Site Sponsors

Thread: re A7rII.. Does it not seem a tad strange that..

Post Thanks / Like

re A7rII.. Does it not seem a tad strange that..

..B&H is planning on shipping that camera on August 5th, and there have been no published reviews/sample photos yet? What's up with Sony's reticence?
    Stephen

Post Thanks / Like

Re: re A7rII.. Does it not seem a tad strange that..

At least here's two I shot last saturday.
    Shot at mid day, street in shadow and very bright sky.
    Not very impressed by the resolution but dynamic range looks quite impressive.
    (rem: shot with pre-serie body, raw cannot be shared)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anGy View Post
    Not very impressed by the resolution .......
    Not impressed, in what way?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Hard to say without a raw image or an actual pixel crop as a minimum.

Best regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, tell us, is it by comparing with, say, A7r ?
    In that case if you did not find a great difference it seems normal, many more pixels are needed for a perceived increase in definition.
    If you found definition not to be as good as A7r then this could be a real disapointment.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

let's cut to the chase: how is it with M wides?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Amazon also shows the same shipping date.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure, don't want to comment too much based on a 'few minutes in the street with the camera' kind of test.
    Overall images look good but rather flat, not much 3D / pop effect from the pictures (although I believe I know some very good clarity / structure / high pass with radius variation techniques).
    The firmware was not definitive but I've found the noise level very good and highlights recovery in C1 8 just amazing.
    (I'm a CCD user (Leica S), used to a 12EV DR sensor with weak ISO performance but lot of pop and natural drawing).

This sample looks good at this size but is lacking crispness and depth at large size:
    (sorry cannot post raw files or 100% crops)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephen.s1 View Post
    ..B&H is planning on shipping that camera on August 5th, and there have been no published reviews/sample photos yet? What's up with Sony's reticence?
    It could well be a hoax ...

Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

These files look yucky on my calibrated NEC. Tones look dull and luminance and saturation don't seem to be linear, with upper midrange and highlights quite washed out.

Are they processed in LR/ACR with a profile that's supposed to be appropriate for the camera? Are they straight out of the camera, or was there some post-processing?

I've pre-ordered, but wouldn't want a sensor that consistently produced files like these. No, not getting panicky at this early stage; but certainly concerned.

Kirk
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thompsonkirk View Post
    These files look yucky on my calibrated NEC. Tones look dull and luminance and saturation don't seem to be linear, with upper midrange and highlights quite washed out.

Are they processed in LR/ACR with a profile that's supposed to be appropriate for the camera? Are they straight out of the camera, or was there some post-processing?

I've pre-ordered, but wouldn't want a sensor that consistently produced files like these. No, not getting panicky at this early stage; but certainly concerned.

Kirk
    Not to disparage anyone but it could be the user's exposure technique (the highlights seem to be right on the cusp of being over exposed on my screen) combined with a much higher dynamic range than the user is used to (higher DR is often is associated with "flatter images" before processing.) In my experience with Sony cameras most "properly exposed" (read: ETTR) images benefit from dialing in -1/3 to -1EV of exposure compensation.

I'd withhold final reservations until more image samples and cameras are out in the hands of many. Just my opinion though.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not willing to draw any conclusions based upon the above images.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Waaaay too early, TK. I'm surprised to see anything at all, as Sony leaks as much as a battleship these days.

The images feature no blacks and are very bright even in flat overcast - no shadows from bollards, etc. 'Blacks' look light charcoal etc. Lens? etc.

This camera will land with a splash like an Apollo re-entry vehicle, no one will be prepared for it. Blam! I wonder if early review copies are out there yet? Nothing from the usual suspects like Brian Smith and Sony Aust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephen.s1 View Post
    http://briansmith.com/field-test-sony-a7rii/

Post Thanks / Like

i think sony is heading towards videography way of capture more DR. basically make the raw/SOOC as flat as possible to maximise DR, then it will be up to the post processing to grade (re-colour) the photo. they must assume everyone has a professional colorist at home on standby

but agree with most, way too early to make a judgement.
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

Post Thanks / Like

Here another " hands on " and a raw http://blog.proimagenz.com/
    Enough to keep good morale before receiving the thing, in one week...

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm not worried for a second.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sony Singapore sent me an invitation to a pre-launch of the A7rll on 29 July. Unfortunately, I have been informed I will not be able to use my SD card to record the images as the embargo on posting images from the A7rll will still be in effect.

Post Thanks / Like

Many of the images I have seen were taken by Canikon users and they appear a bit over exposed. Not their fault as they are most likely used to their gear and just grab this camera and shoot with the exposure setting at 0. I have never owned a Minolta/Sony camera that did not need a bit of - exposure compensation for its best results. I am sure the a7rII will be no different in this regard.

The shots I see on this thread imo are slightly over exposed which will make them appear flat and lifeless. The first image I can't tell whee it was focused by looking at the bricks on the street. My first thought is there was movement of the camera during the shot which made it look as it does. Not hard to do as a new smaller body in the hands and a blast out a camera stores door to quickly do some test shots.... I might of had the same thing happen.

Every camera I have ever bought has its own quirks that one has to recognize and adjust for and that takes time with the tool. What we see on the web are shots done in minutes or at most hours with the camera in hand. The a7II was a stellar release I really don't think the a7rII will be any less especially since they see the demand for it is so high because it has attracted even more shooters from the other camps. I like Guy am not worried one bit about the a7rII being a stellar photographic tool. I just don't see Sony as a company that can or will make a critical error with a new product and negatively effect their forward progression in this mirrorless full frame market. Now come on 8/4/15 ;-)

Here's another hands on Sony Creates a MONSTER! The new A7RII..see my hands on report! | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I'm not worried for a second.
    Absolutely!

Can't wait, if it is really next week, that would be great. Killer combo with the new Batis lenses
    Too much to list, let's just say I have a bad case of GAS.........

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think anyone should worry. When was the last 'bad' Sony sensor? When was the last Sony sensor that was not top of class? Yes, we can talk profiles all day, but Sony = ace sensors.

I suspect the above results are huge DR plus profile plus processing issues.

High DR often means flat SOOC images and low perceived microcontrast. However, with decent processing, the microcontrast available out of the A7R Mk I and a top lens is phenomenal, so I cannot see this being any different.

Time will tell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nsng View Post
    Sony Singapore sent me an invitation to a pre-launch of the A7rll on 29 July. Unfortunately, I have been informed I will not be able to use my SD card to record the images as the embargo on posting images from the A7rll will still be in effect.
    Hi,
    29 of july is the day i am supposed to receive mine here in Paris, strange this embargo when deliveries already began.
    Well, one more week and i will be able to see myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Biglou View Post
    Hi,
    29 of july is the day i am supposed to receive mine here in Paris, strange this embargo when deliveries already began.
    Well, one more week and i will be able to see myself.
    One week until people get their cameras (probably already the way from the factory) and still Sony won't let people take images on their own SD card's at launch events is just weird? I can't believe the event cameras still have pre-production firmware so don't understand the twitchiness from Sony on this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DE View Post
    Ever since Brian swore the ZM18 was good edge to edge on the A7r, I don't trust a thing he says. A sony sales person with a pedigree. He confirmed the claim to me on twitter back in the day, and I believed him.

However, I have no doubt the r2 will make some wonderful images in local hands

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
    Ever since Brian swore the ZM18 was good edge to edge on the A7r, I don't trust a thing he says. A sony sales person with a pedigree. He confirmed the claim to me on twitter back in the day, and I believed him.

However, I have no doubt the r2 will make some wonderful images in local hands
    Ultimately, I don't trust anyone except me on the web... I have been burned before and would really be ticked if a $3200 camera body burns me. But I will have no one but me to blame as no one but me made the decision to order this body.

I only posted those hands on reviews because the OP mentioned Brian as conspicuously vacant on the a7rII not asan endorsement of what he says.

Bottom line , I re ordered because of sony's history since the a77 launch and how they have continuously improved each model of the a7x series and I expect this trend to continue. Am I a it anxious about this? Of course as this is a new sensor and stuff happens but I can return it if it does.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Received notice from Sony NL today: delivery, regrettably, postponed till mid August.

Perhaps they had forgotten all about publishing reviews and providing sample photos first before actual shipping ...

Last edited by Knorp; 23rd July 2015 at 10:45.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Knots, that is not good news.... If yours is delayed my bet is ours will be delayed as well it's just a matter of time before we get our dear John letters.

I would rather have a camera that is ready for market than one that we become the beta testers. Maybe they found something that needed a tweak. Not that I shoot video or for that matter ever will but the post about the rx100 over heating in video mode kinda raised a warning flag that the a7rII could be delayed.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Knots, that is not good news.... If yours is delayed my bet is ours will be delayed as well it's just a matter of time before we get our dear John letters.

I would rather have a camera that is ready for market than one that we become the beta testers. Maybe they found something that needed a tweak. Not that I shoot video or for that matter ever will but the post about the rx100 over heating in video mode kinda raised a warning flag that the a7rII could be delayed.
    It is really too 'knots' for words ! If you pre-order a camera now it shows delivery on 13th or 14th of August.
    Oh well, just have to wait a little longer.

All the best.
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

At least they've got the help guide up now: ILCE-7RM2 Help Guide
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    At least they've got the help guide up now: ILCE-7RM2 Help Guide
    Help guide is of no help, i don't see " did not receive my camera on time "
    While looking at all the functions i was in despair, why don't they take care of the photographer buyer.
    They should have a first layer in the menues with the commonly and necessary commands and choices, simple and thought for photographers, like on a Leica.

Then, under this first layer whatever they imagine they want to throw in that we seldom or more surely will never use.

I sent a mail to Sony asking confirmation of the delivery date, 29 or 30 july.

Post Thanks / Like

It is really too 'knots' for words ! If you pre-order a camera now it shows delivery on 13th or 14th of August.
    Oh well, just have to wait a little longer.

All the best.
    Sorry Knorp good ole iPhone spell check at work .....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Knorp good ole iPhone spell check at work .....
    No problem, actually 'knots' is a Dutch word too, but with different meanings ...
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Help guide is of no help, i don't see " did not receive my camera on time "
    While looking at all the functions i was in despair, why don't they take care of the photographer buyer.
    They should have a first layer in the menues with the commonly and necessary commands and choices, simple and thought for photographers, like on a Leica.

Then, under this first layer whatever they imagine they want to throw in that we seldom or more surely will never use.

I sent a mail to Sony asking confirmation of the delivery date, 29 or 30 july.
    Agreed, this Help Guide is as weird (or 'knots') as the camera's menu.
    But it is helpful nevertheless.

Goodluck asking Sony for confirmation !

All the best.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

My vendor says first week of August.

Best regards
    Erik

All the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Sony Hong Kong announced a pre-order and was almost immediately sold out! Those who were successful will get their A7r m2 on the 2nd week of August. My guess is in Singapore, there is a slight delay. Usually, after the launch it will be available for sale within the next few days. But in this case, it might be 1-2 weeks after the launch. It appears Japan will get the first batch in the first week of August. But the menu is in Japanese and cannot be changed.

Post Thanks / Like

All the best.

Well well, Sony answered rather quickly.
    A7rII arrives here in France on the 27th of july and i should receive it as stated, two days later.
    Cheers...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well well, Sony answered rather quickly.
    A7rII arrives here in France on the 27th of july and i should receive it as stated, two days later.
    Cheers...
    That's good news for you, Louis !

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

That's good news for you, Louis !

Kind regards.
    Great for everyone also, they will not be delayed.
    Kind regards

Post Thanks / Like

New mail from Sony, deliveries delayed too in France, not before the 14th of august.
    Dutch customers are better informed...

Post Thanks / Like

Not that I enjoy it but I have grown to accept that a good percentage of Sony product launches are delayed past their initial stated release dates. Birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim, and Sony has to push back release dates....... Just the nature of things

Sony Store USA is still saying Aug 4th as their ship date but with delays announced by both Europe members here and now NZ I fully expect to get a Sony dear John letter the last few days of July. Oh well we have all been down this road before ... Nothing new here if this happens.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

New mail from Sony, deliveries delayed too in France, not before the 14th of august.
    Dutch customers are better informed...
    Not necessarily better, just earlier perhaps ...
    Sorry Louis, seems we are in the same boat.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, BH Photo still has shipping date as August 5.

Post Thanks / Like

I had to contact the Sony Store USA on another item and asked if the estimated ship date of 8/4/15 was still valid for the a7rII? For what it's worth the rep checked and verified 8/4 estimated ship date from them in the USA was still correct.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[QUOTE=anGy;651197]At least here's two I shot last saturday.

I know this street in Paris.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by anGy View Post
    At least here's two I shot last saturday.
    I know this street in Paris.
    I might be mistaken but I think it's Brussels

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have little doubt it will be better than the A7r (not too difficult really.) Whether or not it will deliver as much as folks are hoping for, or whether it proves to be better than any of the near future competition will remain to be seen. We'll know in a few weeks, Guy will have one of the first ! I suspect most Sony shooters will be very happy to have this update.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I suspect the A7RII won't suffer the mirror/shutter vibrations of the Canon 5DSR.

Canon 5DSR Mirror/Shutter vibration test: Canon EOS-1D / 5D / 6D Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I have little doubt it will be better than the A7r (not too difficult really.) Whether or not it will deliver as much as folks are hoping for, or whether it proves to be better than any of the near future competition will remain to be seen. We'll know in a few weeks, Guy will have one of the first ! I suspect most Sony shooters will be very happy to have this update.
    As I no longer have my A7R the all new A7RM2 will be much better in every aspect: not too difficult really ...

Kind regards.

Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    I suspect the A7RII won't suffer the mirror/shutter vibrations of the Canon 5DSR.

Canon 5DSR Mirror/Shutter vibration test: Canon EOS-1D / 5D / 6D Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
    Hi there K-H, I didn't care then and I won't care now !
    Just find a suitable work-around to it.

All the very best.
    Bart ...