The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

re A7rII.. Does it not seem a tad strange that..

stephen.s1

..B&H is planning on shipping that camera on August 5th, and there have been no published reviews/sample photos yet? What's up with Sony's reticence?

anGy

At least here's two I shot last saturday.
Shot at mid day, street in shadow and very bright sky.
Not very impressed by the resolution but dynamic range looks quite impressive.
(rem: shot with pre-serie body, raw cannot be shared)

Biglou

Not impressed, in what way?
Yes, tell us, is it by comparing with, say, A7r ?
In that case if you did not find a great difference it seems normal, many more pixels are needed for a perceived increase in definition.
If you found definition not to be as good as A7r then this could be a real disapointment.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

anGy

Not impressed, in what way?
Not sure, don't want to comment too much based on a 'few minutes in the street with the camera' kind of test.
Overall images look good but rather flat, not much 3D / pop effect from the pictures (although I believe I know some very good clarity / structure / high pass with radius variation techniques).
The firmware was not definitive but I've found the noise level very good and highlights recovery in C1 8 just amazing.
(I'm a CCD user (Leica S), used to a 12EV DR sensor with weak ISO performance but lot of pop and natural drawing).

This sample looks good at this size but is lacking crispness and depth at large size:
(sorry cannot post raw files or 100% crops)

These files look yucky on my calibrated NEC. Tones look dull and luminance and saturation don't seem to be linear, with upper midrange and highlights quite washed out.

Are they processed in LR/ACR with a profile that's supposed to be appropriate for the camera? Are they straight out of the camera, or was there some post-processing?

I've pre-ordered, but wouldn't want a sensor that consistently produced files like these. No, not getting panicky at this early stage; but certainly concerned.

Kirk

iiiNelson

These files look yucky on my calibrated NEC. Tones look dull and luminance and saturation don't seem to be linear, with upper midrange and highlights quite washed out.

Are they processed in LR/ACR with a profile that's supposed to be appropriate for the camera? Are they straight out of the camera, or was there some post-processing?

I've pre-ordered, but wouldn't want a sensor that consistently produced files like these. No, not getting panicky at this early stage; but certainly concerned.

Kirk
Not to disparage anyone but it could be the user's exposure technique (the highlights seem to be right on the cusp of being over exposed on my screen) combined with a much higher dynamic range than the user is used to (higher DR is often is associated with "flatter images" before processing.) In my experience with Sony cameras most "properly exposed" (read: ETTR) images benefit from dialing in -1/3 to -1EV of exposure compensation.

I'd withhold final reservations until more image samples and cameras are out in the hands of many. Just my opinion though.

philip_pj

Waaaay too early, TK. I'm surprised to see anything at all, as Sony leaks as much as a battleship these days.

The images feature no blacks and are very bright even in flat overcast - no shadows from bollards, etc. 'Blacks' look light charcoal etc. Lens? etc.

This camera will land with a splash like an Apollo re-entry vehicle, no one will be prepared for it. Blam! I wonder if early review copies are out there yet? Nothing from the usual suspects like Brian Smith and Sony Aust.

UHDR

i think sony is heading towards videography way of capture more DR. basically make the raw/SOOC as flat as possible to maximise DR, then it will be up to the post processing to grade (re-colour) the photo. they must assume everyone has a professional colorist at home on standby:grin:

but agree with most, way too early to make a judgement.

nsng

Sony Singapore sent me an invitation to a pre-launch of the A7rll on 29 July. Unfortunately, I have been informed I will not be able to use my SD card to record the images as the embargo on posting images from the A7rll will still be in effect:(.

Jim DE

Many of the images I have seen were taken by Canikon users and they appear a bit over exposed. Not their fault as they are most likely used to their gear and just grab this camera and shoot with the exposure setting at 0. I have never owned a Minolta/Sony camera that did not need a bit of - exposure compensation for its best results. I am sure the a7rII will be no different in this regard.

The shots I see on this thread imo are slightly over exposed which will make them appear flat and lifeless. The first image I can't tell whee it was focused by looking at the bricks on the street. My first thought is there was movement of the camera during the shot which made it look as it does. Not hard to do as a new smaller body in the hands and a blast out a camera stores door to quickly do some test shots.... I might of had the same thing happen.

Every camera I have ever bought has its own quirks that one has to recognize and adjust for and that takes time with the tool. What we see on the web are shots done in minutes or at most hours with the camera in hand. The a7II was a stellar release I really don't think the a7rII will be any less especially since they see the demand for it is so high because it has attracted even more shooters from the other camps. I like Guy am not worried one bit about the a7rII being a stellar photographic tool. I just don't see Sony as a company that can or will make a critical error with a new product and negatively effect their forward progression in this mirrorless full frame market. Now come on 8/4/15 ;-)

Here's another hands on Sony Creates a MONSTER! The new A7RII..see my hands on report! | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS