Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: A7RII game plan

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: A7RII game plan

I have been wondering why and how I can dismiss any urge to buy the A7R II.
    It ticks all the boxes.

First BSI large sensor with all the trimmings (shutter included).

Here is why. Whatever I have is on par with whatever else (any brand) is out there. Nothing to worry about.

Disruptive technology has found its limits.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I have been wondering why and how I can dismiss any urge to buy the A7R II.
    It ticks all the boxes.

First BSI large sensor with all the trimmings (shutter included).

Here is why. Whatever I have is on par with whatever else (any brand) is out there. Nothing to worry about.

Disruptive technology has found its limits.
    Of course, if it is "just" about taking better photographs, I bet what you have now is on a par with what you had 7 or 8 years ago. Maybe more. However, we all get caught up in it because it is easier to buy new equipment than it is to actually make better photographs.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No I have a need for a fixed A7r . Its just that simple for me. Plus a lot of bonus stuff. I can't wait any longer i want it now. I wish this was a impulse buy, I could put it off awhile. NOT
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Of course, if it is "just" about taking better photographs, I bet what you have now is on a par with what you had 7 or 8 years ago. Maybe more. However, we all get caught up in it because it is easier to buy new equipment than it is to actually make better photographs.
    Yes. There is a paradigm shift in the perception (in me). Gear is irrelevant.

Post Thanks / Like

I have only one body right now, and this A7RII would complement nicely to my A7s as the hi-res companion. Not that I need a hi-res cam, but a second body would make sense. And I don't see myself getting another body for another 3-5 years .

Post Thanks / Like

The A7II hit a sweet spot for me and I my just go with another one ... For my work I found the Nikon D810 bogged down my Photomechanic CS6 (NIK plugs) work flow, the 24mp are super quick. I'm interested in what happens with a possible A7sII as well. Sony- If your looking in I want a FE300f4

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't resist. Bunch of Leica M lenses off to B&H. Order will be in for the A7RII.

First lens will be the Sony Distagon T FE 35mm F/1.4. If all is as good as I hope, my bunch of micro 4/3 gear will go bye-bye. The D4s & company will never go.

I feel like a damned kid!
    Stephen

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 35mm 1.4 will just spoil ya. Maybe the best 35mm I ever owned and i owned them all trust me. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, I am with you on this one. I too had to sell all of my medium format equipment. I am looking for a half replacement with this camera to shoot panoramas and this camera definitely looks promising. Probably taking your lead and going for the A7RII with the Canon 24 TSE. I used the 17TSE but it seemed to have quite a bit of distortion in the corners. Was this your experience?

Mark

Mark Benson Reeder Fine Art Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 17mm TDSE was nice bad part there really are no set corrections for it because of the Shift and Tilt. The 24 TSE the 35 1.4 are best in class. You can't go wrong. Looking like the Batis 25 to and maybe the 85 have to see.

My 16-35 was a whisker from the 17mm TSE. Yea I have a nice copy on the wide side

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great info. I still dream of a true panoramic digital sensor/camera. In the mean time, I wouldn't mind a few FE tilt shift lenses. I wonder if that is even a thought for Sony.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony should sell these cameras as subscriptions. They could even include an app that automatically posts the same good reasons for why an upgrade is urgent an necessary on relevant forums in the name of all subscribers
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markymarkrb View Post
    Great info. I still dream of a true panoramic digital sensor/camera. In the mean time, I wouldn't mind a few FE tilt shift lenses. I wonder if that is even a thought for Sony.
    interestingly there is a chinese company that is developing a FF 15mm shift (may have tilt in final version), but it's still in development last time i looked at it. i think it cost similar to samyang 24mm TS.
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sold I actually sold Nikon 800e already and the lenses are going too. The reason I always wanted 2 bodies but Nikon kit with 2 bodies and lenses is very heavy for landscape/travel work.

So... I'm going after A7r II and wide angle lenses first, then some mid-range. Batis 25 first but can't decide for others yet.

As a side note, one of the reasons why I'd go for a switch is my a6000 which I use for everyday shots. AF is great - fast and pretty accurate! (the battery is weak though).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Sony should sell these cameras as subscriptions. They could even include an app that automatically posts the same good reasons for why an upgrade is urgent an necessary on relevant forums in the name of all subscribers
    Brilliant!

I will sign up for a lease plan as long as it involves only the cameras.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Based on past experience, my game plan will be to buy lots of stuff then never use it. So yes, the A7rII will probably be added to my contingent of rarely used stuff that looks great on paper but which I don't really need and probably won't use much.
    That's called "man jewelry". Looks great on the shelf, too.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    The 35mm 1.4 will just spoil ya. Maybe the best 35mm I ever owned and i owned them all trust me. LOL
    Just ordered one. Probably should have waited for you to sell yours at the "Mancuso discount".

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not happening. Maybe the best lens yet

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Brilliant!

I will sign up for a lease plan as long as it involves only the cameras.
    You don't want the blue Zeiss sticker that comes with the lens subscription

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am working on that (blue label), studying the world map, to find the place that would hand craft it for me for the least amount of euro cents (must add that there will be no compromise in standards- the ones to be set by me that is). So, no.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Glad to hear this Guy. As I sit typing this I'm waiting for a knock on my door with this lens delivery, for my future A7rII! Can't wait to try it out on my current A7r! Eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The lens hood is a little stupid but I think all of them are which are supplied. I use metal screw in hoods off ebay that are cheap0 and no front lens caps. Been doing this for years and never damaged a front element. Yea I still use canned air too on my sensors. I live in the wild wild west. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From an interview posted on SAR:

5) Uncompressed RAW: Sony RAW is compressed, not uncompressed. But if we’re getting a lot of requests for it, we should make such a kind of no-compression raw. We recognize the customer’s requirement, and actually we are working on it. And yes Sony could provide that via simple firmware upgrade!

Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would want and like to have it for my A7/A7r/A7s.
    (Also for my NEx5N, 6&7)
    Hurry up!

Post Thanks / Like

hmm, does the nex5n, 6 and 7 use the lossy compression though? Correct me if I am wrong but I suspect those models may use a different compression algorithm since it captures 12 bit and not 14bit like the a7 series cameras.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    hmm, does the nex5n, 6 and 7 use the lossy compression though? Correct me if I am wrong but I suspect those models may use a different compression algorithm since it captures 12 bit and not 14bit like the a7 series cameras.
    I am beginning to suspect that it is not the lossy that may be the culprit in most cases (jaggies, for example). It could be the dichroic dust shaker that is in place.

Post Thanks / Like

I expect the A7R ii will fully replace my D800.

If I can convince myself that my Samsung NX1 is adequate to do the job of my D4 then I can finally get down to 2 systems by selling off all my Nikon gear.

With both Sony and Samsung doing great stills and video and with Sony having a teriffic lens selection and Samsung going 15fps I think I will have it covered.

The only Nikon I would have left is the fun AW1 for casual water sports imagery.

-Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I will wait and see before deciding if the A7RII can replace my D800e-- for me it is about the shutter lag problem. I know this is improved, but the A7r was so bad that a small improvement would not be enough.

However, so far it doesn't look like A7rII can replace Hasselblad H3DII-39, because there do not seem to be any leaf shutter lenses available for FE mount (does anyone know of one?). I live in a sunny area (Las Vegas), and outdoor pictures of people are horrible without strong fill-flash and ND filters are a pain.

==Doug

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglaspboyd View Post
    I will wait and see before deciding if the A7RII can replace my D800e-- for me it is about the shutter lag problem. I know this is improved, but the A7r was so bad that a small improvement would not be enough.

However, so far it doesn't look like A7rII can replace Hasselblad H3DII-39, because there do not seem to be any leaf shutter lenses available for FE mount (does anyone know of one?). I live in a sunny area (Las Vegas), and outdoor pictures of people are horrible without strong fill-flash and ND filters are a pain.

==Doug
    Maybe Phottix Indra 500 TTL with HSS would help once the Sony line is available?
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Maybe Phottix Indra 500 TTL with HSS would help once the Sony line is available?
    Yes, this will work. My workaround has been to use a similar flash, Flashpoint 620M which is held by an assistant. However, I have been looking for a more portable solution.

I also tried Sony RX100II and RX10 but you can't see the screen in bright sunlight. I considered RX1, but when you mount a flash in the hot shoe, you loose the accessory viewfinder, and again of course the rear screen is not visible. I had been using Nikon 70s which is fine for 12"x18" prints, but I am now standarized on 20"x30" prints. Hasselblad H with 1/800th sync works for me at the moment. Phase One with 1/1600 sync would be even better, but gets expensive.

==Doug

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the backlit sensor thing (i could live without that sensor shaker. One thing that can have problems and decenter everything. Me not like).

If the price is ok and it is available in my hands until August 25 i might get one. I will stick with my a7r lenses and might sell the "old" R

Post Thanks / Like

I am beginning to suspect that it is not the lossy that may be the culprit in most cases (jaggies, for example). It could be the dichroic dust shaker that is in place.
    really, thought the dust shaker only powers on when once during a photo session? Does it engage beteen or within an exposure?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

A7rII has Electronic First Shutter Curtain. On the A7r the shutter needs to be closed before each exposure. The main reason I skipped the A7r.

With the A7rII the shutter doesn't close before exposure and reaction time can be very short and also without any vibration. Closing the second curtain will cause vibrations but those vibration will have little effect on exposure.

I neither had the A7 nor the A7r, so I have no practical experience. I have the A99 which also has EFSC, it is silent and vibration free, regarding shutter delay I cannot really say.

Best regards
    Erik

==Doug

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Yes, this will work. My workaround has been to use a similar flash, Flashpoint 620M which is held by an assistant. However, I have been looking for a more portable solution.
    ==Doug
    The Indra 500 TTL light isn't the issue. It's the Odin II for Sony which is still MIA. The Indra can be controlled by the Odin with TTL.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    The Indra 500 TTL light isn't the issue. It's the Odin II for Sony which is still MIA. The Indra can be controlled by the Odin with TTL.
    Yeah you're correct but the strobe needs extra parts (Stratos I believe) to trigger the light with just the Odin II. Once Phottix releases a Sony compatible version then it will operate exactly the same as the Canon and Nikon compatible version.

The Phottix Strobe has both Canon and Nikon radios internal to the strobe so they just work out the box with the Odin II.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mazor View Post
    really, thought the dust shaker only powers on when once during a photo session? Does it engage beteen or within an exposure?
    I did not mean the ultrasonic related stuff of the dust shaker (it isn't active at all during exposures) but the dichroic coatings it has. That is a bit superfluous as the other layers of epoxied glass beneath it do that job (ie., cut UV and IR).

Post Thanks / Like

My plan is to get the a7rII, but not right away. I'm having too much damn fun with the (old) Monochrom lately.

I really wanted to be able to use the same lenses for both (28 Sumarit, APO 50, 90 cron), but I will Probably get a 25 Batis unless this new camera is significantly better with RF wides. Not sure about the 35. Too big for my taste.

I don't know about selling the a7r. I might keep it for others to use on workshops, etc; depends on the market.

Dave
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

This camera is the camera Iīve always wanted Sony to launch...minus the price Too bad it wasnīt announced 6 moth ago so I wouldnīt have sold all my Sony gear for Nikon...now Iīll probably do the reverse (too bad Nikon glass doesnīt work like Canon EOS on the A7RII with full AF). I might try to trade my Nikon stuff for Canon if itīs easier and just stick with Canon glass on the A7RII.

What I reaaally miss about the Sony system is the fast and silent AF on video and most of all the EVF. I had no idea I would miss this so much.
    What made me consider come back to Sony: Finally a FF with really fast AF, full AF speed with Canon glass (I can migrate to Sony without having to spend a fortune on FE glass), IBIS, a bunch of new cool video stuff, 4K (I do video and even though clients donīt really know the benefits of 4K, if someone else can offer it they will be one step ahead of you)

To be honest, if the A7RII wasnīt so expensive I would probably sell all my Nikon gear and get 2 of them with Canon lenses. But since itīs not Iīll probably end up with a 6D and the A7RII (unless Sony comes up with a more affordable model)

Iīm actually REALLY surprised that Sony would allow Canon lenses to fully use itīs AF system as this may mean MANY PEOPLE will simply use Canon glass...itīs less expensive and high quality. I really hope all future Sony cameras will allow this though. Itīs a MASSIVE game changer for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Iīm actually REALLY surprised that Sony would allow Canon lenses to fully use itīs AF system as this may mean MANY PEOPLE will simply use Canon glass...itīs less expensive and high quality. I really hope all future Sony cameras will allow this though. Itīs a MASSIVE game changer for me.
    Some AF features/modes are not available with non-FE glass, like the Expand Flex Spot, Lock-on AF and if I'm not mistaken the Eye AF. Shown in the end of this vid and discussed in video description

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp8k0Tpo0y4

The other thing is that we really do not know how the Canon glass works in real world in more challenging conditions: indoor light / tracking etc. Even with native glass there are challenges and 3rd party lenses will not improve things: the lens designs/focus motors are just not optimal for sensor focus. So where the sensor-focus will struggle with the native glass, the adapted glass will struggle even more.

Post Thanks / Like

This camera is the camera Iīve always wanted Sony to launch...minus the price Too bad it wasnīt announced 6 moth ago so I wouldnīt have sold all my Sony gear for Nikon...now Iīll probably do the reverse (too bad Nikon glass doesnīt work like Canon EOS on the A7RII with full AF). I might try to trade my Nikon stuff for Canon if itīs easier and just stick with Canon glass on the A7RII.
    Hello Rawfa:

Even though each generation of A7 cameras is more capable than the last, I think you must remember that autofocus on mirrorless cameras is still not mature. Please wait for this camera to hit the mainstream audience before assuming the AF is as good as advertised. I love my A7S but I know its limitations. For a wedding shooter these limitations can be critical.
    Regards,
    John
    Sony fanboy, shamelessly shilling for "the man" since 2010.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

hmm just came across this hong kong blog by Li Sam . interestingly the colour shift issues is reduced with ranger finder lens. even on the 16mm contax G and voigtlander 15mm mk1:

http://smallphotocircle.blogspot.hk/...ny-a7r-ii.html

does that put the ZM line back onto the table and is Loxia in any danger?
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jfirneno View Post
    Hello Rawfa:

Even though each generation of A7 cameras is more capable than the last, I think you must remember that autofocus on mirrorless cameras is still not mature. Please wait for this camera to hit the mainstream audience before assuming the AF is as good as advertised. I love my A7S but I know its limitations. For a wedding shooter these limitations can be critical.
    Absolutely! It took me forever to unload all my Sony gear and I donīt plan to make any rash decisions...nothing wrong in migrating to Canon in the meanwhile so that when the time comes at least I will be able to test the Sony camera with Canon lenses without making any further commitments...though I imagine the A6000 has set the benchmark for Sony AF wise and all new cameras should logicaly have an equaly good or better AF system.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

guy are u selling your a7rii?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm selling my A7II once I get the new A7rII but that's the end of August by than it will have 30k activations lol

Post Thanks / Like

AF on Canon lenses will vary a lot from lens to lens.

Check this out...not that hot at all.

Post Thanks / Like

And another one

Post Thanks / Like

After going back and forth on this body, I decided to go in. I had the a7 with the 28-70, 35, and 55 last year. Really enjoyed it, but decided at that point it wasn't mature enough and had a lot of quirks that I couldn't get used to (shutter button odd place, the whole shutter sound, shutter lag, etc). Passed on the a7r, a7s, and the a7ii. Went back and forth between a m4/3 setup (E-M1 with 9 Olympus Pro/Premium lenses) and then where I am now with the D810, 24-120, and 50/85 primes. Really love the IQ, handling, responsiveness of the 810, not loving the clunky LV for video, the weight, and size. I was overlooking the weight/size of th body despite having a 2 yr old to chase after, but these last few weeks I've been shooting less and less because she's getting more active and I have a 2nd on the way, literally tomorrow is her due date.

In between I had the a6000 which I liked due to the size, the green blinkies for the AF, and the whole shooting in LV was quick. Didn't like the missed focus on occasion and didn't like the step back to crop after shooting FF. the a7rii is literally everything I'm looking for in a camera body. High MP, great AF spread, eye AF, 4k, ibis, etc. Sure the price is high, but so are my wife's designer handbags.

I'm looking at a 28/55/85, 24-70 setup for now. I like the 28 view after shooting with a GR for a number of years and the 25 Batis is a little pricey for not my preferred focal length. I didn't love or hate the 35 2.8 when I had it so I'll pass on it. I really liked the 55 and I like shooting the 50 length. 85 is a must for me since I'll be shooting pictures of my two daughters often. And the 24-70 I never had but I need a standard zoom and if center sharpness is good, then I don't care too much about mushy corners. After that I'll decide whether I want to do UWA in the 16-35 (probably not), whether I want a fast prime in the 35 1.4 (which I may, especially after reading Guy love it so much), or the 90 macro (probably not since I'm not a huge macro guy and the 85 Batis will probably be better for me, plus if anything I'll slap on an tube or two).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JYPfoto View Post
    After going back and forth on this body, I decided to go in. I had the a7 with the 28-70, 35, and 55 last year. Really enjoyed it, but decided at that point it wasn't mature enough and had a lot of quirks that I couldn't get used to (shutter button odd place, the whole shutter sound, shutter lag, etc). Passed on the a7r, a7s, and the a7ii. Went back and forth between a m4/3 setup (E-M1 with 9 Olympus Pro/Premium lenses) and then where I am now with the D810, 24-120, and 50/85 primes. Really love the IQ, handling, responsiveness of the 810, not loving the clunky LV for video, the weight, and size. I was overlooking the weight/size of th body despite having a 2 yr old to chase after, but these last few weeks I've been shooting less and less because she's getting more active and I have a 2nd on the way, literally tomorrow is her due date.

In between I had the a6000 which I liked due to the size, the green blinkies for the AF, and the whole shooting in LV was quick. Didn't like the missed focus on occasion and didn't like the step back to crop after shooting FF. the a7rii is literally everything I'm looking for in a camera body. High MP, great AF spread, eye AF, 4k, ibis, etc. Sure the price is high, but so are my wife's designer handbags.

I'm looking at a 28/55/85, 24-70 setup for now. I like the 28 view after shooting with a GR for a number of years and the 25 Batis is a little pricey for not my preferred focal length. I didn't love or hate the 35 2.8 when I had it so I'll pass on it. I really liked the 55 and I like shooting the 50 length. 85 is a must for me since I'll be shooting pictures of my two daughters often. And the 24-70 I never had but I need a standard zoom and if center sharpness is good, then I don't care too much about mushy corners. After that I'll decide whether I want to do UWA in the 16-35 (probably not), whether I want a fast prime in the 35 1.4 (which I may, especially after reading Guy love it so much), or the 90 macro (probably not since I'm not a huge macro guy and the 85 Batis will probably be better for me, plus if anything I'll slap on an tube or two).
    When it comes to quality the 16-35 is worlds better than the 24-70. Think of the 24-70 as a 28-65 and then it doesn't look like quite a great value compared to the primes available in that range that are very good to excellent (28FE, 35 Distagon, both Loxia lenses, and the 55FE.) that's not counting the excellent (from what I've seen and read) Batis lenses or the very good 70-200FE.

If you need speed then it may be worth looking into the 25 Batis but if you want wide most say that the 16-35 is optimized for 16-28 or so. The 55 is a no brainier IMO. It's a toss up between the 85 Batis and the 90 Macro but I'd give the edge to the 85 from what I've seen as a pure portrait lens. Naturally you have the benefit and trade off of gaining macro for losing speed but either lens looks to be exceptional.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

What I reaaally miss about the Sony system is the fast and silent AF on video and most of all the EVF. I had no idea I would miss this so much.
    What made me consider come back to Sony: Finally a FF with really fast AF, full AF speed with Canon glass (I can migrate to Sony without having to spend a fortune on FE glass), IBIS, a bunch of new cool video stuff, 4K (I do video and even though clients donīt really know the benefits of 4K, if someone else can offer it they will be one step ahead of you)

To be honest, if the A7RII wasnīt so expensive I would probably sell all my Nikon gear and get 2 of them with Canon lenses. But since itīs not Iīll probably end up with a 6D and the A7RII (unless Sony comes up with a more affordable model)

Personally I'd hold off on switching systems from Nikon to Canon. One it'll probably cost you extra money you may not need to spend and two it's only a matter of time before someone produces a Nikon F mount compatible AF adapter. Unless you really don't like the glass you have then I'd wait and put the extra money into FE lenses. There are some gems now from the Batis, Loxia, 28FE, 35 Distagon, 55FE, 90 Macro, etc.

Just my opinion though.