The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What I would like..

V

Vivek

A NEX-C3 (best) or NEX-5N sized monochrome camera with silent shutter and one of the latest backlit sensors. It would be too much of a luxury for me. Since there is little to go around in terms of satisfactory compact lenses for NEX (Had the 16/2.8 years ago and dismantled it totally, also a broke a Sigma 30/2.8DN, never bought the 20/2.8) I have assembled a set of ultra compact lenses that will all fit in my pockets, some even in a wallet.

If they add a phone to this then "I will be done" with it. :grin:

Last edited:

pegelli

I would buy one if it's "sensibly" priced. One step closer to walking around 45 years ago with a IIIf loaded with ADOX and carrying some yellow and orange filters. These colour filters would again be useful for such a camera, see if I can find them back on my attic.

EDIT: one additional thought. I wouldn't mind it being a NEX6 / A6000n type model with a viewfinder. I appreciate that a lot for manual focusing.

V

Vivek

I think the rumored A7000 will have the EVF, (expected) backlit sensor as well and hopefully a silent shutter mode. I can live with that although it will not be as compact as the smallest of the NEX' ever, the NEX-C3.

V

Vivek

I've been asking for a camera like this for a while but Sony don't seem to be listening.
There is a market for it among amateur astronomers in addition to photographers. A plain vanilla sensor with no microlenses and no AA filter would do just fine. :)

mazor

would be interesting for Sony to bring out a monochrome camera! There really is no competitor for the Leica yet, who seems to be the only manufacturer to care about a dedicated black and white camera.

Wonder if there is a way to dismantle and mod an existing nex 5 camera and remove or replace the color filter in front. If it was possible, would setting the Nex to black and white only photography be beneficial, ie, will it get close to the Leica Monochrome for black and white performance? Also would there be a plugin to decode the RAW output to bypass filtering via Bayer interpolation?

Tim

I would like a true mono camera, I will try any brand who make such a camera if I can afford it. The Leica is too much for my wallet.

You can get a virtually true mono digital under US$1K and IMO better IQ than the Monochrom in the DPxMerrills.
Look at the IQ here and in this thread - http://www.getdpi.com/forum/644332-post155.html
The Merrill's main limitation is ISO but PeterB wrote how to improve ISO from this by using taking only the B-Channel data here - http://www.getdpi.com/forum/other-cameras/46298-foveon-sensor-better-high-iso-than-i-thought.html?highlight=4000

Peters post should be a sticky at the top of this site.

The issues for some with the Merrills is fixed lenses.

Jim DE

A NEX-C3 (best) or NEX-5N sized monochrome camera with silent shutter and one of the latest backlit sensors. It would be too much of a luxury for me. Since there is little to go around in terms of satisfactory compact lenses for NEX (Had the 16/2.8 years ago and dismantled it totally, also a broke a Sigma 30/2.8DN, never bought the 20/2.8) I have assembled a set of ultra compact lenses that will all fit in my pockets, some even in a wallet.

If they add a phone to this then "I will be done" with it. :grin:

I would actually like to see a upgraded NEX7 with the same form and function on the exterior controls (like the Tri-nav system which I got very accustom in using with legacy glass) but with a upgraded sensor capable of using wider angle legacy glass without smearing or color cast. I bought into the NEX system because of its IQ and small size. I would like to see Sony not abandon this size interchangeable lens camera system. I still use my NEX7 with a CG45mm and a CG90mm lens for my hike in scenic stuff. The TriNav system works great when used like this....once you got the hang of it ;)

As far as a monochrome.. I use my Sigma DP2m for that .....

serhan

I was waiting for GR sensor update but they skipped it. Sigma's are nice, but too slow. I use gm5 with m43 primes and works great with silent shutter. It looses half a stop dynamic range with e-shutter, since the sensor reading is faster at 12b and there is no noticeable rolling shutter in comparison to gx7, etc. I like its size, similar to RX100 iii. Last Saturday we were on a fishing trip and got soaked and the camera w/ 14-140mm was in my raincoat pocket with no problem. This was one shot of NYC from Long Island Sound @ 280mm:

V

Vivek

I would like a true mono camera, I will try any brand who make such a camera if I can afford it. The Leica is too much for my wallet.

You can get a virtually true mono digital under US$1K and IMO better IQ than the Monochrom in the DPxMerrills.
Look at the IQ here and in this thread - http://www.getdpi.com/forum/644332-post155.html
The Merrill's main limitation is ISO but PeterB wrote how to improve ISO from this by using taking only the B-Channel data here - http://www.getdpi.com/forum/other-cameras/46298-foveon-sensor-better-high-iso-than-i-thought.html?highlight=4000

Peters post should be a sticky at the top of this site.

The issues for some with the Merrills is fixed lenses.
Sigma do offer an interchangeable lens camera. There are fewer takers for it.
The debayered bayer sensors do well very well. Also, I don'tknow of anyone using the Sigma sensors for astro, scientific and related applications.

Tim

Sigma do offer an interchangeable lens camera. There are fewer takers for it.
The debayered bayer sensors do well very well. Also, I don'tknow of anyone using the Sigma sensors for astro, scientific and related applications.
Yes, you are correct the Sigma sensor is not good for low light astro applications.

What I would like to see is Panasonic make a FF and/or a APS Leica M-Mount camera with an EVF in both a colour and BW version.
Put in focus peaking, weather seal it, done. Think Epson RD1.

I think Panasonic can make cameras better and cheaper than Leica but make it M-Mount as we have lens options galore.
Leica and Panasonic are partners after all and they do a lot of badge engineering.

iiiNelson

Yes, you are correct the Sigma sensor is not good for low light astro applications.

What I would like to see is Panasonic make a FF and/or a APS Leica M-Mount camera with an EVF in both a colour and BW version.

I think Panasonic can make cameras better and cheaper than Leica but make it M-Mount as we have lens options galore.
Leica and Panasonic are partners after all and they do a lot of badge engineering.
While I agree with you and general prefer the Panasonic output to Olympus' output in regards to Micro 4/3 there are many that view Panasonic as nothing more than an electronics company no matter if they make great cameras or not. They have the same issue on a smaller scale that Sony has where historical photographic pedigree is concerned. No matter how good of a product you may create (quirks aside) there are some that just won't accept it as a capable photographic tool even when there's photographic evidence of the capability.

V

Vivek

Sony have the sensors. I do not want Sigma, Panasonic, etc. I had the Epson RD1s. very expensive at that time. Do not be mislead by the current used prices!
Sony NEX-5NM is in India now. Carry everywhere B/W camera.:)

Tim

While I agree with you and general prefer the Panasonic output to Olympus' output in regards to Micro 4/3 there are many that view Panasonic as nothing more than an electronics company no matter if they make great cameras or not. They have the same issue on a smaller scale that Sony has where historical photographic pedigree is concerned. No matter how good of a product you may create (quirks aside) there are some that just won't accept it as a capable photographic tool even when there's photographic evidence of the capability.
Yes, I can see your point here.
I guess I'd be happy if any Japanese company made a M-Mount FF camera it does not have to be Panasonic.
I only picked on them as they are kind of partnered with Leica so most likely to get a green light.
I would like to see it native M-Mount not m43 or E or other with adapter.

Perhaps if Fuji made a FF M-mount version of the X-Pro it would have more acceptance?
I guess you still will have issues with how well a lens works with another sensor. The adapted superwides on Sony A7 / A7r was a big issue.

iiiNelson

Yes, I can see your point here.
I guess I'd be happy if any Japanese company made a M-Mount FF camera it does not have to be Panasonic.
I only picked on them as they are kind of partnered with Leica so most likely to get a green light.
I would like to see it native M-Mount not m43 or E or other with adapter.

Perhaps if Fuji made a FF M-mount version of the X-Pro it would have more acceptance?
I guess you still will have issues with how well a lens works with another sensor. The adapted superwides on Sony A7 / A7r was a big issue.
Depends on the lens and camera model. Many people have shown that doing the cover glass modification improves resolution across the board with all M lenses. Should be too difficult to find a used FE body (now or in the near future where many will dump their body for the new model) to modify at a great price if you are going to use it exclusively with M lenses.

V

Vivek

Since I started about a monochrome camera, let me add here that any lens would work, including LOMOs and pinhole variety. I even bought the famous Sony 16/2.8 (again) to use on myNEX-5NM! :shocked:

iiiNelson

Since I started about a monochrome camera, let me add here that any lens would work, including LOMOs and pinhole variety. I even bought the famous Sony 16/2.8 (again) to use on myNEX-5NM! :shocked:
I too would love a monochrome camera but make mine an A7RIIm... That would be a dream camera for me.