Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: A7RII game plan

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: A7RII game plan

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    This camera is the camera I´ve always wanted Sony to launch...minus the price Too bad it wasn´t announced 6 moth ago so I wouldn´t have sold all my Sony gear for Nikon...now I´ll probably do the reverse (too bad Nikon glass doesn´t work like Canon EOS on the A7RII with full AF).
    Think long term instead of system hopping.
    There is an adapter coming up to do AF of NIkon glass on E mount cams. I would still dump the Nikon stuff for Sony.

At a recent wedding, the pros had canon Gera with a sigma ART 35, some canon fast zooms. One had a D4s with a VR zoom. I used an A7s with a 40/1.7(yashinon) and APOSummicron 75/2. The younger pros were total camera geeks and brought their own A7s one day and were just amazed with the manual focus glass on the A7s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    When it comes to quality the 16-35 is worlds better than the 24-70. Think of the 24-70 as a 28-65 and then it doesn't look like quite a great value compared to the primes available in that range that are very good to excellent (28FE, 35 Distagon, both Loxia lenses, and the 55FE.) that's not counting the excellent (from what I've seen and read) Batis lenses or the very good 70-200FE.

If you need speed then it may be worth looking into the 25 Batis but if you want wide most say that the 16-35 is optimized for 16-28 or so. The 55 is a no brainier IMO. It's a toss up between the 85 Batis and the 90 Macro but I'd give the edge to the 85 from what I've seen as a pure portrait lens. Naturally you have the benefit and trade off of gaining macro for losing speed but either lens looks to be exceptional.
    Pretty much agree everything here. 16-35 is stellar at 16 mm and very good up to 28 mm; the zoom compromize (that is pretty much always gonna be there) is exactly where it should be, at 30-35 mm. 24-70 has compromizes at both extremes and to me that is no fun. I have the 16-35, 35/2.8, 55/1.8 and 70-200. And 90/2.8 and Batis 85 coming soon, but then agqin I'm a diagnosed gear-horder.

As for 90/2.8 vs. Batis 85 for anything else but Macro I'd likely take Batis even though I have not tested it yet. Smaller and more than stop of light etc. The Macro is very nice (sharp as tack from wide open and MF feel if very very good, like MF Zeiss good and I'm nailing focus with peaking only), but that "Macro" comes with compromizes in addition to size: it is pretty slow-focusing on my A7R even in decent light and that more than stop of light in Batis 85 will help indoor AF sensitivity too.

Post Thanks / Like

When it comes to quality the 16-35 is worlds better than the 24-70. Think of the 24-70 as a 28-65 and then it doesn't look like quite a great value compared to the primes available in that range that are very good to excellent (28FE, 35 Distagon, both Loxia lenses, and the 55FE.) that's not counting the excellent (from what I've seen and read) Batis lenses or the very good 70-200FE.

If you need speed then it may be worth looking into the 25 Batis but if you want wide most say that the 16-35 is optimized for 16-28 or so. The 55 is a no brainier IMO. It's a toss up between the 85 Batis and the 90 Macro but I'd give the edge to the 85 from what I've seen as a pure portrait lens. Naturally you have the benefit and trade off of gaining macro for losing speed but either lens looks to be exceptional.
    Yeah, I just like shooting with a standard zoom and I'm worried that I'll be disappointed when comparing to a 24-70 2.8 like the Canon version II or the Nikon. I'm using the 24-120 now and it's a decent performer but a little soft and I'm used to using my 50 and 85 primes most of the time. So I'll get the 28/55 to start and add the 85 Batis. I would hold off on the 24-70 if I had rumblings of a 2.8 or a Mark II version of the f/4. I certainly won't pay $1,100 for it, but if I stumble upon a $600-700 version I may just get it to hold me over.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JYPfoto View Post
    Yeah, I just like shooting with a standard zoom and I'm worried that I'll be disappointed when comparing to a 24-70 2.8 like the Canon version II or the Nikon. I'm using the 24-120 now and it's a decent performer but a little soft and I'm used to using my 50 and 85 primes most of the time. So I'll get the 28/55 to start and add the 85 Batis. I would hold off on the 24-70 if I had rumblings of a 2.8 or a Mark II version of the f/4. I certainly won't pay $1,100 for it, but if I stumble upon a $600-700 version I may just get it to hold me over.
    I agree and I don't mean to say that the 24-70 is horrible because it's not. It's a capable lens but one that is price $3-500 too high IMO. I paid a little less than retail for my new copy last March and I was still somewhat disappointed in it when compared to the standard kit zoom that I've tried in store. My motivation in buying the 24-70 was having a native wide lens but the lens gets noticeably better from 26-28 and stays pretty consistently good until 65mm-ish where it starts to drop off a bit.

To be honest (and it's just my opinion) I think Canon has the best 24-70 and probably the second best 70-200 after the Sony A-mount 70-200 (mkII version.) I think the 16-35 is a bit better than the Sony one in pure sharpness but I'd go with the Sony version because it's optimized for the UWA end. Thankfully there are plenty of great choices in primes in the middle range so that why the 24-70 became more expendable for me personally.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

For my type of shooting I guess 32GB or perhaps 64GB is sufficient, but choosing the right type seems to me a tricky exercise as there is an abundance of formats available nowadays.
    SDHC/XS Class-10, UHS-1, UHS-2, UHS-3 with speeds ranging from 600x (90 MB/s) up to 2000x (300 MB/s) and with camera manufacturers not very helpful I can't deny feeling a bit puzzled.
    Needless to say I like a fast reliable card ...

Link to SD Association: Speed class

So guys, what's the game plan for your A7RII memory card ?

Last edited by Knorp; 12th July 2015 at 03:24. Reason: Link to SD Association
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

I've ended up selling my D600 and trading my D750 for a D610 plus enough cash to almost cover what I've invested on a FE 55mm 1.8 and a 28mm 2.0. Even if I end up not linking the A7RII these 2 lenses are awesome on the A6000 (around and 80mm and my favorite FOV...around a 40mm). Although I'm just drooling over the 90mm 2.8 macro

Personally I'd hold off on switching systems from Nikon to Canon. One it'll probably cost you extra money you may not need to spend and two it's only a matter of time before someone produces a Nikon F mount compatible AF adapter. Unless you really don't like the glass you have then I'd wait and put the extra money into FE lenses. There are some gems now from the Batis, Loxia, 28FE, 35 Distagon, 55FE, 90 Macro, etc.

Just my opinion though.

Post Thanks / Like

Vivek said:

"There is an adapter coming up to do AF of NIkon glass on E mount cams. I would still dump the Nikon stuff for Sony."

That would be great, as I use an A7R and Nikon D800E. I have far more Nikon lenses, including several Zeiss lenses, so a "smart" Nikon adapter would be a welcome addition, to say the least. I would be in the front of the line to get one.
    Dave in NJ

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Another sixteen days to wait here in Paris.
    An eternity...

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a latter update at SAR:
    http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/
    Looks like it may be coming soon, just in time to use with the new A7RII?
    Dave in NJ

Post Thanks / Like

Sony Store USA will ship 8/4/15

Post Thanks / Like

Well, my extra batteries and grip shipped from Sony today and I just ordered a 16-35 FE f4 to use on the a7rII along with my legacy Contax G glass. I am hoping this body handles the CG28 better than the previous bodies as since my NEX7 I have had the 35mm, 28mm, and 21mm in my Contax G2 kit to be used with that film body instead of my digital bodies. The 45mm and 90mm have been my mainstay CG glass for my digitals since the NEX5. This a7rII for me will replace my NEX7 as my hike in scenic camera system so the 16-35mm, the 45mmCG, and the 90mmCG should have me covered. If the 35mmCG and 28mmCG work without smearing and color shifts I will be sitting on high cotton . To really push my luck if the 21mmCG works I will be a very happy camper but I don't really think these 3 lenses will work without some smearing and color shifting

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What are people's guesses on the A7RII IQ vs the Pentax 645Z?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    Well, my extra batteries and grip shipped from Sony today and I just ordered a 16-35 FE f4 to use on the a7rII along with my legacy Contax G glass. I am hoping this body handles the CG28 better than the previous bodies as since my NEX7 I have had the 35mm, 28mm, and 21mm in my Contax G2 kit to be used with that film body instead of my digital bodies. The 45mm and 90mm have been my mainstay CG glass for my digitals since the NEX5. This a7rII for me will replace my NEX7 as my hike in scenic camera system so the 16-35mm, the 45mmCG, and the 90mmCG should have me covered. If the 35mmCG and 28mmCG work without smearing and color shifts I will be sitting on high cotton . To really push my luck if the 21mmCG works I will be a very happy camper but I don't really think these 3 lenses will work without some smearing and color shifting
    I'm also looking forward to the CG lenses (I just have the 45/2 and 90/2.8 left) on the a7RII. Very curious how the TechArt adapter will play with the new body.

I wouldn't hold your breath on the 35 and 28 losing their smear but miracles do happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by markymarkrb View Post
    It will not come close to the 645Z since the Z has larger photo sites which makes a 51MP FF 35mm camera not as good as the Z for most purposes. I am not talking about internet postings here of course as the print is my gauge of good or not so good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Show Performance View Post
    I'm also looking forward to the CG lenses (I just have the 45/2 and 90/2.8 left) on the a7RII. Very curious how the TechArt adapter will play with the new body.

I wouldn't hold your breath on the 35 and 28 losing their smear but miracles do happen.
    SP if we are hoping for miracles I say please let the CG21 work as it is IMHO the best glass in the CG system as I have owned all of them except the 16mm

Post Thanks / Like

What is the estimated shipping date for the A7RII these days?

Post Thanks / Like

From the Sony Store USA 8/5/15

Read Europe and Canada is claiming 7/28/15

Haven't heard much else.. The Sony Store one I paid the most attention to because that is where I ordered.

Post Thanks / Like

SP if we are hoping for miracles I say please let the CG21 work as it is IMHO the best glass in the CG system as I have owned all of them except the 16mm
    Having shot both the G28 and G21 on a modded A7s, they smeared about the same. In fact, I think the G21 behaves a bit better and it's definitely more manageable due to more DOF.

For now, I have very high hope for the A7RII to cope well with these lenses. There is a couple of test shots with the Hologon 16 on the new cam and I can't detect any real smearing. And we all know that lens is beyond hope on the previous gen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    It will not come close to the 645Z since the Z has larger photo sites which makes a 51MP FF 35mm camera not as good as the Z for most purposes. I am not talking about internet postings here of course as the print is my gauge of good or not so good.
    Depends on usage of course.

The much lighter weight, greater lens selection, IBIS and far smaller size will allow me to take better images with the Sony than the Pentax.

I am also referring to prints.

Some users will, no doubt, have a photography practice that takes full advantage of the Pentax.

But, I would come down on the other side of the equation and say that the Sony will be superior for most purposes.

Just expressing a personal view. YMMV

Take care,

Bill

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also hoping the 21 does well on the A7RII. My copy is a bit soft on the right side, but otherwise not too bad on the A7R. I've been using the Techart AF adapter, but it is bit buggy and I'll be looking for a better adapter for the A7RII.

Here is a sample I shot today using the 21G on the A7r+Techart adapter.

Carl
    Gallery
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

My store in Sweden says last week of July.

Best regards
    Erik

From the Sony Store USA 8/5/15

Read Europe and Canada is claiming 7/28/15

Haven't heard much else.. The Sony Store one I paid the most attention to because that is where I ordered.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

We have to wait and see to find out. There is much to the argument that the larger pixels (or I would rather say the larger sensor size) should favour the Pentax, but it is also about lenses.

Lloyd Chambers has compared the Pentax 645Z with the 25/4 and the Sony A7r using a Zeiss 21/2.8. In that comparison he found that the Sony A7r consistently outperformed the 645Z. Now, there are a lot of variables into that, lens quality varies a lot, for instance.

On the other hand Lloyd found that the 90/2.8 ED macro is extremely good.

I would expect the Pentax to have somewhat better image quality at base ISO, both cameras use Sony sensors, and the sensor surface of the Pentax is 1.7 times that of the A7rII. Also, it seems that both Nikon and Pentax make better use of Sony's sensors than Sony themselves.

On the plus side, Sony has electronic first curtain and on sensor phase detection AF, which should eliminate the need of AF-calibration. The Sony doesn't have a moving mirror, so camera vibration should be a non issue, while it was a real problem with the original A7r.

Best regards
    Erik

Post Thanks / Like

The last time I tried my 21cg was on the first Nex5 ant with my kip on adapter it would not even mount without cutting the tabs off( I saw shots taken by others with this glass and the tabs cut and the results were so poor I saw no need to even alter my 21 and kept it original and on my ContaxG2. The 28 above f5.6 worked ok on the original Nex5 and was horrible at any aperture on the NEX 7 so it went back in the Contax G2 kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hiepphotog View Post
    Having shot both the G28 and G21 on a modded A7s, they smeared about the same. In fact, I think the G21 behaves a bit better and it's definitely more manageable due to more DOF.

For now, I have very high hope for the A7RII to cope well with these lenses. There is a couple of test shots with the Hologon 16 on the new cam and I can't detect any real smearing. And we all know that lens is beyond hope on the previous gen.
    I have the 16mm F8 Hologon, the 21mm F2.8, the 28mm F2.8, the 45mm F2 and the 90mm F2.8. But I don't hold much hopes concerning their performance on the new A7rII : I think that the trick of the back lighted sensor is only there to compensate for the higher pixels count. I don't expect that it will significantly improve over what is already available.

Just curious however : the 16mm Hologon rear elements are protruding so much into the body that I don't think it can be modified to accommodate an FE body. Not only is the rear protruding way further than on the 21mm, but it isn't just plastic or metal : it contain a glass element. May be the pictures you saw using it weren't from the Contax G lens ? There is at least another Zeiss Hologon model for another mount than the Contax G. I'm just curious.. This lens has an incredibly low distortion.
    Last edited by Annna T; 18th July 2015 at 01:44.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The last time I tried my 21cg was on the first Nex5 ant with my kip on adapter it would not even mount without cutting the tabs off( I saw shots taken by others with this glass and the tabs cut and the results were so poor I saw no need to even alter my 21 and kept it original and on my ContaxG2. The 28 above f5.6 worked ok on the original Nex5 and was horrible at any aperture on the NEX 7 so it went back in the Contax G2 kit.
    Same for me : the 28mm produced so bad results on the A7r that I didn't bother to cut off the tabs of the 21mm. Though the picture Sho just showed above gives me thoughts.

I have two Techart smart adapters and they are very tricky to operate. One creates problems with the 90mm and the other with the 28mm.

Owning those orphaned Zeiss Contax G lenses (and Leica M lenses) pushed me to get into new mirrorless camera system, but in both cases (MFT and A7r) I ended up getting native lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I have everything else all ready to go, including even a LCD protector and charged batteries, now all I need is Sony to ship her out ...... hate this part of being a early adopter.... I find the older I get the less I like waiting for anything.

Post Thanks / Like

scho, the 21cg sample above: is that a cropped view? Looks like a much narrower FOV than I am used to from that lens on slides. I can see the start of some color shift on the wood deck and trees in the corners and just wondered if you just cropped the smear and color shift off in your normal PP like I used to do with the 28cg and 35cg at times when shot more open.

I ended up using my 45cg and stitching with my NEX cameras to get wider FOV images without the wide angle CG lens issues. I actually ended up liking to stitch using Autopano Giga and horizontal and vertical stitching a shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    I have the 16mm F8 Hologon, the 21mm F2.8, the 28mm F2.8, the 45mm F2 and the 90mm F2.8. But I don't hold much hopes concerning their performance on the new A7rII : I think that the trick of the back lighted sensor is only there to compensate for the higher pixels count. I don't expect that it will significantly improve over what is already available.

Just curious however : the 16mm Hologon rear elements are protruding so much into the body that I don't think it can be modified to accommodate an FE body. Not only is the rear protruding way further than on the 21mm, but it isn't just plastic or metal : it contain a glass element. May be the pictures you saw using it weren't from the Contax G lens ? There is at least another Zeiss Hologon model for another mount than the Contax G. I'm just curious.. This lens has an incredibly low distortion.
    The Hologon 16 rear element is still 4.5 mm away from the film/sensor plane, the rear guards might protrude an additional 1mm. The point is that you can mount a Hologon on any A7 body; however, you can't take pictures on most bodies due to the interference with the mechanical shutter. So far, only A7s users would be able to shoot with the Hologon safely in Silent full e-shutter mode.

Here is what people are able to do so far on the A7s:

??????????7S???????7S + Hologon T* 16mmF8?????? ?????????????????????? | ?????????????????????????????

Here is a picture with the Hologon mounted on the A7RII and a couple of shots this guy took (look at the picture with the guy in blue shirt, almost no smearing that I can see):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/585214...7655011661809/

Edit: fixed link
    Last edited by hiepphotog; 18th July 2015 at 09:21.

Post Thanks / Like

The last flickr link ends up as page not found

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by markymarkrb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ohnri View Post
    Depends on usage of course.

The much lighter weight, greater lens selection, IBIS and far smaller size will allow me to take better images with the Sony than the Pentax.

I am also referring to prints.

Some users will, no doubt, have a photography practice that takes full advantage of the Pentax.

But, I would come down on the other side of the equation and say that the Sony will be superior for most purposes.

Just expressing a personal view. YMMV

Take care,

Bill
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikKaffehr View Post
    Hi,

We have to wait and see to find out. There is much to the argument that the larger pixels (or I would rather say the larger sensor size) should favour the Pentax, but it is also about lenses.

Lloyd Chambers has compared the Pentax 645Z with the 25/4 and the Sony A7r using a Zeiss 21/2.8. In that comparison he found that the Sony A7r consistently outperformed the 645Z. Now, there are a lot of variables into that, lens quality varies a lot, for instance.

On the other hand Lloyd found that the 90/2.8 ED macro is extremely good.

I would expect the Pentax to have somewhat better image quality at base ISO, both cameras use Sony sensors, and the sensor surface of the Pentax is 1.7 times that of the A7rII. Also, it seems that both Nikon and Pentax make better use of Sony's sensors than Sony themselves.

On the plus side, Sony has electronic first curtain and on sensor phase detection AF, which should eliminate the need of AF-calibration. The Sony doesn't have a moving mirror, so camera vibration should be a non issue, while it was a real problem with the original A7r.

Best regards
    Erik
    The OP's question was on IQ. Until we can test the performance of the new sensor in the a7R II, comparisons to the 645Z (and Nikon D810) will only be theoretical. I shoot with three cameras - the a7R, 645Z and D810 - and can say with some degree of conviction that the 645Z, when used with a sharp lens (the FA 28-45 for example), has better DR and tonal rendering than either of my other two cameras. At base ISO, the images are simply stunning. I attribute that to the larger photo sites of the 645Z sensor. The high ISO noise performance of the 645Z is also superior to the Sony and Nikon, in my opinion. We'll [eventually] see what DxO says.

I have ordered the a7R II and am just as eager as the rest of you to see how it compares. Stay tuned.

Joe

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

scho, the 21cg sample above: is that a cropped view? Looks like a much narrower FOV than I am used to from that lens on slides. I can see the start of some color shift on the wood deck and trees in the corners and just wondered if you just cropped the smear and color shift off in your normal PP like I used to do with the 28cg and 35cg at times when shot more open.

I ended up using my 45cg and stitching with my NEX cameras to get wider FOV images without the wide angle CG lens issues. I actually ended up liking to stitch using Autopano Giga and horizontal and vertical stitching a shot.
    Jim,

I was using the older ("Eagle"version) of the DEO Tech adapter which is not 100% compatible with the A7R so it gives me 4800x3200 images instead of 7360x4912. Same aspect ratio, but reduced size and not cropped. Yes, there is some color shift that could be removed by converting to dng and applying a flat field profile in LR.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Jim,

I was using the older ("Eagle"version) of the DEO Tech adapter which is not 100% compatible with the A7R so it gives me 4800x3200 images instead of 7360x4912. Same aspect ratio, but reduced size and not cropped. Yes, there is some color shift that could be removed by converting to dng and applying a flat field profile in LR.
    No wonder you don't think it has much problem on your A7R. You can stop it from cropping by setting "APS-C Size Capture" to off. Then you might not be happy with your G21 .

Here are some non-cropped shots with the G21 on my A7S.Mod:

And this one is with a stock A7S:

Post Thanks / Like

You guys got me thinking.... Anyone know if the original Kipon contaxG to E mount adapter works on the a7x bodies without cropping issues??? It's been with me since my NEX 5 and has worked flawlessly on both 5 and 7 NEX bodies.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hiepphotog View Post
    No wonder you don't think it has much problem on your A7R. You can stop it from cropping by setting "APS-C Size Capture" to off. Then you might not be happy with your G21 .
    I agree that the 21 has problems on the A7R. Here is another shot I just tried with an old Fotodiox adapter in full size mode. More vignetting, magenta shift, and some edge smearing. The A7R in APS-C mode with the TechArt adapter gives an image (15 MP) about the same size as your 12.2 MP modded A7S.

Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

You guys got me thinking.... Anyone know if the original Kipon contaxG to E mount adapter works on the a7x bodies without cropping issues??? It's been with me since my NEX 5 and has worked flawlessly on both 5 and 7 NEX bodies.
    The last image with rainbows was taken with a Kipon on an A7S. No cropping, no "extra" vignette.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    I agree that the 21 has problems on the A7R. Here is another shot I just tried with an old Fotodiox adapter in full size mode. More vignetting, magenta shift, and some edge smearing. The A7R in APS-C mode with the TechArt adapter gives an image (15 MP) about the same size as your 12.2 MP modded A7S.

The problem is, with full FOV of a 21mm, this lens is currently unusable for landscape stuff even at f/16. Even on my modded cam, for full FOV, I have to use f/11 to get no smearing to the very tip of corners. If the A7RII somehow can solve this problem, I would be extremely happy. The G21 and G28 both have gorgeous rendition: a bit muted in contrast compared to modern Zeiss/Leica while being plenty sharp. Low optical distortion is a huge plus on my book as well.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great thanks!!! One less added expense avoided. I did do a web search on my LA EA1 adapter and found out that the cropping issue using it with a mount glass on a a7 is fixed by removing 3 screws and the inner baffle. Then in camera you turn off auto apc. Have that done and waiting but I really doubt I will much A mount glass on this body... Maybe my 70-400, 150-600, and tamarin 180 macro if any just for grins.

I see the 16-35, 45cg, and 90cg as the glass most used. In the future I see a 70-200 and possibly the 35 1.4. I see me keeping my A mount glass in my A mount bodies for BIF, action, and flash work. The a7rII will be my hike in lightweight scenic top gun. I make my income in product photography but love scenic's just difficult to make much shooting them around here. Too many vanity amateurs :-(

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    For my type of shooting I guess 32GB or perhaps 64GB is sufficient, but choosing the right type seems to me a tricky exercise as there is an abundance of formats available nowadays.
    SDHC/XS Class-10, UHS-1, UHS-2, UHS-3 with speeds ranging from 600x (90 MB/s) up to 2000x (300 MB/s) and with camera manufacturers not very helpful I can't deny feeling a bit puzzled.
    Needless to say I like a fast reliable card ...

Link to SD Association: Speed class

So guys, what's the game plan for your A7RII memory card ?

What a stupid mistake to make: apparently a silly question of me ...

Anyway, I bought a LEXAR SDXC 150 MB/s 64GB Class 10, UHS-II (3) - we'll see how it performs when my camera shows up (29/30th of July).
    At least my iMac can handle it - which was one of my concerns - so it's looking good so far.

Brgds.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Anyway, I bought a LEXAR SDXC 150 MB/s 64GB Class 10, UHS-II (3) - we'll see how it performs when my camera shows up (29/30th of July).
    Brgds.
    Meanwhile, can you bench to see how fast the card really goes? You can use CrystalDiskMark tool here.

Post Thanks / Like

I ended up buying the A7II yesterday and love it. Thought about waiting for the A7RII, but none of the upgrades made it worth the price difference to me. The A7R sensor performance, resolution, EVF, AF performance, video, etc etc, all meet my standards for "good enough".

What got me back into the Sony system is the FE35/1.4. That covers most of my needs. For now, I'd be using my OM 90/2 macro for portraits, macro, etc. But possibly will buy the Sony 90 macro or 85 Batis. And maybe a ZF 21mm Distagon to adapt unless a similar native lens comes sooner than later.

Unfortunately, this means I'm living with multiple systems again. Leica M and Micro 4/3 aren't replaceable for me at this time.
    Last edited by Amin; 21st July 2015 at 04:44.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amin View Post
    I ended up buying the A7II yesterday and love it. Thought about waiting for the A7RII, but none of the upgrades made it worth the price difference to me. The A7R sensor performance, resolution, EVF, AF performance, video, etc etc, all meet my standards for "good enough".

What got me back into the Sony system is the FE35/1.4. That covers most of my needs. For now, I'd be using my OM 90/2 macro for portraits, macro, etc. But possibly will buy the Sony 90 macro or 85 Batis. And maybe a ZF 21mm Distagon to adapt unless a similar native lens comes sooner than later.

Unfortunately, this means I'm living with multiple systems again. Leica M and Micro 4/3 aren't replaceable for me at this time.
    Similar dilemma here! I am invested in m43 with EM1 and Pro glass and love this system. Plus use my Nikon Df with some selected Nikkor primes and do not want to leave Nikon as it will stay my major system for OVF.

But the Sony offerings are very attractive WRT features and sensors and video. I want to see what the A7rII can deliver and then maybe I would buy in .... But what I read so far about the A7rII makes me hopeful. Only then I will have 3 systems again, not counting my M system with all my M glass but currently still without any digital body. Makes actually the problem even bigger, as I assume the A7rII would perform great with most of my M lenses
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Similar dilemma here! I am invested in m43 with EM1 and Pro glass and love this system. Plus use my Nikon Df with some selected Nikkor primes and do not want to leave Nikon as it will stay my major system for OVF.

But the Sony offerings are very attractive WRT features and sensors and video. I want to see what the A7rII can deliver and then maybe I would buy in .... But what I read so far about the A7rII makes me hopeful. Only then I will have 3 systems again, not counting my M system with all my M glass but currently still without any digital body. Makes actually the problem even bigger, as I assume the A7rII would perform great with most of my M lenses
    I'm in the same boat with three systems : Canon 6D, E-M5II and A7r. I don't really use the Canon anymore and should sell it; after using mirrorless and EVF, I can't go back to OVF anymore. In fact I updated the 5D Classic to the 6D just a few months before the A7 series was launched; had I known, I won't have updated the Canon. I tend to use the A7r more than the E-M5, but I have got so nice MFT lenses that I don't want to get rid of the Olympus. Lately I have used it either while hiking to get a light system, or for reach, with the 40-150mm and 1.4 extender.

I have read your post in the MFT forum and in your shoes I'd rather get an A7 than the Q which has only a fixed lens, I won't get the GX8 either, since a) you already have an MFT body and b) you said you would prefer a FF. If you want to stay small, you can get one of the first bodies (A7, A7r, A7s) and some light lenses like the 28mm F2, 35mm F2.8, the 55mm F1.8, or the Zeiss Loxia (MF only).

Getting an A7(r)II would result in a bigger body.

In any case : the smaller bodies don't do very well with the M lenses especially at shorter focal lengths. Some are OK, but many get smeared magenta corners. The new A7rII will have a new backlighted sensor which may be gentler with older RF lenses. However it has a smaller pixel pitch, due to higher resolution. So it remain to be seen whether the older RF shorter focal lengths will really perform better with it. Everyone is very excited by that new technology, but it was the same with the A7r (which everyone expected to perform better in the corners due to I don't remember which technology), but with respect to M lenses many were deceived.

Personally I'm happy with the two cameras I have now and don't plan to get an A7rII unless its new sensor really does well with the legacy RF glass.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    I'm in the same boat with three systems : Canon 6D, E-M5II and A7r. I don't really use the Canon anymore and should sell it; after using mirrorless and EVF, I can't go back to OVF anymore. In fact I updated the 5D Classic to the 6D just a few months before the A7 series was launched; had I known, I won't have updated the Canon. I tend to use the A7r more than the E-M5, but I have got so nice MFT lenses that I don't want to get rid of the Olympus. Lately I have used it either while hiking to get a light system, or for reach, with the 40-150mm and 1.4 extender.

I have read your post in the MFT forum and in your shoes I'd rather get an A7 than the Q which has only a fixed lens, I won't get the GX8 either, since a) you already have an MFT body and b) you said you would prefer a FF. If you want to stay small, you can get one of the first bodies (A7, A7r, A7s) and some light lenses like the 28mm F2, 35mm F2.8, the 55mm F1.8, or the Zeiss Loxia (MF only).

Getting an A7(r)II would result in a bigger body.

In any case : the smaller bodies don't do very well with the M lenses especially at shorter focal lengths. Some are OK, but many get smeared magenta corners. The new A7rII will have a new backlighted sensor which may be gentler with older RF lenses. However it has a smaller pixel pitch, due to higher resolution. So it remain to be seen whether the older RF shorter focal lengths will really perform better with it. Everyone is very excited by that new technology, but it was the same with the A7r (which everyone expected to perform better in the corners due to I don't remember which technology), but with respect to M lenses many were deceived.

Personally I'm happy with the two cameras I have now and don't plan to get an A7rII unless its new sensor really does well with the legacy RF glass.
    It was that "gapless microlenses." Back then, most thought that the microlens array responsible for the M lens color cast and smearing problem. If this new BSI design still can't solve the RF glass deal, it might be very hopeful with this upcoming and ready for production tech, QuantumFilm

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure what the bellows are in the demo.

I am more inclined towards the APS-C sensors now after starting to use a monochrome NEX-5N. The compactness can not be beat.

I am quite likely to skip this gen of BSI A7RII and wait for the "quantum" film tech sensor in a full frame body.

I do look forward to the A6000 upgrade with a BSI sensor.

Silent shutter in a compact APS-C cam will be really useful.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Not sure what the bellows are in the demo.

I am more inclined towards the APS-C sensors now after starting to use a monochrome NEX-5N. The compactness can not be beat.

I am quite likely to skip this gen of BSI A7RII and wait for the "quantum" film tech sensor in a full frame body.

I do look forward to the A6000 upgrade with a BSI sensor.

Silent shutter in a compact APS-C cam will be really useful.
    I lean towards agreeing that the APS-C bodies (or Micro 4/3 cameras) are a better fit for those put off by size of some FF lenses/bodies. How's you monochrome treating you though?
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very well, Tre.

I have the NEX5NM, the Leica MM and the A7s with me in India now with an assortment of lenses.

The most used of all is the NEX-5NM with an E 16/2.8.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    with an E 16/2.8.
    you can get some nice optical effects when the plastic lenses melt in the heat over there

Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SamSS View Post
    Meanwhile, can you bench to see how fast the card really goes? You can use CrystalDiskMark tool here.
    Hi Sam,

as ChristalDiskMark seems to be a Windows-only utility, I had to look for a Mac program and found this: DiskSpeedTest by Blackmagic Design.
    The tests show that I get about 59 MB/s write and 87 MB/s Read. Not very impressive, but then it could be that my iMac's internal card-reader is the limiting factor.
    As that internal card-reader is positioned at the back, it's not very convenient anyway, so I thought it about time to order an external Lexar USB 3.0 card-reader.

Anyone else tried benchmarking his SD cards ?

All the best.
    Bart ...