The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

re A7rII.. Does it not seem a tad strange that..

turtle

I don't think anyone should worry. When was the last 'bad' Sony sensor? When was the last Sony sensor that was not top of class? Yes, we can talk profiles all day, but Sony = ace sensors.

I suspect the above results are huge DR plus profile plus processing issues.

High DR often means flat SOOC images and low perceived microcontrast. However, with decent processing, the microcontrast available out of the A7R Mk I and a top lens is phenomenal, so I cannot see this being any different.

Time will tell.

Biglou

Sony Singapore sent me an invitation to a pre-launch of the A7rll on 29 July. Unfortunately, I have been informed I will not be able to use my SD card to record the images as the embargo on posting images from the A7rll will still be in effect:(.
Hi,
29 of july is the day i am supposed to receive mine here in Paris, strange this embargo when deliveries already began.
Well, one more week and i will be able to see myself.

gazwas

Hi,
29 of july is the day i am supposed to receive mine here in Paris, strange this embargo when deliveries already began.
Well, one more week and i will be able to see myself.
One week until people get their cameras (probably already the way from the factory) and still Sony won't let people take images on their own SD card's at launch events is just weird? I can't believe the event cameras still have pre-production firmware so don't understand the twitchiness from Sony on this.

Jim DE

Ever since Brian swore the ZM18 was good edge to edge on the A7r, I don't trust a thing he says. A sony sales person with a pedigree. He confirmed the claim to me on twitter back in the day, and I believed him.

However, I have no doubt the r2 will make some wonderful images in local hands :)
Ultimately, I don't trust anyone except me on the web... I have been burned before and would really be ticked if a $3200 camera body burns me. But I will have no one but me to blame as no one but me made the decision to order this body.

I only posted those hands on reviews because the OP mentioned Brian as conspicuously vacant on the a7rII not asan endorsement of what he says.

Bottom line , I re ordered because of sony's history since the a77 launch and how they have continuously improved each model of the a7x series and I expect this trend to continue. Am I a it anxious about this? Of course as this is a new sensor and stuff happens but I can return it if it does.

Knorp

Received notice from Sony NL today: delivery, regrettably, postponed till mid August.

Perhaps they had forgotten all about publishing reviews and providing sample photos first before actual shipping ... :facesmack:

:watch:

Last edited:

Jim DE

Knots, that is not good news.... If yours is delayed my bet is ours will be delayed as well it's just a matter of time before we get our dear John letters.

I would rather have a camera that is ready for market than one that we become the beta testers. Maybe they found something that needed a tweak. Not that I shoot video or for that matter ever will but the post about the rx100 over heating in video mode kinda raised a warning flag that the a7rII could be delayed.

Knorp

Knots, that is not good news.... If yours is delayed my bet is ours will be delayed as well it's just a matter of time before we get our dear John letters.

I would rather have a camera that is ready for market than one that we become the beta testers. Maybe they found something that needed a tweak. Not that I shoot video or for that matter ever will but the post about the rx100 over heating in video mode kinda raised a warning flag that the a7rII could be delayed.
It is really too 'knots' for words ! If you pre-order a camera now it shows delivery on 13th or 14th of August.
Oh well, just have to wait a little longer.

All the best.

Biglou

At least they've got the help guide up now: ILCE-7RM2 Help Guide
Help guide is of no help, i don't see " did not receive my camera on time "
While looking at all the functions i was in despair, why don't they take care of the photographer buyer.
They should have a first layer in the menues with the commonly and necessary commands and choices, simple and thought for photographers, like on a Leica.

Then, under this first layer whatever they imagine they want to throw in that we seldom or more surely will never use.

I sent a mail to Sony asking confirmation of the delivery date, 29 or 30 july.

Jim DE

It is really too 'knots' for words ! If you pre-order a camera now it shows delivery on 13th or 14th of August.
Oh well, just have to wait a little longer.

All the best.
Sorry Knorp good ole iPhone spell check at work .....:banghead:

Knorp

Help guide is of no help, i don't see " did not receive my camera on time "
While looking at all the functions i was in despair, why don't they take care of the photographer buyer.
They should have a first layer in the menues with the commonly and necessary commands and choices, simple and thought for photographers, like on a Leica.

Then, under this first layer whatever they imagine they want to throw in that we seldom or more surely will never use.

I sent a mail to Sony asking confirmation of the delivery date, 29 or 30 july.
Agreed, this Help Guide is as weird (or 'knots') as the camera's menu.
But it is helpful nevertheless.

Goodluck asking Sony for confirmation !

All the best.

nsng

Sony Hong Kong announced a pre-order and was almost immediately sold out! Those who were successful will get their A7r m2 on the 2nd week of August. My guess is in Singapore, there is a slight delay. Usually, after the launch it will be available for sale within the next few days. But in this case, it might be 1-2 weeks after the launch. It appears Japan will get the first batch in the first week of August. But the menu is in Japanese and cannot be changed.

Biglou

Agreed, this Help Guide is as weird (or 'knots') as the camera's menu.
But it is helpful nevertheless.

Goodluck asking Sony for confirmation !

All the best.

Well well, Sony answered rather quickly.
A7rII arrives here in France on the 27th of july and i should receive it as stated, two days later.
Cheers...

Biglou

New mail from Sony, deliveries delayed too in France, not before the 14th of august.
Dutch customers are better informed...

Jim DE

Not that I enjoy it but I have grown to accept that a good percentage of Sony product launches are delayed past their initial stated release dates. Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim, and Sony has to push back release dates....... Just the nature of things :(

Sony Store USA is still saying Aug 4th as their ship date but with delays announced by both Europe members here and now NZ I fully expect to get a Sony dear John letter the last few days of July. Oh well we have all been down this road before ... Nothing new here if this happens.