The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RX100 IV orverheating :(

Rawfa

Wow, this really sucks. The RX100 IV has overheating issues after less than 5 minutes recording 4K!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naUfxl-b2FA

One BIG plus why I'm planing to get the A7RII is 4k...after watching this video I'm REALLY hesitant...although I would think that for us$3200 Sony knows that if something like this happens on the A7RII it would be like spiting on the face of it's customers, as there are A LOT of people on the film community that are getting this camera exclusively for video.

ggibson

Hmm, lots of threads on DPReview about the RX100 IV without any mention of overheating issues. Maybe it's just his copy?

jfirneno

Wow, this really sucks. The RX100 IV has overheating issues after less than 5 minutes recording 4K!!

One BIG plus why I'm planing to get the A7RII is 4k...after watching this video I'm REALLY hesitant...although I would think that for us$3200 Sony knows that if something like this happens on the A7RII it would be like spiting on the face of it's customers, as there are A LOT of people on the film community that are getting this camera exclusively for video.
Early adoption is definitely not for the risk averse. If you do not have the option of thoroughly vetting a new camera before the guarranteed return date (e.g., Amazon's policy) then you are taking a risk with early adoption. Unless you're in a terrible hurry, wait until the camera has been out for 3 to 6 months and then evaluate the available reviews against your every need and at that point make an informed decision. Right now all you are seeing is hearsay and speculation based on brief access to some demo samples. Hang in there Rafael. You're not alone, we all want to know how good this next camera is. But we'll just have to wait.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member

Really?

Time for a reality check... 4K and above is a huge undertaking ... from a digital standpoint.

My Red Epic in 5K had a fan that would have made the Harrier Jump Jet a bit jealous...nothing you would
use for an intimate interview setting.

Someting for nothing is the new sales pitch of most camera manufacturers ... for the prosumer market. Those in the pro market know better than
pushing marginal hardware for such an intensive digital capture and codec.

The R10 Mk II Samsung NX 1000 Pana LX 100 may be better choices ... or step up to the Canon XC10.

The A7s with an off board recorder does great 4K.

Most Pro camcorders at this level have fans ... pushing all those electrons around in such a small space creates a bunch
of heat.

4K - get a real camera ... and the Sony A7 series or the Pana GH4 seem to make it work. Enough mass to dissipate the
thermal excess of 4K.

Bob

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
At the moment this is just speculation. Just because it happened to the RX100 IV it doesn´t mean it will necessarily happen to the A7RII. The A7S with the an atomos recorder will be almost as expensive as and A7RII and it won´t have IBIS, fast AF with native and non native lenses....crucial for me.

Video guys might want to check this out:

News Shooter | Sony a7R II first impressions: Hands on with the surprising 4K camera
No the A7RII should be fine ... But may not be such an improvement over the A7s or potential A7s - video wise...and again may be the most amazing thing around!

Interesting times :thumbup:

Bob

Lars

On the same topic my phone got a firmware upgrade to 4K. Totally useless of course, overheats in a few minutes unless it runs out of battery.

Reminds me of the Pelican Imaging 3D technology I worked on a few years ago - the first demo units had to be cooled on dry ice to make a demo possible. :D

Technology will improve with new releases, but sometimes new hardware is required. I hope Sony can fix this through firmware.