The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Well new a7rII means I will not be able to use Aperture

Jim DE

Man I hope Mac turns Photo into a similar product as Aperture was... They had a great product and workflow.

Jim DE

I haven't...... fact is I don't think I have ever heard of it before. I got a bunch though CS6, LR6, C1, DXOOP. SPP. PPS. APG, Hugin, Topaz Suite, Intensify Pro, Snapheal, Focus Pro, DXOVP, Expose, Photos, etc....... and still return to my aperture with plugins

Jim DE

I know this might not be popular here and is nothing more than a FYI of a personal opinion or preference but I did a whole shoot yesterday of a local park and uploaded the RAW's to C1, LR6, and Aperture and looked at them on there initial conversion. I personally feel that aperture initial conversions looked far better than the other two. I know this is just my opinion and admittedly I am one who prefers to use aperture and plugins but if you all have a old copy of aperture you can try take a look see.

The difference in my eyes was huge... Yeah with further adjustments I could make them all look the same but I am just saying for me .. I'll stick with aperture for my a7rII scenics. That stream pic I posted in my FE 55mm thread and on the fun with a7 images thread was from aperture and topaz detail plugin

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I finally stopped using Aperture already a several months ago, does not make sense to run after something which is no longer supported.

I am happily using LR6 and C1Pro and I must say depending on what cameras I use the results are even better than what I ever could get from Aperture.

pegelli

I think the key for every raw converter is to develop a default import profile per camera that gets everything close to how you want it and the optimize from there.

The second step is then to choose one and learn it really well. The worst service you can do yourself is keep switching and never truly master one.

Jim DE

Yeah, hanging with aperture will eventually come to a end but hey I'm old so who knows what ends first........ I think the initial profile for the a7rII is spot on this time. I find LR (which admittedly I am a Adobe hater) initial conversion is too sterile and near hdr'd in appearance. C1 looked much better but just maybe a bit too crisp plus I still like the filing of aperture over everything else. The aperture files hard good clarity but still maintained a natural appearance and to my liking near spot on without any other tweaking in aperture except shadows and highlights. Topaz Detail initial tweak just adds a bit of pop going in then hit apply and exit.

Can I get this from the other two? Sure with adjustments but I still won't have apertures great DAM system afterwards.

The comment about sticking with one is very true but I have acquired a bundle of them and occasionally use them all for certain strengths I guess I look at aperture like a golfer looks at his 7 iron, a club a whole round of golf could be played with if needed ;) but who want just one club ;) ;)

Stefan Steib

Yeah, hanging with aperture will eventually come to a end but hey I'm old so who knows what ends first........ I think the initial profile for the a7rII is spot on this time. I find LR (which admittedly I am a Adobe hater) initial conversion is too sterile and near hdr'd in appearance. C1 looked much better but just maybe a bit too crisp plus I still like the filing of aperture over everything else. The aperture files hard good clarity but still maintained a natural appearance and to my liking near spot on without any other tweaking in aperture except shadows and highlights. Topaz Detail initial tweak just adds a bit of pop going in then hit apply and exit.

Can I get this from the other two? Sure with adjustments but I still won't have apertures great DAM system afterwards.

The comment about sticking with one is very true but I have acquired a bundle of them and occasionally use them all for certain strengths I guess I look at aperture like a golfer looks at his 7 iron, a club a whole round of golf could be played with if needed ;) but who want just one club ;) ;)
well I have to admit I am biased also - in two ways:

first I am an Aperture certified Apple Trainer, which makes me knowing the prog in and out. Still the fastest and most effective solution on the market,
some shortcomings on features like Chromas and perspective control, but overall still leading quality. The profiles are where the juice is ! Definitely !!
And nobod else has such a smooth working and powerful image database BUILT IN - for Zilch nada niente costs extra . I have customers using 10-20 terrabytes of aperture data image libraries smoothly. You can even do it via a server and workgroups if you know how.

second I am an aperture certified trainer. And I am totally pixxed by Apples policy on Pro Apps. Photo is a joke.
Aperture has now disappeared from the Apple store. Why ? It looks like Apple is willingly destroying the userbase of it.
Maybe they signed some agreement with Adobe, who knows.
After several years working professionally with Apple ( nearly 10) I´m trough with them. first Final Cut, then Aperture. This is not professional.
I will keep using aperture as long as possible, but of course the change is in the wings.

I just want to say that the aperture team was (is?) top notch in develloping Pro Photo Software.
And ditching this is extremely unfair.

greetings from germany
Stefan

Last edited: