The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon EF adapters

iiiNelson

Does anyone know if there is any other adapter out there that allows updated other than the metabones?

Has anyone tested this guy out? I'm specially interested in tests with FE cameras.

- DEO-Tech Falcon Canon EF Mount Lens to Sony NEX DEOCEF2SEMK2 B&H
- DEO-Tech CANON EOS EF to SONY E / FE AF Adapter Mark 3 [Falcon]
I believe the consensus is that Metabones makes the best Canon EF->Sony FE smart adapter. I believe that company makes an AF Contax G->Sony FE adapter with "mixed" performance.

tbhv55

A request for help, from a (potential) newbie to all this...:confused: ;).

I'm considering switching from Canon EOS (FF) to Sony A7, and I'd like to retain use of my EF prime lenses, but I'm having trouble finding out whether this is possible (and practicable).

Is there an adapter available that will provide truly normal aperture functionality for EOS lenses on the A7 series? I'm not so concerned about AF, since I often prefer to focus manually, but if the adapter also permits AF, then that's fine too. I would not keep an EOS body, so the palaver involving setting the aperture on an EOS body, before using the lens, is out of the question for me.

Any help gratefully received... TIA.

Annna T

A request for help, from a (potential) newbie to all this...:confused: ;).

I'm considering switching from Canon EOS (FF) to Sony A7, and I'd like to retain use of my EF prime lenses, but I'm having trouble finding out whether this is possible (and practicable).

Is there an adapter available that will provide truly normal aperture functionality for EOS lenses on the A7 series? I'm not so concerned about AF, since I often prefer to focus manually, but if the adapter also permits AF, then that's fine too. I would not keep an EOS body, so the palaver involving setting the aperture on an EOS body, before using the lens, is out of the question for me.

Any help gratefully received... TIA.
There are two kinds of adapters : smart adapters and dumb adapters.
The first ones allow you to : 1) control aperture on the A7 bodies. 2) get the Exif info in your pictures (lens used and aperture). 3) get the OIS working on lenses offering that possibility. 4) get AF, but on the A7r, the focusing operations while producing correct results are very slow. Aka, forget anything that moves, or that you can't prefocus on. The A7rII is supposed to be much faster even with Canon adapted lenses. But from the few videos I have seen, although the AF speed is much improved with respect to the older A7bodies, they aren't yet matching native lenses.

The most known smart adapters are the Metabones. Make sure that you get the last 4th version. They are expensive however. I own a version three, because I was a rather early adopter (and transfuge from Canon). There is at least another brand (Comlite ?) but I have no experience with it.

The dumb adapters are much cheaper (and probably also lighter), but you are stuck for aperture.. Beware that some adapters will be offering aperture control on the adapter.. But usually they only add a diaphragm inside of the adapter causing vignetting at best, or even IQ degradation in the corners. They won't control the aperture of the lens itself.

I own an A7r since March 2014 and I'm really enjoying it (I do still have a 6D, but almost didn't use it since I got the A7r). I love everything from the mirrorless bodies. In particular the EVF and the small light bodies. I don't use much of my Canon lenses on the A7r, but mine weren't that good : the 16-35mm F2.8 version I for instance is not as good as the Sony 16-35mm F4, even for astrophotography. One lens I like is the Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 macro. Plus the TSE lenses. The 70-200mm F4 however produce better results than the Sony FE 70-200mm F4 which is bigger and heavier.

tbhv55

There are two kinds of adapters : smart adapters and dumb adapters.
The first ones allow you to : 1) control aperture on the A7 bodies. 2) get the Exif info in your pictures (lens used and aperture). 3) get the OIS working on lenses offering that possibility. 4) get AF, but on the A7r, the focusing operations while producing correct results are very slow. Aka, forget anything that moves, or that you can't prefocus on. The A7rII is supposed to be much faster even with Canon adapted lenses. But from the few videos I have seen, although the AF speed is much improved with respect to the older A7bodies, they aren't yet matching native lenses.

The most known smart adapters are the Metabones. Make sure that you get the last 4th version. They are expensive however. I own a version three, because I was a rather early adopter (and transfuge from Canon). There is at least another brand (Comlite ?) but I have no experience with it.

The dumb adapters are much cheaper (and probably also lighter), but you are stuck for aperture.. Beware that some adapters will be offering aperture control on the adapter.. But usually they only add a diaphragm inside of the adapter causing vignetting at best, or even IQ degradation in the corners. They won't control the aperture of the lens itself.

I own an A7r since March 2014 and I'm really enjoying it (I do still have a 6D, but almost didn't use it since I got the A7r). I love everything from the mirrorless bodies. In particular the EVF and the small light bodies. I don't use much of my Canon lenses on the A7r, but mine weren't that good : the 16-35mm F2.8 version I for instance is not as good as the Sony 16-35mm F4, even for astrophotography. One lens I like is the Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 macro. Plus the TSE lenses. The 70-200mm F4 however produce better results than the Sony FE 70-200mm F4 which is bigger and heavier.

Many thanks for such a comprehensive reply.:thumbup:

The "dumb" adapters are definitely out, for me, because of the aperture problem. I'll investigate the "smart" ones, and see what more I can learn, and what their prices are. The price is relevant (isn't it always?!), with regard to making the whole endeavour worthwhile... if it's too much, I might simply stay with Canon for FF purposes.

Thanks again, Annna T, for taking the time to help - it's much appreciated.

Annna T

Many thanks for such a comprehensive reply.:thumbup:

The "dumb" adapters are definitely out, for me, because of the aperture problem. I'll investigate the "smart" ones, and see what more I can learn, and what their prices are. The price is relevant (isn't it always?!), with regard to making the whole endeavour worthwhile... if it's too much, I might simply stay with Canon for FF purposes.

Thanks again, Annna T, for taking the time to help - it's much appreciated.
I forgot one important thing : A7 bodies feature an E mount, aka exactly the same mount as the Nex and other mirrorless APSC models like the A6000. But you gave to make sure that you get an adapter compatible with FE mounts. Some adapters made for earlier for APSC E mounts may not have a wide enough aperture, with internal baffles producing vignetting on the A7 FF bodies. Look on eBay : vendors often produces many pictures of what they are selling and you may be able to look in the middle and compare the different adapters. If the adapter us too cheap, it may be because it is not fully compatible with a FF, or not the last version.

tbhv55

I forgot one important thing : A7 bodies feature an E mount, aka exactly the same mount as the Nex and other mirrorless APSC models like the A6000. But you gave to make sure that you get an adapter compatible with FE mounts. Some adapters made for earlier for APSC E mounts may not have a wide enough aperture, with internal baffles producing vignetting on the A7 FF bodies. Look on eBay : vendors often produces many pictures of what they are selling and you may be able to look in the middle and compare the different adapters. If the adapter us too cheap, it may be because it is not fully compatible with a FF, or not the last version.
That's great - thanks again for yet more useful information.