The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How much better is the A7II?

Rawfa

Hey guys,

As some may know I might be coming back to the Sony boat with the A7RII. I was initially thinking about getting either a Canon 6D or a MKIII with 3 basic primes (28mm, 50mm, 100mm) for more pro work and just use the A7RII with these lenses until I´m 100% sure that Sony really checked all the marks for me. Then I started thinking about getting the A7II instead of the Canon before getting the A7RII, but I´m very hesitant of committing to the FE system again though. These last few moth I´ve been using a Nikon D600 and a D750, both with excellent AF and industry leading high iso. With these cameras I was able to use iso 8000 and in some instances iso 12800...On the A7 I struggled to be able to use iso 6400. Another thing that made me move away from the A7 was the unreliable AF. I´ve missed a lot of shots with both native FE glass and with the LEA4. Can anyone comment on AF reliability and high iso performance on the A7II? I thought about the A7S too, but this would only address my high iso concern.

Jim DE

Rafa, everyone should shoot with what they have confidence in and that suits their needs and wants. From the recent post you have posted it sounds as if you are on route to a Canon system with a trailing curiosity on the new a7rIi Sony body which very very few have even seen and fewer have handled. You and I have been on the forums for a very long time and new introductions have all been similar. A bunch of chatter, a bunch of both high and low expectations on this unknown product, and finally 6 months after the launch after thousand of users use and abuse these new bodies we finally get to see a more realistic view of the cameras pros and cons. Grasping for the brass ring is a hit or miss adventure.

You mention a body for pro use or work... My thought is for a work system I want a proven system with the items I both need and want. If whether I eat or not depends on the reliability and function of the tools in my hand I want to know what I am buying is proven. I personally would never buy anyone's early introduced bodies. But, that is me ... This is not saying I don't buy just released products just that when I do I have a reliable working system on hand that I know will put food on my table day in and day out. I will be getting the a7rIi for my personal scenic shots and enjoyment. It it proves itself out as reliable and fills my working needs and wants then and only then will I start to filter it into my paid photography.

If you are looking right now for answers if the a7rIi is the do all end all ultimate system that fills all your needs and wants so you can abandon all other equipment and buy up a bushel baskets of FE accessories to go with this new crown jewel of photographic equipment? It is just way too early for that sort of advice from anyone anywhere. Right now we all just has GAS anticipation let's hope it does not end up as the prep kit for a colonoscopy ;)

Rawfa

That´s a great post but I was actually talking about the A7II not the A7RII :)
I will most likely get either a 6D or a 5D MKIII and then just wait and see if how the A7RII actually plays out.

algrove

That´s a great post but I was actually talking about the A7II not the A7RII :)
I will most likely get either a 6D or a 5D MKIII and then just wait and see if how the A7RII actually plays out.
Perhaps you could better and more meaningful replies if you state clearly--How much better is the A7II than …. (where you compatre it to whatever you want)? Your first sentence talks about the A7RII and I do believe that's where any confusion came about.

Jim DE

Rawfa, I cannot comment on the A7II as I don't own one..... I have been seeing your recent comments around the net and just commented on the interest you seem to have in the a7rII. You are a excellent photographer and I know you could get great images no matter what is in your hands. But when you mentioned the buying of a new unproven body for work I just had to throw my 2 cents in on this subject. Guess it was OT to this thread though in retrospect. My apologies......