Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Batis 25/f2 and 85/f1.8 on the A7R, first impressions

Post Thanks / Like

Batis 25/f2 and 85/f1.8 on the A7R, first impressions

So I got my lenses today. There was not too much time to test but I did manage a few comparisons.

The Batis 25 f2:

This is an absolute no brainer. I would say it is a must buy for anybody looking for the best and sharpest wide angle on the A7R. I compared it to my 16-35 Sony/Zeiss f4 set at 25mm and there is simply no comparison.

Sharpness: At f2 it is sharper than the Sony at f4 (both wide open) in the center as well as corners. The Sony never catches up, while the Batis gets a bit sharper up to say f4-5.6 beyond which there is not much improvement. Even when fully stopped down at f22, I did not notice much diffraction.
    Contrast: Zeiss wins hands down, the color is also much better, seems like there is a foggy film in front of the Sony in comparison.
    Vignetting: Slight (half stop) at f2, gone by f2.8
    CA: Well, the only thing it does worse than the Sony is that it has more CA, which almost disappears at f5.6 and is completely gone at f8.
    Flare: I shot directly into the sun and was pleasantly surprised to note that there was minimal flare if any while the Sony had huge flare issues.
    Distortion: Minimal to none

The weight and heft are better than the 16-35 and the focus ring is so smooth. Did not test the AF much.

Tomorrow I will test it against the Canon 16-35 f4 IS and the 24-70MkII with the Metabones adapter. I also tested it against an older Zeiss 21 f2.8 Biogon, will evaluate those images later.

The Batis 85 f1.8:

Have not had much time with this one. I did compare it briefly with my Leica 90 Elmarit and both are about equal in terms of sharpness -center and edge, interestingly, the Zeiss is able to provide as good an image at f1.8 as the Leica at 2.8 (both wide open). Will do some more testing tomorrow.

Surprisingly, both the 25 and the 85 are very similar in size and weight.

A couple of images, straight out of the camera, no sharpening, no exposure adjustments, just corrected the rotation a bit. Both with the 85 at f1.8. The bokeh is beautiful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GDPI_201503.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	170.6 KB 
ID:	93534   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GDPI_201502.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	462.9 KB 
ID:	93535  
    Too much to list, let's just say I have a bad case of GAS.........
    Thanks 8 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Batis 25/f2 and 85/f1.8 on the A7R, first impressions

Checking out the images again, it seems I was a bit unfair to the Sony 16-35, shooting into the sun, the flare resulted in some loss of sharpness, however, evaluating images not taken into the sun, there is still a significant advantage to the Batis. This one is really a keeper. Compared to the Zeiss Biogon 21/2.8 it is sharper, more contrasty and overall better. The former is smaller but you then need an adapter and lose AF, it has more vignetting too (it also costs more than the Batis).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep View Post
    Checking out the images again, it seems I was a bit unfair to the Sony 16-35, shooting into the sun, the flare resulted in some loss of sharpness, however, evaluating images not taken into the sun, there is still a significant advantage to the Batis. This one is really a keeper. Compared to the Zeiss Biogon 21/2.8 it is sharper, more contrasty and overall better. The former is smaller but you then need an adapter and lose AF, it has more vignetting too (it also costs more than the Batis).
    If you have the Sony 28 f2 would love to see it compared w the 25 Batis.
    Also against the Sigma 24mm 1.4 Art

Thanks for the feedback.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

...Compared to the Zeiss Biogon 21/2.8 it is sharper, more contrasty and overall better. The former is smaller but you then need an adapter and lose AF, it has more vignetting too (it also costs more than the Batis)....
    Thank you for the excellent report. I assume you mean the ZM 21/2.8, which is definitely not optimized for the A7 series. Looking forward to your comparison against the two Canon lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Always good to hear and see first impressions, thank you.
    The Batis is 475g, the Elmarit 410 grams, no big deal, and the same with adapter on the M. The major difference users will see - beyond AF/MF, speed and OIS and no adapter - is the lack of midfield curvature at f1.8-f2.8 which sorrowfully plagues so many Leica M lenses, even the short telephotos. Plus speed of operation and stability. TBH, it may be hard to take a poor shot with it. I have done a lot of looking and its bokeh and warmer tone rendering are better than the Otus 85 - to me.

You will definitely notice the difference if you place a subject - say a pretty woman (!) half way out from the center towards the wide edge - even at f1.8 the Batis is absolutely world class in this respect, and the profile will make it even better, as distortion correction mostly robs only the far outer frame, still great even so. Since I need this 'all of frame' capability, and can't choose very often in my street work, I am looking forward to it with licked lips. Also, the Batis remains tidy at small apertures, f5.6-f8, the small residual curvature disappears entirely. In Aust the delivery is drifting further back. I should get an early one, but right now it's out to October.

To get final kudos, the 25/2 must climb above the Distagon 21/2.8, not the ray angle challenged Biogon. But the 25mm is a very different lens, smaller, better FL (for me), lighter, faster, no adapter, great from f2, 335 grams, it's quite the package, and a great choice. So the message of both Batises is this - high IQ versatility at an affordable price! cheers.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a lot of samples to post and Raw's. I'll get to it later today.
    Last edited by Guy Mancuso; 18th July 2015 at 01:31.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Ute View Post

Thanks for the feedback.
    Sorry, do not have those. I did check it against my Leica 28 Elmarit but I had dropped the Leica a while ago and I am sure that knocked it off a bit, because the edge is much softer than I remember.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I have a lot of samples to post and Raw's. I'll get to it later today.
    Looking forward to it Guy. My testing is very basic and done in the backyard mostly. More like an impression than a real comparison.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by philip_pj View Post
    Always good to hear and see first impressions, thank you.
    The Batis is 475g, the Elmarit 410 grams, no big deal, and the same with adapter on the M. The major difference users will see - beyond AF/MF, speed and OIS and no adapter - is the lack of midfield curvature at f1.8-f2.8 which sorrowfully plagues so many Leica M lenses, even the short telephotos. Plus speed of operation and stability. TBH, it may be hard to take a poor shot with it. I have done a lot of looking and its bokeh and warmer tone rendering are better than the Otus 85 - to me.

You will definitely notice the difference if you place a subject - say a pretty woman (!) half way out from the center towards the wide edge - even at f1.8 the Batis is absolutely world class in this respect, and the profile will make it even better, as distortion correction mostly robs only the far outer frame, still great even so. Since I need this 'all of frame' capability, and can't choose very often in my street work, I am looking forward to it with licked lips. Also, the Batis remains tidy at small apertures, f5.6-f8, the small residual curvature disappears entirely. In Aust the delivery is drifting further back. I should get an early one, but right now it's out to October.

To get final kudos, the 25/2 must climb above the Distagon 21/2.8, not the ray angle challenged Biogon. But the 25mm is a very different lens, smaller, better FL (for me), lighter, faster, no adapter, great from f2, 335 grams, it's quite the package, and a great choice. So the message of both Batises is this - high IQ versatility at an affordable price! cheers.
    I did not see much field curvature with the 90 Elmarit but will look for it again. I must confess, it has been the least used of my Leica glass.

I agree, the best part of the deal with the Batis lenses is the price - well worth the money, all things considered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay kids . Some real quickies . Ill give you raws to play with. So far its really freaking good.

Some thoughts I already posted

Okay you have to be in Manual focus mode to make the changes by default it is set to MF only so start there get to infinity than turn another 360 degrees. Its funny it did not say be in MF mode in the instructions. So take note of this. First off the lens is very lightweight and to me at least pretty small. I come from 85 1.4 so take that with a grain of salt. I have the vertical grip on at its a perfect balance. It looks very sharp , focuses fairly quick in all AF modes with Phase on and off. I just shot a bunch of quickies and it seemed to keep up nicely even focus tracking. Okay lunch than I will upload. This thing is going to scream with the new A7RII

I have some more images to post in morning. I did want to mention manual focus fly by wire here. It's not really bad at all focusing at 100 percent to your eye. Something you have to get used too but it is accurate. When I sell my A7ii when the A7rII comes I'll use that money for the 25. After this gig the A7II will hit the market. Weird thing is here is I see no pre-orders shipped yet but small venders getting 2 each. Mine came from Allens Camera they got 2 each.

Here are the raws above. Play around

https://www.hightail.com/download/bX...cGs1Ujd2WnNUQw
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

working on more images now. AFC tracking is really good I tested it a couple times and seems to track very well. Should be far better with the A7RII over the A7III which these are shot with

Post Thanks / Like

I did want to mention manual focus fly by wire here.
    Hello Guy, thanks for the test shots. Fly by wire is what kicked me out off Sony A7r (+ bizarre AF settings and all) and fuji. I can't get used to it at all.
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea either you get used to it or you don't.

Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are the raws for these, maybe one or two extra in there.

https://www.hightail.com/dl?phi_acti...bba2af43a9422e

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pradeep & Guy,

Thanks for posting first impressions, comparisons and photos using the two Batis lenses. With B&H moving its availability date to mid-August, I'll have to live vicariously through your experiences until then. Post more images. I'm drooling already.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Great colouration to these samples and the 85/1.8 really seems to have the kind of 'pop' normally associated with Leica lenses.

I only hope this means my 25/2 on pre-order is going to show soon, this week would ideal.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea its a Zeiss no question there.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Pradeep & Guy,

Thanks for posting first impressions, comparisons and photos using the two Batis lenses. With B&H moving its availability date to mid-August, I'll have to live vicariously through your experiences until then. Post more images. I'm drooling already.

Joe
    Picked up both of mine today too.

Joe if you're near Raleigh you may want to call Southeastern Camera. That's where mine were bought but were paid for back in April. They were allocated 6 of each including the demos but only mine came in but there's a chance that more will be in soon.
    Last edited by iiiNelson; 18th July 2015 at 13:08.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the files! Color and sharpness look great. When they open in ACR, the files apparently have CA correction already applied in camera. But not distortion correction.

I find some of the pincushion distortion disturbing on the buildings and utility poles. No big surprise; we knew it was gonna be there. I'm finding that distortion can be manually semi-corrected at around slider value -5 to -7, depending on the situation. This puts the 85 in the same range as the 70-200 G at certain focal lengths.

I'm sure you have other things to do than make samples for us. But if you do get to shoot some squared-up architecture, I would love to see images with distortion correction enabled in camera. If the corners are still sharp, I'm good to go.

--d

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome images Guy. Keep em coming.

I did some more comparisons this morning with the Canon 24-70 MkII and the 16-35 f4 (the 25/2).

Also ran the 85/1.8 against the Leica 90 elmarit again, and the Canon 70-200 f4 IS, the Canon 100 2.8 Macro, the Sony/Zeiss 24-70 2.8

In all instances, the new Batis lenses outperform anything else that I have currently - both in center sharpness and edges. On doing more comparisons with the Sony 16-35 f4, the Sony is actually quite sharp for a zoom, but it falls down in increased distortion, much more flare, somewhat softer edges and needs to stop down for center sharpness where the Batis still does a bit better.

It is amazing how sharp the 25 is wide open, but at f4-5.6 even the edges are superb. Will be a great lens for night photography.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidstock View Post
    Thanks for the files! Color and sharpness look great. When they open in ACR, the files apparently have CA correction already applied in camera. But not distortion correction.

I find some of the pincushion distortion disturbing on the buildings and utility poles. No big surprise; we knew it was gonna be there. I'm finding that distortion can be manually semi-corrected at around slider value -5 to -7, depending on the situation. This puts the 85 in the same range as the 70-200 G at certain focal lengths.

I'm sure you have other things to do than make samples for us. But if you do get to shoot some squared-up architecture, I would love to see images with distortion correction enabled in camera. If the corners are still sharp, I'm good to go.

--d
    David, not the best of images, but here are a couple of shots of my garage. The first one is with the 25/f2 at f4, the second with the 85/1.8 at 1.8 Lens correction in camera disabled, none applied in LR either. Just as it came out (there is a default intake sharpness applied in LR to all images and I've left it at that). No color or exposure corrections done.

The building is over 60 yrs old and the roof line sags in the middle, that is not distortion, it will appear exaggerated with pincushioning as it does here.

As far as I can tell, there is minimal barrel distortion with the 25 and again slight pincushioning with the 85. These should be easily correctible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GDPI_201501-6.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	705.8 KB 
ID:	93559   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GDPI_201502-2.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	681.0 KB 
ID:	93560  

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

--d
    David I did this handheld since I did not bring my tripod. Obviously some question marks on things lining up correctly. Looks pretty good but Im still working on a better shot.

I drew in red lines to give us some idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, that looks great. Very minimal if any pincushioning. That is what I've noted. The lenses are amazingly free of such issues.

Did you check the 85 for CA? I will try those shots later.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Pradeep and Guy. Guy, was that shot with or without in-camera distortion correction?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quick impressions from test shots around my place. The 85/1.8 is phenomenal. The 25/2 is even more amazing than the aforementioned believe it or not. These two combined with my Sony Zeiss 35/1.4, 55/1.8, and 135/1.8 make for an amazing kit.

My only complaint is that neither lens is suitable for IR photography.

Post Thanks / Like

Man, thx Guy an Pradeep for all the info!

I have one question. Being that the new lenses are focus by wire, is the manual focus throw adjustable in any way?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_R View Post
    Man, thx Guy an Pradeep for all the info!

I have one question. Being that the new lenses are focus by wire, is the manual focus throw adjustable in any way?
    I don't know that it is adjustable in the sense that you can change it, but it is really long and allows for very careful manual focusing. Also, it is variable depending upon how slow/fast you turn the focus ring. The faster you turn it, the quicker it goes through the range. You can go from MFD to infinity in about 2/3rd of a turn, but if you go slow, you cover a small distance in the same amount. I don't think I've come across this in any lens before. Very user friendly, IMHO.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know that it is adjustable in the sense that you can change it, but it is really long and allows for very careful manual focusing. Also, it is variable depending upon how slow/fast you turn the focus ring. The faster you turn it, the quicker it goes through the range. You can go from MFD to infinity in about 2/3rd of a turn, but if you go slow, you cover a small distance in the same amount. I don't think I've come across this in any lens before. Very user friendly, IMHO.
    All focus by wire Sony FE lenses work this way but these lenses definitely feel better in my hands than any other to me. A range scale also appears in the EVF while turning the focus ring to let you know if you're near the minimum close focus distance or infinity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Pradeep and Guy. Guy, was that shot with or without in-camera distortion correction?
    Without. I turn all that stuff off in camera. I processed in C1 also..

I still have some shots I want to do as well. But between the few of us that actually have them in our hands, some answers will come around.

Now this coming from me because I am used to big lenses , I find the 85 very well balanced both with and without the vertical grip. It's also very light weight too. To me it's smaller than any 85 1.4 but bigger than some 85 1.8 lenses. I would say middle of the road but you won't hear me complain about any of that.

Focusing by wire is interesting, it's not as bad as the 55 which I had a hard time with. This seems a bit more manual focus friendly. I have no problem nailing it both with zoom on and off. Maybe because it's a longer lens the throw seems nice and smooth. I have not tried to go really fast and reality is if you wanted to that, I would think your just better off in AF. You could do both with rear button on camera in manual focus mode hit middle button to get there than release and fine tune manually. But AF does seem fairly accurate.

I have to play with the speed versus feel a little more with fly by wire. But it's better than the 55 that I know for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tre posted the same time as me so glad he has the same impression with fly by wire. This lens is pretty darn good. One reason I sold my 55 was it was not as friendly fly by wire. Having the Loxia 50 obviously solves that. I'm a 35 guy so having a 35/85 is my main primary glass than I'll add that 25 along with my VC 15 and I'm in lens heaven. After that I'll work on longer. I do have the 70-200 F4 this week as a rental. Been playing with AFC with it and nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh so it's variable. That is cool. Thx for the info. Yeah, never seen that before.

(Although makes this lens unsuitable for a video rig with focus pull, well at least it can't be marked at set intervals since it varies depending on speed of use)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Tre posted the same time as me so glad he has the same impression with fly by wire. This lens is pretty darn good. One reason I sold my 55 was it was not as friendly fly by wire. Having the Loxia 50 obviously solves that. I'm a 35 guy so having a 35/85 is my main primary glass than I'll add that 25 along with my VC 15 and I'm in lens heaven. After that I'll work on longer. I do have the 70-200 F4 this week as a rental. Been playing with AFC with it and nice.
    Guy my original reaction to Focus by Wire was pure hate (to the point that early on I used my ZM50 as much as my 55FE) but eventually I got used to it. I'm pretty sure that if you tried the 55FE now it would "jive" better but for street/candid shooting I'd tend to agree that the Loxia's may be a better choice.

Once my kit is "complete" I think I may revisit the Loxia's for the days I can just take it very slow.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally, almost 2 years after the announcement of the A7 series, there is a world class lens wider than 35mm available, tuned to the sensor.

I certainly would get the lens if I shot a stock A7x, but I would check the centering very closely within the return window.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Pradeep, Guy and Tre:

Kudos for taking the time to evaluate these two lenses. But I don't know whether to thank you or blame you. I've got the 55, both 35s and the 28. Now I have to get the 25? Where does this end. Couldn't you just lie to me and say they're no good? Guy, at least lend me that ski mask.

The really good news is that the focal length coverage is really becoming quite workable.
    Regards,
    John
    Sony fanboy, shamelessly shilling for "the man" since 2010.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jfirneno View Post

Kudos for taking the time to evaluate these two lenses. But I don't know whether to thank you or blame you. I've got the 55, both 35s and the 28. Now I have to get the 25? Where does this end. Couldn't you just lie to me and say they're no good? Guy, at least lend me that ski mask.

The really good news is that the focal length coverage is really becoming quite workable.
    If you're happy with the 28/2 then keep it and look no further. If money is no object I think you will find that the 25 destroys the 28 but at a price in currency and a little extra weight if that's of consequence to you.

I'm not really a 28mm guy (it's probably one of my least favorite focal lengths for me as I either want 35 or UWA.) I almost bought it solely on its relatively inexpensive price and pairing with the 55FE. The 25 is a much better choice for me as I can see pairing with the 55 or 85 (or my 35 and the 85) to cover most things with a couple lenses. My 135 covers the long end... For now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jfirneno View Post

John, it never really ends!

The quest continues and when there is a newer and better product we are all going to lust for it. Just think how far we've come since the early days of digital. Up until now, the cost of 'upgrade' was prohibitive. Sony has changed all that. These two lenses are so much more versatile, sharper and well suited to the A7R that they are simply a 'must buy' for anybody looking to get something in this focal length. The fact that they are cheaper than anything in their class before is simply the icing on an already beautiful cake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another sample at 1.8 handheld

Post Thanks / Like

Lovely, Guy. The right eye is super sharp, perfect portrait lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the simple. They look great and I can't wait to try them. I already have both lenses, but waiting for my A7rii to deliver, hopefully next week in Hong Kong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Couple more in the shade

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Ute View Post

Thanks for the feedback.
    I would also like to see some A/B shots between the Batis 25/2 and the Sony 28/2.

I have seen some online comparisons between the Batis 25/2 and the Sony 28/2 that make them look all but indistinguishable.

I don't own either and have been very happy with the outstanding Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 FE and the Sony 16-35 FE but I am curious.

-Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the examples at f2.8 and f3.2 I would say the oof areas are smoother and more attractive than the Sony FE 90/2.8 Macro G I have been using for the past 3 weeks.

Which means that if portraiture and not macro is your thing the Batis is better for you.

Just my two cents.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

Guy,

I am liking your last set of portrait shots with the 85mm a lot. That is why I ordered one too, for a good close portrait type of photo. I sold a couple of 90mm lenses, including my Leica Elmarit. It was a fine lens, but with manual focus, I was just missing the fine focus on too many shots. The focus on the Batis looks to be right on; in fact perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I actually like the 3.2 . We get nice DOF but still great OOF areas.

Im really happy with this lens. Getting the 25mm too once I get some more cash flow going.

Turns out I need to shoot it tonight with the A6000 on some stage stuff. My assistant Im sending in the other room the A7II with the 70-200 F4 in crop mode.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for posting the images Guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    If you're happy with the 28/2 then keep it and look no further. If money is no object I think you will find that the 25 destroys the 28 but at a price in currency and a little extra weight if that's of consequence to you.
    The comparisons I've seen from Steve Huff and various others on the web don't show the 25 Batis destroying the 28 FE. In fact, they're very close.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lambert View Post
    The comparisons I've seen from Steve Huff and various others on the web don't show the 25 Batis destroying the 28 FE. In fact, they're very close.
    If you don't see the differences then get the 28/2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There is a reason the CV90 was f3.5 and the small CY 100mm was f3.5. Haven't used the CV but I bet it's great from wide open, as is the CY. You often benefit from this aperture at this FL range, and end up with a smaller neater package.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/voigtland...m-f35.htm#spex

The B85 gives you the choice of stop, with high IQ wide open, and in dim interiors should work at the same s/speeds as an unstabilized f1.4 due to OIS, if like most you find the OOF acceptable.

Best course of action for 25-28 dilemmas is to consider your usage and frequency of use. The B25 will be more versatile, going by its MTF. Not everyone likes or needs the Zeiss look, however, nor the price tag attached. I tentatively see the FE28 more as a general purpose, light use lens - families, walks. The B25 is more a serious performance lens maybe, deep landscapes, dim ambient lighting shooting - time will tell. Both will sell well.

I got this from Zeiss today:
    "Due to the numerous pre-orders, there is a possibility that our first deliveries to some dealers are already sold out. We are doing our utmost to ensure that our dealers have a continual supply of ZEISS Batis. Nevertheless, long delivery times may occur over the coming months."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    If you don't see the differences then get the 28/2.
    I'm not saying I don't see differences. I just don't (going by current comparisons) see the Batis "destroying" the 28 FE.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lambert View Post
    I'm not saying I don't see differences. I just don't (going by current comparisons) see the Batis "destroying" the 28 FE.
    Well it's all in the look, microcontrast, and transitions for me. I'm a huge fan of Zeiss "3D" look though so there's some underlying bias. For me it is subjectively destroying the 28/2 which is a really good lens in it's own right (you always get the caveat of "for the price" thrown in when mentioned) but it's not the 25 Batis which I haven't found any reservations about in regards to look, color, sharpness, microcontrast, or distortion thus far.

Post Thanks / Like

Batis 25mm, first shots

I love this lens...sharp, sharp, sharp. Lovely color. Very nice handling. Even the focus-by-wire isn't bad.

I don't have a cat, so I'll have to start out with a brick wall shot...

Batis 25mm at ƒ2.0 on A7II

Larger version on Flickr

And a few more around the neighborhood -

Batis 25mm at ƒ2.8 on A7II

Batis 25mm at ƒ4.0 on A7II

Batis 25mm at ƒ8.0 on A7II
    Last edited by MikeEvangelist; 23rd July 2015 at 08:11.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post