The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tell me I'm not crazy

UHDR

so somewhere along the lines of re-structuring my setup, I have the following travel setup planned:

A7r
VG 12mm
VG 15mm
Batis 25mm
FE 55mm
Sony 85mm F2.8 + LAEA3

so this covers 12-85mm range, and includes two large aperture lens at 25mm (F2) and 55mm (F1.8). This will cover all my needs, but of course this setup includes no zoom...

lately i have been toying with the idea of have sigma 18-35mm F1.8 in the set up... in place of the Batis 25mm. This will:

1, increase bulk and weight (33Xg to 8XXg)
2, half my cost.
3, increase F2 to F1.8
4, i often crop to 16:9 and 21:9 ratio so i think i can get away shooting at 25mm on the 18-35mm. i.e. i will have zoom from 25-35mm.
5, i might lose tiny bit of IQ (although may just be losing that zeiss look. if you believe in DXOmark score, sharpness-wise, the 18-35mm actually preforms better than sigma 35mm ART; which, in term, does slightly better than the FE55mm).
6, filter size gone up. in the original plan everything is do-able with just two ND filters (58mm and 67mm + step up ring).
7, but...i get ...zooooooooom!

so...question here, am i going crazy to ditch Batis for Sigma? :loco:

PS: my wife uses a A6000 and she has no large aperture lens, so 18-35mm makes sense on her camera too.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It's not an easy decision, and probably a good argument could be made for keeping everything and adding the zoom :D. Personally, I wouldn't ditch the Batis -- I would however add that 18-ish is a very nice focal range, though using the 15 and taking a step closer to your main subject is probably going to serve almost as well. I have a 14 in my kit and just ditched my 17-35/2.8 zoom in favor of a fixed 24/1.4 as an example, saving weight while gaining speed and IQ -- and I don't own a 35 either(!) but do have a stellar 28. When I really need wider than the 24, I generally need a LOT wider, so use the 14 and crop a little if needed. YMMV...

UHDR

It's not an easy decision, and probably a good argument could be made for keeping everything and adding the zoom :D. Personally, I wouldn't ditch the Batis -- I would however add that 18-ish is a very nice focal range, though using the 15 and taking a step closer to your main subject is probably going to serve almost as well. I have a 14 in my kit and just ditched my 17-35/2.8 zoom in favor of a fixed 24/1.4 as an example, saving weight while gaining speed and IQ -- and I don't own a 35 either(!) but do have a stellar 28. When I really need wider than the 24, I generally need a LOT wider, so use the 14 and crop a little if needed. YMMV...
Thanks for the insight, Jack.

I picked VG 15mm because its size and when partnered with A7r (36MP), i can crop to 18mm without too much penalty (i rarely do large prints). I replaced my sigma 12-24mm with VG 12mm, 15mm and , originally planned, Batis 25mm. i found i used these three focal lengths the most after looking back at my own work with 12-24mm. One of the the biggest driver for going to 18-35mm is so i can cover 35mm too. The original plan will see me jump from 25mm straight to 55mm, which is fair a jump; skipping 28mm and 35mm to say the least.... another advantage i guess is that i will be using LAEA4, so i will add phase detection to A7r i.e. which will help with street photography/tracking fast-ish objects...

Anyway, I just came across a second hand 18-35mm in a local store, i might pick it up and try it out. If at later date i find the Batis better, then i will put the sigma back onto the market. :grin:

mbroomfield

How much cropping is needed on the Sigma given that it's an APSc lens? I've not seen any images to show corners on FF. I always like the idea of that lens when I was shooting Nex though.

I'm pretty close to your prime list if limited to a handful of lenses except that I wouldn't need to go wider than 15mm and I use the OM 90/2 macro for a short tele.

Edit : I think I'd switch the 55/1.8 for a Vario Sonnar 35-70 and forgo the speed for a bit more flexibility.

uhoh7

Everybody will have their own take.

I would loose the CV 12 (not sell, but leave home), and possibly add a small light 135+

I would never bother with an APS-C lens on the full frame camera, let alone a giant monster like the sigma.

The F/1.8 is meaningless considering the crop. Does your wife really want such a big lens? With A6000 I would think she would like that little zoom...I forget the range.

The Batis may be the first truly great WA for the A7 series. I would not want to forego that :)

ggibson

Yeah, I don't think cropping makes any sense if you're going for a huge lens like the Sigma 18-35. You'd probably get better results from the Batis 25 by cropping until you switch to the 55/1.8.

If you want more flexibility of a zoom, why not go for the Sony 16-35/4? I find it to be an excellent lens (even at 35mm, despite some grumbling here), and a very nice focal range. It pairs really well with the 55/1.8 IMO. Sure you might give up f2, but I find most UWA shots usually need a little DOF anyways and the 16-35 has image stabilization to help with the hand-holding. If you shoot astro shots, you should probably get the Rokinon 24/1.4 anyways.

My kit right now is the 16-35, 55, and 24-240 (with a legacy 135/2.5 as an alternate) and I feel pretty confident in being able to cover most scenarios (probably 80% of the time I'm shooting the first 2 anyways). I could see the Batis 85 or SAL85 as a good alternate to a tele-zoom too.

UHDR

How much cropping is needed on the Sigma given that it's an APSc lens? I've not seen any images to show corners on FF. I always like the idea of that lens when I was shooting Nex though.

I'm pretty close to your prime list if limited to a handful of lenses except that I wouldn't need to go wider than 15mm and I use the OM 90/2 macro for a short tele.

Edit : I think I'd switch the 55/1.8 for a Vario Sonnar 35-70 and forgo the speed for a bit more flexibility.
Not much cropping if you stay within 28-35mm. but i think i can get away with 25-27mm if i shoot 21:9 or 16:9. Guy did a demo previously, i found it quite acceptable:
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/sony/51113-sigma-18-35-1-8-zoom-aps.html

Everybody will have their own take.

I would loose the CV 12 (not sell, but leave home), and possibly add a small light 135+

I would never bother with an APS-C lens on the full frame camera, let alone a giant monster like the sigma.

The F/1.8 is meaningless considering the crop. Does your wife really want such a big lens? With A6000 I would think she would like that little zoom...I forget the range.

The Batis may be the first truly great WA for the A7 series. I would not want to forego that :)
Thanks for your input. :grin: i will almost always carry the CV12, i found it extremely useful when i do building/structure pictures like large church/palace. on the other hand im increasingly staying away from the tele end, even 55mm is...too tele. i might consider going 100/105/135 again (to replace the 85mm) if leica/zeiss/voigtlander decides to make a super compact f2.8/4.

mounting on A6000 will strictly be backup choice when both of us want to do night photography aboard. so i think she will find it acceptable.

Yeah, I don't think cropping makes any sense if you're going for a huge lens like the Sigma 18-35. You'd probably get better results from the Batis 25 by cropping until you switch to the 55/1.8.

If you want more flexibility of a zoom, why not go for the Sony 16-35/4? I find it to be an excellent lens (even at 35mm, despite some grumbling here), and a very nice focal range. It pairs really well with the 55/1.8 IMO. Sure you might give up f2, but I find most UWA shots usually need a little DOF anyways and the 16-35 has image stabilization to help with the hand-holding. If you shoot astro shots, you should probably get the Rokinon 24/1.4 anyways.

My kit right now is the 16-35, 55, and 24-240 (with a legacy 135/2.5 as an alternate) and I feel pretty confident in being able to cover most scenarios (probably 80% of the time I'm shooting the first 2 anyways). I could see the Batis 85 or SAL85 as a good alternate to a tele-zoom too.
thanks. i did consider 16-35mm f4 previously but i didn't find the final image is quite my taste. but i think you are right that, with zeiss 25mm, i can probably crop fair abit and still retain decent enough resolution. hmm.....may be i am going crazy :grin: