The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rodenstock/Schneider lens info/experience with view cameras and A7r

scho

On the Universalis, the widest tech lens would be the 32mm Rodenstock. You can reach infinity with the 23 or 28mm Rodenstock.

You can read a bit more on the use of the Schneiders and the Rrodenstocks on the older DSLR2 Arca, in this article. The Universalis is lighter and has a few different features, but the lens results should be the same.

404 Not Found

Paul
Same with the Actus, but you also need to use a special rear standard with fixed wide angle bellows.

Mark Muse

Is this creek tributary to the upper Delaware on the PA side? I forget the name of the falls, but this looks soooo familiar. My photograph of it, not a nice as this one, appears in the Park Sevice brochure.

scho

Is this creek tributary to the upper Delaware on the PA side? I forget the name of the falls, but this looks soooo familiar. My photograph of it, not a nice as this one, appears in the Park Sevice brochure.
No, this small stream is a tributary to Enfield Creek located in Upper Treman Park near Ithaca, NY.

MrSmith

interesting to see the apo grandagon 70 and 90 perform well, I have 60 and 80 lenses so far so they don't really fit in at the moment as I have other focal lengths to buy first.
I think I'm going to look out for a 45mm sironar digital 4.5 secondhand as in the studio I'll probably use that more than a 35 plus there's the issue of infinity focus issue with 35 and below (possibly not an issue for tabletop)
I was looking at the mamiya 120 macro too but have to factor in the higher cost of the mamiya lens plate which puts me some way towards a 120 aspheric so not decided on that length yet.

The 35's and even the Rodie 32 will focus fine with the Sony on an Actus, Universalis or M2. I had the 45mm Sironar Digital and found it subpar. I eventually swapped it out with the newer SK 43mm Digitar XL which was great (on an IQ260).

CB

MrSmith

Sub-par in what way? Resolving power or shift performance on MFD? I'll be wanting to use it on an A7r and i guess a MkII. I'm not looking for huge shifts I just want it to be sharp at f8 and not loads of chromatic abhorration. I see my copy of the 90mm T-SE as the benchmark, it's better than any other canon lens I own including the 24 T-SE II. The Schneider 80mm digitar is better still. I'm not about to spend big money on a 40-45 though as the still-life jobs I shoot are usually in the 60-120mm range. Maybe a mamiya lens would be a better option? The Hassleblad 40mm (most recent version) is quite pricy and heavy if I want to do any landscapes.

Resolving power and image circle. Mind you I was shooting on an IQ260 (well, P65+ at the time). I thought the lens was ok on a P45+ so maybe it'll be fine on the A7rII. If you can, I'd go for the SK43. I've moved to 'Blad glass and really like the 40 CFe a lot, but yes as pricey used as the others new. One thing I really prefer about is that it doesn't require a Lens Cast Correction, which the view camera lenses totally do on my A7r.

CB

PeterA

I've recently acquired some 'Blad glass for my Arca Universalis A7r kit. I tested them against my Schneiders and Rodenstocks, finding that they performed just as well. I'm so happy with this kit, that I've just sold my Rm3d, lenses and IQ260.

Keep in mind you do NOT need to ba able to cock the 'Blad lens shutters, as you'll be using the Sony's built-in shutter.

If you really want view camera lenses, the Rodenstock 55mm is a bargain and a hell of a perfomer. The SK 43mm XL Digi is newer and better than the 47mm, though not really a bargain and will def require an LCC.

CB

the glass kit for the Sony... :)

Hi Chris
Interesting move on your part coming from a a bloke who has invested a lot in his architecture shooting set ups ...

- how do you find your system manages the weight of the MF glass?
I am just about to pull the trigger on the Cambo version ( since Arca is unobtainium here in Australia) and would love to be able to use all my Schneiders/Rodenstock glass along with MamiyaRZ/HasselbladV and Leica lenses...I would love to see if Cambo ever bring out a Rollie lens board- since I have a ton of that stuff as well ..

I am hoping that there was a reason why I kept all this stuff I haven't used for years...
Thanks
Pete

Leigh

so far i have purchased a schenider 80mm apo-digitar f4 that supposedly doesn't have the resolving power for a 5micron pixel pitch but the results are very impressive even with big shifts and it’s an excellent lens...
A 5 micron pixel pitch is 100 line pairs/mm in real photographic terms.

Any top-of-the-line Schneider or Rodenstock lens will handle that.

I shoot almost exclusively Rodenstock on the 4x5 and 8x10 cameras, and have no problem resolving detail at that level.

Sinaron lenses are Rodenstocks.

- Leigh

vjbelle

I've recently acquired some 'Blad glass for my Arca Universalis A7r kit. I tested them against my Schneiders and Rodenstocks, finding that they performed just as well. I'm so happy with this kit, that I've just sold my Rm3d, lenses and IQ260.

Keep in mind you do NOT need to ba able to cock the 'Blad lens shutters, as you'll be using the Sony's built-in shutter.

If you really want view camera lenses, the Rodenstock 55mm is a bargain and a hell of a perfomer. The SK 43mm XL Digi is newer and better than the 47mm, though not really a bargain and will def require an LCC.

CB
I am amazed at your results as mine are extremely different. Although not an A7r I do have an 800e which is basically the same sensor and my results with Blad lenses has been a big disappointment. My 60mm is unusable. The 80mm is just barely passable. My 120mm is unusable. My 180mm is the best of the bunch but still not up to par with any Digitar that I own. The basic issues are smearing - sometimes very radical - on edges...... sometimes coming way into the image. There must be some radical differences in the sensor glass cover between the two sensors to account for my results being so different from yours. I had these same issues when using Leica M wides on my now sold a7r. Anything I had under 50mm was totally unusable. I am, though, very encouraged with your results and will test the new Sony with my Blad lenses once the camera body is available. Still, though, am completely shocked at our opposite results.......

Victor

MrSmith

So today I shot with a new (to me) lens that I purchased from eBay last week. A Schneider 120 apo digitar N. Was looking for a macro but this lens was not expensive so decided to purchase and give it a whirl.
Shoot was of watch movements but not true 1:1 macro so was expecting the lens to work fine with the whole watch including half the strap in frame, needed the longer rail and bellows to focus, in short the lens is fantastic with zero chromatic abhorations, it's a step above the 80mm I have.
I used tilt and then focus stacked but also did a shot with shift L/R stitch at higher magnification getting close to true 1:1 macro, this just at f11 in one shot.
just a test for the client who wants to do a large print for an exhibition, quality seemed good but if I was doing a lot of work this close up I would buy/rent a macro version.
I still haven't bought a 40mm though :grin:

Really pleased with Actus/Schneider/A7r combo, the results are better than any 'normal' 35mm setup due to the tilt/swing and parallax free L/R shift on the rear standard.

Mark Muse

I am amazed at your results as mine are extremely different. Although not an A7r I do have an 800e which is basically the same sensor and my results with Blad lenses has been a big disappointment. My 60mm is unusable. The 80mm is just barely passable. My 120mm is unusable. My 180mm is the best of the bunch but still not up to par with any Digitar that I own. The basic issues are smearing - sometimes very radical - on edges...... sometimes coming way into the image. There must be some radical differences in the sensor glass cover between the two sensors to account for my results being so different from yours. I had these same issues when using Leica M wides on my now sold a7r. Anything I had under 50mm was totally unusable. I am, though, very encouraged with your results and will test the new Sony with my Blad lenses once the camera body is available. Still, though, am completely shocked at our opposite results.......

Victor
I think the antialias undo scheme in the 800e really messes with imaging in some circumstances, particularly oblique ray angles. I had a hell of a time with what I thought was field curvature with a Zeiss 21 ZF.2 on the 800e. But on the A7r and A7II the problem evaporated.

gazwas

So today I shot with a new (to me) lens that I purchased from eBay last week. A Schneider 120 apo digitar N. Was looking for a macro but this lens was not expensive so decided to purchase and give it a whirl.
I just knew you'd be the one who won that lens - I very nearly bid as it looked in great shape and at a great price but resisted as I don't have a camera to use it with yet.

MrSmith

Does anyone have a schneider 35mm apo digitar and use it with the normal not wide angle rear standard on the actus? i’m considering this lens for studio based tabletop shooting and was wondering if it will focus from 2-6ft camera-object distance? i think its not able to do infinity focus but would like to know where it will start to be usable?

Does anyone have a schneider 35mm apo digitar and use it with the normal not wide angle rear standard on the actus? i’m considering this lens for studio based tabletop shooting and was wondering if it will focus from 2-6ft camera-object distance? i think its not able to do infinity focus but would like to know where it will start to be usable?
It'll focus (because the rear element is small enough to fit inside the rear standard's hole) but it won't allow for much movement. Which, for your a7r, is probably best, because moving much outside the center is going to cause a great deal of detail smearing. The APO-Digitar 47XL appears to be a bit better about this so, while longer, it gives more usable IC to Sony-shooters. The Grandagon 35 was a little bit better than both the Schneiders in those regards, but you don't get 2-6 feet out of that lens even with the ACB-310. 2-6 inches (from the front of the lens) is closer to the truth.

If it has to be 35, then my recommendation would be to look at a Pentax or Mamiya 645 lens, though you'd be better off with a Hasselblad CF/CFi 40, which is excellent but not well corrected for color aberrations. Personally, if I need to maximize the IC for close-focusing, I go my APO-Sironar-Digital 55 (used to be the Grandagon before it got stepped on by a moose). It's excellent across the board close up. If I can live with a smaller IC (60mm usable), I will turn to my relatively new-to-me APO-Rodagon-N 50, which is a tiny little powerhouse.

Hi Chris
Interesting move on your part coming from a a bloke who has invested a lot in his architecture shooting set ups ...

- how do you find your system manages the weight of the MF glass?
I am just about to pull the trigger on the Cambo version ( since Arca is unobtainium here in Australia) and would love to be able to use all my Schneiders/Rodenstock glass along with MamiyaRZ/HasselbladV and Leica lenses...I would love to see if Cambo ever bring out a Rollie lens board- since I have a ton of that stuff as well ..

I am hoping that there was a reason why I kept all this stuff I haven't used for years...
Thanks
Pete
I'm not Chris, but I've used the CF 40 FLE, F 50/2.8, CF 100, S-Planar 135, and F 150/2.8 as well as a couple of much smaller and lighter 645 lenses, and the system handled them all very well. The lens plates are solid and very well designed, the locking mount for the plate is secure, and not even the F 50 (which is a beast) could move the front gears out of my chosen alignment. The 40's a bit fussy with its FLE. To get the best out of it, you need to manage its flange to a T, but I think the results are worth it.

These are both six-shot panos.

a7_Actus_CF40FLE_test by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

a7_Actus_CF40FLE_BoulderCanyon by Bradley Clemens, on Flickr

A 5 micron pixel pitch is 100 line pairs/mm in real photographic terms.

Any top-of-the-line Schneider or Rodenstock lens will handle that.

I shoot almost exclusively Rodenstock on the 4x5 and 8x10 cameras, and have no problem resolving detail at that level.

Sinaron lenses are Rodenstocks.

- Leigh
I've been very happy with the resolution of my film-era Rodenstocks (less so with the Schneiders) but the one thing I've noticed in switching from a Grandagon 55 to an APO-Sironar-Digital 55 is the way in which the lens flares. With the Grandagon and the a7, flare turned into big blobs of veiling flare. With the Digital, it's maybe a tad less prone to flare, and it's obviously lens flare, not some strangely colored fog.

Some Caltars are also Rodenstock.

CSP

hi, it is indeed very difficult do decide what lenses to get for a a7r/actus combination. even a lens specials at schneider-kreuznach was not able to really answer my questions but instead advised me to call the actus product manger in the netherlands when i needed to buy a 80/90mm lens. . he was very helpful and i got the answer i was looking for. now i need to decide if i should go for a hasselblad / mamiya RZ 50mm or the digitar 47mm for my product photography work. does anybody here have experience with this lenses ?

christian

jimban

Hi-

The 47mm Digitar is a great lens but somewhat susceptible to flare. It will allow the full movements possible with the actus.

Here's my compact field kit including:

28mm Digitar WA in copal 0 shutter
40mm Componon HM 39mm Leica Iris mount
47mm, 60mm, 90mm Digitars in copal 0 shutters
80mm Sinaron 39mm Leica Iris mount
100mm Componon-S 39mm Leica Iris mount
120mm Macro Symmar HM w copal 0 to 39mm Leica Iris mount adapter

The whole kit including the bag, 8 lenses, A7rII, Actus and extra batteries is 11 lbs.

jim

MrSmith

It'll focus (because the rear element is small enough to fit inside the rear standard's hole) but it won't allow for much movement. Which, for your a7r, is probably best, because moving much outside the center is going to cause a great deal of detail smearing. The APO-Digitar 47XL appears to be a bit better about this so, while longer, it gives more usable IC to Sony-shooters. The Grandagon 35 was a little bit better than both the Schneiders in those regards, but you don't get 2-6 feet out of that lens even with the ACB-310. 2-6 inches (from the front of the lens) is closer to the truth.

If it has to be 35, then my recommendation would be to look at a Pentax or Mamiya 645 lens, though you'd be better off with a Hasselblad CF/CFi 40, which is excellent but not well corrected for color aberrations. Personally, if I need to maximize the IC for close-focusing, I go my APO-Sironar-Digital 55 (used to be the Grandagon before it got stepped on by a moose). It's excellent across the board close up. If I can live with a smaller IC (60mm usable), I will turn to my relatively new-to-me APO-Rodagon-N 50, which is a tiny little powerhouse.
i have resisted the mamiya route as the lens panel is more expensive (though lenses cheaper) and the HB 40 fle is expensive. (i actually sold the older floating element version to buy the actus) i guess i will wait and see what turns up on ebay in the 40-50 range. i have a 60mm rodagon enlarging lens that was peanuts as my shortest lens but i’m interested in your Apo rodagon 50. any chance of a raw file? i presumed the IC was going to be too small as its for 35mm neg as opposed to the 60 which is for 645.

also Jimbans 40mm componon HM, how does that compare to the digitars?