The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Full frame" APS-C cameras :D

Rawfa

If the new APS-C e-mount Sony cameras also allow full AF with Canon lenses like the A7RII this would mean that an electronic speedbooster would turn them into a sort of completely automatic full frame cameras...how awesome would that be :D

V

Vivek

If the new APS-C e-mount Sony cameras also allow full AF with Canon lenses like the A7RII this would mean that an electronic speedbooster would turn them into a sort of completely automatic full frame cameras...how awesome would that be :D
Imo, much better/cheaper to use the canon lenses on canon bodies. :D

Rawfa

Imo, much better/cheaper to use the canon lenses on canon bodies. :D
Seriously? I would assume that eventually ALL Sony e-mount cameras will allow full AF on Canon lenses...even low end models. Canon bodies don't have EVF, they're not compact, they don't have ibis, and so forth. For me having a compact e-mount APS-C camera with all of Sony's specs, that I can use with the huge existing variety of Canon lenses with full AF in "full frame mode" is absolutely incredible for both photo and video.

Rawfa

sounds almost like when olympus and panasonic call their camera full frame 4/3...... :cool:

Come on, it doesn't sound like that at all. You won't get the iso performance of a FF camera, but you know you WILL get the FF FOV when you use a speedbooster, plus the 1 fstop light gain.
I have no doubt that the little guy who cannot afford expensive FF Canon, Sony FE bodies or FE lenses will be thrilled to have such an opportunity.
The photographic community really needs to stop being so snobbish and elitist.

iiiNelson

Come on, it doesn't sound like that at all. You won't get the iso performance of a FF camera, but you know you WILL get the FF FOV when you use a speedbooster, plus the 1 fstop light gain.
I have no doubt that the little guy who cannot afford expensive FF Canon, Sony FE bodies or FE lenses will be thrilled to have such an opportunity.
The photographic community really needs to stop being so snobbish and elitist.
I agree with Vivek. I think you are potentially setting yourself up to be disappointed with unrealistic expectations. It's possible that the lenses will do fine on good light but in lowlight the cameras will revert back to contrast detect AF which is much slower.

If if you require AF specifically with Canon lenses the 5Dmk3 or 1Dx are your best options for that. While I think the A7R2 will be an excellent camera o believe many will be angry at Sony when performance doesn't meet the expectations developed on the minds of users with adapted lenses in all situations. That's the big reason that I'm slowly getting rid of everything that isn't an FE lens. Well except where there's a specific purpose to the optic.

Rawfa

I really have to say I don't agree with that at all. I'm not talking about me specifically and I'm not talking about stills exclusively. You guys have to realize that there's a A LOT of people who simply cannot afford a Canon full frame body nor Sony's FE lenses, there's also A LOT of people who only shoot in plain day light and there's a lot of people who use these cameras for video only.

I can give you a quick example where this would be great even for me. I've been shooting a lot of portfolio portraits for actors and models outdoors. This doesn't require blazing fast af, blazing fast tracking or ultra high iso. This is the perfect example where I could have a compact sony camera, with 3 canon primes and still have the full frame look that I love.

Another example would be to be able to shoot videos with 3 or 4 "full frame" cameras at the same time. Do you guys honestly think that buying or even renting 4 full frame cameras for this would be a better solution?

iiiNelson

I really have to say I don't agree with that at all. I'm not talking about me specifically and I'm not talking about stills exclusively. You guys have to realize that there's a A LOT of people who simply cannot afford a Canon full frame body nor Sony's FE lenses, there's also A LOT of people who only shoot in plain day light and there's a lot of people who use these cameras for video only.

I can give you a quick example where this would be great even for me. I've been shooting a lot of portfolio portraits for actors and models outdoors. This doesn't require blazing fast af, blazing fast tracking or ultra high iso. This is the perfect example where I could have a compact sony camera, with 3 canon primes and still have the full frame look that I love.

Another example would be to be able to shoot videos with 3 or 4 "full frame" cameras at the same time. Do you guys honestly think that buying or even renting 4 full frame cameras for this would be a better solution?
I hear you but I'm suggesting that maybe your expectations initially are too high without being able to do testing for yourself. I believe that it as mentioned on one of the video that features are reduced (beyond the 5 axis IBIS) with none native FE or A-mount lenses.

Honestly I think APS-C (Super 35 sized) or a Blackmagic Camera with a speedbooster might be a great place to start for video. If that didn't work then I'd look at a dedicated video camera personally - that's just me though.

Bottom line I think we were only offering cautious advice to be conservative and manage expectations before you know what you're getting into for certain. It's sort of like all of the M users that bought A7R's for M lens use exclusively. Many were disappointed because their expectations were too high initially.