The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Well new a7rII means I will not be able to use Aperture

Jim DE

Yea, I am a hold out and have been hanging on to using Aperture for most everything I do. I have LR5, DXO OP, Capture One 8-3-1, OS Photo's as bought PP softwares on my Desktop. What PP software are most finding yield the best results with these Sony FE camera files. I will have to reluctantly move to one of these others when the a7rII arrives so while I wait I might as well get re-familiarized with one of them. I am guessing I am going to hear C1.....

Pradeep

Yea, I am a hold out and have been hanging on to using Aperture for most everything I do. I have LR5, DXO OP, Capture One 8-3-1, OS Photo's as bought PP softwares on my Desktop. What PP software are most finding yield the best results with these Sony FE camera files. I will have to reluctantly move to one of these others when the a7rII arrives so while I wait I might as well get re-familiarized with one of them. I am guessing I am going to hear C1.....
I too am a big fan of Aperture and held on for as long as I could. Then I switched to LR when Apple announced Photos. I also gave C-1 the best chance I could but found it wanting in several areas.

Now it's just LR, sadly. C-1 does not support Pentax 645Z and in any case I am not sold on its claims of better RAW conversion.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Why leave Aperture? New cameras get their RAW conversion from the OS, not the application. Aperture will work with new cameras as long as it still runs on the current OS, and that should be some years yet. Of course, it's sometimes a while before Apple supports a new camera, but it has nothing to do with Aperture per se.

I still use Aperture as a central DAM, but do more processing in C1. Fortunately (or unfortunately), every camera I own works with C1. If a MF Pentax or Leica should magically appear, I'll have to decide whether or not to keep C1 in the workflow. If Phase ever makes the obvious[SUP]*[/SUP] decision to support other MF cameras I would consider it as a central repository - catalogs are pretty useable now.

--Matt

[SUP]*[/SUP] I want it, so it's obviously the only rational thing for Phase to do.:toocool:

Jim DE

Matt, you may of just revealed my ignorance on the matter. I was assuming that because Aperture no longer got updates that it would also not be able to read any cameras RAW files that were made after the last update. I remember seeing when Aperture had its updates specific cameras listed that were now supported and other improved features that each update had. From what you are saying my assumption is completely wrong..... And this may be a rare time when being wrong has made me extremely happy!!!! ;)

I have tried liking C1, LR, and DXO as a PP software but compared to the way Aperture has just imbedded itself into my norms of how PP software should work the others just have not melded themselves to me. I have had all the various Adobe PS's or CS's since PS7. Taken numerous college courses on how to use the various editions over the years and to this day Adobe software and I interface like a monkey with a football. My current CS6 edition since they went to this idiotic cloud based monthly lease program will most likely be my very last edition. I rarely ever use it and when I do it is to save I shot I absolutely have to have that for some reason was near blown. This may happen 1-2 times every 2-3 years.

DXO is ok and its prime NR is imo the best out there but the other tools are very lacking and no real DAM. C1 I love the colors and clarity but the way it files shots and some of its tools are still behind the level I have with Aperture. Plus for some odd reason a few years ago when working between C1 and aperture something happened that corrupted the files so they would no longer open in aperture due to a file suffix that was added to the raw files. This ticked me off big time!

I recently updated my Mac OS and had to delete and reinstall my copy of aperture to still make it useable in this new OS( some very tense moments during this whole process I assure you... I am old and not the most computer literate user out there). Matt if you are right you made my day! You can bet I am going to run my first batch of images with the new camera when it arrive through my Aperture program.

MGrayson

Just be aware that Apple doesn't always support new cameras in the first few weeks (months?) that they're out. The Leica Q, for instance, isn't yet covered. But the A7II was covered shortly after release. Watch the OS X updates for RAW support.

--Matt

(I'm on the most recent OS X and have never had trouble running Aperture. Good luck!)

Jim DE

Joe, as posted above I have had PS or its evolution softwares since PS7. In classes by the time it's over I say ok I got this but a few months pass and its UI just collides with my thinking and neither side wins. I got LR 5 a year or so ago and though better than the PS variants its UI still makes me feel like a monkey with a football. I sit behind the screen and its filing system and the use of some of its features has me head banging myself on the desk. If I committed myself to using only Adobe software I bet eventually I would get comfortable with it but with Aperture just a click away and no UI collisions with me I'm like a alcoholic walking past a health foods store and a bar... You know where he is going if both are open. ;)

I find C1 has a very clean and crisp look but I have issues with plugin comparability, its filing system and NR. NR may be much less important with this new camera but that is left to be seen.

Jim DE

Matt when I upgraded to whatever Mac calls this new OS my Aperture software was greyed out and could not be opened. I researched it and tech Davy guys said just delete it and reinstall the software from your iTunes purchased files. Easy for them ... Anxious moments for me when I clicked remove file. I reinstalled and aperture ran fine and all my image files archived were intact.

Your right about slow to catch up to new cameras I remember that with the NEX 7 and the a77

MGrayson

The only plugins I use are the Nik Collection, and C1 will "Edit With" them in a seamless round-trip. You end up with a large TIFF file with the edits cooked in, but that's AFAIK no different from using Nik with Aperture, PS, or LR.

Although Photos is behind on editing tools, I'm getting used to its ease, speed, and syncing abilities. Anything I want to see from every device now goes into Photos, where it used to go into Zenfolio or Flickr. Of course, for posting on fora, something like Flickr is still useful, but publishing to there from Photos (or Aperture, for that matter) is very easy.

--Matt

Jim DE

Here my computer ignorance may be showing again but I have the Topaz suite loaded in as plugins in Aperture. When I click with edit with in C1 none of these show up. Other plugin software do just not the Topaz plugins.

What PP software are most finding yield the best results with these Sony FE camera files. I will have to reluctantly move to one of these others when the a7rII arrives
Don't be reluctant...Aperture has fallen far behind the pack, long ago. I own all the others as well, and Lightroom is head-and-shoulders above the rest (in capabilities, quality of conversion, support for plug-ins, speed, stability and more.) Personally, I felt that C1 had a quality edge, about 3 years ago, but no more.

Also, Lightroom is typically updated very quickly to support new cameras and lenses.

FWIW.

Mike

Last edited:

Godfrey

I use LR CC and have been using LR since the beta days. I tried Aperture and gave C1 a decent chance to win my heart, but both fell short. Like Pradeep, I'm not convinced that C1 has the better RAW processor. LR/ACR do pretty darn well (for me) and handle every camera I own (a7R, D810, 645Z) seamlessly. YMMV.

Joe
+1

Lately, I am learning how to make the M-P, X and E-M1 produce so close to my desired output in JPEGs that I could use Photos, but I prefer using LR6 anyway.

G

4season

I much preferred Aperture to LR in a lot of ways, but it's age is showing: Much weaker than LR in the areas of chroma noise reduction, chromatic aberration correction, lens & color profiles, etc! If you don't trust Adobe's subscription model, you can still get LR6 in standalone form.

Other alternatives include Affinity Photo (via App Store) and DarkTable for Unix-like OSes. Briefly fussed with the latter (it's free) but can't say much re output quality until I get a better screen for that PC: Built-in screen of a $200 notebook probably doesn't begin to cover the sRGB gamut let alone AdobeRGB...

Somewhat off topic, jumping between different asset managers is a lot easier if you use what Aperture refers to as Referenced Masters. That is, raw files residing in their own folders, apart from ~/Pictures/Aperture Library. Aperture works fine that way too, but it's not it's default behavior.

scho

+1

Lately, I am learning how to make the M-P, X and E-M1 produce so close to my desired output in JPEGs that I could use Photos, but I prefer using LR6 anyway.

G
+2. I use LR with all of my cameras now w/o problems. I switched briefly to alternate raw processors when using Fuji X cameras because ACR/LR produced weird demosaicing artifacts with raws from that sensor, but now that I no longer use a Fuji there is no need for the alternates.

Pradeep

I had always been frustrated by the lack of a decent DAM until Aperture came along. I bought it when it was version 1 and then also got LR when that came out. AP was way better and I stuck with it through the years. It would not open my Phase One files but I got C1 for that instead, still using AP as the main workflow manager. I loved it's non-modal approach, the ability to use Managed or Referenced files (LR only allows Referenced) and of course it is 'made by Apple' with all the compatibility advantages that provided.

Sadly, AP has lagged way behind and when LR introduced the graduated filter, it was time to re-evaluate. I kept waiting and Apple never delivered. Finally they announced Photos and I knew it was time to switch.

Very reluctantly, I must admit that in its current avatar, LR is just so much better at basic image editing than AP that it is no contest. I still hate it's modal approach and the DAM abilities have not improved much, but it is so good at most image modifications that I now do not need Photoshop much at all.

I still use many filters like Nik, OnONe (my current favorite), MacPhun and Topaz as needed, but most of the work is done in LR itself.

Added bonus, it opens all the files from all my cameras, so no need to keep both C1 and LR running.

Jim DE

I found out that the a7rII will not be supported in LR5 so I upgraded to LR6 today.... what a nightmare!! What should of been a download and a few mouse clicks turned into 6 hours of wading through Adobe tech support H---. What a Mickey Mouse tech and customer support system they have!!!! It is like being a mouse in a maze to get to anyone who can talk to you on the phone without needing a translator that CAN ASSIST a customer where it would not down load but give a $!* error code Header too large ... whatever the H is that, ^ STINK'N HOURS!!!!!!!!! and it was not till I called in to get my money back did I finally get some help and they cleared the fault on their end so it could be downloaded,

If I had had the CEO's phone number I would of called him and torn him a new one!!!! Friggin oversea's CS is at best a very poor joke. As is their overseas tech support and friggin discussion forum usage they direct you to with a LR problem. This alone convinced me I still hate Adobe and would shoot JPG before using their software as my primary software.

Jim DE

FYI..... Aperture now can read a7rII RAW files.... just tried it tonight..... don't know how long it has been able to do this.

Jim DE

I am getting use to C1 but using Aperture again is as comfortable as a campfire and a mug of homemade stew.... At least for me

Eoin

I am getting use to C1 but using Aperture again is as comfortable as a campfire and a mug of homemade stew.... At least for me
+1
It did everything I needed at it's launch in 2005, it has been improved over the years and has some great plugins which address any short comings.
It's function as a DAM has been flawless with my Libraries of photos over those years.

Comfortable .... absolutely, I will continue to use it as the centre of my workflow and I still have the option to edit any photo in a 3rd party editor.
C1 is excellent, I just don't understand it and I'm not really pushed to do so .... yet!.