The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7RII game plan

Ken_R

The Sony A7RII spec list is the stuff of dreams. The sensor, the Af, the shutter, the video etc etc. Sony just hit's a lot of want's/needs with this camera.

My plan is to get the A7RII and the metabones adapter and just use my current Canon lenses.

mazor

Hah
Just read the details (slow on the uptake here). I'm dying to place a pre-order . . it looks great, but the grown up me knows it has nothing to offer that I really want/need:

1. I don't need 42mp
2. I know I prefer a rangefinder and manual focus for fast primes
3. after lots of comparison I know that µ43 is right for me for nature/wildlife/sport/macro
4. I've sold all my Sony lenses.

So I'll watch all you guys having fun with interest whilst I wait patiently for the OMD E-M1 mark II and the 7-14 Zuiko

all the best from China
Nicely Said Jono. There are some better FE lenses being released all the time, but then, it is debatable whether they can compete against the m43 range of lenses. There is just so much choice when it comes to m43.

For some, the 42Mp can come in handy for post cropping landscapes shots while maintaining excellent detail. Also for landscapes, it seems one can never have too much resolution.

I too am enjoying my E-M1. Like you said, when it comes to wildlife, and closeup macros, the performance and size of lenses for m43 hard to beat

mazor

This is my first post here, although I've lurked for some time. This forum has been a great source of info.

I've shot with Canon for some time now and I have an aging 5dII as my main body. My game plan for switching with lenses is as follows:

17-40L -> sell and get 16-35 FE
24-105L -> sell and get either 24-70FE or 55mm FE / 85mm Zeiss
70-300L -> keep for now but possibly later switch to 70-200FE
24 TS -> keep and use with adapter
45 TS -> keep and use with adapter
85 PC (nikon) -> I use this with a nikon-to-canon adapter. Pick up a nikon-to-FE adapter?

I may pick up a small, fast prime for travel/people shots (maybe 35mm f/2.8 FE).

If I didn't upgrade to the A7RII, I'd probably get the 5DSR. In this case I would replace the 17-40L with canon's 16-35 f/4 and likely the 24-105L with 24-70 f/4.

The filter sizes are all different with the new lenses. I'll have to pick up some new adapter rings for my Lee kit and possibly a screw-on circular polarizer.

I'll have to get a new L-bracket. Currently using a gitzo 3541LS tripod with bh-55. Would be nice if I could go 1-step down and use lighter models.

The main question I have is which adapter should I get? Metabones? Commlite? something else? I've seen some various reviews but it's bit hard to quantify the differences (e.g. reliability, build quality, precision, etc.). Also it's not clear what the AF performance will be with the a7rII.
Hmm, Canons 16-35 f4L IS USM is a very nice work lens. The Sony 16-35 is no slouch, but when it comes to wide open performance over the frame, the Canon wins hands down. I would happily use this lens on an A7 body :).

With regards to adapters, Metabones is meant to be the "best" as it costs the most, but recently, the quality control of the Metabones smart adapters have not been as good as it was with the older generation adapters, where people have written horror stories of the adapter damaging their Canon L mounts, and bad electronic connections, to alignment issues.

Another brand you should consider is the Kipon Smart adapters. There seems to be newer models that have very promising features.

sbay

Hmm, Canons 16-35 f4L IS USM is a very nice work lens. The Sony 16-35 is no slouch, but when it comes to wide open performance over the frame, the Canon wins hands down. I would happily use this lens on an A7 body :).
The canon gets great reviews but I think the difference is not enough to make me want to fuddle with an adapter.

Another brand you should consider is the Kipon Smart adapters. There seems to be newer models that have very promising features.
Thanks I will check them out.

Now I'm digging through the accessories that I will need. It turns out that there are at least 3 different remote releases that I could use: RM-VPR1, RMT-DSLR2, RMT-VP1K.

Also is there a dual battery charger that's recommended?

iiiNelson

The canon gets great reviews but I think the difference is not enough to make me want to fuddle with an adapter.

Thanks I will check them out.

Now I'm digging through the accessories that I will need. It turns out that there are at least 3 different remote releases that I could use: RM-VPR1, RMT-DSLR2, RMT-VP1K.

Also is there a dual battery charger that's recommended?
I believe many here use the Watson Dual Charger. As for remotes I use the phone apps for Sony Playmemories, Capture Pilot, or a have the DSLR2 remote as well.

UHDR

i feel the A7rII (and the yet-to-come sony cameras) is heavily geared towards videographer. on paper 4X MP is less than 5X MP from canon, and to certain extend feels rather odd (36MP FF has the same pixel density as 15-16MP APS-C, 54MP has the same pixel density as 20 MP in APS-C. i.e. manufacturing process is more or less in place. 4XMP is a weird one because APS-C eqv pixel density doesnt quite exist before and why bother stop at 4X if a sensor is designed from grounds up?) but yet if you start from a videographer point of view, it makes alot of sense.

Canon pretty much ditched the wannabe-pro videographers when they locked away some of the video features with 5D3 and now restricting the use of ML hack. Canon is thinking if they do this then they can force people to fork out more money to get their Cx line. But of course Sony saw this potential honey pot with the unexpectedly high A7s demand, as such this market becomes the design basis for Sony. And of course the videograph community has been screaming for something that is in Super 35mm for some time. the closest you get is the A6000 with its APS-C sensor, but that still hasnt quite have that the s35 look.

One key feature for A7rII that results in this weird 4X MP is the super 35mm native 4K mode with internal recording. 4K resolution with super 35mm format pretty much dictates the pixel density, so scale that to 35mm FF, then there you have the strange 4X MP sensor.

I feel this may be the the direction Sony is now heading, see all the de-click features on Loxia and 35mm F1.4; and now the A7rII, RX10ii etc. while i think it's good that they are investing in these, im not sure if i want to pay a premium for these features that i rarely use as a still photographer, worse yet, i dont want to carry all these additional weight when i go onto weight-sensitivity trips.

disclaimer: i haven't read any of the replies above yet.

EDIT: I will probably still end up getting it, but need to wait for it come down in price rather than jump straight in like i did with the A7r.

etrigan63

I believe many here use the Watson Dual Charger. As for remotes I use the phone apps for Sony Playmemories, Capture Pilot, or a have the DSLR2 remote as well.
There is also a free app in the Camera App Store(!) to allow you to use the EVF eye sensor as a release. I have used it to great effect. Yes, the Watson dual charger is the way to go.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay some good news. Just read this on SAR

And one of our readers tested the A7rii with metabones and the Canon ef 35 1.4L:

I have to say that performance was really amazing!! it really seems like you’re using canon lens on its native camera.

Guy:
This is HUGE

tn1krr

And one of our readers tested the A7rii with metabones and the Canon ef 35 1.4L:

I have to say that performance was really amazing!! it really seems like you’re using canon lens on its native camera.

Guy:
This is HUGE
I just wanna know what happens in low light levels; this is where sensor-PDAF traditionally starts to lose ground vs. mirror-PDAF. The more CDAF is needed for lock, the more DSLR lenses will slow down.

The new backlit system with "short/shallow in-sensor light path" could potentially increase the sensor-PDAF sensitivity too. Let's hope it does, a lot :)

uhoh7

Guy:
This is HUGE
Yes, and Brian Smith swore to me the A7r would shoot the ZM18 sharp to the edges. LOL

The new sensor may indeed be better with film wides, but I would not base my expectations on a random quote with no images.

Initial reports about the Leica Q had many thinking the camera was at the 28 cron level of performance. It's not.

We will not know the truth till we see some serious test shots.

V

Vivek

A better alternative for that (UW) is the 10-18 f4zoom. I bought one (based on an authoritative recommendation) and returned it after 4 snaps. I guess there are real differences between a rank amateur and an "artisan".

dwood

I'd need the following:

1- Sony A7RII
1- Sony grip for said A7RII
1- Zeiss Batis 25
1- Sony FE 35/1.4
1- Sony FE 55
1- Zeiss Batis 85
1- Sony FE 70-200
1- custom Guy Mancuso ski mask

:D

Quentin_Bargate

Based on past experience, my game plan will be to buy lots of stuff then never use it. So yes, the A7rII will probably be added to my contingent of rarely used stuff that looks great on paper but which I don't really need and probably won't use much.

Guy Mancuso

I'd need the following:

1- Sony A7RII
1- Sony grip for said A7RII
1- Zeiss Batis 25
1- Sony FE 35/1.4
1- Sony FE 55
1- Zeiss Batis 85
1- Sony FE 70-200
1- custom Guy Mancuso ski mask

:D
My List

1- Sony A7RII NEED
1- Sony grip for said A7RII HAVE
1- Zeiss Batis 25 NEED
1- Sony FE 35/1.4 HAVE
1- Sony FE 55 HAVE 50 LOxia
1- Zeiss Batis 85 NEED
1- Sony FE 70-200 Minolta 200mm
1- custom Guy Mancuso ski mask. Rental FEE 3200. LOL

V

Vivek

I have been wondering why and how I can dismiss any urge to buy the A7R II.
It ticks all the boxes.

First BSI large sensor with all the trimmings (shutter included).

Here is why. Whatever I have is on par with whatever else (any brand) is out there. Nothing to worry about.

Disruptive technology has found its limits.

hcubell

I have been wondering why and how I can dismiss any urge to buy the A7R II.
It ticks all the boxes.

First BSI large sensor with all the trimmings (shutter included).

Here is why. Whatever I have is on par with whatever else (any brand) is out there. Nothing to worry about.

Disruptive technology has found its limits.
Of course, if it is "just" about taking better photographs, I bet what you have now is on a par with what you had 7 or 8 years ago. Maybe more. However, we all get caught up in it because it is easier to buy new equipment than it is to actually make better photographs.

Guy Mancuso

No I have a need for a fixed A7r . Its just that simple for me. Plus a lot of bonus stuff. I can't wait any longer i want it now. I wish this was a impulse buy, I could put it off awhile. NOT