Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: What I would like..

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,594
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    What I would like..

    A NEX-C3 (best) or NEX-5N sized monochrome camera with silent shutter and one of the latest backlit sensors. It would be too much of a luxury for me. Since there is little to go around in terms of satisfactory compact lenses for NEX (Had the 16/2.8 years ago and dismantled it totally, also a broke a Sigma 30/2.8DN, never bought the 20/2.8) I have assembled a set of ultra compact lenses that will all fit in my pockets, some even in a wallet.

    If they add a phone to this then "I will be done" with it.
    Last edited by Vivek; 23rd June 2015 at 03:19.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #2
    Senior Member pegelli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,116
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What I would like..

    I would buy one if it's "sensibly" priced. One step closer to walking around 45 years ago with a IIIf loaded with ADOX and carrying some yellow and orange filters. These colour filters would again be useful for such a camera, see if I can find them back on my attic.


    EDIT: one additional thought. I wouldn't mind it being a NEX6 / A6000n type model with a viewfinder. I appreciate that a lot for manual focusing.
    My Pics
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,594
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: What I would like..

    I think the rumored A7000 will have the EVF, (expected) backlit sensor as well and hopefully a silent shutter mode. I can live with that although it will not be as compact as the smallest of the NEX' ever, the NEX-C3.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Slingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    457
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What I would like..

    I've been asking for a camera like this for a while but Sony don't seem to be listening.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #5
    Senior Member 4season's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colorado USA
    Posts
    518
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What I would like..

    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,594
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: What I would like..

    Quote Originally Posted by Slingers View Post
    I've been asking for a camera like this for a while but Sony don't seem to be listening.
    There is a market for it among amateur astronomers in addition to photographers. A plain vanilla sensor with no microlenses and no AA filter would do just fine.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,446
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What I would like..

    would be interesting for Sony to bring out a monochrome camera! There really is no competitor for the Leica yet, who seems to be the only manufacturer to care about a dedicated black and white camera.

    Wonder if there is a way to dismantle and mod an existing nex 5 camera and remove or replace the color filter in front. If it was possible, would setting the Nex to black and white only photography be beneficial, ie, will it get close to the Leica Monochrome for black and white performance? Also would there be a plugin to decode the RAW output to bypass filtering via Bayer interpolation?

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,594
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: What I would like..

    Mazor, check the B/W thread. I am lucky to own a NEX-5N monochrome (done by maxmax). It is delicious. (I also use a Leica MM)

    If you are brave enough to sacrifice a few cams (absolutely no guarantee though!) read this:
    Debayering a DSLR's Bayer matrix. - DIY Astronomer - Stargazers Lounge
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #9
    Senior Member Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What I would like..

    I would like a true mono camera, I will try any brand who make such a camera if I can afford it. The Leica is too much for my wallet.

    You can get a virtually true mono digital under US$1K and IMO better IQ than the Monochrom in the DPxMerrills.
    Look at the IQ here and in this thread - http://www.getdpi.com/forum/644332-post155.html
    The Merrill's main limitation is ISO but PeterB wrote how to improve ISO from this by using taking only the B-Channel data here - http://www.getdpi.com/forum/other-ca...highlight=4000

    Peters post should be a sticky at the top of this site.

    The issues for some with the Merrills is fixed lenses.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  10. #10
    Senior Member Slingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    457
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What I would like..

    I would consider any buying into any brand that brings a cheaper monotone than leica as well.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    933
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What I would like..

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    A NEX-C3 (best) or NEX-5N sized monochrome camera with silent shutter and one of the latest backlit sensors. It would be too much of a luxury for me. Since there is little to go around in terms of satisfactory compact lenses for NEX (Had the 16/2.8 years ago and dismantled it totally, also a broke a Sigma 30/2.8DN, never bought the 20/2.8) I have assembled a set of ultra compact lenses that will all fit in my pockets, some even in a wallet.

    If they add a phone to this then "I will be done" with it.

    I would actually like to see a upgraded NEX7 with the same form and function on the exterior controls (like the Tri-nav system which I got very accustom in using with legacy glass) but with a upgraded sensor capable of using wider angle legacy glass without smearing or color cast. I bought into the NEX system because of its IQ and small size. I would like to see Sony not abandon this size interchangeable lens camera system. I still use my NEX7 with a CG45mm and a CG90mm lens for my hike in scenic stuff. The TriNav system works great when used like this....once you got the hang of it

    As far as a monochrome.. I use my Sigma DP2m for that .....

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What I would like..

    I was waiting for GR sensor update but they skipped it. Sigma's are nice, but too slow. I use gm5 with m43 primes and works great with silent shutter. It looses half a stop dynamic range with e-shutter, since the sensor reading is faster at 12b and there is no noticeable rolling shutter in comparison to gx7, etc. I like its size, similar to RX100 iii. Last Saturday we were on a fishing trip and got soaked and the camera w/ 14-140mm was in my raincoat pocket with no problem. This was one shot of NYC from Long Island Sound @ 280mm:

    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  13. #13
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,594
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: What I would like..

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I would like a true mono camera, I will try any brand who make such a camera if I can afford it. The Leica is too much for my wallet.

    You can get a virtually true mono digital under US$1K and IMO better IQ than the Monochrom in the DPxMerrills.
    Look at the IQ here and in this thread - http://www.getdpi.com/forum/644332-post155.html
    The Merrill's main limitation is ISO but PeterB wrote how to improve ISO from this by using taking only the B-Channel data here - http://www.getdpi.com/forum/other-ca...highlight=4000

    Peters post should be a sticky at the top of this site.

    The issues for some with the Merrills is fixed lenses.
    Sigma do offer an interchangeable lens camera. There are fewer takers for it.
    The debayered bayer sensors do well very well. Also, I don'tknow of anyone using the Sigma sensors for astro, scientific and related applications.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What I would like..

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Sigma do offer an interchangeable lens camera. There are fewer takers for it.
    The debayered bayer sensors do well very well. Also, I don'tknow of anyone using the Sigma sensors for astro, scientific and related applications.
    Yes, you are correct the Sigma sensor is not good for low light astro applications.

    What I would like to see is Panasonic make a FF and/or a APS Leica M-Mount camera with an EVF in both a colour and BW version.
    Put in focus peaking, weather seal it, done. Think Epson RD1.

    I think Panasonic can make cameras better and cheaper than Leica but make it M-Mount as we have lens options galore.
    Leica and Panasonic are partners after all and they do a lot of badge engineering.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  15. #15
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,182
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What I would like..

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Yes, you are correct the Sigma sensor is not good for low light astro applications.

    What I would like to see is Panasonic make a FF and/or a APS Leica M-Mount camera with an EVF in both a colour and BW version.
    Put in focus peaking, weather seal it, done. Think Epson RD1.

    I think Panasonic can make cameras better and cheaper than Leica but make it M-Mount as we have lens options galore.
    Leica and Panasonic are partners after all and they do a lot of badge engineering.
    While I agree with you and general prefer the Panasonic output to Olympus' output in regards to Micro 4/3 there are many that view Panasonic as nothing more than an electronics company no matter if they make great cameras or not. They have the same issue on a smaller scale that Sony has where historical photographic pedigree is concerned. No matter how good of a product you may create (quirks aside) there are some that just won't accept it as a capable photographic tool even when there's photographic evidence of the capability.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  16. #16
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,594
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: What I would like..

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Yes, you are correct the Sigma sensor is not good for low light astro applications.

    What I would like to see is Panasonic make a FF and/or a APS Leica M-Mount camera with an EVF in both a colour and BW version.
    Put in focus peaking, weather seal it, done. Think Epson RD1.

    I think Panasonic can make cameras better and cheaper than Leica but make it M-Mount as we have lens options galore.
    Leica and Panasonic are partners after all and they do a lot of badge engineering.
    Sony have the sensors. I do not want Sigma, Panasonic, etc. I had the Epson RD1s. very expensive at that time. Do not be mislead by the current used prices!
    Sony NEX-5NM is in India now. Carry everywhere B/W camera.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,040
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What I would like..

    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    While I agree with you and general prefer the Panasonic output to Olympus' output in regards to Micro 4/3 there are many that view Panasonic as nothing more than an electronics company no matter if they make great cameras or not. They have the same issue on a smaller scale that Sony has where historical photographic pedigree is concerned. No matter how good of a product you may create (quirks aside) there are some that just won't accept it as a capable photographic tool even when there's photographic evidence of the capability.
    Yes, I can see your point here.
    I guess I'd be happy if any Japanese company made a M-Mount FF camera it does not have to be Panasonic.
    I only picked on them as they are kind of partnered with Leica so most likely to get a green light.
    I would like to see it native M-Mount not m43 or E or other with adapter.

    Perhaps if Fuji made a FF M-mount version of the X-Pro it would have more acceptance?
    I guess you still will have issues with how well a lens works with another sensor. The adapted superwides on Sony A7 / A7r was a big issue.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  18. #18
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,182
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What I would like..

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Yes, I can see your point here.
    I guess I'd be happy if any Japanese company made a M-Mount FF camera it does not have to be Panasonic.
    I only picked on them as they are kind of partnered with Leica so most likely to get a green light.
    I would like to see it native M-Mount not m43 or E or other with adapter.

    Perhaps if Fuji made a FF M-mount version of the X-Pro it would have more acceptance?
    I guess you still will have issues with how well a lens works with another sensor. The adapted superwides on Sony A7 / A7r was a big issue.
    Depends on the lens and camera model. Many people have shown that doing the cover glass modification improves resolution across the board with all M lenses. Should be too difficult to find a used FE body (now or in the near future where many will dump their body for the new model) to modify at a great price if you are going to use it exclusively with M lenses.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  19. #19
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,594
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: What I would like..

    Since I started about a monochrome camera, let me add here that any lens would work, including LOMOs and pinhole variety. I even bought the famous Sony 16/2.8 (again) to use on myNEX-5NM!

  20. #20
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,182
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What I would like..

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Since I started about a monochrome camera, let me add here that any lens would work, including LOMOs and pinhole variety. I even bought the famous Sony 16/2.8 (again) to use on myNEX-5NM!
    I too would love a monochrome camera but make mine an A7RIIm... That would be a dream camera for me.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •