Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: "Full frame" APS-C cameras :D

  1. #1
    Senior Member Rawfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    2,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    "Full frame" APS-C cameras :D

    If the new APS-C e-mount Sony cameras also allow full AF with Canon lenses like the A7RII this would mean that an electronic speedbooster would turn them into a sort of completely automatic full frame cameras...how awesome would that be

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,604
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: "Full frame" APS-C cameras :D

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    If the new APS-C e-mount Sony cameras also allow full AF with Canon lenses like the A7RII this would mean that an electronic speedbooster would turn them into a sort of completely automatic full frame cameras...how awesome would that be
    Imo, much better/cheaper to use the canon lenses on canon bodies.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    232
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "Full frame" APS-C cameras :D

    sounds almost like when olympus and panasonic call their camera full frame 4/3......
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

  4. #4
    Senior Member Rawfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    2,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "Full frame" APS-C cameras :D

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Imo, much better/cheaper to use the canon lenses on canon bodies.
    Seriously? I would assume that eventually ALL Sony e-mount cameras will allow full AF on Canon lenses...even low end models. Canon bodies don't have EVF, they're not compact, they don't have ibis, and so forth. For me having a compact e-mount APS-C camera with all of Sony's specs, that I can use with the huge existing variety of Canon lenses with full AF in "full frame mode" is absolutely incredible for both photo and video.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Rawfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    2,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "Full frame" APS-C cameras :D

    Quote Originally Posted by UHDR View Post
    sounds almost like when olympus and panasonic call their camera full frame 4/3......

    Come on, it doesn't sound like that at all. You won't get the iso performance of a FF camera, but you know you WILL get the FF FOV when you use a speedbooster, plus the 1 fstop light gain.
    I have no doubt that the little guy who cannot afford expensive FF Canon, Sony FE bodies or FE lenses will be thrilled to have such an opportunity.
    The photographic community really needs to stop being so snobbish and elitist.

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "Full frame" APS-C cameras :D

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    Come on, it doesn't sound like that at all. You won't get the iso performance of a FF camera, but you know you WILL get the FF FOV when you use a speedbooster, plus the 1 fstop light gain.
    I have no doubt that the little guy who cannot afford expensive FF Canon, Sony FE bodies or FE lenses will be thrilled to have such an opportunity.
    The photographic community really needs to stop being so snobbish and elitist.
    I agree with Vivek. I think you are potentially setting yourself up to be disappointed with unrealistic expectations. It's possible that the lenses will do fine on good light but in lowlight the cameras will revert back to contrast detect AF which is much slower.

    If if you require AF specifically with Canon lenses the 5Dmk3 or 1Dx are your best options for that. While I think the A7R2 will be an excellent camera o believe many will be angry at Sony when performance doesn't meet the expectations developed on the minds of users with adapted lenses in all situations. That's the big reason that I'm slowly getting rid of everything that isn't an FE lens. Well except where there's a specific purpose to the optic.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  7. #7
    Senior Member Rawfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro
    Posts
    2,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "Full frame" APS-C cameras :D

    I really have to say I don't agree with that at all. I'm not talking about me specifically and I'm not talking about stills exclusively. You guys have to realize that there's a A LOT of people who simply cannot afford a Canon full frame body nor Sony's FE lenses, there's also A LOT of people who only shoot in plain day light and there's a lot of people who use these cameras for video only.

    I can give you a quick example where this would be great even for me. I've been shooting a lot of portfolio portraits for actors and models outdoors. This doesn't require blazing fast af, blazing fast tracking or ultra high iso. This is the perfect example where I could have a compact sony camera, with 3 canon primes and still have the full frame look that I love.

    Another example would be to be able to shoot videos with 3 or 4 "full frame" cameras at the same time. Do you guys honestly think that buying or even renting 4 full frame cameras for this would be a better solution?

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: "Full frame" APS-C cameras :D

    Quote Originally Posted by Rawfa View Post
    I really have to say I don't agree with that at all. I'm not talking about me specifically and I'm not talking about stills exclusively. You guys have to realize that there's a A LOT of people who simply cannot afford a Canon full frame body nor Sony's FE lenses, there's also A LOT of people who only shoot in plain day light and there's a lot of people who use these cameras for video only.

    I can give you a quick example where this would be great even for me. I've been shooting a lot of portfolio portraits for actors and models outdoors. This doesn't require blazing fast af, blazing fast tracking or ultra high iso. This is the perfect example where I could have a compact sony camera, with 3 canon primes and still have the full frame look that I love.

    Another example would be to be able to shoot videos with 3 or 4 "full frame" cameras at the same time. Do you guys honestly think that buying or even renting 4 full frame cameras for this would be a better solution?
    I hear you but I'm suggesting that maybe your expectations initially are too high without being able to do testing for yourself. I believe that it as mentioned on one of the video that features are reduced (beyond the 5 axis IBIS) with none native FE or A-mount lenses.

    Honestly I think APS-C (Super 35 sized) or a Blackmagic Camera with a speedbooster might be a great place to start for video. If that didn't work then I'd look at a dedicated video camera personally - that's just me though.

    Bottom line I think we were only offering cautious advice to be conservative and manage expectations before you know what you're getting into for certain. It's sort of like all of the M users that bought A7R's for M lens use exclusively. Many were disappointed because their expectations were too high initially.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •