Site Sponsors

Thread: Sony 70-200 F4 issues

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony 70-200 F4 issues

I rented this lens for this week to do runway shooting and have to be honest on every AFC focus setting the lens hunts pretty bad. I mean I'll jump from 30 ft to infinity or minimum focus very quickly out of focus. It's so bad my assistant and I went to AFS large focus box to upper vertical spot to work. Now the lens is very sharp and doing a good job here but AFC it seems like something wrong with the lens. We are able to work so not in panic mode but not what I expected. Just for the record and not to blame low light because I control the production booth so I'm at ISO 800 1/320 at 5.6 so I really can't blame the lighting because it's bright. This is with both the A7II and A6000. A6000 is actually better here.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sony 70-200 F4 issues

Curious indeed! I've just come off a 2 week rafting trip in the Yukon and Alaska and used this lens for over 1,000 shots in all weather conditions and it worked perfectly the whole time. Sounds like you got a bad example, Guy.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure you already checked this, but is the focus limiter on or off? Focus can be indecisive with the limiter off, although the lens gets there eventually. On the other hand, I discovered that when I turn the limiter on, it sometimes prevents me from focussing on things much farther out than I anticipated. (Like 9-10 feet away.) The range is indicated on the lens, but somehow I still get surprised once in a while.

I use the small focusing rectangle with no problems, but on the other hand I seldom use continuous focus with this lens.

--d

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it surprised me too Guy...... I have seen some excellent wildlife and BIF stuff from Bill using that lens on his a7II.... Bill's photo's with that lens is one of the reasons I took interest in the A7 line.