The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pre Order

Chris Giles

On the subject of the increased price, here in the uk the RRP of the A7ii is £1599 with the rii at £2599. I don't see it as THAT much more expensive for what is offered and I guess buying grey market would be significantly cheaper too.

But I am needing convincing to buy one. I've been testing out an A7ii and it's already not working properly (the left side of the jog wheel no longer clicks when pressed) and it's far from weatherproofed after a trip to Iceland. Four week old camera, already failing.

Also, no dual card slots and no thumb stick to move the AF points. Otherwise it would be a winner for me. I really do worry about the build quality though. Sony has always suffered in that regard and for the money I'd be looking for something tougher and more resilient. Right now it seems they've thrown all the cool gadgets they have into a body (and that's great) but not considered the practicalities of doing so or the market that will use the camera.

mazor

On the subject of the increased price, here in the uk the RRP of the A7ii is £1599 with the rii at £2599. I don't see it as THAT much more expensive for what is offered and I guess buying grey market would be significantly cheaper too.

But I am needing convincing to buy one. I've been testing out an A7ii and it's already not working properly (the left side of the jog wheel no longer clicks when pressed) and it's far from weatherproofed after a trip to Iceland. Four week old camera, already failing.

Also, no dual card slots and no thumb stick to move the AF points. Otherwise it would be a winner for me. I really do worry about the build quality though. Sony has always suffered in that regard and for the money I'd be looking for something tougher and more resilient. Right now it seems they've thrown all the cool gadgets they have into a body (and that's great) but not considered the practicalities of doing so or the market that will use the camera.
Hmm, with any new adopter of state of the art technology, there will be a premium price to be paid. The A7r ii is the first 42MP full frame BSI sensor released in the consumer market.

What camera do you use before the A7ii that had better weather sealing?

Suspect dual card slots may be reserved for an upcoming pro series Sony camera possible an A9.

Chris Giles

What camera do you use before the A7ii that had better weather sealing?
Anything I used before has better sealing. The 5D and 1D series being a perfect example. When you compare prices even though the features and sensor are arguably better they haven't considered pro usage, not really.

This seems a shame. Landscapers use these in the rain and wedding photographers love the thought of popping a 135L on it and shooting silently at 1/60 second.

I am looking to see these features pop up on the a9 but I have a sneaky feeling they won't or at least many will be absent.

Last edited:

Jim DE

Man, the Sony Store USA pre order window had to be the shortest window ever.... it could not of been more than 4 hours. I saw a post that the Sony store was taking orders and when I got home from work and tried to pre order it it was already back to notify when available.

I made a few calls being as I am on the pro support program but as of that night they stopped taking pre orders.........

Jim DE

Knorp, Don't worry.... with all the hype and internet chatter on this new a7rII I would expect a near similar experience as the second coming...... the skies will open, the angels will sing, and all old good cameras will rise from the rubbish and accent to the heavens. .... surely you can't sleep through that ;)

Knorp

Well, it seems I have to rely on the postman who is supposed the ring twice !
That'll do nicely I guess ... :grin:

Jim DE

I hope your info is correct....... what I am getting is 8/26 as it's release date ..... but we have all been through this before.... it will arrive when it is ready just like a fine wine :grin:

algrove

The closest thing I know of in the way of an honest "review" is what Brian Smith wrote up as his Field Test trial here: http://briansmith.com/field-test-sony-a7rii/ Full disclosure, Brian is a Sony Artisan of Imagery, so he is compensated by Sony to use and write about their products.

But Brian is an excellent "A List" commercial portrait and event photographer who I am proud to recommend and have known personally for over fifteen years to be honest and trustworthy in his photography advice as well as an excellent judge in his ability to critique camera gear.

I trust Brian's opinion both from his experience and also from his technical chops. Brian's access allowed him to literally "write the book" on the original A7R: http://thecameraforum.com/sony-a7-a7r-snapshots-great-shots/ Brian is a photographers photographer, a Pulitzer Prize winner. Photography sources don't come any better than Brian, in my opinion. Am I a Brian Smith fanboy? You bet I am. I think he is one of the best modern day portrait photographers going, but he is my friend so you would probably expect that. Judge for yourself by his work on his website.

Brian Smith is the only one of the bloggers I know of that has a close enough trust relationship with Sony that they work with him in developing their new camera gear. This gives Brian insights into the latest Sony technology and thinking the rest of us who only get a quick look at new tech before writing our initial impressions don't have.

Google rewards greatly those who get news out online first, so the rest of us have to rely on outside sources, our own contacts information, and yes, very much on the Sony and others press releases. This goes for myself, Huff, Petapixel, DpReview, F-Stoppers, Luminous, and all the rest who have already written something on the A7RII. We try our best as journalists, but nothing beats being an actual insider when it comes to writing about a particular manufacturer's new announced, but still unreleased, technology.

Have a GREAT day!

Chuck Jones
I enjoy your posts here. My only problem with the Brian Smith/Sony "partnership" is that he did not have enough respect from Sony to convince them not to release the A7RII camera without uncompressed Raw files.:grin::wtf::grin:

k-hawinkler

K-H
Honesty combined with GAS.
Hi Lou.

It's simply great technology development by Sony and their partners.
I would like to find out for myself whether it actually works.
No GAS though! Just interest in technology. :grin:

You mean that new technology can also take better pictures? :clap:
That seems an added bonus, most welcome indeed if true! :thumbs:

BTW, I never believed B&H's promised delivery data of late July.
Amazon from the beginning said late August. That's just fine with me.
So hopefully some folks get the A7RII a little earlier and let the rest of us know what they find; the good, the bad, and the ugly - if necessary!
It seems fairly easy to cancel an order with Amazon. So far I never had to.
I had to send back once one disk drive though that was DOA. A painless affair!

Jim DE

I just got a call and the Sony Store USA has them back in stock for pre order..... Shipping date will be 8/4/15. Mine is coming free next day shipping and got a vertical grip and 2 batteries for it being delivered Wed.

If you use their customer service when ordering you get 15% in free accessories just a FYI... 15% of $3199.99 is a significant savings.

Jim DE

I have seen post's where Sony NZ, Sony Europe, and Sony UK have sent notice of a delay in their estimated pre-order shipping dates. Has anyone in the USA gotten a Dear John letter from a retailer as of yet?

I had to call the Sony Store on another item the other day and whuile I had a CS on the line I asked them to check to see if the best. ship date had been changed and they reaffirmed the Aug 4th est. ship date. But, we all know CS reps and the info they are given from the main company can change in a second. :(