The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A7RII game plan

Viramati

Had been hoping for an EVF that equals the one on my Q which is so much smoother than the one on my A7II or A7s. what I mean by this is that the Q EVF doesn't suffer from shimmering highlights on high contrasts subjects the way the Sony's do and I find quite off putting.

Viramati

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Just downloaded the RAW files and opened in C1Pro - they look really promising!

Another issue that became apparent to me is, that LR6 does still not offer an update for these RAW files, although LR6CC does. This is really annoying from Adobe - shame on them!

Peter

Niels_Patrick

I am also very interested in the A7RII.

Thanks for uploading the raw files.
I am comming from Nikon d810:
Is there any chance to shoot tethered? With capture software?

Thank you.

Niels

Annna T

Another issue that became apparent to me is, that LR6 does still not offer an update for these RAW files, although LR6CC does. This is really annoying from Adobe - shame on them!

Peter
Absolutely ! I guess they are trying to lure people into the CC mensual subscription, which I don't want. I have updated to LR6.1, but some innovations touted by Adobe aren't available : especially the black lights and white lights options on the local brush and the dehaze option (less if a concern). I paid for this update and don't understand why I'm not getting those innovations, like the CC customers.

When I updated to LR 6, I started by updating ACR for PSCS6 and sometimes I wonder whether this isn't the reason why I didn't get the last innovations in LR : after all ACR and LR share the same raw converter ?

Viramati

Absolutely ! I guess they are trying to lure people into the CC mensual subscription, which I don't want. I have updated to LR6.1, but some innovations touted by Adobe aren't available : especially the black lights and white lights options on the local brush and the dehaze option (less if a concern). I paid for this update and don't understand why I'm not getting those innovations, like the CC customers.

When I updated to LR 6, I started by updating ACR for PSCS6 and sometimes I wonder whether this isn't the reason why I didn't get the last innovations in LR : after all ACR and LR share the same raw converter ?
Unfortunately and I would say sort of unethically Adobe seem to have decided only to give new features in updates to CC subscribers and those of us who have paid for the onetime license only get profile upgrades. I consider this to be just another way to force you into the monthly subscription and really bad marketing tactic. Shame on you Adobe as I have been with you since Lr2

iiiNelson

Peter
That's actually not true at all.

I don't think there's a secret Adobe agenda. It's just a matter of the server you're on allowing automated access to the patch. I'm sure there's priority for CC subscribers to get it pushed to first but you can manually enable the patch yourself by selecting the link below. This update should work for either LR6/LRCC. I had to update my LightroomCC this way as my update didn't automatically get pushed until this morning for LRCC/PhotoshopCC. Some people got the update yesterday but I (as a subscriber) didn't. This manual patch will update Lightroom for you I believe when you run it... Just choose Mac or Windows.

Lightroom CC 2015.1.1 is now available

Annna T

Unfortunately and I would say sort of unethically Adobe seem to have decided only to give new features in updates to CC subscribers and those of us who have paid for the onetime license only get profile upgrades. I consider this to be just another way to force you into the monthly subscription and really bad marketing tactic. Shame on you Adobe as I have been with you since Lr2
What you describe is the case of PSCS6, where you have to pay the subscription if you want the new features and upgrades. And who knows for how long we will be able to get the new camera profiles ?

But LR Is different : you can buy a full version for 150$ or an upgrade from LR 5.7 to LR 6.1 for 80$. It's understandable that if you don't subscribe for CC you don't get the mobile and cloud stuff. However I find it highly unfair that you are denied some of the new features for developing the raws, like the dehaze tool etc.

Last edited:

dandrewk

The link I posted above takes you directly to the LR6.1.1/LRCC Update/Patch at the bottom of the page.
Yes, but I wanted to dispel the notion of a nefarious Adobe crippling the local-stored Lightroom in favor of the CC version. AFAIK, all updates have been available to both versions at the same time.

Annna T

What you describe is the case of PSCS6, where you have to pay the subscription if you want the new features and upgrades. And who knows for how long we will be able to get the new camera profiles ?
Well not much longer it seems : the next update will be the last for PSCS6 users. After that, you will need to use Adobe Dng Converter and you won't be able to get lens profiles : http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6136681022/adobe-announces-final-camera-raw-update-for-cs6-owners

rrr_hhh

Jim DE

Here's my take on Adobe. Yes they do have the most powerful photographic software in the world without a doubt. When they went to this CC lease as you go sales structure I said then when stand alone goes so will Adobe in my PP ( the truth is even though I have LR6 and have use photoshop since PS7 it's user interface and I have never blended well and I might in the last 8 years other than college specific courses on several CS and PS courses, only use Adobe product maybe 2-3 times per year.... It honestly will be no big loss for me to not have these). The bad part is my beloved Aperture is no longer supported so I am on the search for a suitable replacement. I have along with the above mentioned software I also own DXO and Capture One as Raw PP softwares as well and not one of them is as comfortable for me to use as aperture in PP and filing. Another sad point is I own a complete Topaz Suite and most all of it will only run as plug ins for aperture or Adobe.

I have some very big changes on the horizon facing me but if Adobe ends its stand alone software and forces everyone to lease through the cloud I definitely will not have Adobe products in my future. I don't use a cloud format for anything not my Mac, iPhone, laptop, and surely never for my PP work. Yea I am old ;)

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Peter
Meanwhile standalone LR6 also supports the A7rII RAW files - just to be correct.

Annna T

Meanwhile standalone LR6 also supports the A7rII RAW files - just to be correct.
PSCS6 will too, but Adobe stated that this would be the last update and the last cameras added for CS6.

I wonder whether they will keep the possibility to buy LR as a standalone ? Some of the new features added to the developpe module in LR6 are now only available in CC.

Jim DE

Did I add that Adobe Customer Service has to be the absolutely worst Customer Service group in the world!!!!!!! When I was loading my LR5 to LR6 upgrade I kept running into a wall. Now the very nice english speaking woman I dealt with in buying the upgrade told me it should be ready in 10 minutes to upload. After hitting a wall for 1 hour I called and finally got yo speak to a person but one that barely spoke english and one I could even less understand. This got no where. An hour later I called CS again and got another person who also could no speak english in a manner a normal American could understand. I threw the phone that time and searched the web for a phone contact number for the CEO of Adobe. That came up empty and I threw the phone on the next contact, Finally I contacted sales and said I want to cancel my order and get my money back. This person spoke english and guess what? Contacted someone to do something and after 6 hours my update finally worked. 6 friggin hours for a product upgrade?!?!?! REALLY?????? I was one hot user by the time it finally got done and I have only used it once for a sample a7rII raw since getting it 2-3 weeks ago.

I do not know how avid users tolerate their sales or customer service business models......... I know I don't! That day cost me hundreds in work revenue while I wasted time with it and their ridiculous customer service. NEVER AGAIN!!!!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
PSCS6 will too, but Adobe stated that this would be the last update and the last cameras added for CS6.

I wonder whether they will keep the possibility to buy LR as a standalone ? Some of the new features added to the developpe module in LR6 are now only available in CC.

Absolutely right! I share these concerns as well! My main issue is that I wanted to use LR6 as replacement for Aperture but I will definitely not go the path of CC. If this is the only choice in future then I will exclusively use C1Pro, which I already start liking more and more.

Only issue is - I am getting tired of changing my main post processing tool every few months :mad:

iiiNelson

DXO pro 10 is working for me. And doing that very, very well, I might add. I'll keep LR for storage and indexing.
I've been toying with the idea of going back to LR exclusively with DXO Optics 10 in the workflow after being nearly C1P8 exclusive for the last few months. To be honest I gotta say the results in IQ using this combo beat C1P8 except when the need to tether comes into play.