will probably still end up getting it, but need to wait for it come down in price rather than jump straight in like i did with the A7r.
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I believe many here use the Watson Dual Charger. As for remotes I use the phone apps for Sony Playmemories, Capture Pilot, or a have the DSLR2 remote as well.
    There is also a free app in the Camera App Store(!) to allow you to use the EVF eye sensor as a release. I have used it to great effect. Yes, the Watson dual charger is the way to go.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay some good news. Just read this on SAR

And one of our readers tested the A7rii with metabones and the Canon ef 35 1.4L:

I have to say that performance was really amazing!! it really seems like you’re using canon lens on its native camera.

Guy:
    This is HUGE

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post

And one of our readers tested the A7rii with metabones and the Canon ef 35 1.4L:

I have to say that performance was really amazing!! it really seems like you’re using canon lens on its native camera.

Guy:
    This is HUGE
    I just wanna know what happens in low light levels; this is where sensor-PDAF traditionally starts to lose ground vs. mirror-PDAF. The more CDAF is needed for lock, the more DSLR lenses will slow down.

The new backlit system with "short/shallow in-sensor light path" could potentially increase the sensor-PDAF sensitivity too. Let's hope it does, a lot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post

Guy:
    This is HUGE
    Yes, and Brian Smith swore to me the A7r would shoot the ZM18 sharp to the edges. LOL

The new sensor may indeed be better with film wides, but I would not base my expectations on a random quote with no images.

Initial reports about the Leica Q had many thinking the camera was at the 28 cron level of performance. It's not.

We will not know the truth till we see some serious test shots.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A better alternative for that (UW) is the 10-18 f4zoom. I bought one (based on an authoritative recommendation) and returned it after 4 snaps. I guess there are real differences between a rank amateur and an "artisan".

Post Thanks / Like

Game plan? No game plan here as long as my a900 still has life left in it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd need the following:

1- Sony A7RII
    1- Sony grip for said A7RII
    1- Zeiss Batis 25
    1- Sony FE 35/1.4
    1- Sony FE 55
    1- Zeiss Batis 85
    1- Sony FE 70-200
    1- custom Guy Mancuso ski mask

www.douglaswoodphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Based on past experience, my game plan will be to buy lots of stuff then never use it. So yes, the A7rII will probably be added to my contingent of rarely used stuff that looks great on paper but which I don't really need and probably won't use much.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dwood View Post
    I'd need the following:

1- Sony A7RII
    1- Sony grip for said A7RII
    1- Zeiss Batis 25
    1- Sony FE 35/1.4
    1- Sony FE 55
    1- Zeiss Batis 85
    1- Sony FE 70-200
    1- custom Guy Mancuso ski mask

My List

1- Sony A7RII NEED
    1- Sony grip for said A7RII HAVE
    1- Zeiss Batis 25 NEED
    1- Sony FE 35/1.4 HAVE
    1- Sony FE 55 HAVE 50 LOxia
    1- Zeiss Batis 85 NEED
    1- Sony FE 70-200 Minolta 200mm
    1- custom Guy Mancuso ski mask. Rental FEE 3200. LOL