Site Sponsors

Thread: Highlight / Shadow Indicator

Post Thanks / Like

Highlight / Shadow Indicator

I recently had to shoot a very dark concert. My A7r was flashing like a cop car on a hot summer night. The highlights flashed when I over exposed a bit, but the most obnoxious was the shadow flashing in the dark areas (under exposure warning).

I couldn't figure out how to turn the d**n thing off. When I called Sony today, they said it cannot be turned off?

Has anyone experienced this issue and is there a way to turn off the shadow indication?

Milt

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Highlight / Shadow Indicator

Does it flash in all review modes? Normally it only should flash in the smaller view with the histograms next to it. In the other "full LCD screen" modes it should not flash.

Post Thanks / Like

That will work. The only other thing to consider is to turn off review altogether when at a concert ... not a fix, but a way to get around the annoyance

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for not making my issue more clear.

I actually need the hightlight indicator to flash. Stage performance exposure is all about getting the face, with a spot light, correctly exposed. All the black around the performer is irrelevant which is why I only want to turn off the black warning.

Thanks for the inputs,

Milt

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

maybe just lower the black warning all the way? or are you always going to have Zone O in the frame?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    maybe just lower the black warning all the way? or are you always going to have Zone O in the frame?
    How do you lower the black warning? I can't find it anywhere among the vast list of menus!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MiltReeder View Post
    How do you lower the black warning? I can't find it anywhere among the vast list of menus!
    I don't think you can, only possible work around is lowering the jpg contrast but that will also influence your highlight warnings and only works if you're shooting raw.

Btw, I have found on all my Sony camera's (but I don't have an A7 series) is that blinking highlight warnings are pessimistic, and I can almost always recover real highlight texture in blinkies using my raw converter. I do a little bit of stage photography but almost never chimp. I use spot metering on a representative part (covering some skin tones and maybe mid-toned clothes) and I've hardly ever faced problems with burned highlights. First time I look at the pics will be after the show or even at home on my computer.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

()(&^#%%&^!!

i couldn't figure it out either!