The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pre Order

biglouis

Great question.
I think it will be awhile before the A7R II needs updating - whatever they will call that.
But I suppose an A7S II soon still makes sense.
Sure.

Mind you what about a 48mpx version with back lit curved sensor? So much better for all that legacy/manual glass.

Then the back-lit, curved, stacked sensor giving 150mpx?

Then the...

Sony product management is all about churn not stability of the product line.

Just my two cents.

LouisB

V

Vivek

FWIW, this is what will follow the A7rII, rather quickly- I think.

A lower priced version of the A7rII.

Sony would have already started production on this based on the preorder estimates for the A7R II.

The rumored A9 solely rests on the success of the A7RII.

k-hawinkler

Sure.

Mind you what about a 48mpx version with back lit curved sensor? So much better for all that legacy/manual glass.

Then the back-lit, curved, stacked sensor giving 150mpx?

Then the...

Sony product management is all about churn not stability of the product line.

Just my two cents.

LouisB

LouisB, I hope you are spot on. :)

ohnri

What are the odds of an A9 now that an A7RII has been announced? What bases would it cover that the A7RII does not?
20 fps at full resolution.

My Samsung NX1 does 15fps.
My D4 does 10fps.

Sony, bring on a sports camera !!

-Bill

jfirneno

Or worse yet... "why I am selling this camera" after stating a month earlier how it is the greatest thing since sliced bread..... then moving on to the next latest and greatest new techno widget only to do the same thing after a month or so.
It's a never ending insatiable cycle for some where satisfaction is never totally realized..... like a hamster on a wheel. But, it is great for the used buyers ..... nearly new cameras at significant discount.

The local guy's I know who's only income is their photography (like wedding guy's) use the same old gear which consist of 4 or 5 of the same bodies till the wheels literally fall off them.... their cameras are duct taped, 12mp or under cameras that maybe 4-5 years old. They can't afford to chase the latest and greatest nor do they want to use unfamiliar gear every two to three months. I do product photography part time but I have investments and a decent retirement from a fortune 500 major industry to rely on so my photography monies just help pay for more toys.
Jim:

I think the reason for this constant churn is the possition of mirrorless cameras in the market place. Sony is attempting to displace an existing product (DSLRs) with a still developing product (A7 series). The A7 cameras have not yet matured to the point where each generation is only incrementally different from the last. Whole new features (IBIS, EFCS, etc.) are appearing with each new model so owners feel left behind and are willing to trade up to get these new features. I guess it's the curse of a new platform.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I would agree with John that Sony are still at a similar stage to Fuji have been recently in that they are making quite major tweaks and amendments to the platform to get it right. The A7II ticked pretty much all my boxes (ok, AF isn't on a par even now with a real DSLR), and hopefully even an A7R as it was plus the A7II updates would make me happy.

As regards the new sensor ... We'll have to wait and see.

My order goes in tomorrow.

iiiNelson

I agree with the above statements hence the "need" for more frequent updates as major technological advances occur. This isn't exclusive to Sony. Everyone does /did this although it happens less frequently with DSLR's and Rangefinders now. Technology is moving at a much faster pace than ever before. When it gets "there" the major updates and number of various models will slow down to target models for a particular price point/application.

In the mean time I'm happy with the updates that Sony has provided although I've skipped the A7II in hopes of this camera and a future A9.

jfirneno

In the mean time I'm happy with the updates that Sony has provided although I've skipped the A7II in hopes of this camera and a future A9.
Tre:
Yes, exactly. I think people sometimes forget that you can skip a couple of iterations (and wait 6 months for the price to fall) and still have a usable kit. Part of the problem is the overly enthusiastic descriptions that certain early reviewers give. I now rent these cutting edge cameras before buying. That way I only have myself to blame if it isn't what I thought it would be.

k-hawinkler

I wouldn't blame it on "overly enthusiastic descriptions that certain early reviewers give".
No, independent of them for me this is just exciting new technology that I want to get my hands on. :)

jfirneno

I wouldn't blame it on "overly enthusiastic descriptions that certain early reviewers give".
No, independent of them for me this is just exciting new technology that I want to get my hands on. :)
Well, I feel that for people who aren't familiar with the current state of mirrorless technology it's helpful to share with them what are some of the weaker aspects of these cameras. I know I appreciate getting helpful hints whenever I start out researching anything new. In the long run I think it helps to give the product a better reputation if people go into a purchase already knowing the strengths and weaknesses. But some of the early reviewers are way too enthusiastic. This can lead to unreasonably high expectations.

k-hawinkler

Thanks.
At this early stage I am not aware or reviews - only of, let's call them, infomercials for lack of a better word and Sony press releases.
Could you please point me to publications that deserve the description review? TIA.

jfirneno

Thanks.
At this early stage I am not aware or reviews - only of, let's call them, infomercials for lack of a better word and Sony press releases.
Could you please point me to publications that deserve the description review? TIA.
k-hawinkler:
I think there is a misunderstanding. I do not think you are inexperienced with the A7 cameras. I was speaking of folks who are new to Sony. You are already familiar with the A7 cameras.

Jim DE

Jim:

I think the reason for this constant churn is the possition of mirrorless cameras in the market place. Sony is attempting to displace an existing product (DSLRs) with a still developing product (A7 series). The A7 cameras have not yet matured to the point where each generation is only incrementally different from the last. Whole new features (IBIS, EFCS, etc.) are appearing with each new model so owners feel left behind and are willing to trade up to get these new features. I guess it's the curse of a new platform.

If this phenomenom only recently occurred with the introduction of the a7 line I would tend to agree with you but sadly it has been a roller coaster ride since the a900 and the introduction of the first SLT's. The wave of enthuesiasm then disgust to another models enthuesiasm to yet another degree of disgust a month or two later. Same goes for the lenses as well....... Bottomline is for some the excitement to photography is in the chase of technological advancements (that seem to never quench this thirst) where others it is in the capture of light with whatever they have in their hands. Both are all well and good and I am not telling anyone what they should enjoy about this activity it is just new readers need to recognize these differences in those posting and not click "buy" when they hear something is the best thing since buttered bread. Only to see the techno hoards that promoted XYZ running away from the product (they just bought a month or two ago) selling them at a loss in their hurry and buying the newer and greatest for this month model ABC or make MNO.

It is not just a a7 phenomenom unfortunately .........

jfirneno

If this phenomenom only recently occurred with the introduction of the a7 line I would tend to agree with you but sadly it has been a roller coaster ride since the a900 and the introduction of the first SLT's. The wave of enthuesiasm then disgust to another models enthuesiasm to yet another degree of disgust a month or two later. Same goes for the lenses as well....... Bottomline is for some the excitement to photography is in the chase of technological advancements (that seem to never quench this thirst) where others it is in the capture of light with whatever they have in their hands. Both are all well and good and I am not telling anyone what they should enjoy about this activity it is just new readers need to recognize these differences in those posting and not click "buy" when they hear something is the best thing since buttered bread. Only to see the techno hoards that promoted XYZ running away from the product (they just bought a month or two ago) selling them at a loss in their hurry and buying the newer and greatest for this month model ABC or make MNO.

I guess we each have our reasons for climbing onto the Sony fun-ride. When the A-850 came out it combined a full frame sensor, 24 mpix and IBIS for only $2,000. I thought I was getting a high end DSLR at a bargain price. I didn't anticipate SLT, NEX, e-mount adapters and all the other trials and tribulations of the Sony odyssey. But I have adapted and learned that I don't necessarily need every model (or even every technology). For instance I've never owned an SLT camera. I was tempted by the A-99 but when the results were analyzed I only saw about a half stop of better high ISO performance over my A-850 so I decided to wait. I do think I jumped the gun with the NEX-5N and the A7R but I'm very happy with the A7S camera for indoor photography, so 7 years later I have the upgrade I was looking for my A-850 (wow that's a long time between cameras). For the future, I'm hoping for a camera that will autofocus very accurately. I don't need 40 (or even 20) mpix. If Sony came out with an 18 mpix camera like the A7S that was excellent in the dark and also had good AF I'd be satisfied. Maybe Sony will make that camera or maybe it will be Samsung (or Apple, Nikon or Canon). If I knew in 2008 what I know now I'd have saved my pennies and bought a Nikon D3S. Just about now I'd be looking at what Sony is doing and deciding if it was something i was interested in. But these companies have their strategies and priorities and we have our needs and rationalizations for our decisions. Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

V

Vivek

The UN (foul word in some quarters, I know) made today the "international yoga day". Works wonders wrt GAS. :D

Godfrey

Devil's advocate here.

I've jumped off the Sony Ride entirely now. I felt the A7 was a good sensor and a decent EVF in a clunky body. The II model doesn't make me feel any different. It let me use my Leica R lenses, but I never really loved using it. I don't see that changing given Sony's pell-mell rush to introduce new products every seven months.

All my Sony stuff is sold and gone. Paring the kit down to the specifics I really like to work with, one thing at a time, is making me much happier.

G

iiiNelson

Devil's advocate here.

I've jumped off the Sony Ride entirely now. I felt the A7 was a good sensor and a decent EVF in a clunky body. The II model doesn't make me feel any different. It let me use my Leica R lenses, but I never really loved using it. I don't see that changing given Sony's pell-mell rush to introduce new products every seven months.

All my Sony stuff is sold and gone. Paring the kit down to the specifics I really like to work with, one thing at a time, is making me much happier.

G
Ironically that sort of why I got rid of my M. Great body to work with within the strengths of the system (focal lengths from 24-90mm) but once you need to do more outside of that there are other choices that are more befitting. Mirrorless or DSLR are your main choices to fill the needs.

I chose mirrorless for the ability to have more capable sensors than Leica currently offers and flexibility to mount the lenses I choose so that I'm not tied to Canon/Nikon exclusively. Yes I could've gone Micro 4/3 but as the saying goes - been there, done that, got the t-shirt, and moved on to Full Frame sensors only.