Site Sponsors
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: A7RII game plan

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A7RII game plan

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Another positive review

proimagenz.com: Sony A7R II Hands On
    His first point: "• Viewfinder - Terrfic, much bigger then the previous versions and really enjoyable in use." Unless I missed something, doesn't it have the same viewfinder its predecessors?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
    His first point: "• Viewfinder - Terrfic, much bigger then the previous versions and really enjoyable in use." Unless I missed something, doesn't it have the same viewfinder its predecessors?
    I think it's different, not sure about the 'much bigger', though.
    The current is 0.71x while the new is 0.78x according to the Sony website.
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

first: A7R - second: A7R2
    Bart ...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Hi Sam,

as ChristalDiskMark seems to be a Windows-only utility, I had to look for a Mac program and found this: DiskSpeedTest by Blackmagic Design.
    The tests show that I get about 59 MB/s write and 87 MB/s Read. Not very impressive, but then it could be that my iMac's internal card-reader is the limiting factor.
    As that internal card-reader is positioned at the back, it's not very convenient anyway, so I thought it about time to order an external Lexar USB 3.0 card-reader.

Anyone else tried benchmarking his SD cards ?

All the best.
    If you need an external reader, may I recommend the Kingston MobileLite G4 UHS-II FCR-MLG4? - LINK
    It's very well build, compact, high speed reader and under $10.
    It's limited testing apps for Mac but SpeedDisk is fine.

This is an example of a PNY Elite Performance 64GB SDXC UHS-1 which I've tested with various apps last year in April when first introduced. It's always good know what I actually paid for against MFG claims vs price worth when it comes to SSD and memory card.

Link

Link
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The VF in Sony's later cameras has undergone steady improvement, each model is better than the last. Applies to RX1-a99-a7(r). That all happened quietly, but now Sony went all out and made it very large and (I think) significantly, coated it with T* coatings. Zeiss lenses will feel right at home, nestled beneath the EVF.

Sony know this VF issue and 'AF for EOS' are the critical factors in attracting more DSLR users to what we euphemistically call 'the dark side'.

Leonard Cohen had it right as to how the photo industry sees Sony:

"Ah you loved me as a loser, but now you're worried that I just might win
    You know the way to stop me, but you don't have the discipline
    How many nights I prayed for this, to let my work begin
    First we take Manhattan, then we take Berlin."

LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not nothing original in the last line.

Jennifer Warnes The Famous Blue Raincoat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    Not nothing original in the last line.

Jennifer Warnes The Famous Blue Raincoat
    It's 100% original. Cohen wrote and recorded the song first. Warnes covered it.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if this has been posted but several raw files have been released here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q0bkmi8s6...Dn6UxPcua?dl=0

One of them is a very clean 25.600 iso!

Post Thanks / Like

Had been hoping for an EVF that equals the one on my Q which is so much smoother than the one on my A7II or A7s. what I mean by this is that the Q EVF doesn't suffer from shimmering highlights on high contrasts subjects the way the Sony's do and I find quite off putting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted but several raw files have been released here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q0bkmi8s6...Dn6UxPcua?dl=0

One of them is a very clean 25.600 iso!
    Interested to see these images as I am considering trading the A7s if the high iso is anywhere near the same performance. What I find extraordinary with the A7s is the amount of DR you still get as you go up the range so ill be interesting to see what the A7rII can do

Post Thanks / Like

Just downloaded the RAW files and opened in C1Pro - they look really promising!

Another issue that became apparent to me is, that LR6 does still not offer an update for these RAW files, although LR6CC does. This is really annoying from Adobe - shame on them!

Peter
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Post Thanks / Like

I am also very interested in the A7RII.

Thanks for uploading the raw files.
    I am comming from Nikon d810:
    Is there any chance to shoot tethered? With capture software?

Thank you.

Niels

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post

Another issue that became apparent to me is, that LR6 does still not offer an update for these RAW files, although LR6CC does. This is really annoying from Adobe - shame on them!

Peter
    Absolutely ! I guess they are trying to lure people into the CC mensual subscription, which I don't want. I have updated to LR6.1, but some innovations touted by Adobe aren't available : especially the black lights and white lights options on the local brush and the dehaze option (less if a concern). I paid for this update and don't understand why I'm not getting those innovations, like the CC customers.

When I updated to LR 6, I started by updating ACR for PSCS6 and sometimes I wonder whether this isn't the reason why I didn't get the last innovations in LR : after all ACR and LR share the same raw converter ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Annna T View Post
    Absolutely ! I guess they are trying to lure people into the CC mensual subscription, which I don't want. I have updated to LR6.1, but some innovations touted by Adobe aren't available : especially the black lights and white lights options on the local brush and the dehaze option (less if a concern). I paid for this update and don't understand why I'm not getting those innovations, like the CC customers.

When I updated to LR 6, I started by updating ACR for PSCS6 and sometimes I wonder whether this isn't the reason why I didn't get the last innovations in LR : after all ACR and LR share the same raw converter ?
    Unfortunately and I would say sort of unethically Adobe seem to have decided only to give new features in updates to CC subscribers and those of us who have paid for the onetime license only get profile upgrades. I consider this to be just another way to force you into the monthly subscription and really bad marketing tactic. Shame on you Adobe as I have been with you since Lr2

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Peter
    That's actually not true at all.

I don't think there's a secret Adobe agenda. It's just a matter of the server you're on allowing automated access to the patch. I'm sure there's priority for CC subscribers to get it pushed to first but you can manually enable the patch yourself by selecting the link below. This update should work for either LR6/LRCC. I had to update my LightroomCC this way as my update didn't automatically get pushed until this morning for LRCC/PhotoshopCC. Some people got the update yesterday but I (as a subscriber) didn't. This manual patch will update Lightroom for you I believe when you run it... Just choose Mac or Windows.

Lightroom CC 2015.1.1 is now available
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: A7RII game plan

LR 6.1.1 has been available for over 24 hours now. Just do an updates search from the help menu.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

LR 6.1.1 has been available for over 24 hours now. Just do an updates search from the help menu.
    The link I posted above takes you directly to the LR6.1.1/LRCC Update/Patch at the bottom of the page.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Viramati View Post
    Unfortunately and I would say sort of unethically Adobe seem to have decided only to give new features in updates to CC subscribers and those of us who have paid for the onetime license only get profile upgrades. I consider this to be just another way to force you into the monthly subscription and really bad marketing tactic. Shame on you Adobe as I have been with you since Lr2
    What you describe is the case of PSCS6, where you have to pay the subscription if you want the new features and upgrades. And who knows for how long we will be able to get the new camera profiles ?

But LR Is different : you can buy a full version for 150$ or an upgrade from LR 5.7 to LR 6.1 for 80$. It's understandable that if you don't subscribe for CC you don't get the mobile and cloud stuff. However I find it highly unfair that you are denied some of the new features for developing the raws, like the dehaze tool etc.
    Last edited by Annna T; 30th July 2015 at 16:53.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    The link I posted above takes you directly to the LR6.1.1/LRCC Update/Patch at the bottom of the page.
    Yes, but I wanted to dispel the notion of a nefarious Adobe crippling the local-stored Lightroom in favor of the CC version. AFAIK, all updates have been available to both versions at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What you describe is the case of PSCS6, where you have to pay the subscription if you want the new features and upgrades. And who knows for how long we will be able to get the new camera profiles ?
    Well not much longer it seems : the next update will be the last for PSCS6 users. After that, you will need to use Adobe Dng Converter and you won't be able to get lens profiles : http://www.dpreview.com/articles/613...for-cs6-owners

rrr_hhh

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my take on Adobe. Yes they do have the most powerful photographic software in the world without a doubt. When they went to this CC lease as you go sales structure I said then when stand alone goes so will Adobe in my PP ( the truth is even though I have LR6 and have use photoshop since PS7 it's user interface and I have never blended well and I might in the last 8 years other than college specific courses on several CS and PS courses, only use Adobe product maybe 2-3 times per year.... It honestly will be no big loss for me to not have these). The bad part is my beloved Aperture is no longer supported so I am on the search for a suitable replacement. I have along with the above mentioned software I also own DXO and Capture One as Raw PP softwares as well and not one of them is as comfortable for me to use as aperture in PP and filing. Another sad point is I own a complete Topaz Suite and most all of it will only run as plug ins for aperture or Adobe.

I have some very big changes on the horizon facing me but if Adobe ends its stand alone software and forces everyone to lease through the cloud I definitely will not have Adobe products in my future. I don't use a cloud format for anything not my Mac, iPhone, laptop, and surely never for my PP work. Yea I am old

Post Thanks / Like

Peter
    Meanwhile standalone LR6 also supports the A7rII RAW files - just to be correct.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Meanwhile standalone LR6 also supports the A7rII RAW files - just to be correct.
    PSCS6 will too, but Adobe stated that this would be the last update and the last cameras added for CS6.

I wonder whether they will keep the possibility to buy LR as a standalone ? Some of the new features added to the developpe module in LR6 are now only available in CC.

Post Thanks / Like

Did I add that Adobe Customer Service has to be the absolutely worst Customer Service group in the world!!!!!!! When I was loading my LR5 to LR6 upgrade I kept running into a wall. Now the very nice english speaking woman I dealt with in buying the upgrade told me it should be ready in 10 minutes to upload. After hitting a wall for 1 hour I called and finally got yo speak to a person but one that barely spoke english and one I could even less understand. This got no where. An hour later I called CS again and got another person who also could no speak english in a manner a normal American could understand. I threw the phone that time and searched the web for a phone contact number for the CEO of Adobe. That came up empty and I threw the phone on the next contact, Finally I contacted sales and said I want to cancel my order and get my money back. This person spoke english and guess what? Contacted someone to do something and after 6 hours my update finally worked. 6 friggin hours for a product upgrade?!?!?! REALLY?????? I was one hot user by the time it finally got done and I have only used it once for a sample a7rII raw since getting it 2-3 weeks ago.

I do not know how avid users tolerate their sales or customer service business models......... I know I don't! That day cost me hundreds in work revenue while I wasted time with it and their ridiculous customer service. NEVER AGAIN!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

PSCS6 will too, but Adobe stated that this would be the last update and the last cameras added for CS6.

I wonder whether they will keep the possibility to buy LR as a standalone ? Some of the new features added to the developpe module in LR6 are now only available in CC.

Absolutely right! I share these concerns as well! My main issue is that I wanted to use LR6 as replacement for Aperture but I will definitely not go the path of CC. If this is the only choice in future then I will exclusively use C1Pro, which I already start liking more and more.

Only issue is - I am getting tired of changing my main post processing tool every few months

Post Thanks / Like

DXO pro 10 is working for me. And doing that very, very well, I might add. I'll keep LR for storage and indexing.
    Stephen

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephen.s1 View Post
    DXO pro 10 is working for me. And doing that very, very well, I might add. I'll keep LR for storage and indexing.
    I've been toying with the idea of going back to LR exclusively with DXO Optics 10 in the workflow after being nearly C1P8 exclusive for the last few months. To be honest I gotta say the results in IQ using this combo beat C1P8 except when the need to tether comes into play.

Post Thanks / Like

Well not much longer it seems : the next update will be the last for PSCS6 users. After that, you will need to use Adobe Dng Converter and you won't be able to get lens profiles : http://www.dpreview.com/articles/613...for-cs6-owners

rrr_hhh
    It should be noted that CS6 does not include Lightroom, so new lenses/cameras will still be supported in LR. If you have the LR/PS combo, you still will get the latest/greatest. AFAIK, this only affect ACR.

You may even be able to get newer profiles into CS6 if you can find where the profile files are stored on your computer. This is the way I've done it in the past when Adobe releases new profiles to ACR but haven't yet updated LR.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I've been toying with the idea of going back to LR exclusively with DXO Optics 10 in the workflow after being nearly C1P8 exclusive for the last few months. To be honest I gotta say the results in IQ using this combo beat C1P8 except when the need to tether comes into play.
    This is what I've been doing for several months. I started using DxO OP when version 10 came out, exclusively for their excellent noise reduction. Then I noticed the profiles looked a lot better, so now (sharpness critical) images are first profiled in DxO and then exported back to LR as a DNG file, even if noise reduction isn't required.

My current, convoluted workflow - import to LR for selects. Export to DxO for profiles and NR (as needed). Export back to LR. Add color profiles and tonal adjustments, crop if needed. I then export image w/adjustments to OnOne's Perfect Suite for their jaw-dropping dynamic contrast filter, and (if needed) portrait touchups and/or context sensitive erasing (every bit as good as PS). Export back to LR for final adjustments, key wording and GPS loc.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

This is what I've been doing for several months. I started using DxO OP when version 10 came out, exclusively for their excellent noise reduction. Then I noticed the profiles looked a lot better, so now (sharpness critical) images are first profiled in DxO and then exported back to LR as a DNG file, even if noise reduction isn't required.

My current, convoluted workflow - import to LR for selects. Export to DxO for profiles and NR (as needed). Export back to LR. Add color profiles and tonal adjustments, crop if needed. I then export image w/adjustments to OnOne's Perfect Suite for their jaw-dropping dynamic contrast filter, and (if needed) portrait touchups and/or context sensitive erasing (every bit as good as PS). Export back to LR for final adjustments, key wording and GPS loc.
    I started using DXO Optics with version 9.5 when it was on sale and they added the native LR plugin. I liked it then but it was significantly slower in operation than DXO Optics 10 (and most other RAW Processors for that matter.) I agree that their lens corrections are significantly better than the LR ones, the processing engine and tools are very slick as well. I did put in my lens profile requests for the Batis lenses when I first bought them so hopefully they will be included in the next update.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well it's Monday the 3rd. Do you know where your A7rII is. Lol

Most of us get these this week , so this begs the question. What are you doing next weekend. I have everything in place as far as to gear up except the Batis 25 but I'm trying to figure out where to go to shoot next weekend. I can't handle the heat here and after driving across country. There where some places I like to go back but I'm thinking going North for the weekend. I would love to pull together a mini weekend meet up place. So what's everyone's shooting game plan
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Guy per Sony mine should ship tomorrow and arrive Wed.. I have a 100 gun collection at work that arrived last week to photograph so bagging the rest of the week and playing with the new camera is not possible. The good thing is the wife has plans Saturday with her bible study group outing so I am totally free that day. I am sure I will either travel east to the Jersey beaches, south to the MD NWR beaches or North into the Amish country around Lancaster to give this new body a ringing out.

You know I have some local scenic areas that will get shot Wed when it arrives. I got a new bag all set up and waiting for it and though I luv my Lab a scenic beats a pet pic hands down for a test shoot

Have fun out West as I surely will on the East coast with this new tool.

Just checked the weather .. T storms Thu and Fri .. Partly sunny Sat... Sounds like a plan!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I have a standard subject I used to shoot to compare systems at a castle near office. So I guess a new test shot there.

I will also go to another place where I used to see a lot of aliasing. And I will shoot some test charts.

The lenses I will use are the Canon 24/3.5 TSE and new Sony FE 90/2.8 macro, a n older 50/1.4 Minolta lens and 24-70/2.8 ZA lens.

I will shoot it in parallell with my Hasselblad V/P45+ gear.

Best regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Well it's Monday the 3rd. Do you know where your A7rII is. Lol

Most of us get these this week , so this begs the question. What are you doing next weekend. I have everything in place as far as to gear up except the Batis 25 but I'm trying to figure out where to go to shoot next weekend. I can't handle the heat here and after driving across country. There where some places I like to go back but I'm thinking going North for the weekend. I would love to pull together a mini weekend meet up place. So what's everyone's shooting game plan

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well the heat factor here in Pheonix is about 112 the next couple days. I'm going to head to Flagstaff this weekend and go play. It's about 80 or so up there. Elevation is close to 7k
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

It is starting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsG-Hkmmk-8

I bet in the next few days MUCH more is to come once the dang camera is in a lot of people's hands.