The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Retrograde Step?

chiquita

Having tried some of the newer Fujis I realize that I'm well and truly hooked on full frame. I'm wondering weather trading in my A7R for the A7II (not the RII, too expensive :roll eyes:) would be a step too far. My Mac is groaning under the weight of all those pixels and I'm finding that the A7R rarely comes out with me because the shutter sound is so loud. I already have a Leica M with lenses and an RX1 so I'm looking for a carry around with af and also one that can utilise the Leica and Zeiss M lenses better. Would appreciate some input from anyone who has tried both :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The A7II is a far better camera minus the 12mpx. If you don't need them than the A7II is a gem of a overall general camera. When I had both I would grab the A7II first unless I needed the horsepower. I know I'm selling mine when the A7rII comes to my door but I would suspect you will see a lot used.

serhan

I bought a used A7 II and have not used much A7R since then. I think A7R images are more crisp, eg 36MP and no AA filter, but A7II gives softer/quieter shutter, IBIS, etc. A7II body has better grip and shutter button placement but I like the lightness of A7R also esp with smaller rf lenses. Usually the A7 II shutter speed is 1/focal length until you hit the max ISO, so it might be more useful for low light. I will eventually go with A7R II, but I might wait for some price drop/cheaper used bodies.

Here is Victor's comparison of the A7's which might give you a more detailed differences:
Sony Alpha A7 Family – Which One To Choose? A7 (ILCE-7) vs A7M II (ILCE-7M II) vs A7r (ILCE-7R) vs A7s (ILCE-7s)