Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Batis 25/f2 and 85/f1.8 on the A7R, first impressions

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Batis 25/f2 and 85/f1.8 on the A7R, first impressions

I want one. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I want one. LOL
    Well, we're even then, 'cause I want an 85mm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pradeep, Guy, Tre, Mike,

I hate you all.

Thanks for the first impressions and the sample photos. I'll have to wait until B&H delivers both sometime in August. In the meantime, more photos please. And Guy, thanks for sharing the RAW images. I looked at them at 100% and liked what I saw.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Pradeep, Guy, Tre, Mike,

I hate you all.

Thanks for the first impressions and the sample photos. I'll have to wait until B&H delivers both sometime in August. In the meantime, more photos please. And Guy, thanks for sharing the RAW images. I looked at them at 100% and liked what I saw.

Joe
    I agree Joe! I'm used to being on the leading edge of these new products and the wait is killing me.

Derek
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just to pass the time while waiting for the A7RII to arrive next week........

During my initial testing of the Batis 25 at home, I took some pictures shooting straight into the sun. Here are the samples. I have cropped the right side of all images so the aspect ratio is changed. I did this for privacy reasons. These were taken without any lens corrections in camera. Apart from the cropping nothing else has been done, all are SOOC otherwise.

The images compare the excellent 16-35 f4 with (IMHO) the even better Batis 25 f2

I took these more to look at CA and flare, not sharpness. However, to my eyes the Batis does look sharper as well. It does fall behind in CA wide open, but that disappears by f5.6 - look at the top left of the image. The flare on the 16-24 makes the image look foggy and darker.

I really like the clarity and lack of flare with the Batis even when the sun is beating down into it.

Pradeep
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GDPI_01.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	423.4 KB 
ID:	93642   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GDPI_02.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	435.6 KB 
ID:	93643   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GDPI_03.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	500.7 KB 
ID:	93644   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GDPI_04.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	549.4 KB 
ID:	93645   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GDPI_05.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	560.2 KB 
ID:	93646  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GDPI_06.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	557.8 KB 
ID:	93647  
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    working on more images now. AFC tracking is really good I tested it a couple times and seems to track very well. Should be far better with the A7RII over the A7III which these are shot with
    Your impressions are, as always, very helpful and interesting.

I found this Batis 85 user's post to be thoughtful and it definitely gives me something to chew on. I believe the camera was a Sony A7ii.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3878629

Would you or any other Batis 85 user care to discuss these points?

I am especially interested in the sections on swirly bokeh and hunting autofocus in moderately dim lighting.

Thanks for all the time you and others contribute.

-Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great posts.
    Keep debating Batis 25 vs Sony FE 28/2.
    Like the size/weight of the Sony (sure and the price), but worry the distortion will drive me nuts.
    I plan to shoot a lot of video at this focal length, so not sure if in-camera corrections are made in video mode (or only for JPG stills).

Batis 25 shots look great, and remind me of my great ZM25/2.8 .. distortion free, sharp corner to corner..
    Now if I can get over the weight/balance difference..
    blog
    steve

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ohnri View Post
    Your impressions are, as always, very helpful and interesting.

I found this Batis 85 user's post to be thoughtful and it definitely gives me something to chew on. I believe the camera was a Sony A7ii.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3878629

Would you or any other Batis 85 user care to discuss these points?

I am especially interested in the sections on swirly bokeh and hunting autofocus in moderately dim lighting.

Thanks for all the time you and others contribute.

-Bill
    I think the OP of those impressions are valid although I don't know that I agree 100% with his take. The lens does hunt at times on my A7R in lower light but I don't know that it can't be improved in firmware. The focus ring is possibly the best feeling FE lens focus ring to me. I don't find the vignetting bad but I do shoot with lens corrections. I don't see why anyone wouldn't personally and think this is somewhat of a none issue on all lenses provided they can be easily corrected. Computer corrected lenses are the way forward... get used to it as it probably won't go away except on the most expensive lenses and even then...I happen to like the bokeh but it some shots then yes it can be a bit quirky but that's not the norm IMO. For that particular person the 90 Macro might be a better fit for what they may be looking for in optical look.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjg284 View Post
    Great posts.
    Keep debating Batis 25 vs Sony FE 28/2.
    Like the size/weight of the Sony (sure and the price), but worry the distortion will drive me nuts.
    I plan to shoot a lot of video at this focal length, so not sure if in-camera corrections are made in video mode (or only for JPG stills).

Batis 25 shots look great, and remind me of my great ZM25/2.8 .. distortion free, sharp corner to corner..
    Now if I can get over the weight/balance difference..
    The weight and balance of either the 25 or 28 is fine (I've tried both.) For me the 25 Batis was worth it as pretty much as close to a no compromise lens as I can get at that price.

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt there is a lens made for any camera that is perfect in every way - sharp, great AF, distortion-free, great contrast and color, no CA, light weight and above all, cheap!

I think we all prioritize our needs and then pick what suits us, regardless of any other factor.

Me, I am waiting for the 18-600, 8 oz pancake that costs $80

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep View Post
    I doubt there is a lens made for any camera that is perfect in every way - sharp, great AF, distortion-free, great contrast and color, no CA, light weight and above all, cheap!

I think we all prioritize our needs and then pick what suits us, regardless of any other factor.

Me, I am waiting for the 18-600, 8 oz pancake that costs $80
    That's reasonable unless you require F/0.25 instead of F/0.95. Then it will cost you $100.
    Last edited by jfirneno; 24th July 2015 at 09:35. Reason: oops
    Regards,
    John
    Sony fanboy, shamelessly shilling for "the man" since 2010.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I think the OP of those impressions are valid although I don't know that I agree 100% with his take. The lens does hunt at times on my A7R in lower light but I don't know that it can't be improved in firmware. The focus ring is possibly the best feeling FE lens focus ring to me. I don't find the vignetting bad but I do shoot with lens corrections. I don't see why anyone wouldn't personally and think this is somewhat of a none issue on all lenses provided they can be easily corrected. Computer corrected lenses are the way forward... get used to it as it probably won't go away except on the most expensive lenses and even then...I happen to like the bokeh but it some shots then yes it can be a bit quirky but that's not the norm IMO. For that particular person the 90 Macro might be a better fit for what they may be looking for in optical look.
    Wow! What a thoughtful and helpful evaluation.

The Batis lenses appear to be all they are cracked up to be.

However, I will probably stand pat with my 90 Macro for the time being.

At the wide end, I am not fully convinced that the 25 Batis has enough extra oomph to make it worth the premium over the Sony 28 for my usage. Therefore, I will probably order neither and be happy with my excellent 16-35 FE and the truely remarkable 35 f/1.4 FE.

In any event, I feel that all my lenses are going to get an upgrade once the A7rii arrives.

Thanks,

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! What a thoughtful and helpful evaluation.

In any event, I feel that all my lenses are going to get an upgrade once the A7rii arrives.

Thanks,

Bill
    Bill, just curious.

What do you think would be the best line-up for the A7RII from ultra-wide to 200mm if size, weight and cost were taken out of the equation, IOW pure image quality (overall - sharpness, contrast, color, bokeh etc all taken into account).

For me, AF would also be a priority although for ultrawide I could live without it.

Pradeep

Post Thanks / Like

Bill, just curious.

What do you think would be the best line-up for the A7RII from ultra-wide to 200mm if size, weight and cost were taken out of the equation, IOW pure image quality (overall - sharpness, contrast, color, bokeh etc all taken into account).

For me, AF would also be a priority although for ultrawide I could live without it.

Pradeep
    From my limited experience I would have to go with the usual suspects.

16-35 FE
    Batis 25
    Zeiss 35 f/1.4 FE
    Sony 55 FE
    Batis 85 vs Sony 90 Macro
    At the long end I believe there is some excellent A mount glass at 135 and 200 that is available but the Sony 70-200 is considered very,very strong between 100 and 150

Think what a portable FF kit that would be if you went for the Sony 70-200.

However, I am about to go to Disneyland with friends and family.

I am taking only my Samsung NX1 with the terrific 16-50 S f/2-2.8 lens.

It is high quality. Has strong weather sealing. Fast AF. Does 4K video internally. Can easily be handed to anyone to take a great photo of me. Shoots 15 fps to get that perfect micro-expression.

I can literally just hold the camera in front of me at arm's length and capture fun shots of children reacting to the amazing sights while we walk.

The JPEG's are great.

So, as much as I very much want to take my Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 with me, I know I'll get better photographs with the lesser, but still quite fine, Samsung zoom.

I do wonder if the A7rii will change that calculus in favor of a one or two lens Sony kit for future similar excursions.

Best,

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Hamburg Station

Five-shot stitch from the 25mm Batis @ ƒ5.6

25mm Batis @ ƒ5.6

Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

More Batis 25 images here, 91 of them to be exact, covers a lot of ground. Any wide that hangs at this level is a fine lens. ;-)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/silver...h/19126399040/

[apoly-logies if posted above.]
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

From my limited experience I would have to go with the usual suspects.

16-35 FE
    Batis 25
    Zeiss 35 f/1.4 FE
    Sony 55 FE
    Batis 85 vs Sony 90 Macro
    At the long end I believe there is some excellent A mount glass at 135 and 200 that is available but the Sony 70-200 is considered very,very strong between 100 and 150

Think what a portable FF kit that would be if you went for the Sony 70-200.

However, I am about to go to Disneyland with friends and family.

I am taking only my Samsung NX1 with the terrific 16-50 S f/2-2.8 lens.

It is high quality. Has strong weather sealing. Fast AF. Does 4K video internally. Can easily be handed to anyone to take a great photo of me. Shoots 15 fps to get that perfect micro-expression.

I can literally just hold the camera in front of me at arm's length and capture fun shots of children reacting to the amazing sights while we walk.

The JPEG's are great.

So, as much as I very much want to take my Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 with me, I know I'll get better photographs with the lesser, but still quite fine, Samsung zoom.

I do wonder if the A7rii will change that calculus in favor of a one or two lens Sony kit for future similar excursions.

Best,

Bill
    I would agree with most of your choices since I've tried four on your list so far. I've used the Canon 70-200 f4 with metabones and I think the size/heft is about the same as the Sony. The need for long glass has been somewhat limited so far, but the A7RII with its new AF capabilities may change all that.

The only concern I have is that at the <20mm end, while the 16-35/f4 is really sharp, it is limited to f4 and has come coma distortion making it harder as the first choice for night photography. I've attached an image taken at f8 at 20mm to illustrate. While I love the overall rendering and sharpness, it is not ideal for this kind of imaging. Wide open it may have been even worse.

I have another question - for you or anyone else, just hypothetically speaking. If you were limited to just ONE lens on the A7R for general purpose/walkabout (as if it was a fixed single-lens camera), what would be your choice? For me it would have to be 24-70/f4 although my copy seems to be a bit soft I think.

Pradeep

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by philip_pj View Post
    More Batis 25 images here, 91 of them to be exact, covers a lot of ground. Any wide that hangs at this level is a fine lens. ;-)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/silver...h/19126399040/

[apoly-logies if posted above.]
    Thanks Philip, great images of some great cars.

No doubt now, this is indeed a wonderful lens.

Pradeep
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GDPI_201501-2.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	264.7 KB 
ID:	93743  
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I would agree with most of your choices since I've tried four on your list so far. I've used the Canon 70-200 f4 with metabones and I think the size/heft is about the same as the Sony. The need for long glass has been somewhat limited so far, but the A7RII with its new AF capabilities may change all that.

The only concern I have is that at the <20mm end, while the 16-35/f4 is really sharp, it is limited to f4 and has come coma distortion making it harder as the first choice for night photography. I've attached an image taken at f8 at 20mm to illustrate. While I love the overall rendering and sharpness, it is not ideal for this kind of imaging. Wide open it may have been even worse.

I have another question - for you or anyone else, just hypothetically speaking. If you were limited to just ONE lens on the A7R for general purpose/walkabout (as if it was a fixed single-lens camera), what would be your choice? For me it would have to be 24-70/f4 although my copy seems to be a bit soft I think.

Pradeep

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Philip, great images of some great cars.

No doubt now, this is indeed a wonderful lens.

Pradeep
    I have enjoyed both the 35 mm f/1.4 and the 16-35 f/4 as single walkabout lenses.

If I were to pick just one, I suppose the 35 mm would get the nod because it has some special sauce baked in.

-Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I have enjoyed both the 35 mm f/1.4 and the 16-35 f/4 as single walkabout lenses.

If I were to pick just one, I suppose the 35 mm would get the nod because it has some special sauce baked in.

-Bill
    Ah, the 35. Yes, hearing a lot about that one. I suppose 35mm is also the best single focal length if one wanted a prime as the walkabout lens.

Pradeep

Post Thanks / Like

35mm f2.8 would be my walkaround. Nice and smal and I can shoot almost anything on a 35mm, although this one may be more like 37mm!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pradeep, I'd choose the FE 24-70mm f/4. Good lens for walk-around photography. It's the lens I use for family events, suburban walk-around, and IR. If I need to shoot in really low light and/or achieve some bokeh, the lens would be the 35mm f/1.4.

BTW, since Zeiss has several well-corrected super-wide lens designs in their archives, I predict that we'll see some of those <25mm designs in the Batis or Loxia E mount families in the future. Keep hope alive.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a link to a comparison of the Batis 25/2 against the Sony 16-35/4 and 24-70/4:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dierkt...57654089703684

I just looked at the f8 samples, but my take was that the Batis 25 was #1, followed VERY closely by the 16-35/4. Close enough that you might not be able to spot the difference in a blind A/B test. The 24-70/4 looked good in the center, but degraded quite a bit in the corners.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ggibson View Post
    Here's a link to a comparison of the Batis 25/2 against the Sony 16-35/4 and 24-70/4:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dierkt...57654089703684

I just looked at the f8 samples, but my take was that the Batis 25 was #1, followed VERY closely by the 16-35/4. Close enough that you might not be able to spot the difference in a blind A/B test. The 24-70/4 looked good in the center, but degraded quite a bit in the corners.
    I think the thing to keep in mind is that the best apertures on the 25 Batis are f/4-5.6. Even they aren't worlds better than the lens is about half a stop down from wide open.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    35mm f2.8 would be my walkaround. Nice and smal and I can shoot almost anything on a 35mm, although this one may be more like 37mm!
    I've got that one and have done a lot of shooting with it, walking around the street and monuments around crowds of tourists where you really don't have much options. It is also good for candids of people where a large lens would be obtrusive.

I found it distorts more and there are color casts at times. It is sharp enough in the center though. I agree, it is probably the perfect size for the A7 series, if only it were possible for the other lenses to be this compact and light.

Post Thanks / Like

Pradeep, I'd choose the FE 24-70mm f/4. Good lens for walk-around photography. It's the lens I use for family events, suburban walk-around, and IR. If I need to shoot in really low light and/or achieve some bokeh, the lens would be the 35mm f/1.4.

BTW, since Zeiss has several well-corrected super-wide lens designs in their archives, I predict that we'll see some of those <25mm designs in the Batis or Loxia E mount families in the future. Keep hope alive.

Joe
    Yup, hope springs eternal. These are good times.....

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still a bit bummed out about the Batis 85mm's pincushion distortion. The early jpeg samples I'm seeing aren't helping.

Uncorrected, for the kinds of things I shoot, the distortion is...Well, it's ugly, IMO. What will happen to the lens' resolution when it's corrected? That's a big question mark for me. Maybe I'll be convinced, and move into the "new era" of lens design. Or maybe not.

I'm waiting for somebody to test this aspect of the lens. Or at least kindly supply a nice detailed uncorrected raw file of a rectilinear subject, so I can try to figure it out myself using manual corrections.

It's understandable that most of the attention goes elsewhere, since so many people have been waiting for a fastish portrait lens for the FE bodies. Many photographers want to know first of all how the Batis 85 works wide open; how the bokeh looks. (All good, as expected.)

But hey, some of us landscape folks like Zeiss lenses, too! (Sob!)

I want the Batis for its modest size, weight and, hopefully, optical quality across the frame. But I'll have to lug another lens around if the Batis can't hold its own for urban landscape.

Time, and testing, will tell.

--d

Post Thanks / Like

I the not exactly huge Leica WATE perform just fine on the A7 cameras, I have no doubt we will see an 18mm Batis, or thereabouts. I also suspect that Zeiss will 'reinforce success' and push out a 35mm f1.8 to offer something in between the tiny 35mm f2.8 Sonnar and the much larger 35mm f1.4 distagon. Total guesswork, but it would make sense for them to produce a full line (50mm f1.4?), despite Sony's Zeiss branded offerings in those focal lengths.

Post Thanks / Like

It will be interesting to see if the Batis range takes over the Loxias, or if Zeiss will keep producing both series.
    Somehow, it doesn't make sense to have the same focal range covered twice, on the other hand, perhaps the Loxias cost almost nothing to Zeiss, since they pretty much are adaptations of the ZM range (so very minimal R&D cost).

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I am thinking, Miska. My logic is this:

The FE/E mount is going to grow like wildfire in the next 5 years. I could be wrong, but I think my money would be safe.
    Zeiss is aiming to exploit this.
    The Loxias are great, but they are niche lenses that were easy to Zeiss to get out the door in the early days, but they have limited mass appeal.
    The reception to the Batis lenses has been superb. Lots of excitement. People even like the manual focus implimentation.

Therefore....

Sony will continue to cover the budget/standard lenses.
    Sony Zeiss and G lenses will be deconflicted in terms of spec with Zeiss Batis offerings.
    Zeiss will push out a more extensive Batis line with priority over Loxias, because the Batis line will sell much better.
    Zeiss may then expand the Loxia line for videographers and MF fans if they are confident it will not sabotage their Batis sales.

The Batis line is what most premium buyers have been looking for, I think. They are a high performance compromise in terms of aperture and size and I could see the same thinking being extended from 18mm up to 135mm, potentially. Nothign too fast or too big, but superb technical performance. Let's see!

Post Thanks / Like

Just got my Batis 25 and 85. This is a test shot with the 85mm

Post Thanks / Like

One more with the 85mm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidstock View Post
    I'm still a bit bummed out about the Batis 85mm's pincushion distortion. The early jpeg samples I'm seeing aren't helping.

Uncorrected, for the kinds of things I shoot, the distortion is...Well, it's ugly, IMO. What will happen to the lens' resolution when it's corrected? That's a big question mark for me. Maybe I'll be convinced, and move into the "new era" of lens design. Or maybe not.

I'm waiting for somebody to test this aspect of the lens. Or at least kindly supply a nice detailed uncorrected raw file of a rectilinear subject, so I can try to figure it out myself using manual corrections.
    I want the Batis for its modest size, weight and, hopefully, optical quality across the frame. But I'll have to lug another lens around if the Batis can't hold its own for urban landscape.

Time, and testing, will tell.

--d
    David, from what I've seen, the Batis 85 does not produce that much pincushioning. I will do some more tests and can send a RAW file to you. Yes, it is not perfect, but pretty close to it.

I too am looking for the smallest package with the best quality, it has been a long road, but we are getting there and I have faith

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    Just got my Batis 25 and 85. This is a test shot with the 85mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    One more with the 85mm
    Ario, could you provide the EXIF information for those two shots. I was able to extract the shutter speed but not aperture, exposure bias or ISO. Thanks. Hand-held?

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Ario, could you provide the EXIF information for those two shots. I was able to extract the shutter speed but not aperture, exposure bias or ISO. Thanks. Hand-held?

Joe
    Sure, the first one is f: 3.5 ISO 100, the second one is f:8.0 ISO 160. Both hand-held, the camera was A7M2 (i realize now I misplaced the sample shots).

Post Thanks / Like

David, from what I've seen, the Batis 85 does not produce that much pincushioning. I will do some more tests and can send a RAW file to you. Yes, it is not perfect, but pretty close to it.

I too am looking for the smallest package with the bestquality, it has been a long road, but we are getting there and I have faith
    Thanks very much. I'd love to get a test file. I've seen some sample images that look a bit scary on the distortion front. Some examples: the shelving in the middle image here: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/56217493. Or the skyscraper photo near the bottom of this post: http://www.talkemount.com/threads/13185/.

Hopefully all will be fixed through the magic of software without too much damage....

--d

Post Thanks / Like

Any consensus yet on how the Batis 25 does at infinity?

Looks very nice, but I want to be sure it's not like the Sonnar on the RX1, which apparently is tuned somehow for better short- and medium-range sharpness, and is supposedly rather weak at infinity.

I don't pretend to have any understanding of why that might be. I would be using the Batis for street and architecture photography, but also for landscape, where infinity performance is obviously hugely important.

cheers,
    spence

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to pass the time while waiting for the A7RII to arrive next week........

During my initial testing of the Batis 25 at home, I took some pictures shooting straight into the sun. Here are the samples. I have cropped the right side of all images so the aspect ratio is changed. I did this for privacy reasons. These were taken without any lens corrections in camera. Apart from the cropping nothing else has been done, all are SOOC otherwise.

The images compare the excellent 16-35 f4 with (IMHO) the even better Batis 25 f2

I took these more to look at CA and flare, not sharpness. However, to my eyes the Batis does look sharper as well. It does fall behind in CA wide open, but that disappears by f5.6 - look at the top left of the image. The flare on the 16-24 makes the image look foggy and darker.

I really like the clarity and lack of flare with the Batis even when the sun is beating down into it.

Pradeep

Many thanks for these comparisons.
    The flare resistance of the 25/2 convinced me to get this lens.

Question: How flare resistant is the Batis 85/1.8? TIA.
    With best regards, K-H.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks to a forum member who gave me a lead. I now have the 25mm on its way. I know what I'm shooting this weekend. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com